test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will Lifetime Members get a free T6 Ship per character?

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i only got lifetime cos i wanted the Mugato pet, everything else was a bonus.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i only got lifetime cos i wanted the Mugato pet, everything else was a bonus.

There was a promotion that gave a different color Mugato for free.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    every tier did not get a free ship, you never got a free one at lv50 plus you could not choose any ship you only had a few you could choose from, also that wasn't just for subscribers but all players.

Yes you did, level 50 is NOT a new tier and does not count.
    Tier 6 on the other hand is a brand new full TIER of ship, and there definitely should be a selection of free Tier 6 to choose from, just like it was for Tier's 1 through 5.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I am not going to get into an entitlement debate. I have seen posts from people on this forum who feel spending $5.00 a year on any game is too much money and that everything should be free to them. I have seen posts from other people who have no problem dropping hundreds of dollars a year on the game. There is no one answer that encompasses everyone's subjective opinion.

People feel entitled because most AAA MMORPG's give infinitely more value for the money than STO and Cryptic does.

500 zen a month is expected to be enough for everything, bank slots, inventory slots, doff slots, respecs, etc etc.
    And for that 500 a month won't get you very far, especially if you have multiple characters.

In addition, Free 2 Play conversion screwed over subscribers big time, as it completely removed their ability to directly respec for free, not to mention that they got short-changed on the dilithium conversion of the old Merit currency.
  • Options
    omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They should give all subscribers a free T6 ship that would also cost dilithium for non-subscribers!
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    People feel entitled because most AAA MMORPG's give infinitely more value for the money than STO and Cryptic does.
    That is pure BS. I am currently Subscribed to 5 different MMOs and none of them give me vastly more value for my money.
    500 zen a month is expected to be enough for everything, bank slots, inventory slots, doff slots, respecs, etc etc.
    And for that 500 a month won't get you very far, especially if you have multiple characters.
    I have multiple characters - 14 currently. Not everyone needs more bank slots, inventory slots, etc when playing. I have never purchased a bank slot in this game, nor an inventory slot, nor a doff slot, etc. And in fact, I have 6-7 Respects given to me as a Gold member and I do not believe I have used a Respect in over 3 years - outside of the free ones given when they changed the skill tree.
    In addition, Free 2 Play conversion screwed over subscribers big time, as it completely removed their ability to directly respec for free, not to mention that they got short-changed on the dilithium conversion of the old Merit currency.
    What does what Silver players get have to do with Stipend? Oh, yeah. Nothing, as Silver players do not get Stipends. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That is pure BS. I am currently Subscribed to 5 different MMOs and none of them give me vastly more value for my money.
    Funny, most MMORPG's i play as a subscriber pretty much give you access to the entire game, and do not hide equipment, gear, respecs and character progression, behind time gates and paywalls like Cryptic does.
    At least one of them offers full and complete content updates for subscribers at no additional cost, using microtransactions for nothing more than cosmetic fluff and convenience items.

And while several make you pay for the major expansion packs, they are hell of a lot cheaper than Cryptics model, and gives you full and complete access to EVERYTHING for no additional cost.
    The Delta Rising pack is an obscenely overpriced joke compared to what other MMORPG's offer.
    I have multiple characters - 14 currently. Not everyone needs more bank slots, inventory slots, etc when playing. I have never purchased a bank slot in this game, nor an inventory slot, nor a doff slot, etc. And in fact, I have 6-7 Respects given to me as a Gold member and I do not believe I have used a Respect in over 3 years - outside of the free ones given when they changed the skill tree.
    Good for "you".

What does what Silver players get have to do with Stipend? Oh, yeah. Nothing, as Silver players do not get Stipends. :)
    Reading comprehension problems much? I wasn't talking about Silver Players.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    are you saying you are going into the elite to purposefully fail it?

I'll try my darnest not to fail.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Funny, most MMORPG's i play as a subscriber pretty much give you access to the entire game, and do not hide equipment, gear, respecs and character progression, behind time gates and paywalls like Cryptic does.
    Shall we walk over and play SWTOR together? You want a Tauntaun? $30.00, and $10.00 more if you want it as an Account-wide Unlock. You want a different Costume? Between $5.00 and $25.00; and more if you want it as an Account Unlock. You want to open one of their "Lockboxes?" $5.00 and you get some costume pieces, a crafting item, some Boosts, and a slight chance at a Mount or something more substantial. You want to decorate your homestead? $5.00 to $15.00 for a box of furniture. You want to buy a Dye Pack to change the color of your costume? $3.00 for two random dyes that you might or might not like. And all of this the same whether you Subscribe or not - though as a Subscriber you get 500 Credits per month to help with the cost. And all of this with no system to earn free Credits.

Shall we go and talk about LotRO now? :)
    The Delta Rising pack is an obscenely overpriced joke compared to what other MMORPG's offer.
    Delta Pack is a bunch of C-Store items you do not need to play the Expansion Content. I am uncertain with all the Tribble videos currently on YouTube full of people doing that Content with their existing ships why that is unclear to you. All the Mission Content is free; unlike other MMOs which charge you for the playable Content.
    Good for "you".
    Yes, it is good for me, and good for thousands of others too.
    Reading comprehension problems much? I wasn't talking about Silver Players.
    You are the one who stated things changed for Subscribers. Pre-FTP Subscribers got a fixed number of free Respects. Post-FTP Subscribers get a fixed number of free Respects. It only changed for Silver players.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014

That time when we got free inventory/bank slots was nice, but I need no stinken extra slots, except for ship slots.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll say what I said in another, similar thread:

If you've been around for a while, you should know better than to ask this question.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Shall we walk over and play SWTOR together? You want a Tauntaun? $30.00, and $10.00 more if you want it as an Account-wide Unlock. You want a different Costume? Between $5.00 and $25.00; and more if you want it as an Account Unlock. You want to open one of their "Lockboxes?" $5.00 and you get some costume pieces, a crafting item, some Boosts, and a slight chance at a Mount or something more substantial. You want to decorate your homestead? $5.00 to $15.00 for a box of furniture. You want to buy a Dye Pack to change the color of your costume? $3.00 for two random dyes that you might or might not like. And all of this the same whether you Subscribe or not - though as a Subscriber you get 500 Credits per month to help with the cost. And all of this with no system to earn free Credits.

Shall we go and talk about LotRO now? :)
    SWTOR is another of those money hungry buisness models, that big buisness seem interested in as of late, which is exactly why I don't play games that have been ruined by it. :rolleyes:

As for Lotro, I stopped playing about a year ago from lack of interest, but last I recall you pretty much had full and complete access to everything in the game without paying through your nose as a subscriber, barring major expansion packs, which are as mentioned before a lot cheaper than trying to muddle through STO these days.
    As a subscriber not once did I at ever at any point run into a paywall playing the game.

Delta Pack is a bunch of C-Store items you do not need to play the Expansion Content. I am uncertain with all the Tribble videos currently on YouTube full of people doing that Content with their existing ships why that is unclear to you. All the Mission Content is free; unlike other MMOs which charge you for the playable Content.
    You sure got a way with putting your words into peoples mouths. :rolleyes:
    Quite frankly I rather actually pay for the content at a lesser fee, than be bogged down with all the paywalls and hybrid pawall/time gate TRIBBLE(I.E the new failure of a crafting and upgrade system.) And end up paying many times more to get full and complete enjoyment out of the game.

And for a thousand others it isn't nearly enough.
    You are the one who stated things changed for Subscribers. Pre-FTP Subscribers got a fixed number of free Respects. Post-FTP Subscribers get a fixed number of free Respects. It only changed for Silver players.
    False, before FTP subscribers could respec completely for free at any time, provided they had enough merits.
    Merits were rewarded from virtually every single mission in the game, and it was a currency that did not involve sacrificing something else.
    You played the game, eventually you "earned" enough for a respec, plain and simple.
    F2P made all respecs Zen-Only.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SWTOR is another of those money hungry buisness models, that big buisness seem interested in as of late, which is exactly why I don't play games that have been ruined by it. :rolleyes:
    Of course, the only comparable game as far as IP standards does not count based on your scale. Of course. :)
    As for Lotro, I stopped playing about a year ago from lack of interest, but last I recall you pretty much had full and complete access to everything in the game without paying through your nose as a subscriber, barring major expansion packs, which are as mentioned before a lot cheaper than trying to muddle through STO these days.
    As a subscriber not once did I at ever at any point run into a paywall playing the game.
    $20.00 Steeds in the LotRO store. Content Packs in the store, etc.
    You sure got a way with putting your words into peoples mouths. :rolleyes:
    Quite frankly I rather actually pay for the content at a lesser fee, than be bogged down with all the paywalls and hybrid pawall/time gate TRIBBLE(I.E the new failure of a crafting and upgrade system.) And end up paying many times more to get full and complete enjoyment out of the game.
    I honestly do not think you read what you write. You said the Pack was over-priced compared to other MMOs. I was pointing out that playable Content is free in STO. You are not paying for an Expansion of Missions as you are in other MMOs. And the game does not require you to buy the fluff items. It is your choice whether you want the fluff items, be that a TOS Connie or a Eclipse Intel Cruiser. Your choice. The game does not require you to have either.
    False, before FTP subscribers could respec completely for free at any time, provided they had enough merits.
    Merits were rewarded from virtually every single mission in the game, and it was a currency that did not involve sacrificing something else.
    You played the game, eventually you "earned" enough for a respec, plain and simple.
    F2P made all respecs Zen-Only.
    At the end of the day it is still one grind currency versus another. Grind for Merits, grind for EC, grind for GPL, grind for Dilithium. They are all grind currencies. If you have enough you get what you want for free.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2014

At the end of the day it is still one grind currency versus another. Grind for Merits, grind for EC, grind for GPL, grind for Dilithium. They are all grind currencies. If you have enough you get what you want for free.

I want a foot long chili-cheese dog and a berry slurpee. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Of course, the only comparable game as far as IP standards does not count based on your scale. Of course. :)
    IP is irrelevant, I'm talking about the MMORPG genre.
    $20.00 Steeds in the LotRO store. Content Packs in the store, etc.
    Steeds are pretty much just vanity items without any actual impact on gameplay.
    And content packs are for free players, Subscribers actually get access to all the content at no extra cost.
    I honestly do not think you read what you write. You said the Pack was over-priced compared to other MMOs. I was pointing out that playable Content is free in STO. You are not paying for an Expansion of Missions as you are in other MMOs. And the game does not require you to buy the fluff items. It is your choice whether you want the fluff items, be that a TOS Connie or a Eclipse Intel Cruiser. Your choice. The game does not require you to have either.
    Which kinda makes it even worse, paying much more for comparatively less. :rolleyes:

Except merits weren't really a grind, you got them from virtually any activity.
    If you just played the game having enough merits for a respec was inevitable.

Dilithium on the other hand is a much rarer and valuble currency thats used for pretty much all endgame progression, which forces you to make sacrifices if you need to respec and don't want to pay for it.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    LoR.

8 free ships.

x free oufits (5-10?)

Free playable species

Now they got you paying money for 10% hull hp that amounts to zero developer work.

That basically pwns anything you have to say

But the expansions aside I said from the get-go subs and people who spend money in general, get way too little for their money.

If anything the models favours people playing for free to the point I don't get how the servers are still up
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Which kinda makes it even worse, paying much more for comparatively less. :rolleyes:
    For whatever reason you do not seem to grasp the difference between want and need. Wanting something because it is cool to you is not the same thing as needing it. You might want a Bentley to drive your kids to school. That does not mean you cannot achieve the same objective in a Corolla. You can play and enjoy all leveling Content from 1 to 50 - soon to be level 60 - in this game in free ships using free gear without incident. That does not mean you might not want something cooler, but want is not need.
    Dilithium on the other hand is a much rarer and valuble currency thats used for pretty much all endgame progression,
    And paid to you in virtually every end-game activity. Do ESTFs, earn Dilithium. Do Foundry, earn Dilithium. Do Dailies, earn Dilithium. Go into the Dyson Sphere, earn Diltihium. It is almost impossible to not earn Dilithium at end-game.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    LoR.

8 free ships.

x free oufits (5-10?)

Free playable species

Now they got you paying money for 10% hull hp that amounts to zero developer work.

But the expansions aside I said from the get-go subs and people who spend money in general, get way too little for their money.

If anything the models favours people playing for free to the point I don't get how the servers are still up
    You forgot to mention the animations. You better edit that in before you draw bad karma to yourself. :)
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As an LTS, would I object to getting a free T6 or T5u token?

Absolutely not.

Would I be in the slightest bit annoyed if they didn't give us that?

Absolutely not.

I'm happy with the value I've already got from my LTS, but I'd not object to more.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    At the end of the day, all the content is designed to work with a Tier 5 ship, regular bog standard Tier 5 ship, no fancy upgrades, and Tribble testing appears to confirm this as well.

Tier 6 is just optional benefits for PvPers, those desperate for more power and the idiots who think you have to buy the Delta pack to be able to play the game after the 14th of October.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Oh do they really? Please give examples of how other major MMO's 'give more' value if you're going to make such a wild claim...
    vestereng wrote: »
    LoR.

8 free ships.

x free oufits (5-10?)

Free playable species

And would you please give the whole '8 free ships' argument a rest... There was a clear and simple reason - Romulans...

Furthermore, just because LOW TIER ships were added for free in LoR, does not mean that we are going to receive free ships with every new Xpack...

It would be a bit hard to add a new faction and not give them new ships, unless of course they were just going to use the ships of their allied faction, but that would seem pretty pointless adding them to the game to begin with then...

Cryptic is proud to announce our latest expansion : Gamma Expanding! Players will finally be able to create playable Cardassian Captains, however, we will not be adding any new Cardassian ships, instead they will just use random ships from the Federation and KDF!
    - this would be met with a meltdown from people like yourself...

Once again with your statements about lack of 'developer work' in relation to T5U - again, there's more than just opening notepad as you've claimed in other threads - while you conveniently ignore an entire FREE Xpack...

There was next to nothing added in LoR for Federation or KDF... It was virtually all Romulan content...

Delta Rising is adding a whole new playable Quadrant... Where was the new Quadrant with LoR, why was a new Quadrant not added with LoR if they can with Delta Rising? I demand Cryptic retroactively add a new Quadrant to LoR because Delta Rising adds one!!1!

You're whipping a dead horse with this rot and, despite holes being poked in this argument left and right, you still harp on with it - give it a rest already...

Cryptic are a business, they exist to make a profit... STO's F2P model is one of the most generous I have ever seen and the fact Cryptic have ensured all the new content (perhaps outside of the revamped Elite STF's) is playable, without the need to purchase a T6, or even a T5U upgrade is an indication that they are not so money grubbing as many claim...

Once again, I challenge you actually provide proof of your claims that Cryptic have put no effort what so ever into Delta Rising as a whole, not just your perceived lack of effort into the T5U process...

You are focusing on this while intentionally ignoring everything else in an entire Xpack of FREE content!
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    For whatever reason you do not seem to grasp the difference between want and need. Wanting something because it is cool to you is not the same thing as needing it. You might want a Bentley to drive your kids to school. That does not mean you cannot achieve the same objective in a Corolla. You can play and enjoy all leveling Content from 1 to 50 - soon to be level 60 - in this game in free ships using free gear without incident. That does not mean you might not want something cooler, but want is not need.
    Yeah... at this point I simply can't be assed wasting my time explaining just how wrong that is, so whatever. :rolleyes:

And paid to you in virtually every end-game activity. Do ESTFs, earn Dilithium. Do Foundry, earn Dilithium. Do Dailies, earn Dilithium. Go into the Dyson Sphere, earn Diltihium. It is almost impossible to not earn Dilithium at end-game.
    Dilithium is also time-gated.
    The old merit currency had no restrictions of any kind.
    And dilithium still cannot be used to respec directly at, instead you need to trade in considerable amounts of it for Zen, how much being entirely up to the whim of the community.
    And as mentioned, if you want to respec you are forced to prioritize and make sacrifices.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Yeah... at this point I simply can't be assed wasting my time explaining just how wrong that is, so whatever. :rolleyes:

In short, because what he said is true...

There is no need for T5U and T6 ships to complete the new Delta Rising content, as it's all tuned to be playable by a standard T5 ship...

You want the new shiny ships however.... You don't need them, you want them...

Very distinct difference...

• Options
    edited September 2014
    As someone who has tested the Content on Tribble going all the way down to a free T4 Galaxy, I can assure you that T5U and T6 ships are not necessary. But for your player skill level maybe they are. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    Oh do they really? Please give examples of how other major MMO's 'give more' value if you're going to make such a wild claim...

Oh i dunno, complete and unimpeded access to pretty much the entire game for as long as you subscribe? :rolleyes:
    Not to mention full and complete character progression.
    And in STO a ship is 50% of your character with T6 ships introducing entirely new mechanics and perks, which you won't get access to if you don't want to cough up Zen, even if your a subscriber.

Hell, cryptic even revamped the entire crafting system around monetizing it, and I honestly don't think I have ever played a subscription based MMORPG that does that.
    Even top level endgame gear is now going to be locked behind a timegate/paywall. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    In short, because what he said is true...

There is no need for T5U and T6 ships to complete the new Delta Rising content, as it's all tuned to be playable by a standard T5 ship...

You want the new shiny ships however.... You don't need them, you want them...

Very distinct difference...

Quite frankly I find the whole notion of a need/want distinction in a game to be laughable.
    Sticking only with the bare essentials makes for a very poor gameplay experience and detracts from from its enjoyment.

Also, making people pay a second or third time for the ships they already have has got to be the sickest and greediest cash grab ive seen yet.
    At the very least T5-U ship upgrades should be entirely free to subscribers, that at least would be an acceptable compromise.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Oh i dunno, complete and unimpeded access to pretty much the entire game for as long as you subscribe? :rolleyes:
    Not to mention full and complete character progression.
    And in STO a ship is 50% of your character with T6 ships introducing entirely new mechanics and perks, which you won't get access to if you don't want to cough up Zen, even if your a subscriber.

Hell, cryptic even revamped the entire crafting system around monetizing it, and I honestly don't think I have ever played a subscription based MMORPG that does that.
    Even top level endgame gear is now going to be locked behind a timegate/paywall. :rolleyes:

Cryptic ARE giving you complete and unimpeded access to the entire game, and they're doing it for FREE... All the game's content is freely playable...

Oh, but I see what you mean, you want access to all the ships if you have a subscription...

Funny thing with that...

Subscribers paid their money knowing full well what STO's subscription model included... If they decided to pay their money and then go onto whinge about not getting more stuff for free, that's their failure, not Cryptic's...

They made the choice to subscribe... If you've played since before the F2P model, and are still subscribing, that is also a choice which you have to accept...

STO's business model revolves around F2P players - it's very generous for a F2P model... You talk about AAA MMO's 'offering more' - go check out SWTOR if you want an indication of how a AAA MMO does F2P...

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Or WOWs f2p until you hit level 15
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Quite frankly I find the whole notion of a need/want distinction in a game to be laughable.
    Sticking only with the bare essentials makes for a very poor gameplay experience and detracts from from its enjoyment.

Also, making people pay a second or third time for the ships they already have has got to be the sickest and greediest cash grab ive seen yet.
    At the very least T5-U ship upgrades should be entirely free to subscribers, that at least would be an acceptable compromise.

Bare essentials? What bare essentials?

CStore ships are not ESSENTIAL to play this game - NEVER HAVE BEEN!

CStore items in general are NOT ESSENTIAL...

Once again, you are mistaking your wants - content on the CStore- with needs - the entirely FREE playable content...

As far has 'paying multiple times' for your ship... You purchased those ships in a given state... You made the decision with no additional criteria they would be upgraded to the next tier for free...

Would you expect Cryptic to allow free upgrades of the NX Replica all the way to T6? No? Why not? I've bought it, I should be able to use it for my entire experience!

This is the argument you are making, so I ask you, should Cryptic make the NX Replica a free upgrade all the way to T6? What about the Connie? People want that as an end-game ship too...

We all purchased T5.5 CStore ships in the state they were in at the time, Cryptic are under no obligation to add to that purchase agreement by providing a free upgrade...

Would it be nice for them to do so? Yes it would... Are they obligated? No, I don't recall any purchase agreement saying they must...

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic ARE giving you complete and unimpeded access to the entire game, and they're doing it for FREE... All the game's content is freely playable...

Oh, but I see what you mean, you want access to all the ships if you have a subscription...

Funny thing with that...

Subscribers paid their money knowing full well what STO's subscription model included... If they decided to pay their money and then go onto whinge about not getting more stuff for free, that's their failure, not Cryptic's...

They made the choice to subscribe... If you've played since before the F2P model, and are still subscribing, that is also a choice which you have to accept...

STO's business model revolves around F2P players - it's very generous for a F2P model... You talk about AAA MMO's 'offering more' - go check out SWTOR if you want an indication of how a AAA MMO does F2P...

False, you are required to pay if you want to experience the new starship progression system that DR is introducing.
    Its just as much game content as anything else.