test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has the Future degraded to Greed?

cenellcenell Member Posts: 88 Arc User
From what I have been reading, there has been a lot of concern about all this new "upgrade" stuff from many players. Upgrade this ship, upgrade those consoles, upgrade that weapon. I do not know how every one else feels about this, but to me, this all feels like one big "cha-CHING"! for Cryptic and I am genuinely concerned STO is losing the mission and focus it once had.

Didn't used to be pay to win, I mean sure, you can "buy" the best most "newest" ships, you can purchase all the dil you want, It was still set on you had to "earn" what you carried, be in fleet marks, reputations, missions, whatever.

Now, it just seems with this new ever increasing "upgrade" system, STO is heading more towards that " pay to win" scenario so many people hate, loathe, dislike, etc.

I hope this is going to be taken seriously as I thoroughly enjoy STO in many ways, my only personal gripe would be upgrading a ship(such as the scimitar) that I already invested a significant portion of money into, another "payment" seems a little excessive.

But I digress, I am not against cryptic making money, keeps everything running, but making money by turning the game into "pay to win" I can't see a future in that.
Post edited by cenell on

Comments

• qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So far, the ship upgrade costs have not been set, so no idea what those will end up being. As for the gear upgrades, that has all been via the crafting system, in my experience on Tribble, lately. Farm mats, make upgrade items, apply to gear. Short of wanting to accelerate the process by (unnecessarily) buying R&D packs, there seems to be no real money involved.
    dgbgfnkqi05e.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Welcome to PWE games!

In all honestly, nothing in STO requires spending actual money. Everything....mostly everything, can be got via earning currency in game and then turning it into Zen to buy stuff.

They cater for everyone, the rich whales, the impatient and the smart sensible player.

You just need to choose which one of those you want to be...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    by the strictest sense you can get everything you want from the game without putting a penny into it by farming and grinding the system. there have been detractors who state the same as yourself "greed" by the company, but you also need to see it from cryptics point of view, they have to show profits to PWE and cryptic needs to survive by making money, that means what ever means they can employ, then it will happen and none of our opinions will change that because you agreed to the eula like anyone else who plays STO or CO or NWO.

if you dont like the system you dont need to use it, but the game is there for you to play without charge, the core content is free wihout charge, but you want stuff to help your ship and toon out, you have to work for it by farming and grinding EC and dil to get it for the most part, between that rep marks and system that offer a few good devices, consoles and such.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cenell wrote: »
    From what I have been reading, there has been a lot of concern about all this new "upgrade" stuff from many players. Upgrade this ship, upgrade those consoles, upgrade that weapon. I do not know how every one else feels about this, but to me, this all feels like one big "cha-CHING"! for Cryptic and I am genuinely concerned STO is losing the mission and focus it once had.

Didn't used to be pay to win, I mean sure, you can "buy" the best most "newest" ships, you can purchase all the dil you want, It was still set on you had to "earn" what you carried, be in fleet marks, reputations, missions, whatever.

Now, it just seems with this new ever increasing "upgrade" system, STO is heading more towards that " pay to win" scenario so many people hate, loathe, dislike, etc.

I hope this is going to be taken seriously as I thoroughly enjoy STO in many ways, my only personal gripe would be upgrading a ship(such as the scimitar) that I already invested a significant portion of money into, another "payment" seems a little excessive.

But I digress, I am not against cryptic making money, keeps everything running, but making money by turning the game into "pay to win" I can't see a future in that.

bad news friend...

since you don't have to give cyptic any money at all it's still not play to win. it may be call craft to win but the call pay the game and gofforbid anyone actualy does that.

you paid for a tier 5 ship you got a tier 5 ship. you have no right to ask for more no matter how much you paid you got what you paid for. now any other game would tell you were you can stick your entitlement but cryptic likes you so they will let you upgrade it but the need to keep the lights on so you give them 5 - 10 dollars... a 3rd to a 6th what tier ship is likely to cost. and what a week grind if you can't buy zen.

check your entitlement.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looks like guys and gals at cryptic had hired a new Ferengi accountant somewhere before s9.

Crafting system is a huge resource sink or an immense timegate, comparable in scope to building your own single-track fleet holding (like, say, half of an embassy). Better yet, new gear upgrade system makes it a half-necessity - without ability to craft own upgrade kits, average player will be forced to rely on drops (haha) or paying through the nose on exchange for kits created by other players (who don't get rich in the process, and just try to cut losses from leveling crafting).

Take into account playing actively on more than one character and/or using more than one ship on given character.

I know for sure I was priced out of the incoming "upgrades" (9 characters, 7 of them actually played, 3 or 4 of them using more than one ship). I will be relying heavily on upgraded risian ships and maybe, somewhere in the future, upgrade dual banks I use for BO to mk 14. Thats about everything I will be getting from DR.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For the life of me, I can't see why folks are making this complaint now...when it's been like this since before S6. Cause the same complaint has been made since then...perhaps it is just folks with their subjective view of the matter where their personal threshold has been reached, while the objective matter has been the same since the F2P conversion...
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is still no outright P2W stuff in STO, which is kinda impressive. Everything is just a matter of patience. Everything with zen costs can be bought via the dilithium workaround, just takes quite a while.
    Regarding all the upgarde stuff:
    Almost all event ships that required no money will get a free T5U upgrade. They may not be everyones favorite choice but that's a freebie from cryptic, like it or not that's what we get.
    Upgrading our gear does also not involve money, only stuff that can be obtained in-game. It does require a good amount of resources but no zen is involved in any step of the process.

STO is not P2W but extremly "pay for convenience" since there are timers and caps all over the place. Sure, you can spend hundreds of bucks to get dilithium to speed up everything but that's your own fault since you could also just wait and do something else instead.
  • kara445kara445 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    bad news friend...

and what a week grind if you can't buy zen.

A week of grind ?? good for you if you have the time to grind 15 toons per day, but some people work so they can't do that
    For the life of me, I can't see why folks are making this complaint now...when it's been like this since before S6. Cause the same complaint has been made since then...perhaps it is just folks with their subjective view of the matter where their personal threshold has been reached, while the objective matter has been the same since the F2P conversion...

Hooo i miss so much the time before the f2p conversion, This time where the server was stable (yes it happened) the time where cryptic swear to us the shop will be only for vanity stuff, the time they promis the game will never become f2p, the time they promise they will never sell ships buy the shop .....

Hooo i hurt myslef
    edited September 2014
    kara445 wrote: »
    A week of grind ?? good for you if you have the time to grind 15 toons per day, but some people work so they can't do that

Hooo i miss so much the time before the f2p conversion, This time where the server was stable (yes it happened) the time where cryptic swear to us the shop will be only for vanity stuff, the time they promis the game will never become f2p, the time they promise they will never sell ships buy the shop .....

Hooo i hurt myslef

I have 3. and am faaarrrrrr to lazy to stress myself over making sure I log on ever day and grind up some dil.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014

i still prefer the pre-f2p to this stuff, far more simpler times.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited September 2014
    I have 3. and am faaarrrrrr to lazy to stress myself over making sure I log on ever day and grind up some dil.

ok so let say the convertion is around 180 dili per zen

a ship is 2500 zen So :

2500*180= 450000 dilithium need for the ship

you have 3 toons so you do 8000*3 dili per day so 24000

now how much day for the ship :

450000/24000 = 18.75

and the end you need 19 days for have just one ship so we are far of you "a week of grind"
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This may be a science fiction game, but we play it now, not in the future.

And it's not greed. It is just business.

The servers don't run itself. New missions don't make themselves (ask a Foundry author). New ships don't make themselves. new mechanics don't make themselves.

Cryptic needs money to continue making the game. They also need profits so that the shareholders of Perfect World are kept happy (which is who Perfect World is responsible to).

How would you know it's greed? How much money do you think gets reinvested into the game(s), and how much many is used to buy private Yachts or swim in gold coins?

If you think it's too expensive, you can complain, but ultimately, the only meaningful thing to do that really proves its too expensive is that you stop buying. Cryptic will only react when sales go down.

Complaints help them know why sales decline, but without a decline, there is no reason to change yet - at least if the complaints don't give a good hint how they could earn even more money and still have happy players.

"It's too grindy" doesn't help Cryptic, for example, because "less grind" means that many people play less since there is nothing for them to work for. "More Story Missions" doesn't help them, because they know by now what story content costs them to make and how much it gets them. (Why do you think weekly, bi-weekly or monthly featured episodes didn't happen?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • cenellcenell Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As much as I really am loathe to point out, sadly, the objective was missed.

I will attempt to clarify.

I did not specifically say the game was "pay to win" I said, the system being applied is heading in that direction. Yes, I am well aware you can "farm and Mine" all the Dil you need for projects but again, the point here was missed.

Dil, and for that matter ECs, take time, in SOME capacity to acquire, so, for a casual gamer, this will limit what he or she brings in, unless you plan to sit ALL day at your com and have no life....

ahem, anyway,

on a second note, I never said I was "entitled" to anything, that is a fool's notion. I said and I quote "my personal gripe, and I dislike" never came to " give me free stuff. Read it again.

Last but not least the POINT of all this was, if I recall I did make mention, my comment about what has already been posted by so many others and the fact that Cryptic, that always states" they take the feedback from the player base" will take this seriously, plain and simple.

Some people do not like big changes, others love them, not everyone is going to be happy with one aspect or the other. it happens, I accept that.
    edited September 2014
    ok so let say the convertion is around 180 dili per zen

a ship is 2500 zen So :

2500*180= 450000 dilithium need for the ship

you have 3 toons so you do 8000*3 dili per day so 24000

now how much day for the ship :

450000/24000 = 18.75

and the end you need 19 days for have just one ship so we are far of you "a week of grind"

a upgrade is 500 to 1000 zen. and I was talking about upgrades being that easy and wow two whole week for a new ship thats... barely an after thought.

edited September 2014
    This may be a science fiction game, but we play it now, not in the future.

And it's not greed. It is just business.

The servers don't run itself. New missions don't make themselves (ask a Foundry author). New ships don't make themselves. new mechanics don't make themselves.

Cryptic needs money to continue making the game. They also need profits so that the shareholders of Perfect World are kept happy (which is who Perfect World is responsible to).

How would you know it's greed? How much money do you think gets reinvested into the game(s), and how much many is used to buy private Yachts or swim in gold coins?

If you think it's too expensive, you can complain, but ultimately, the only meaningful thing to do that really proves its too expensive is that you stop buying. Cryptic will only react when sales go down.

Complaints help them know why sales decline, but without a decline, there is no reason to change yet - at least if the complaints don't give a good hint how they could earn even more money and still have happy players.

"It's too grindy" doesn't help Cryptic, for example, because "less grind" means that many people play less since there is nothing for them to work for. "More Story Missions" doesn't help them, because they know by now what story content costs them to make and how much it gets them. (Why do you think weekly, bi-weekly or monthly featured episodes didn't happen?)

you are absolutely right on all your point, and that why i preferred when the game wasn't a f2p.

But what you say doesn't justify the way they start to take. because if you look all the history of the game since the f2p they just take back many things and add only payable (i'm not sue for this word) stuff so no nice story at all, no last free ship at the level 50, no more exploration ....

But a lot of new stuff for keep us busy and grind or pay. soon it will be only that in the game we will lose the trek of star trek for it become star grind.
    edited September 2014
    The game will never be fully pay-to-win, because they have the Dilithium Exchange. As long as that is in place, and no other currencies are introduced that can only be gained via real world money, they could put Tier 10 Triple Captain Bridge Officer ships in the C-Store, and it would not be Pay-To-Win, because people could always grind Dilithium for it.

That is the "beauty" of their system.

The negative side of that is has other repercussions. Tthere is still every desire to put stuff in the C-Store that people really, really want, because if there is nothing there, people won't sell their Dilithium for Zen, and likewise, there must be stuff you realy, really want for Dlithium, because otherwise there is n reason to buy Dilithium.
    So ultimately, power creep is still good for business for Cryptic, and it will never go away. :(
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited September 2014
    a upgrade is 500 to 1000 zen. and I was talking about upgrades being that easy and wow two whole week for a new ship thats... barely an after thought.

seriously? two weeks is QUITE an investment of time and resources. here I thought f2p was supposed to be CASUAL gamer friendly, seems the CASUAL gamers( you know, the ones with JOBS and Families) are in the minority, how odd.....
    edited September 2014

You know i will maybe surprise you but when you have a job, a wife, childrens, dog ..... is hardly possible to even make 8000 per day so 3 toons during 2 weeks stop dreaming.
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Don't get me wrong I know Cryptic need money to run the game but it NOT them it PWE that at fault if they didn't keep adding and taking out games and just keep a few of the games that people like they might see more money coming in. So we can stop it and point at the right team and the is PWE
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited September 2014
    you are absolutely right on all your point, and that why i preferred when the game wasn't a f2p.

But what you say doesn't justify the way they start to take. because if you look all the history of the game since the f2p they just take back many things and add only payable (i'm not sue for this word) stuff so no nice story at all, no last free ship at the level 50, no more exploration ....

But a lot of new stuff for keep us busy and grind or pay. soon it will be only that in the game we will lose the trek of star trek for it become star grind.

A subscription game still needs money, and if not enough people subscribe, mission content cannot be made. I strongy suspect that Startrek Online was in such a position before the F2P move.

And Exploration wasn't removed because only grind works for Cryptic. It was removed because it was ****. It would have been very easy to make Exploration grindier - just create an "Exploration Reputation" with a kick-TRIBBLE endgame set and require people to do Exploration missions over and over and over to earn marks. In fact, that was basically how Exploration used to work before F2P, when you still got Exploration Marks. No reputation system, but you needed marks to buy endgame gear, and to do it, you grinded exploration missions.
    edited September 2014
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I know Cryptic need money to run the game but it NOT them it PWE that at fault if they didn't keep adding and taking out games and just keep a few of the games that people like they might see more money coming in. So we can stop it and point at the right team and the is PWE

No that not true cryptic was starting to act like that even before pwe
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the problem is not "oh! cryptic/pwe want money". After all this is their job. the real problem is how they earn this money. I bought ships, keys, clothes etc. the R&D/upgrade systems are a bad way to earn money. I would be happy to buy original contents, new clothes, stuff to personalize the bridges of my ships, stuff to customize non cannon ships etc

they have chosen the ease not the pleasure for the players.

oh, btw, if they really need money; they should remove the dil exchange to zen, but at the same time the prices should be lowered. how many master keys are not from real money; 1/2?
    edited September 2014
    You know i will maybe surprise you but when you have a job, a wife, childrens, dog ..... is hardly possible to even make 8000 per day so 3 toons during 2 weeks stop dreaming.

If you don't have the time to play the game that much, would you really need to upgrade the gear of 3 characters?
    Not to forget that Delta Rising will come with new missions you will want to play, which will also occupy your time.

Of course, what an horrible idea. Wasting all that time on missions, still sitting on subpar gear, not earning any Dilithium...

Mustrum "Where is the damn forest, all I see are some large plants" Ridcully
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No that not true cryptic was starting to act like that even before pwe
    It got worst don't know wasn't here Pre-FTP but even then it was lot less money grab at the begin .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited September 2014
    cenell wrote: »
    seriously? two weeks is QUITE an investment of time and resources. here I thought f2p was supposed to be CASUAL gamer friendly, seems the CASUAL gamers( you know, the ones with JOBS and Families) are in the minority, how odd.....

if you did nothing but pay sto to for two weeks yes it is but a couple hours a day? nope.

hear let me try math.

8 hours for sleep
    8 for work
    hour for travel
    thats 17
    lets assume your an idiot and buy food every day hour for that
    so 18
    give an hour for TRIBBLE/sex time because I'm nice
    19 oh we're getting low on time.
    2 hour outside family/friend time
    hour dinner
    22, nice even number don't you think.
    two hours gaming.
    24. time management is op isn't?

now if you'll excuse me it's time for the first 8 hours.

edited September 2014
    If you don't have the time to play the game that much, would you really need to upgrade the gear of 3 characters?
    Not to forget that Delta Rising will come with new missions you will want to play, which will also occupy your time.

Of course, what an horrible idea. Wasting all that time on missions, still sitting on subpar gear, not earning any Dilithium...

Mustrum "Where is the damn forest, all I see are some large plants" Ridcully

No no i don't care about the upgrade and don't plan to do them.

The thing is i have a problem with the way they take for this game. i see less and less contents in the game, and more and more grind or buy stuff. that my point.

When it will be no mission, no nice stuff to do but grind rep and dilithium do you think they will ear more money ?

I know they need to earn money for continue the game, but it must be a balance between contents and grind or buy stuff.

And please stop escuse every of their action by the money excuse if they didn't already make benefice with the game they will not realise and new extension.
    edited September 2014
    if you did nothing but pay sto to for two weeks yes it is but a couple hours a day? nope.

hear let me try math.

8 hours for sleep
    8 for work
    hour for travel
    thats 17
    lets assume your an idiot and buy food every day hour for that
    so 18
    give an hour for TRIBBLE/sex time because I'm nice
    19 oh we're getting low on time.
    2 hour outside family/friend time
    hour dinner
    22, nice even number don't you think.
    two hours gaming.
    24. time management is op isn't?

A couple hours a day, is that right? well, how much can you actually get done in that 2 hour timeblock EXACTLY? maybe one char maxed dil(8000) maybe 2? I pretty much know Dyson ground can take anywhere between 25-50 mins to complete, of course that depends on a LOT of factors, run the dinos TWICE you might get 8000 dil, so you spend, lets see, 45 mins maybe 1h20 mins depending on players also doing them, you spend the rest of the time doing what? maybe ONE rep worth of marks???, this is quoting YOUR 2 hour timeframe mind you. now, try playing new content with subpar gear because you didn't have time to grind for the best, and tell me your going to be either enjoying it more or being more frustrated?

Game, Set, Match........
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A subscription game still needs money, and if not enough people subscribe, mission content cannot be made. I strongy suspect that Startrek Online was in such a position before the F2P move.

Atari refused to reinvest STO income back into the game and just sucked up all the sub money.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    In all honestly, nothing in STO requires spending actual money. Everything....mostly everything, can be got via earning currency in game and then turning it into Zen to buy stuff.

Well, its just paying off - you spend time/effort and exchange results for ZEN bought by another player. Actual money is still there, its just not you spending it.

To add insult to injury - gear upgrade system is straight copied form other PWE game. They just replaced "you succeed or your items gets deleted" with "try multiple times for low chance for rarity upgrade". The rest is basically the same - items ensureing a slightly better chance for success, additional tokens that protect item from destroying/making the process slightly cheaper...
    And I laughed heartily when my GF showed me the original system, calling it a Chinese chances farm. I laughed because then STO was better than that.

Oh well.

atomictiki wrote: »
    Atari refused to reinvest STO income back into the game and just sucked up all the sub money.

Not that it helped them in the long run... I was quite deeply invested in Test Drive Unlimited 2 community. One day Atari decided to just pack and leave. TDU2 forums went offline with a notice they are moving it to Atari forums, and that was it. Threads about it were deleted from actual Atari forums. Not surprisingly this happened very soon after release of third wonky DLC pack. Paid content that was commonly stolen by about half of the ingame population and full of bugs that were never adressed. Each consecutive patch was breaking more stuff than it was fixing... All that, with exception of pirated DLCs, sounds very familiar:P Atari legendary quality carried over to STO :D
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    T6 ships are for PvPers, hardcores, and those people who feel they MUST have the best and newest of everything. Other than that, the T5-U ships are all still going to be perfectly good. And for those of us (like me) who ONLY use Lockbox/Lobi ships, we get free upgrades, so goody for me.

As for upgrading general gear, I don't see that happening. The only gear I can see anyone dumping their resources to upgrade to XIV Gold would be the curiosity/novelty weapons, like the TR-116. But as for upgrading ALL of their guns, shields, armours, and whatever else, again, PvPers, hardcores, and those people who feel they MUST have the best and newest of everything.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.