What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official New Upgrade System Feedback Thread

Comments

• tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Add to this list the
    • And all consoles

Consoles can be upgraded. You have to be in space map.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Add the Veteran EVA Suits (Fed, KDF, Rom Combat Environment Suit) to the non-upgradable list. I hope thats a bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What sort of numbers are we looking at here?

How many kits and how much dilithium would be required to upgrade a Mk XII Very Rare beam array for example?

Random example:
    [Phaser Beam Array Mk X [CrtD]x2 [CrtH]]
    *about 16,150 dilithium to take a Very Rare mk X item to Very Rare mk XII
    *and if you crafted the upgrades yourself, add in 127,500 EC

You need 36,000TP to upgrade from XI to XII, 48000 to upgrade from XII to XIII, 96000 for XIII to XIV

Embassy XII Sci console:
    11,400 dilithium to upgrade to XIV (+ 90,000 EC if you craft the upgrades yourself)

Or, to go from XII to XIV and Epic gold rarity: 59,850 dilithium + 472,500 EC unless you get a lucky crit or use accelerators and stuff.
    https://i.imgur.com/MPPVA1y.jpg

All in all, upgrading ONE Protonic Polaron XII beam array to Epic Mk XIV, plus ONE Embassy console to Epic Mk XIV, and a second Embassy console just to UR Mk XIV, and the above mentioned VR Phaser Mk X to XII, and a random plasma beam array from X to XII ate up 480,000 dilithium on Tribble when I used the "Finish Now" button for all of my components, upgrade items, and project timers. I hope the impatient people have a lot of dilithium. :P Without using the finish now button it'll take longer but I would have saved about 380,000 dil.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It will keep its existing mods, like [Acc]x2 in your example, and then it will gain additional [mods] when its rarity increases.

Is it sad to say that I would pay not to have the randomness?
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    Rep gear should be upgraded through the rep system, not some convoluted concoction designed to get you to use the R&D system for the "best" upgrades.

In order to get the highest upgrade for your high mark items, you have to have high R&D skill in that area. That requires using and "mastering" the R&D system, which makes the whole upgrade system a fail.

Spin it anyway you like, proclaim anything you like, the Dev Blog speaks volumes and gives the truth in this situation.

R&D has nothing to do with the upgrade system except you can manufacture the upgrade modules that are an input into the upgrade system. I'm doing it right now on a person who is leveled up crafting and one who is not leveled at all.

The upgrade modules can be obtained as drops, cstore R&D packs, or via the exchange/trade from other players.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    Certain items cannot be upgraded currently, by design:

* TR-116A (preorder rifle)
    * All hangar pets
    * All kits and kit modules
    * Epic (Gold) quality starship consoles such as Saucer Separation, MVAM, or the Defiant's Cloaking Device -- note that this does NOT include starship weapons such as the Defiant's quad cannons

Will Kits and Kit Modules be upgradable at Delta Rising release, and you're just not turning kit and kit module upgrades on for tribble?

Or are you saying we will not be able to upgrade our kits and kit modules even after delta rising release?

Could we get a response on this pretty please, I'm really worried about this now. The ground combat is probably my favorite part about sto and not being able to upgrade your main ground powers? Oh god so worried.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Dominion Polaron weapons from 'Boldy They Rode' cannot currently be upgraded.

The Borticus (Kurland here!) gifted weapons cannot be upgraded? Inconceivable!
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ok I think the Dilitium price for these upgrades is going to get out of hand very fast. To Upgrade one item to XIII using Superior Upgrades cost 6450 dilithium per item, getting to XIV using Superior Upgrades cost 10,750 dilitium which comes out to 17,200 per item, here is the item I upgraded:

Shattering Harmonics Crystalline Sword Mk XII to XIII:

Superior Ground Gear Tech Upgrade x 6
    6450 Dilithium
    5% Chance to upgrade to Ultra Rare

Upgrade Result-

Shattering Harmonics Crystalline Sword Mk XIII (Mark upgrade only, no quality change)

Shattering Harmonics Crystalline Sword Mk XIII to XIV:

Superior Ground Gear Tech Upgrade x 10
    10,750 Dilithium

Upgrade Result-

Shattering Harmonics Crystalline Sword Mk XIV (Mark upgrade only, no quality change)

Shattering Harmonics Crystalline Sword Mk XIV (Attempt to Increase Quality):

Superior Ground Gear Tech Upgrade x 16
    17,200 Dilithium

Upgrade Result-

Shattering Harmonics Crystalline Sword Mk XIV (No change)

For XII to XIV Upgrades for one item it cost:
    16 Superior Tech Upgrades
    17,200 Dilithium

This will be very expensive for most people, especially for the quality upgrades, I doubt I'll be able to even afford trying to get my items up to Epic quality at these prices, can't even get the item to Ultra Rare... not to mention all the Tech Upgrades these things take.

Just to upgrade all the items on your ship from XII to XIV (weapons, engines, consoles, etc):
    352 Tech Upgrades
    378,400 Dilithium*

*Projected cost assuming you're upgrading 22 Space Items and not attempting to upgrade quality
    edited September 2014
    Well, Cryptic finally found a dil sink that works across the board. Kudos to Cryptic.
    edited September 2014
    Improved Tech Upgrade - Beam Array takes you to the wrong components if you try to manufacture the needed components from within its project details.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Requiring the upgrade system to use the R&D crafting system is fail on it's face. Sorry. I will not be upgrading anything and STO just became a whole lot less important to me.

But it doesn't, you can buy kits for EC at vendors and on the exchange.
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Fleet Tactical Vulnerability Locator Console - photon Detonation cannot be upgraded by projectile upgrade kit.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    birzark wrote: »
    Fleet Tactical Vulnerability Locator Console - photon Detonation cannot be upgraded by projectile upgrade kit.

tac consoles still fall under cannons or beams even if they have a photon mod
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Had trouble crafting improved upgrade kits. The start button is grayed out and I had to open the catalyst UI and hit clear before I could actually craft kits.

Also, will the xp gained from crafting kits be adjusted? They seem quite...generous. Making improved kits pretty much renders 20hr research projects obsolete.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Requiring the upgrade system to use the R&D crafting system is fail on it's face. Sorry. I will not be upgrading anything and STO just became a whole lot less important to me.

R&D System is not required to use the upgrade system, maybe you should try reading a Dev Blog before you go off the deep end.
  • yuzralyuzral Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    Ok, first impressions here:

Getting some weird results. Some I managed to get on video, some I'll need to go back and reproduce:

- TR-116B Mk.XII [CrtH] [Dmg] [ShPen]x4. Initially displayed progress to Mk.XIII as -64,454/48,024, but >100%. Selected a blue Expert Universal Research Tech Upgrade out of curiosity and the game adjusted to -59,454/48,024 (makes sense) but still displayed progress to upgrade to Mk.XIII as >100% (?!). Applying the upgrade kit immediately downgraded the rifle to Mk.X but sorted out the wonky TP value.

- Bue aft retrofit phaser array (from TOS Connie). Slotting into upgrade system changed it to Mk.X green.

- Rare situation this, but upgrading an old [Acc][CritH][Borg] Disruptor Array Mk.XI removed the [Borg] modifier. Nothing replaced it. Still classed as purple though.

Cost. Ohhh wow. The big driver to better upgrade kits is going to be Di cost with green kits costing about 4 times as much dilithium to run an upgrade as purple kits. Is upgrading to Mk.XIV meant to be a long term project or a case of 'well, if I grind the di cap today I can get one item to XIII/XIV?'
    Blatant self-promotion: Producer of the Delta Rising Tribble Timewarp, Foundry Frolics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral
  • raythilo2345raythilo2345 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    this upgrade system isnt for me its going to take a LONG time for me to upgrade anything

its too hard.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So, I don't have a max level crafter to find this out, but here's a question I am very curious about. If I get a Mark II phaser pistol, and upgrade it all the way to Mark XIV, doe the game visual model change as I go up the levels, or at Mark XIV does it still look like a Mark II pistol? In other words, can I finally have end game level gear that looks something like the old TNG stuff with no glowy bits?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I won't be going on tribble, so figure I'll ask this here to make sure it's covered

Are polarized tetryons that drop from 'the new link' upgradable?

And as I'm not sure about this:
    C-Store universal consoles from ships, are they upgradeable?
    I saw a reference to saucer sep not being able to, but that doesn't heal/damage/buff anything, what about the consoles that do? Eg Aceton assimilator, or theta radiation console etc.
    Same for lobi ship uni consoles?
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    The following items in my inventory are NOT showing the "Upgrade Item" option:

Phaser Quad Cannons [Dmg]x4
    Bajoran Phaser Rifle
    Adaptive Transphasic Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [Dmg]x3 [Borg]
    Plasma Flamethrower Mk XII [Dmg]x3
    Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines Mk XII
    Federation Combat EV Suit
    (the vet reward, not sure if this is even eligible?)

That's all I see, so far...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • katelrickatelric Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Gear that I can't upgrade:

Polarized Tetryon Beam Array Mk XI
    edited September 2014
    malkarris wrote: »
    So, I don't have a max level crafter to find this out, but here's a question I am very curious about. If I get a Mark II phaser pistol, and upgrade it all the way to Mark XIV, doe the game visual model change as I go up the levels, or at Mark XIV does it still look like a Mark II pistol? In other words, can I finally have end game level gear that looks something like the old TNG stuff with no glowy bits?

Good question! Let us test this!

We'll start with a Mk I Phaser Full Auto Rifle.

After 1 application of a [Improved Ground Gear Tech Upgrade] (5000 TP) it has enough overflow TP to upgrade it all the way to Mk VII and it picked up 1 Uncommon [modifier] along the way!

And the answer is... the model changes. It now has the Mk VII model with the glowy bits instead of the Mk I model. Sorry Charlie, this just ain't your day. :(

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • reverandclintreverandclint Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Things I was unable to upgrade:

Counter-Command Bio-Molecular Phaser rifle
    Counter-Command Exo-Armor
    Counter-Command Personal Shield

The upgrade drop box wasn't red (like it is w/ the deliberately non-upgradeable items) but the Counter-Command gear would not drop in.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Things I was unable to upgrade:

Counter-Command Bio-Molecular Phaser rifle
    Counter-Command Exo-Armor
    Counter-Command Personal Shield

The upgrade drop box wasn't red (like it is w/ the deliberately non-upgradeable items) but the Counter-Command gear would not drop in.

make sure you drag from inventory, doesnt work if you drag an item equipped
  • captainmd10captainmd10 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Please add to list if not already:

Tricobalt Cluster Torpedo from "Reunion"
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Important Bug report: Science Consoles are being upgraded by Engineering Upgrades, not Sciences ones. Engineering, Universal and Tacticals are working fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited September 2014
    Ok silly question where do we purchase the white common Tech upgrades from again?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    One more, can't upgrade...

Console - Universal - Assimilated Module

The Kinetic Cutting Beam and Plasma Torps in this set seem to be upgradable.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Has any one tried the Aux cannons from the Vesta. I have not seen a yes or no yet. Just curious.
    320x240.jpg
    edited September 2014
    Please address the following existing problems before making things worse with the upgrade system:

1) The [Stl] deflector mod has been attached to shields systems instead of stealth for 3 years now (See http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1220131)

2) UR RCS consoles and the UR sci part gens consoles from the R&D system are both sometimes being crafted with no mods (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1190031)

Other one that needs fixing, although it just limits variety:

3) Only 2 (Beams and Cannons) of the 7 R&D schools are giving out new mods on rare and VR items (See http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1215491)

Please fix at least 1 and 2.

1 will allow gold quality deflectors that will probably have the ultimate shields system bonus if they also have the [ShdS] modifier. This bug is very old and needs attention!

2 just leads to upgraded consoles that still lack the mod they should have