What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Particle Gens & You - Survey

Comments

• Options
    bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    But it sure TRIBBLE up the scoreboard score...which seem to be what people are basing their "PM DOES MORE DMG THAN EVERYTHING" observation off of.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    bwemo wrote: »
    But it sure TRIBBLE up the scoreboard score...which seem to be what people are basing their "PM DOES MORE DMG THAN EVERYTHING" observation off of.

Too many achronyms mind TRIBBLE. PM?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    PM = particle manipulator = lv 15 sci trait
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No doubt...

TBR is just Sci Faw. Accept one can be hard countered 100% of the time.

FBP is good as a deadly skill. If you die to it you deserved it. Pay attention. If you died twice whats your malfunction.

GW / TR.... the extra dmg is good for scis... but its unfocused aoe that can be easily countered. Its also still pretty lowish.

The Clicky consoles that are buffed by it... perhaps that could stand to be uncoupled.

The set pieces that are boosted by it... agian perhaps it could be uncoupled... then again Being forced into bad sets isn't always the best option. No fleet shield ect.

Someone like Mini sure he can build to do super crazy dmg with it.... but he could build to do super crazy dmg with proton or overload or HYs... so whats the difference. 100% crit ? Ya that is a bit silly... still as per the norm if you are going to really outfit a BOP or Warbird with 300+ Pgens and all the dmg boosting stuffz you can muster... guess what you still die as often as you kill anyway, at least vs people that have a modicum of skill.

Overall its just a build option...

Here is what I would like to see happen to PM though really....

Changed from +25% crit per 100 Pgen....

Make it +15 Per 100 Pgen as well as +5% Exotic DMG per 100.

That change would make it impossible to get 100% crit chance... It would mean FULLY dedicated PGen builds would be around 60% crit chance on exoitc... with 20% exotic dmg boosts. It would even out the skill... and it would remove the idea of crit "chance" being an oxymoron on sci dmg builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Feedback Pulse is broken enough that it reflects the Heavy Graviton Beam's kinetic damage.

Anything else should I add?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Feedback Pulse is broken enough that it reflects the Heavy Graviton Beam's kinetic damage.

Anything else should I add?

Its still a beam... so no issue there.

Nothing wrong with FBP honestly. You can still shoot through them with the proper resists.

Otherwise ignore them. FBP 1s even with PM are not going to kill you unless you really do super buff an attack... in which case pay attention man its your Kryptonite. The FBP 2s and 3s that are deadly to people that have only basic buffs up... its simple time there one commander level buff (which you should be doing for ALL players) and don't shoot at them when its about to come up. They obviously are not doing much if they have dedicated there high end skill slots to FBP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Its still a beam... so no issue there.

Nothing wrong with FBP honestly. You can still shoot through them with the proper resists.

Otherwise ignore them. FBP 1s even with PM are not going to kill you unless you really do super buff an attack... in which case pay attention man its your Kryptonite. The FBP 2s and 3s that are deadly to people that have only basic buffs up... its simple time there one commander level buff (which you should be doing for ALL players) and don't shoot at them when its about to come up. They obviously are not doing much if they have dedicated there high end skill slots to FBP.

what answer is that? "It's still a beam". Are you on drugs or what? The damage is Kinetic. PERIOD. In fact, we tested it on the Multi-Dimensional Graviton Shield and guess what, it got reflected! How do you explain that?

Minimax deals X Kinetic Damage to you with Heavy Graviton Beam.
    Minimax deals Y Electrical Damage to you with Isometric Charge.

Both were reflected by FBP. Both are not Energy damage; I call your bluff, FBP is broken. There's no argument you can pull out of this, evidence is clear.
  • Options
    ivantomdisplayivantomdisplay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I saw FBP reflects subnucleonic beam, and when u snb fbper u get snb'd. Well its a beam, WAI!
    [10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
    Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No doubt...

TBR is just Sci Faw. Accept one can be hard countered 100% of the time.

FBP is good as a deadly skill. If you die to it you deserved it. Pay attention. If you died twice whats your malfunction.

GW / TR.... the extra dmg is good for scis... but its unfocused aoe that can be easily countered. Its also still pretty lowish.

The Clicky consoles that are buffed by it... perhaps that could stand to be uncoupled.

The set pieces that are boosted by it... agian perhaps it could be uncoupled... then again Being forced into bad sets isn't always the best option. No fleet shield ect.

Someone like Mini sure he can build to do super crazy dmg with it.... but he could build to do super crazy dmg with proton or overload or HYs... so whats the difference. 100% crit ? Ya that is a bit silly... still as per the norm if you are going to really outfit a BOP or Warbird with 300+ Pgens and all the dmg boosting stuffz you can muster... guess what you still die as often as you kill anyway, at least vs people that have a modicum of skill.

Overall its just a build option...

Here is what I would like to see happen to PM though really....

Changed from +25% crit per 100 Pgen....

Make it +15 Per 100 Pgen as well as +5% Exotic DMG per 100.

That change would make it impossible to get 100% crit chance... It would mean FULLY dedicated PGen builds would be around 60% crit chance on exoitc... with 20% exotic dmg boosts. It would even out the skill... and it would remove the idea of crit "chance" being an oxymoron on sci dmg builds.

I would like this change. I'm not griping about the powers. They have solid counters. My issue is the 100% crit chance of PM. It doesn't leave much room before it can get out of hand. Already the upgraded science ships give a boost to exotic damage and we don't know what the specialized character trees will have in it but I'm sure there will be an exotic damage boost.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    what answer is that? "It's still a beam". Are you on drugs or what? The damage is Kinetic. PERIOD. In fact, we tested it on the Multi-Dimensional Graviton Shield and guess what, it got reflected! How do you explain that?

Both were reflected by FBP. Both are not Energy damage; I call your bluff, FBP is broken. There's no argument you can pull out of this, evidence is clear.

Its a game it doesn't have to make logical sense.

FBP reflects everything but torps. I really don't see any issue with that. You guys where testing... I don't believe even Minimax the ultimate suicide bomber would on purpose pop all his buffs and try to vape someone with fbp up... and if he is flying out of cloak, unless he is being silly and telegraphing it by buffing up at 2k out or something, no one is clicking there FBP before there dead.

I don't even use FBP and I can look at it with an objective eye. What is with you guys... a counter to your high dmg builds and cheese skills. OH no what will we do. :)

Let the noobs run FBP... really do you EVER see a premade running FBP ? Why would that be do you wonder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I saw FBP reflects subnucleonic beam, and when u snb fbper u get snb'd. Well its a beam, WAI!

Not a bad idea, hope Cryptic gets on that.

Really though it reflects kinetic cutting beam to... so it is only logical it would reflect the heavy grav beams kinetic as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014

One thing that we've learned heavily from particle manipulator is certain aspects of exotic damage were misunderstood at best. Iso charge doesn't always crit from PM. It HAS to hit hull to proc PM. If it hits a shield facing, it will do an underwhelming amount of non crit damage. If it hits hull, boom. This is one of the funkier interactions of skills vs PM.

Heavy grav beam is a beam that does Exoctic damage, which registers in log as kinetic, so we can say there is an "exotic kinetic" damage type. This is proved by other forms of kinetic damage not critting because of PM. HGB is a UNIQUE skill. It is both a focused energy attack (the beam that can be reflected) and exotic damage (the impact damage to hull).

These are design quirks or flaws, I'm not sure, but what the general accept understanding of what counts as exotic is wrong, and anyone with PM has an easy avenue to test these things. Here's another one that makes no sense, on the same regards. The Dyson torp creates a grav well that for all logical explanations should be the same kinetic/exotic damage that HGB produces. It doesn't gain crit% from PM though, meaning that pretty much every ability in this game is unique and designed without regards to other abilities that function in a similar mannor.

IE: Welcome to STO folks.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'll tell you FBP's weakness. To buff up those part gens, you sacrifice survivability. At least 6-7 console slots are occupied with part gens stuff. Get a drain and torp boat together. Strip those shields down with drain and fire those torpedoes straight into that bare hull.

The answer as to how to counter lies in how do they achieve it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I'll tell you FBP's weakness. To buff up those part gens, you sacrifice survivability. At least 6-7 console slots are occupied with part gens stuff. Get a drain and torp boat together. Strip those shields down with drain and fire those torpedoes straight into that bare hull.

The answer as to how to counter lies in how do they achieve it.

Don't talk about changing builds... that is what the anti PM folks want to avoid.

Never mind that all the stuffz they complain about have hard counters... or very good soft counters.

They all involve changing there builds up.

Also suggesting a dmg dealer would run a torp... hey now man this is the PvP section and these are Opvp people. Torps baahahaa I say waste of skill points. lol ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014

FBP reflects everything but torps. I really don't see any issue with that. You guys where testing... I don't believe even Minimax the ultimate suicide bomber would on purpose pop all his buffs and try to vape someone with fbp up... and if he is flying out of cloak, unless he is being silly and telegraphing it by buffing up at 2k out or something, no one is clicking there FBP before there dead.

I don't even use FBP and I can look at it with an objective eye. What is with you guys... a counter to your high dmg builds and cheese skills. OH no what will we do. :)

Let the noobs run FBP... really do you EVER see a premade running FBP ? Why would that be do you wonder.

Lets be honest, fbp SHOULD reflect energy damage. the graviton beam deals the same kind of damage of a torpedo, you keep talking TRIBBLE. Reasoning with a wall would be easier.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Don't talk about changing builds... that is what the anti PM folks want to avoid.

Never mind that all the stuffz they complain about have hard counters... or very good soft counters.

They all involve changing there builds up.

Also suggesting a dmg dealer would run a torp... hey now man this is the PvP section and these are Opvp people. Torps baahahaa I say waste of skill points. lol ;)

Heck, I'll go one step further, you see those boats use any type of clickies, and it goes up to 8-9 console slots used. Again, there is a weak spot.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Lets be honest, fbp SHOULD reflect energy damage. the graviton beam deals the same kind of damage of a torpedo, you keep talking TRIBBLE. Reasoning with a wall would be easier.

It does not deal the same type of damage as a torpedo. Otherwise, all torpedos would gain 100% crit from PM. There is obviously a "Kinetic/exotic" damage type, as I just stated a few posts ago.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    It does not deal the same type of damage as a torpedo. Otherwise, all torpedos would gain 100% crit from PM. There is obviously a "Kinetic/exotic" damage type, as I just stated a few posts ago.

Kinetic/exotic damage are one in the same in terms of resisting it, but they are labeled differently so buffs affect one or the other.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It isn't the same type of dmg as a torpedo... Cryptic just doesn't have an "Exotic" dmg listed as dmg in the game. However there is difference. As bwemo has explained. HGB is in fact 2 different energy types. The kinetic dmg that you are seeing is in fact EXOTIC dmg... which is why it is boosted by PM. Its not the same thing as a torpedo.

I understand your point.... I do. Your just wrong. Your basing your conclusions on faulty assumptions.

Read what bwemo posted he explains exactly what is happening with this weapon.

Should Cryptic clean up all there dmg types so they can make 100% sense to everyone at a glace. Sure but they won't be... with in there system HGB is a dmg type that can be reflected... just like the the cutting beam is. Multiple "dmg types" are reported as Kinetic dmg... but that does not make them torps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Kinetic/exotic damage are one in the same in terms of resisting it, but they are labeled differently so buffs affect one or the other.

This sounds like the laziest way out of coding crytpic could have taken so yeah gotta agree. Some things you can observe with PM and what does/doesnt crit are honestly a little unsettling when you look at the game from a coding standpoint. A lot of abilities seem like they may have been designed incorrectly from the get go.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    A lot of abilities seem like they may have been designed incorrectly from the get go.

Well, yes, and then you say devs can't do X and they go on the offensive.

Case in point, power siphons (don't know about shield siphons, but it would surprise me if it worked as I expected them to).

In a perfect world, you drain x and you get x BUT

In Cryptic's world, you drain Y where Y<X because of PI, but you still get X since they have to keep the buff and the debuff on separate worlds because it's just easier to code (or the system can't handle getting the target's PI, even if it's at start of debuff for simplicity's sake)

Why is Energy Siphon 1 junk?
    Ah to hell, easy solution, make the buff portion assume all targets have 6 points in PI skill. <- Dev's "wonderful" solution.

Other example that is more of a failure to update to keep up with power creep are shield drains, specifically tachyon beam and tetryon procs. It's easier for them to say "it's working as intended" instead of take into account all the shield heal and regeneration power creep and adjust it upwards accordingly.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah things like that are random oddities in cryptics design thinking. What I mean is there are some strange inconsistencies off what kinetic is exotic and what kinetic is "torpedo".

Iso is kinetic "torpedo" if it hits shields, but electrical exotic if it hits hull. This makes sense in reality.

Grav torpedo creates a rift that deals kinetic, but it in reality deals nonexotic kinetic, but its damage is buffed by prtg last I checked, so this could be a whoops or I'm overlooking something.

The one that stands out is EWP crits, but theta torps do not, and the only logical explanation I can give there is boff vs weapon origin, which could put logic behind grav torps.

Pretty sure at this point spaghetti code isn't far off of an accurate assumption.

edited: eating dinner and typing fast causes my brain to confuse theta torp and consoles ._.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014

I'm sorry what? Your graviton beam was reflected by a graviton shield and you see a problem with this?
  • Options
    realminirealmini Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    illcadia wrote: »
    I'm sorry what? Your graviton beam was reflected by a graviton shield and you see a problem with this?

nooo. the problemis itsreflected by both.which is it kinetic or energy. its ****ign kinetic. tbr, tractor, all kinetic dmg from "beams" doesnt reflect off fbp.. why this?

NO ******NED REASON OTHER THAN SHODDY PROGRAMMING
  • Options
    realminirealmini Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah things like that are random oddities in cryptics design thinking. What I mean is there are some strange inconsistencies off what kinetic is exotic and what kinetic is "torpedo".

Iso is kinetic "torpedo" if it hits shields, but electrical exotic if it hits hull. This makes sense in reality.

Grav torpedo creates a rift that deals kinetic, but it in reality deals nonexotic kinetic, but its damage is buffed by prtg last I checked, so this could be a whoops or I'm overlooking something.

The one that stands out is EWP crits, but theta torps do not, and the only logical explanation I can give there is boff vs weapon origin, which could put logic behind grav torps.

Pretty sure at this point spaghetti code isn't far off of an accurate assumption.

edited: eating dinner and typing fast causes my brain to confuse theta torp and consoles ._.

stop lying. iso isalwayselectric. never kinetic.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    FBP/TBR build now
    2x FBP + some heals = immortality
    TBR = big dmg directly into hull

To maintain such a balance , this build must be with something voidable. My suggestion is that such damage could be countered with f.e. aceton beam (and this could make aceton b. playable)
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2014
    The thing is a fully built PM boat is not going to out damage a high quality tacscort. The scoreboard will say the sci won but if you're using that for dmg conparisson, you're gonna have a bad time. Evem scis without pm specd heavily into prtg can **** escort dmg on the scoreboard. Open a parse file, look at real numbers. Good escorts still do more dmg. A lot more.

65% of the time tbr when spammed is doing non focused aoe dmg on pets or the wrong target. Unless you like inflating numbers like that. This level of damage is less than that of a full faw boat in pvp. How many of you would vocally complain about faw supression dmg?

its good that science ships can now be compared to escorts at damage.... :rolleyes:

from debuff role to dps with debuff role cuz making npcs to need debuffs is actually harder than just making science ships roleplay escorts.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    realmini wrote: »
    stop lying. iso isalwayselectric. never kinetic.

No

Or atleast when it hits shields, the PM aspect does not come into play, only the hull damage is modified.
  • Options
    iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Oh trust me, Mini died to FBP all the time. Sometimes, several times a day. Reaction time of Kerrat farmers have dramatically improved after being subject to continuous HOBO harassment / ganking. And Mini isn't exactly discreet about his approach, farmers are quick to press FBP and RSP - that is if PB BS didn't remove them. I think you grossly overestimated Mini's reaction time, he is not the quickest vaper out there. Maybe others use programs while he doesn't, I don't know but there are other vapers who are much harder to evade apparently because they use outside programs or something but Mini's vape takes time to set up. In fact, it takes so much for him to set up that I usually have the chance to nuke him before he launches an all out alpha on his target at which point, without APA, APO and/or TF, no EPTA, his dmg just went down the toilet and seconds later, he went boom.

Edit to add : I could also be confusing what I can see vs. what his target can see because there is a very good chance I could be seeing Mini closing on his target before he actually decloaks. Even just a few seconds of warning was enough for me to set up a rescue. I will pay more attention next time, as I don't always distinguish what I can see vs. what other Feds can see.
  • Options
    iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    One thing that we've learned heavily from particle manipulator is certain aspects of exotic damage were misunderstood at best. Iso charge doesn't always crit from PM. It HAS to hit hull to proc PM. If it hits a shield facing, it will do an underwhelming amount of non crit damage. If it hits hull, boom. This is one of the funkier interactions of skills vs PM.

Heavy grav beam is a beam that does Exoctic damage, which registers in log as kinetic, so we can say there is an "exotic kinetic" damage type. This is proved by other forms of kinetic damage not critting because of PM. HGB is a UNIQUE skill. It is both a focused energy attack (the beam that can be reflected) and exotic damage (the impact damage to hull).

These are design quirks or flaws, I'm not sure, but what the general accept understanding of what counts as exotic is wrong, and anyone with PM has an easy avenue to test these things. Here's another one that makes no sense, on the same regards. The Dyson torp creates a grav well that for all logical explanations should be the same kinetic/exotic damage that HGB produces. It doesn't gain crit% from PM though, meaning that pretty much every ability in this game is unique and designed without regards to other abilities that function in a similar mannor.

IE: Welcome to STO folks.

Very interesting perspective and observation, thanks for sharing

We are paying close attention to PM and the related development seeing that HOBO intends to implement on a fleet wide basis Mini's latest hax involving HGB. As it stands, our assessment so far is that HGB on its own is practically a total waste of time & resources regardless whether PM, in its current state, is broken or not, from a PvP standpoint. However, with the possibility of that being used along with ISO and other exotic particles abilities (e.g. Ion cannon), that can be more concerning.