test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Rising requires ARC ?

szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
Did anybody notice this small Box right bellow the Delta Rising - Operations pack short description here?
Requires the base game Star Trek Online on Arc in order to play.

It seems what many feared is now becoming reality. You will be forced to install Arc if you want to play STO after October 14th. :(
Post edited by szim on

Comments

• nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think it's more their way to telling new players how the content gets obtained today (although even that has work arounds).

I don't plan on installing ARC. Rebellion Rising.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nccmark wrote: »
    I think it's more their way to telling new players how the content gets obtained today (although even that has work arounds).

I don't plan on installing ARC. Rebellion Rising.

I really hope you're right. I've been testing ARC for some time and I really don't like it.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    szim wrote: »
    Did anybody notice this small Box right bellow the Delta Rising - Operations pack short description here?

It seems what many feared is now becoming reality. You will be forced to install Arc if you want to play STO after October 14th. :(

Yes, i noticed it and was also wondering about it.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It all depends on if they stop supporting the older installers so they can't catch up or change the way in which everyone logs into the game.

If they discontinue the current launcher, you'll have to login and update through Arc.

A fresh install through Steam isn't possible anymore, the 'install' button just forwards you to the Arc website. Right now, the only way to install the game without ARC is to find a legacy installer on some ad hosted file sharing site, and get to patching.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    It all depends on if they stop supporting the older installers so they can't catch up or change the way in which everyone logs into the game.

If they discontinue the current launcher, you'll have to login and update through Arc.

A fresh install through Steam isn't possible anymore, the 'install' button just forwards you to the Arc website. Right now, the only way to install the game without ARC is to find a legacy installer on some ad hosted file sharing site, and get to patching.

Umm yeah you can install it through steam right now.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As of my last reformat 2 months ago I could not. I was forwarded to the Arc website.
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There will be a serious **** storm if they do require it lol.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Arc can go to Gre'thor! No, I will not be nice about it. :mad:
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Meh, Steam tends to derp for Mr sometimes, so I end up running STO through ARC anyway...
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The same verbiage was used on seasons 9 and 9.5.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    szim wrote: »
    I really hope you're right. I've been testing ARC for some time and I really don't like it.

I can purchase the delta $125 pack through steam now so it stands to reason that you should be able to download delta through steam. I'm not touching arc with a ten foot pole and neither should any of you. Even if you don't believe it's malicious software and even if you believe steam is the same thing, you should oppose arc simply on the principle that gamers should oppose the creation of more proprietary distribution software. Why you ask? Because encouraging it will start an irreversible trend towards having to download proprietary distribution software for every game we play. Gamers should never buy into that nonsense and we should strive to keep gaming as open and fair as possible.

Edit: Don't even get me started on developers charging the full price for alpha stage games. Anybody remember when demo's used to be free? Anyways, I digress.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Steam Wallet is still the most convenient way to buy Zen.

Making buying Zen convenient makes impulse buys more convenient which gets them more money.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And if you are on a mac?

I still run on wine because the mac version doesn't work on my mac. It has some huge texture problems with their mac client.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I can purchase the delta $125 pack through steam now

*looks on Steam*

Strange, I don't see it. You in the US or UK?

No doubt this pack will show up on Steam and be buyable for Zen when DA launches. And not before.

Also, as mentioned - ARC is technically required right this very minute for STO, unless you have a previous Steam install or the old installer. So nothing has changed.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hmm i better not buy out to ive cheacked i can pkay with the old sto client as ive tryed arc twice n it kept say failure to connect to server or something like that Sto connects with its own in sec.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited September 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    *looks on Steam*

Strange, I don't see it. You in the US or UK?

No doubt this pack will show up on Steam and be buyable for Zen when DA launches. And not before.

Also, as mentioned - ARC is technically required right this very minute for STO, unless you have a previous Steam install or the old installer. So nothing has changed.

I'm in the states. The purchase link from the delta pack arc page actually took me directly to the steam delta pack page. I know, weird.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • frankfletcherfrankfletcher Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have the old stand-alone STO installation running. If the pack requires Arc, that may stop me from purchasing it. I've thrown so much money at this game that I'm embarrassed to mention how much, so honestly, requiring Arc helps me. I tried Arc and I did not like it. I can't remember why I disliked it because I had it installed for maybe a day way back when there was some promotion linked to installing it.

I'm being serious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In the states.

My steam does not list any DLC for STO atm except for Legacy Pack, Steamrunner Pack, and the smaller LoR pack that wasn't over a 100usd. No operations pack listed or even redirect.

Also if they removed sto from steam, which would be crazy since steam wallet is super convient to ease people into spending money on sto, doubt I'd keep playing sto. lol. I just don't like Arc.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Some PWE game titles are either no longer available or they never were listed on Steam(Jade Dynasty and Battle of the immortals for example) and can only be played via Arc.

You want to see Arc hate you should visit their forums. Anyway, something to keep in mind, I'm hopeful STO will always be available via Steam at least, I think it'd be a mistake otherwise not because of Arc but for potential growth.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    edited September 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Some PWE game titles are either no longer available or they never were listed on Steam(Jade Dynasty and Battle of the immortals for example) and can only be played via Arc.

You want to see Arc hate you should visit their forums. Anyway, something to keep in mind, I'm hopeful STO will always be available via Steam at least, I think it'd be a mistake otherwise not because of Arc but for potential growth.

They still got Forsaken World on steam, which pwe owned alot longer than they did sto. So doubt they'll just yank sto off steam.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ARC uses four processes on my system so roughly it needs 235KB this with the game running 100%. GameClient uses about 1.36GB then again I running this game in Max Graphics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They still got Forsaken World on steam, which pwe owned alot longer than they did sto. So doubt they'll just yank sto off steam.

Ah, good enough, I just looked for the two games I first came across and they weren't listed but your right.

I wouldn't think they'll pull STO but, you never know what PWE wants to do.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    edited September 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Ah, good enough, I just looked for the two games I first came across and they weren't listed but your right.

I wouldn't think they'll pull STO but, you never know what PWE wants to do.

PWE wants money. And steam with steam wallet for massively easy micro transaction makes them money and I can hazard a guess that its alot.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's just simple wording. Now if ARC becomes required with delta rising or not is anyone's best guess.

That said, ARC will become required sooner or later. This has been stated more times than I can count so only new players should be shocked. From the last time I was at the office in May, Steam should still be a possibility for certain games but one or the other will be required. If since May that has changed, I don't know. All I do know is that sooner or later, ARC will become mandatory.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I saw that too when browsing the pack detail page.

It's probably just some weird wording going on. They probably mean to say that new players need to use ARC to be able to play STO, but fumbled the wording a bit.

I mean, if ARC were to become mandatory with the release of DR, we would surely have known by now, ot atleast very soon.

Just releasing ARC on an unsuspecting playerbase would only end in tears, and the forums exploding from the resulting warp core breach...
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just pulled off a successful install with Steam last week, so to those asking if it is possible, it still is.

Just one heads-up to anyone who got a Windows 8.1 machine, specifically the HP Envy: you WILL have to make a few settings tweaks and do a driver download because STO will not run out of the box. First, you *will* have to update your nVidia GeForce driver, period, or you will not be able to log in. Second, if you like me have a no-mouse play style on your laptop, you will need to go into the Synaptics menu under your Control Panel and disable SmartSense (otherwise you cannot do trackpad and keyboard input simultaneously, which is obviously a huge problem), and at least while playing, EdgeSwipe (this makes sure Windows 8.1 menus like the Charms Bar cannot be activated using your trackpad and if you don't do this they WILL get in your way during starship maneuvers).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited September 2014
    In the states.

My steam does not list any DLC for STO atm except for Legacy Pack, Steamrunner Pack, and the smaller LoR pack that wasn't over a 100usd. No operations pack listed or even redirect.

Also if they removed sto from steam, which would be crazy since steam wallet is super convient to ease people into spending money on sto, doubt I'd keep playing sto. lol. I just don't like Arc.

I'll check into it again when I get back home and post a screenshot here.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would be shocked if they completely pulled the game from steam. while I'm sure they want everyone on their own platforms so they make more money without having to share a cut with valve, the volume of people who still use and prefer steam almost certainly makes them enough money to still be worth it to stay there.

No, I don't have hard data, and if somebody does, then I'd love to see it, but anecdotally, at least, this seems to be the story with a number of publishers and MMOs.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    I'm sticking with Steam. I don't see them pulling out of that as not only does it expose people to STO, it also has access to the Steam exclusive Steamrunner pack.

I'd say its still a viable partnership.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The solution is simple. Install Arc, Install STO, create shortcut from the ST launcher in the game folder, launch from it, bypass Arc. Simple.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard