What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Duty Officer Weekend Event [Now Ended]

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So it looks like Commander Rojal still isn't spawning in New Romulus Command, or has spawned beneath the floor mesh.. nice job Cryptic.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is going on my new "never forget" list to make sure the next time this event runs that everything is going according to plan.

Well, it looks like the "never forget" list... *sunglasses* got forgotten.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The RNG must hate me because out of 40 particles, about 36 collapsed.

FYI on the RNG to the devs, it has been behaving more erratically on newer stuff you release ike the Risan Egg drops for example.

I had this then completely logged out and had a reasonable run so this might be a good idea to try.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i predict this event will end the same way as before. they won't be able to fix him in time, and will shelve the fix until the next event, by which we'll find out he still wasn't fixed.

this will repeat several times until at least expansion 4 or 5.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'll pass. I'm still waiting for the DOff UI to be fixed before I consider bothering with anything related to DOff's or crafting.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/3041183-junior-officer-appreciation-weekend
    Receive a FREE* special Purple quality duty officer with a unique active roster power by speaking with your duty officer contact. For Starfleet officers and Romulan allies, this is an engineering Exocomp duty officer; for KDF officers and Romulan allies, it is a Reman duty officer. *This is not available if you already claimed it the last time we ran the event.

#1 You forgot to say in the dev blog where players need to go and what NPC they need to talk to to get these special doffs.

#2 I guess you changed your minds on that Liberated Borg Romulan doff that Romulan Republic captains were suppose to get last time. Because your dev blog clearly indicates they are suppose to get their allied faction's doff.

It's already been pointed out in this thread by another player that Captainsmirk said you guys were able to fix that but not in time for the event. Now it seems like you just discarded the whole idea.

My guess is you didn't want us "double-dipping" by getting both our allied doff and our own doff. I can understand that. It was probably too complicated or you couldn't do it in time to create a trade-in system. I would have gladly traded in the exocomp/reman to get a proper special doff for my Romulan Republic characters. (I'll double check all my toons and see if I need the doff on any)

But on the bright side we are at least able to get *a* special doff and I got them last time the event ran.

Due to the large percentage of particles collapsing last time giving me nothing to turn in thus making it take about 2 hours on 1 character just to get 75 particles (and it sounds as bad or worse this time around), and I have the special doff on all of my characters, I won't be participating in the event. I'll still be playing the game and the bonus CXP will be real handy for characters who need to rank up their commendations, or trade in for fleet marks I'll be able to finally contribute in 6 months because that part is always filled before I get a chance.

Caution: The dev blog says you won't be able to get another special doff (exocomp/reman) from this event if you got it before. This means that if you have ever lost your special exocomp or reman doff from this event, you will never be able to replace it. It's like the dominion doffs you get from that 1 story episode; 1 per character's lifetime. So make sure to never send these doffs on assignments that would cause you to lose them. I think Cryptic has managed to not allow such doffs on assignments where you will lose the doffs for good but they could have missed 1 here or there. So just pay attention when planning assignments.
  • Options
    rainbowhelrainbowhel Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Should this Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend be a joke?
    Just out of my experiences:
    Nine from ten patricle traces collapse. If I get one of those few that runs positive, I'm forced to choose between: If the "collect paritivles"-Menue opens, in three of four cases the particle is destroyed, so I'm really glad if I get the enemy hologram - because there I get at least one of those particle fragment.
    With the experience above, it seems to me that only every one of twenty particle offers a fragment, so let's do some math: It seems to be a 5%-chance to get a particle and I need 75 of them for a very rare Doff - so I need to scan 1500 particles to get a very rare Doff? Cryptic, are you kidding me?
  • Options
    rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rainbowhel wrote: »
    Nine from ten patricle traces collapse. If I get one of those few that runs positive, I'm forced to choose between: If the "collect paritivles"-Menue opens, in three of four cases the particle is destroyed, so I'm really glad if I get the enemy hologram - because there I get at least one of those particle fragment.
    With the experience above, it seems to me that only every one of twenty particle offers a fragment, so let's do some math: I need to scan 1500 particles to get a very rare Doff? Cryptic, are you kidding me?

Its 75 particles traces for a Very Rare (Purple) DOFF. Also if you read the hints it told you how on of them goes. I forgot what one it tells but its its Dissipating then you use a Positron Scan. If its Expanding then you use a Multiphasic Scan. A quick way i remember is Pos-Dis (Positron on Dissipating) and then the other 2 go together.

Though to many collapse before you get to Scanning or Hologram Fight. To me it seem to be around 75% collapse on their own which it to many as the mission has a 20 Hour cooldown and you can only run it during this event.
  • Options
    rainbowhelrainbowhel Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rmxiii wrote: »
    Its 75 particles traces for a Very Rare (Purple) DOFF. Also if you read the hints it told you how on of them goes. I forgot what one it tells but its its Dissipating then you use a Positron Scan. If its Expanding then you use a Multiphasic Scan. A quick way i remember is Pos-Dis (Positron on Dissipating) and then the other 2 go together.

I read all the hints but still it stays with the experiences I told above. So there is a lot more amusement for me I prefer in comparision to this event - even the random fly around trough the sectors gives more reward than this event. Why should I do this one?
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rainbowhel wrote: »
    With the experience above, it seems to me that only every one of twenty particle offers a fragment, so let's do some math: It seems to be a 5%-chance to get a particle and I need 75 of them for a very rare Doff - so I need to scan 1500 particles to get a very rare Doff? Cryptic, are you kidding me?

Honestly, the amount of time it takes to get the 75 or whatever ridiculous amount of particle traces is not worth the price of a Very Rare doff, there are a dozen different ways of getting a Very Rare doff that will take less time and less grind :cool:
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    EDIT: Smirk apologized but made no promise.
    This is growing tiresome.
    While it wasn't a promise, it looked as though Cryptic might do something on Captain Picard Day two months back. A certain community manager alluded to it in a post on that topic.

But nothing materialized.

Cryptic: please do some basic project management: flag items which you need to address (or re-address) during announcements. Factor it into your announcement calendar. Follow up on them.

And if you're clarifying something again that may have been missed the first time around, then do so!

It's a good customer service and positive community outreach which should be done.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Eheee... gathered 75 particles to get a purple doff... the mission auto-turned itself and gave me no doff - and no, my doff roster's not full. GG WP. More like GG no RE. :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    That's great, except that my DOFFs are mostly (19 of 20) stuck doing nothing, and have been for the last 6 days. So some of us are locked out of the event. Thanks?

This here is the terrible part of this. You broke doffing just prior to this event so that people get assignments locked, severely curtailing, or even potentially outright stopping them from being able to get the bonus CXP at all.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Still 75 particles for a very rare doff... i thought that after the previous event cryptic will make more sense and lower the required particles. It looks like they didnt even bother to do that. So, another dumb event that will pass without further activity on it. Im not going to spent 45 minutes collecting particles for just 1 very rare duty officer when i can gather a couple of em just doing some assignments. Its really non sense. I dont know why i was hoping this time a reward for an event will be worthy. Lets see you guys in the next !.. :P
  • Options
    mortuus2408mortuus2408 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is this event bugged?

I finished 15 Assignments and i got 0 Bonus Commendation XP :mad: on every Assignment
    Simplication Award Winner
    Admirals Log Stardate....aaaahm....whats today's Stardate?
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh dear.

Doff missions running extremely slowly, if they complete at all.

Many toons doff rosters locked up with uncompleting missions, including R+D slots.

'Never forget list'?

Someone at Cryptic said, nows the time for a junior officer weekend?

Oh dear.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The 75 traces per DOff is not so bad when considering the spiraling cost of such DOffs on the exchange since S9.5. A VR science DOff is now 2-3mio EC (more if it also has Resolve trait), so 30 minutes of grind is not so bad. What is irritating is that the particle label display bug is still there after 4 months (duplicate particle descriptions dither on the screen almost too fast to read).

I also had a 0 XP showing on a set of missions, but I believe that it was a server link issue: I sometimes log off my characters without closing STO, so login is faster when I return from some AFK activity. I did the same this morning, and after the missions had all finished posting to the screen, I collected the results, followed immediately by a server kick, where I had to login again. After login, the same missions I just collected were displayed again, as reports, but gave no other results. Just before the kick, I had also started 3 R&D missions, which showed completed after login, but the new missions were already running, so there was no place to close the "old" ones.

This is the kind of problem that I dread will be more common & more severe in S10, considering Cryptic's utter refusal to test their own work... :mad:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Romulan DOff wasn't fixed?

Well TRIBBLE this event then.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm slowly getting into it. I got a research lab scientist last night who fired my enthusiasm as it was what I was going for to replace my greens - looks like theyre 7 million now. Got explosives officer today - not so good. But I guess I'll do 4 or 5 for my youngest captain. Try to get a couple good engineers.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not usually one to say something like this, but this event has been handled very poorly.

"Duty Officers don't work? Well, now, not only are you missing out on normal rewards, but we're going to add BONUS REWARDS that you can't access. You're WELCOME.

And, as an added, EXTRA SPECIAL, bonus: we still did nothing about that Romulan snafu from last time. Who loves ya, baby?"

Really, it just seems unprofessional to me, sorry.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Since 9.5, it is extremely difficult to schedule duty officer missions. If I try real hard, I can schedule 10 before I give up, but I usually only get 3 or 5.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Your Special DOffs from the Junior Officer Appreciation event...

Feds get the Exocomp
    KDF get the Reman

Both of whom you can obtain from the event contact at their Faction's respective Academies.

As far as the Romulan DOff, as many of you have seen from the update to the event, Rojal no longer exists on the map, and will not be returning.

The last time we ran this event, there was a bit of old data that crept its way into this event that had an unfortunate consequence for some of our Romulan players.

During the event, an old Romulan-only version of the Reinforcements mission was available on New Romulus Command asking players to talk to a contact that no longer exists. As a result, the mission was not able to be completed and many players were confused as to what they needed to do in order to get their special Duty Officer.

Had the NPC been able to give Romulan players the correct mission on New Romulus Command, they would have been directed to either Starfleet or Klingon Academy, based upon their factional allegiance, to talk to the same contacts used by Federation and Klingon players to receive their special Duty Officer: an Exocomp for Federation-aligned Romulans, and a Reman for Klingon-aligned Romulans.

We apologize for any inconvenience experience by players during this event. We have taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again during this Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend Event, and when it is run again in the future.

While this will remain forever on my never forget list, it will be because I couldn't bring you the Romulan Liberated Borg DOff everyone was expecting.

While I have been able to help out with other issues and requests over the last several months, this time I won't be able to bring you this reward.

I'm very sorry I can't create this DOff for you all. but I sincerely hope you enjoy this weekend event, and that you are able to complete the event mission to get your hands on many high quality DOffs during the current running.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh well, at least the weekend isn't a total wash. Lots of CXP to be had by all.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Are you serious? Ridiculousness. Honestly, can't even get a unique doff for Romulan Republic.

Or maybe we'll need to wait 2 years like we did for the 700 Day Android boffs.

Christ on a cracker, you guys created a custom doff for R&D Crafters, one more was so hard to come by? Ah well.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The optimal solution would be to have a unique duty officer for each faction. If Romulans got a unique romulan duty officer and their ally's unique duty officer, then Feds and KDFs would have got screwed over since they only get one duty officer while Romulans got two for the event. So if Romulans got a unique duty officer, then they would have to lose their ally's unique duty officer as a result.
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well not shocked the Romulan Fraction aren't getting their unique doff, why would a Romulan want Romulan doffs anyways I guess :confused:

At least the KDF Rommies will get a Reman but the Fed Rommies are stuck with the Exocomp

I'm very sorry I can't create this DOff for you all. but I sincerely hope you enjoy this weekend event, and that you are able to complete the event mission to get your hands on many high quality DOffs during the current running.

Hard to enjoy the weekend when assignments keep sticking and take forever to turn in, UI still buggy, and it's hard to get free doffs from the event when 90% of the particles collapse before you can even run scans on them or they disappear before turning in... seriously, might as well rename the event Duty Officer UNappreciation Weekend (Alpha Edition) :rolleyes:

But it's ok... we forgive you *writes this down on my never forget list*
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    KDF side there are a few bugs. I am KDF Tac LTG so I had selected Tac Bekk and I got Sci Bekk. If I had chosen Sci Bekk I get Sci Bekk and same goes for ENG Bekk. Also once I had reached 75 it still read I would get RARE not a VERY RARE. So I had kept on going to 100 points (99 + 1) That too read RARE. Once I had turn in the 100 points it read VERY RARE but only when I had turned it in.

KDF side was really tough, I had use a combination of weapons to take the enemy down! But although the local NPC KDF had stepped in to help take out the enemy but not always. Where as under the FED and ROM were really easier to take the KDF enemy.

Anyway I am done.. It was fun when it lasted.. Back to 8742 for me.. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Your Special DOffs from the Junior Officer Appreciation event...

Feds get the Exocomp
    KDF get the Reman

Both of whom you can obtain from the event contact at their Faction's respective Academies.

As far as the Romulan DOff, as many of you have seen from the update to the event, Rojal no longer exists on the map, and will not be returning.

The last time we ran this event, there was a bit of old data that crept its way into this event that had an unfortunate consequence for some of our Romulan players.

During the event, an old Romulan-only version of the Reinforcements mission was available on New Romulus Command asking players to talk to a contact that no longer exists. As a result, the mission was not able to be completed and many players were confused as to what they needed to do in order to get their special Duty Officer.

Had the NPC been able to give Romulan players the correct mission on New Romulus Command, they would have been directed to either Starfleet or Klingon Academy, based upon their factional allegiance, to talk to the same contacts used by Federation and Klingon players to receive their special Duty Officer: an Exocomp for Federation-aligned Romulans, and a Reman for Klingon-aligned Romulans.

We apologize for any inconvenience experience by players during this event. We have taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again during this Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend Event, and when it is run again in the future.

While this will remain forever on my never forget list, it will be because I couldn't bring you the Romulan Liberated Borg DOff everyone was expecting.

While I have been able to help out with other issues and requests over the last several months, this time I won't be able to bring you this reward.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

It may not be what we were hoping to hear, but at least you gave us an explanation. Thank you very much.

On the bright side at least romulans and remans can get their allied faction's special doff. It's better than nothing. In fact I got the exocomp on my reman during the last event and loved it so much I bought 2 exocomp companion pets from the c-store for a couple of my fed engineers. I may buy 1 for each of my other characters eventually. (I did have the exocomp doff from the Junior Officer weekend event the time before last on all my other fed chars, but for some reason getting it on my reman made it more special to me) <3
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A second one of my KDF toons has suffered the doff mission lock.

Now, one of them has only 8 working mission slots, the latest one just a single slot.

Don't suppose that issue is going to get any response before the weekend eh?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    CaptainSmirk, I have an idea.

How about make the liberated borg romulan doff available to all players of all factions at the next Junior Officer Appreciation Event and make it available at all events afterwards like the exocomp and reman special doffs? Give the lib borg romulan doff a standard active roster ability and remove/change some of the traits if needed and make it a once-per-character lifetime claim like the exocomp and reman. Players would be able to get both the exocomp/reman and the lib borg romulan if they haven't obtained any before. :)

Edit: Considering that both the exocomp and reman doffs are maintenance engineers, make the lib borg rommy a technician or security officer. You could also get away with it having no active roster ability at all. It might mean you would have to redo it from scratch but it shouldn't anywhere as hard as redesigning the ESD interior. (ESD INTERIOR IS AWESOME TACOFANGS!!!)
This discussion has been closed.