test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial LC #2 discussion thread

worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial LC #2: Time after Time.

Entries thread here.
List of official LCs here.
Unofficial LC #1 here.

Remember, no trolling please. Also, in case it's unclear, this is in no way an official challenge. Just something for us nerds to do to maybe give Smirk a breather.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Interesting topics. :)

Will need to see what I can come up with, though #1 and #2 don't strike me as ones I'd like to try. #3 has a bit of potential, but again, I'll need to see what I can come up with.
    76561198160276582.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nice topics :cool:

I've got nothing for any of them :P
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Time, huh...

Now, if only there was someone here who was an expert on time...
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited August 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Time, huh...

Now, if only there was someone here who was an expert on time...
    I like nice watches... :o
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    NVM; wrong thread.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited August 2014
    Well, I can't do anything for Eleya with prompt #2, because her mirror counterpart is already planned to actually appear in The Wrong Reflection and they're different in too many ways to make it work, and I haven't even begun to think about what Mirror Brokosh or Mirror Morgan might look like. But #3 seems interesting considering Eleya's command crew has two Andorians on it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nice topics :cool:

I've got nothing for any of them :P

Raban and Ael get stuck in a time loop in the style of Window of Opportunity.

There. :P
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I might have had an idea for my "Time After Time" prompt when I originally suggested it but I've lost it now.

Got a good idea for #3, though.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    This is the discussion thread for Unofficial LC #2: Time after Time.

Entries thread here.
    List of official LCs here.
    Unofficial LC #1 here.

Remember, no trolling please. Also, in case it's unclear, this is in no way an official challenge. Just something for us nerds to do to maybe give Smirk a breather.

I'm going to assume some humor doesn't qualify as trolling by submitting the following for Unofficial LC #2: Time after Time:

Lyin' in my bed I hear the clock tick
    And think of you
    Caught up in circles confusion
    Is nothing new

Flashback warm nights
    Almost left behind
    Suitcase of memories
    Time after

Sometimes you picture me
    I'm walking too far ahead
    You're calling to me I can't hear
    What you've said

Then you say go slow
    I fall behind
    The second hand unwinds

If you're lost you can look and you will find me
    Time after time
    If you fall I will catch you I'll be waiting
    Time after time

Time after time
    Time after time

After my picture fades and darkness
    Has turned to gray
    Watching through windows
    You're wondering if I'm okay
    Secrets stolen from deep inside
    The drum beats out of time

Time after time
    Time after time

You said go slow
    I fall behind
    The second hand unwinds

Time after time
    Time after time

Time after time
    Time after time

Time after time
    Time after time
    Time after time

Clearly not my work... anyway, I'll clear the post if you aren't happy with it worffan, but I happen to like the song :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Eh. Mirror Universe is overused. Time Loop could be interesting. Out in the cold sounds interesting though. If I find time, I'll get something out for that.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited August 2014
    Raban and Ael get stuck in a time loop in the style of Window of Opportunity.

There. :P

That was the episode I immediately imagined, then thought "I'm not writing that s**t..."
    :P
    edited August 2014
    That was the episode I immediately imagined, then thought "I'm not writing that s**t..."
    :P

Try that one where Data and Riker both have a solution to the ship that's flying at the Enterprise and Riker's works and Data realizes it just in the nick of time?
    edited August 2014
    Try that one where Data and Riker both have a solution to the ship that's flying at the Enterprise and Riker's works and Data realizes it just in the nick of time?

I'm just going to take a pass. The official LC options aren't inspiring anything either, so I'm going to just give everything a miss, as I don't want to write anything just for the sake of writing something :cool:
    edited August 2014
    I'm just going to take a pass. The official LC options aren't inspiring anything either, so I'm going to write give everything a miss, as I don't want to write anything just for the sake of writing something :cool:

I see.

Well, you can always take a prompt off of the player-suggested topics thread and run with it.

Or we can have D'trel and Ael meet, maybe fight an Iconian or some such. I think that Omek and Raban would be Besties for life in about 3 minutes. :cool::D
    edited August 2014
    I see.

Well, you can always take a prompt off of the player-suggested topics thread and run with it.

Or we can have D'trel and Ael meet, maybe fight an Iconian or some such. I think that Omek and Raban would be Besties for life in about 3 minutes. :cool::D

I'm just not going to write anything...
    edited August 2014
    I'm just not going to write anything...

Pity. I really like your stuff.
    edited August 2014
    Just posted a story for prompt 3. Thoughts, anyone?
    edited August 2014
    Just posted a story for prompt 3. Thoughts, anyone?

Seemed a fairly standard plot, not that this prompt offers a whole hell of a lot in the way of wiggle room, but well-executed. I may have enjoyed it more if I'd read more of your stuff that has Ha'ni in it so I understood more of what they were talking about. Also, caught the use of Eleya's favorite swear word in there. :D

Also, in case you didn't notice, I posted a new chapter of The Wrong Reflection.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Have any Ha'ni ever matriculated from Transylvania Polygnostic University? She'd fit right in in Girl Genius. (In fact, she might be the young lady in the most recent strip - who summoned the Ht'Rok'Din, the fabled ancestor of the Heterodyne family, because "I'm more of a visual learner, and I've been doing poorly in History...")
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Seemed a fairly standard plot, not that this prompt offers a whole hell of a lot in the way of wiggle room, but well-executed. I may have enjoyed it more if I'd read more of your stuff that has Ha'ni in it so I understood more of what they were talking about. Also, caught the use of Eleya's favorite swear word in there. :D

Also, in case you didn't notice, I posted a new chapter of The Wrong Reflection.

I'll review the new chapter in the morning; need to head to bed. It looks awesome, though.

Thanks! Yeah, it wasn't a really flexible prompt. Short version of the Ha'ni dialogue: Ta'kat used her combadge to help boost the distress signal, so she was forced to speak Standard as best she could. The concussion was causing her to have trouble maintaining Standard, which caused her to get frustrated.

Zin-kzan'iae are dedicated guards and assistants who keep an eye on members of Ta'kat's caste at all times. It's a security thing; all zin have really, really bad ADHD (based on my own experiences with the disorder), and extremely high intelligence. They also have a fascination with dangerous substances and objects. Basically, Ta'kat's asking for Mori to guard her and make sure she doesn't do something stupid while hyperfocusing.

Thought you'd like the Bajoran curse. :)
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Have any Ha'ni ever matriculated from Transylvania Polygnostic University? She'd fit right in in Girl Genius. (In fact, she might be the young lady in the most recent strip - who summoned the Ht'Rok'Din, the fabled ancestor of the Heterodyne family, because "I'm more of a visual learner, and I've been doing poorly in History...")

The Sparks from Girl Genius were the primary inspiration for the zin. I basically had the crazy idea to make a full 10% or so of the Ha'ni population mad scientists and built a substantial portion of the culture around that.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like Ta'kat. I like Connor more. :D
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited August 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    I like Ta'kat. I like Connor more. :D

Rachel's a pretty interesting character. She's sort of like what Three would be like if Three hadn't been engineered as a psychopath; intelligent, moral, loyal, and seriously, seriously pissed off about being turned into a weapon without her consent.

Glad you liked it! :)
    edited August 2014
    Hey, worffan, did you know that your private messaging inbox is full?

I'm plotting out an entry for prompt #3, but I also wanted to point you to Mirror Kanril finally appearing in The Wrong Reflection.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited August 2014
    Hey, worffan, did you know that your private messaging inbox is full?

I'm plotting out an entry for prompt #3, but I also wanted to point you to Mirror Kanril finally appearing in The Wrong Reflection.

Uh, yeah, I should do something about that.

Yeah, Mirror!Kanril is cool, but I was waiting for a full review until I can get the story to DEA (who hasn't been on the last couple of times I was on the livechat).
    edited August 2014
    I wrote a thing at midnight last night after open mic night and D&D with my buddies.

It's...unusual.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or better yet your own entries?
    edited August 2014
    I wrote a thing at midnight last night after open mic night and D&D with my buddies.

It's...unusual.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or better yet your own entries?

Not bad for a shameless reskin of "Cause and Effect". I liked the call-back to the piece you wrote for "Movie Night", and D'Trel continues to heal.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited August 2014
    Not bad for a shameless reskin of "Cause and Effect". I liked the call-back to the piece you wrote for "Movie Night", and D'Trel continues to heal.

Yeah, I pretty openly ripped off "Cause and Effect" with a touch of SG-1: "Window of Opportunity" for D'trel having carry-over memories.

It was more about the character than being original. :D

Can't wait to see your next story!
    edited September 2014
    starswordc, you want to whip up some prompts for another one of these next week, or should I? I figure with the dev blog rush Smirk might forget the LCs again, so we might as well be proactive.
    edited September 2014
    starswordc, you want to whip up some prompts for another one of these next week, or should I? I figure with the dev blog rush Smirk might forget the LCs again, so we might as well be proactive.

Let's see if anybody else wants to try, first. (Hint, hint.)
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png