test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic...do you actually play this game?

mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
I'm sure you guys have your own private servers that you use for gametesting and work hard at what you do. However, I think you are missing the big picture. This is a SOCIAL game.

When I log on and arrive at Earth Space Dock and am bombarded by hours of racist comments and discussions of **** and the most vile comments that you can think of...does that sound like a game you want to play?

How much money are you guys losing because people just don't want to be subjected to that?

Yes I am familiar with the ignore button and I am also familiar with the complete inability around here to ban people that only want to disrupt and annoy the community.

I wan't to play an MMO not a single player game.

[rant over]
Post edited by mirrorterran on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Devs have no control over ESD's insanity. Only CSRs do, a task which they seldom seem to complete.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    IF people don't get reported, they won't be banned. Ever. There is no one that constantly monitors all chat channels in the game to find such people.

If Cryptic employees play the game (and I think some certainly do), they will probably not spend much time sitting around to read zone chat. And if they come in their role as dev or employee, and not with private accounts, the zone chat will totally change and focus on them.
    I believe tacofangs had a nice word for what will happen then, but I forgot his expression. Something like "dev santa"...

I play this game regularly (currently daily), and I pretty much miss all this kind of stuff, simply because I am busy doing other things than listening to inane chat comments.

Sometimes I do, and I have to shake my head about some of the crazy people. Sometimes I find funny people with a good sense of humour, or interesting people with interesting comments or opinions.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've said this before, I'll say it again - Cryptic/PWE need to get off their cheap posteriors and hire a GM or two for STO in order to handle these "players" that are turning the game's social zones into a cesspool.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I've said this before, I'll say it again - Cryptic/PWE need to get off their cheap posteriors and hire a GM or two for STO in order to handle these "players" that are turning the game's social zones into a cesspool.

Or hire enforcers like they did in SWG. They would have to have an extensive background check though. It would help stop a lot of the nonsense. At least give chat silencing for a certain amount of time.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited August 2014

They would need at least 3-4 full time employees that constantly monitor all chat channels 24/7. If one person can actually keep track of individual posters in all the chat channels. If not, you may need to multiply this number by however people you actually need.

Seems better they hire 1 extra developer for bugfixes, or another writer for story stuff, or another artist for more ships or uniforms.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They're always having political debates in the Zone chat, one time I remember some people said TRIBBLE people should all be killed.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I turned Zone chat off about a year ago. It was bad back then but appears to have hit new lows.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We can talk about what we like as much as we want, but heres what Taco says
    Some Devs do play on personal accounts, however the majority of devs do not play STO all that often, as they cannot enjoy playing the game, and instead start seeing every tiny thing that is wrong
    my opinion: while them noticing some of these things is nice, i completely understand why they wouldnt play the game too often, it just isnt fun for them to see bugs they either cant fix, or have too low priority to fix.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Internet gaming is full of trolls, idiots, racists, communists, all of the above. Doesnt matter if its STO or some web-based card games, they are everywhere. You will never get rid of all the rejects who share the Internet with you. You have to choose, if you are going to find a way to deal with them so that you can have your fun. Or are you going to keep giving them power over your emotions. Find a way to filter them out, to ignore, either mechanically or intellectually, or give up on it and find your entertainment with small closed groups who you hope will not roflstomp your feelings.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Internet gaming is full of trolls, idiots, racists, communists, all of the above. Doesnt matter if its STO or some web-based card games, they are everywhere. You will never get rid of all the rejects who share the Internet with you. You have to choose, if you are going to find a way to deal with them so that you can have your fun. Or are you going to keep giving them power over your emotions. Find a way to filter them out, to ignore, either mechanically or intellectually, or give up on it and find your entertainment with small closed groups who you hope will not roflstomp your feelings.

humans cant live in bubbles for long, eventually you pop it yourself or someone else does it for you and in either case you cant avoid it on the internet. only thing you can do is survive it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They would need at least 3-4 full time employees that constantly monitor all chat channels 24/7. If one person can actually keep track of individual posters in all the chat channels. If not, you may need to multiply this number by however people you actually need.

Even one or two would do miracles to neuter the sheer hatred, stupidity and TOS viloations that occur almost non-stop in most of the social & multiplayer zones, most prominently ESD, and have picked up pace with the speed of light since there are no GMs in STO.
    Seems better they hire 1 extra developer for bugfixes, or another writer for story stuff, or another artist for more ships or uniforms.

That's not how things work. I'm sure a factory/store would prefer having another worker, but they have to have security/guard otherwise they could be robbed blind.
    You have to cater to the entire game as a whole experience, not walk the path of least resistance and just let social zones turn into this what we see here in STO these days.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They've already answered this question.

sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174051

Assuming that the thread title's a rhetorical question, it's ridiculous to assume something like this. Also, "want" doesn't have an apostrophe.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I turn chat off entirely. Rarely do I get spoken to in game anyways, people in my fleet are on only between large time frames due to the way everything is delayed like the way they handled progression in the title. So they login get dilithium use the auction house do a couple pve events add to the fleet, advance their crafting and logout.

That's what the game has become, one big minigame. Slidebars online.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I turned Zone chat off about a year ago. It was bad back then but appears to have it new lows.

THIS.
    First, they can't say anything overtly rude because the game has a built in chat filter for a *great many* words including quite a few words that are not even all that offensive to (even some NUMBERS are filtered because they might possibly be slightly offensive in leetspeak -- its a pretty hefty filter!). I assume that someone, like the original poster, would not turn the filter off due to being easily offended.

Second, as stated, the player can filter it by turning off the offending channel(s). It is one click if you set up 2 tabs, one with and one without zone channel, to filter away the offending content.

Third, players being stupid do not ruin games. A few moms may take the game away from their youngling if they see such discussions, but generally speaking, the majority of adults playing the game have enough sense to not blame the game for the actions of a few idiots.

And finally, it is not practical to monitor the channels that closely. This is not kindergarten "oo, you said @#$%, I'm so gonna tell on you! or run away and cry or whatever". All MMOs are marked teen+ for a variety of reasons. One of them being exposure to inappropriate statements. Do your part to report the offenders, sure, but grow a thicker skin and move on with your life. Being offended by words ... is childish, to be honest.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't think anyone should work when they aren't at work.

Playing STO when they have time off would more or less be work...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is no excuse for having a zone chat like this. None.

Back when I played a free browser game, they had GMs (maybe 2 or 3 max) and they weren't on 24/7 because they didn't have to. First, zone chat was clean for the most part because you never knew when a GM would be on. Secondly, the report system was looked into as soon as a GM would log on (bans or chat bans were done manual, never an automated system). The cost for these GMs? They paid them via in game currency stuff. So here, you'd pay them with Zen for their time for example.

If a free to play browser game can afford and manage it, there isn't any reason for STO not to.

Anyway, I'll just put this on record saying this is by far and none the worse of all MMO zone chat I have ever played in. It's a mess and beyond out of control because lets face it, the consequence of being a troll or say something very offensive is minimal assuming you do even get any consequences for it.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is a necessary evil. Moderation won't do a thing, it would only encourage the more determined out there to see how far they can push the rules, or indeed just ignore them all together.

Better to just leave everyone who enjoys such things to it and ignore them. Same for Ker'rat and indeed anywhere in the game where 'colourful' posting is commonplace.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You're offended by what someone said? Get the name and global handle, report them for offensive behavior, then Ignore them. You'll never hear from them again, and a GM will review the chat logs later to see exactly what was said.

If you simply ignore the behavior, it will never be corrected. By the same token, arguing with them yourself will do no good, and might get you in trouble as well. These sorts of people always think their particular hatefulness is justified.

Taco's line was that being in Chat under his work account was a lot like being a mall Santa; everyone wants to tell you what they want to get, and you're powerless to deliver on 99% of it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited August 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    There used to be a mod, palontir, I believe, who would occasionally jump into zone chat if it got a little too out of control. I've seen him tell people to knock it off in zone two times -- once to stop a pretty disturbing chat about furries, the other, some appalling racism -- but that was well over a year ago.

Not sure what happened to him, and I haven't seen a mod since, so here we are.

he was banning people for doing gorn jokes .I know him as the Gorn Manager .Hope is gone and hope the op will be gone too if what he said there is serious ,thou i doubt ...it looks like trolling which btw is against the forum rules.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's funny cuz I see people saying the exact same thing about each games chat channels in every single online game I play.

Probably because they'd like to get their point across, which, ironically enough, I've seen someone posted the same comment on another game I played last night. :P

I said, 'nah, STO is the worst.' His/her response was, 'that game is still running!?'.

There are others that are bad, then there is STO...
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited August 2014
    That's funny cuz I see people saying the exact same thing about each games chat channels in every single online game I play.

hey dont tell him that....he is trying to ban people who say things he is against ....in his own mind the op is a big dictator.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014

or they could employ a bot to monitor the chatter for noughty words, i have been on live chat before where this is implemented and it works very well.
    of course you can disguise you swear word with *$%@ type stuff that adults might see through but if there are youngsters arround at least it will mask it from them.

if players know their chat is being monitored 24/7 for inapropriate language they would likly be more polite.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The real bad thing about it is, that it's spilling ovr into other chat channels. For a while it kept to ESD/First City/DS9 etc... but nyou have people trying to distribute their uneducated, political bull**** into channels like doffjobs etc...
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm sure you guys have your own private servers that you use for gametesting and work hard at what you do. However, I think you are missing the big picture. This is a SOCIAL game.

When I log on and arrive at Earth Space Dock and am bombarded by hours of racist comments and discussions of **** and the most vile comments that you can think of...does that sound like a game you want to play?

How much money are you guys losing because people just don't want to be subjected to that?

Yes I am familiar with the ignore button and I am also familiar with the complete inability around here to ban people that only want to disrupt and annoy the community.

I wan't to play an MMO not a single player game.

[rant over]

This is maybe the less important issue about STO right now.. there are thousands of important issues than stupid chat conversations and popups. I have all the time the chat window minimized and of course i never see any comment from there. And i have most of the pop up disabled.

Sorry but this is not important, honestly. At first when i saw your post title i thought you going to talk about more important issues.. i guess i was wrong. Its always the same, people complaining about things that are not important compared with all the thousands of issues out there that actually are.

Now, answering your question about cryptic playing STO. No, i dont think they play their own game, unfortunately. Because if they did, all of the bad decisions they make will be avoided. And they will do a lot of things better. And they could do things to gain more profits and at the same time customers will be happy, and they will.. zzz. 2 months needed to pass until any member of the team told us that they are "aware" of the problems the game engine is causing. Probably because, since they dont play their own game, they didnt know anything about it until now.... you know what i mean.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You're offended by what someone said? Get the name and global handle, report them for offensive behavior, then Ignore them. You'll never hear from them again, and a GM will review the chat logs later to see exactly what was said.

As the OP I'll reply to this as I have seen this mentioned several times. I take the blame for not being clear enough but this just doesn't work. At least not in the past, and doesn't look like it does now either. I don't expect zone chat to be policed, but I do expect ESD to be policed from time to time and I do expect reports to be acted on quickly...not every few months. I've seen accounts here a year later that should have gotten a permanent ban and never ever heard from again. I believe in freedom of speech but the comments I refer to are genocidal. There is no place for that here or anywhere else.

I'm not a "dictator" as someone previously said, and the vast majority of foolishness I see in chat can easily be ignored by me. BUT, there needs to be a line that isn't crossed and that line seems to be crossed all too frequently.

Sure I can ignore someone....but that's me out of how many other people? This is a community issue and a game issue...not just about me. I can recall when I was much younger playing online games having a fear of consequences, why is it not only has that fear been lost but players lost any concern for what they have said?

I guess it's not just Cryptic's problem but ours as well.
    edited August 2014
    Even one or two would do miracles to neuter the sheer hatred, stupidity and TOS viloations that occur almost non-stop in most of the social & multiplayer zones, most prominently ESD, and have picked up pace with the speed of light since there are no GMs in STO.
    Why would you think that? You realize that the game is online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, minus maintainances and stuff like that. The offender may not even be online by the time your single or two moderators are online. They may not be listening to the right chat channel. MAybe the follow ESD and DS9 vigoriously, but the nasty talk just happens to be on Risa.

TO actually catch certain TOS violations, you will need to have the context of the conversation. WIthout it, you may either miss one completely, or you may actaully consider something offensive that wasn't. How many false positives do you want t see banned to satisfy your need for a "clean" chat. Can you accepted getting banned by mistake?

That's not how things work. I'm sure a factory/store would prefer having another worker, but they have to have security/guard otherwise they could be robbed blind.
    You have to cater to the entire game as a whole experience, not walk the path of least resistance and just let social zones turn into this what we see here in STO these days.
    The economical impact of idiots in the STO chat channel are not the same as a factory being robbed blind.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So instead of using the report button, you came to the forums to complain.....seems Logical. :rolleyes:
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    So instead of using the report button, you came to the forums to complain.....seems Logical. :rolleyes:

Perfectly logical...when the report button doesn't work.

Of course I don't expect a reply from you since most one sentence remarks are ill-considered. Kind of my point.