test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aux2Bat, What it is and why it needs fixing.

roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
Aux2Bat, in itself, is rather harmless, as all it does is drain Aux power to provide a rather minimal buff to the 3 other power levels for a brief period. Seems fair, drain 1 to buff the others.

Aux2Bat has a darker side, when paired with 3 Purple DOffs (Not specifying which ones, trawl the exchange to find out for yourself if you really want to break the game, this abusive trick needs removing, NOT more people doing it) that provide BOff power cooldowns on use of a Battery. The problem here is, Aux2Bat also triggers this DOff proc to fire, allowing for someone to, for example, fire BFaW, then immediately fire Aux2Bat, resetting their BFaW timer to about 10 seconds, AKA the same time it takes for the effect to wear off.

This DOff proc is fair when used with a battery, as you not only lose the battery itself, but also suffer a long, unchanged cooldown before being able to fire another battery, Aux2Bat however, is NOT consumed on use, and can be refired in at least 30 seconds (not sure if it is affected by the cooldown decrease from the DOffs it fires).

In essence, Aux2Bat is like photonic officer for sci BOffs, except much better, as it can be fired more often and has a much better effect (quicker cooldowns AND a power level buff).

I would like a developer to confirm to me whether this somewhat overpowered trick is intentional, or whether it's something that isn't brought up much (Looking at you PvPers, you abuse it more than anyone to keep your shields at max and weapons on special fire (e.g. BFaW, CFR, etc)).

I know this thread may have been posted before, as well as garner a lot of flame and troll comments.

The reason I bring this up is because I am sick of going into Elite Borg STFs and being able to do absolutely nothing because someone abusing Aux2Bat's BOff cooldown comes in and does over double the damage of anyone else on the team. It sucks the fun out of it.
sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
Post edited by roebotsixtyfive on

Comments

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Aux2Bat, in itself, is rather harmless, as all it does is drain Aux power to provide a rather minimal buff to the 3 other power levels for a brief period. Seems fair, drain 1 to buff the others.

Aux2Bat has a darker side, when paired with 3 Purple DOffs (Not specifying which ones, trawl the exchange to find out for yourself if you really want to break the game, this abusive trick needs removing, NOT more people doing it) that provide BOff power cooldowns on use of a Battery. The problem here is, Aux2Bat also triggers this DOff proc to fire, allowing for someone to, for example, fire BFaW, then immediately fire Aux2Bat, resetting their BFaW timer to about 10 seconds, AKA the same time it takes for the effect to wear off.

This DOff proc is fair when used with a battery, as you not only lose the battery itself, but also suffer a long, unchanged cooldown before being able to fire another battery, Aux2Bat however, is NOT consumed on use, and can be refired in at least 30 seconds (not sure if it is affected by the cooldown decrease from the DOffs it fires).

In essence, Aux2Bat is like photonic officer for sci BOffs, except much better, as it can be fired more often and has a much better effect (quicker cooldowns AND a power level buff).

I would like a developer to confirm to me whether this somewhat overpowered trick is intentional, or whether it's something that isn't brought up much (Looking at you PvPers, you abuse it more than anyone to keep your shields at max and weapons on special fire (e.g. BFaW, CFR, etc)).

I know this thread may have been posted before, as well as garner a lot of flame and troll comments.

The reason I bring this up is because I am sick of going into Elite Borg STFs and being able to do absolutely nothing because someone abusing Aux2Bat's BOff cooldown comes in and does over double the damage of anyone else on the team. It sucks the fun out of it.

Yes, I highly agree with you that this needs a good nerfing, and while Cryptic seems in the nerfing mood, needs do so with this ability as well.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So much wrong in the OPs post...assumptions and misinformation everywhere.

Posts like this don't help, the "cause" of aux2bat being nerfed.

If your going to put forward a motion...get your facts straight
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You sound mad that people are clearing Borg STFs faster than you. /sensiblechuckle

If Aux2-Make-Outdated-ZenStore-Ships-Useful-Again gets changed with the tech doffs, then you pretty much make a ton of c store ships completely obsolete.

I know you're upset, but look at the bigger picture. :P

TBH, you'd think the OMIGERD Nerf Aux2Bat threads would die down with something new to complain about, Tier 6 ships and Level 60 coming soon.
  • roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You sound mad that people are clearing Borg STFs faster than you. /sensiblechuckle

If Aux2-Make-Outdated-ZenStore-Ships-Useful-Again gets changed with the tech doffs, then you pretty much make a ton of c store ships completely obsolete.

I know you're upset, but look at the bigger picture. :P

Of course zen ships are useless (bar a few), fleet variants of them exist. Those that don't have fleet get changed eventually (See Galaxy X, Avenger's introduction made it useless, so they decided to buff it).

My point about the Borg STFs was having 1 person clear everything before the rest of the squad can even get into range gets very dull very fast. It's an ELITE mission, 1 person shouldn't be able to solo it without anyone elses help.

P.S. Speaking of useless ships, look at the newest of the Fed Mirror Ships, they give more customization options, but their stats are below average, even for a level 40 ship. The cruiser for example, seems to pack hull HP equiv to the level 30 Galaxy. They all just feel like a 9 console, full weapon, slightly stat buffed, variant of the low tier ship they share appearance with, which doesn't really help when the free ships at level 40 (or the other mirror ships) outclass them.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
    edited August 2014
    I personally think it needs nerfed, because there should never be a boff skill, that can be chained to reduce all boff skills by 30%, + give huge power increases to 3 subs at the same time.

edited August 2014
    Of course zen ships are useless (bar a few), fleet variants of them exist. Those that don't have fleet get changed eventually (See Galaxy X, Avenger's introduction made it useless, so they decided to buff it).

My point about the Borg STFs was having 1 person clear everything before the rest of the squad can even get into range gets very dull very fast. It's an ELITE mission, 1 person shouldn't be able to solo it without anyone elses help.

The actual number of people that can solo ISE, which is what I'm guessing you're upset about, is far and few inbetween. Even with A2B. And to be fair, if you compare that on a Scim with and without, the one without has parsed higher damage. Without using A2B and Techs.

So you admit Z-Store ships are useless and still want to take away the only single advantage alot of these ships can have to make them actually usable in a Que and not get laughed out of the game?

Fact of the matter is, dps wise, while using scimitar as the platform to compare, people have proved a non a2b can do more damage. Your beef seems more in line with people swarming with buffs + FaW. Shouldn't you be directing your issue at FaW? 360 degree, hit everything aoe that can be easily used back to back with or without A2B Doffing.
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Dear Cryptic/PWE,

I, the entitled suburban white male of middle class, am sick of my unique snowflake build that I made without looking at any of the game mechanics, reading any tooltips, and without doing even the most basic of mathematics performing poorly.

Please nerf anyone else as I am too lazy to learn how to best play the game or do any of the above.

TIA,

Overly-entitled pubbie.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    edited August 2014
    lerpyderp wrote: »
    Dear Cryptic/PWE,

I, the entitled suburban white male of middle class, am sick of my unique snowflake build that I made without looking at any of the game mechanics, reading any tooltips, and without doing even the most basic of mathematics performing poorly.

Please nerf anyone else as I am too lazy to learn how to best play the game or do any of the above.

TIA,

Overly-entitled pubbie.

/cough

* Clap *
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

your understanding seems quite limited on this subject. also, and this may blow your mind, you can slot 2 copies of FAW, and have even better, more reliable up time on FAW!
    edited August 2014
    your understanding seems quite limited on this subject. also, and this may blow your mind, you can slot 2 copies of FAW, and have even better, more reliable up time on FAW!

Not to mention with A2B you lose all your aux power down to like 5. :P
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Looking at you PvPers, you abuse it more than anyone to keep your shields at max and weapons on special fire...

The original post was riddled with misinformation that left me wanting to /facepalm with how wrong it was; but this part made me realize what kind of thread this was...and there was no point in trying to correct all the bad information.
    edited August 2014
    The original post was riddled with misinformation that left me wanting to /facepalm with how wrong it was; but this part made me realize what kind of thread this was...and there was no point in trying to correct all the bad information.

SubNuc, Explode, Roll-Out.
    edited August 2014

That can, and has been easily proven to get around, besides team skills do not require auxpwr.

edited August 2014

This...

/10 char

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So.... much... willfull ignorance!!..... Stahp! Can't... takes... no mores...!!!!

Please! Stahp! I beg you!

"You're making us look bad. READ A BOOK!" </TheTickCartoon>
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That can, and has been easily proven to get around, besides team skills do not require auxpwr.

Shhhhhh . . . don't tell anybody.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014

I don't want to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole, but using dual aux2bat lets the Aux power creep up from the 2nd use onwards, so that negative effect goes away really quickly.
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I don't want to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole, but using dual aux2bat lets the Aux power creep up from the 2nd use onwards, so that negative effect goes away really quickly.

^This by a long shot.

/10char

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014

If we start by explaining what elite should mean, then by any means 90% of the playerbase should only play normal.

That aside, very funny post with much misinformation. The basic assumption that A2B is the best solution is outright wrong. Any ship that can have its full tactical loadout without it (TT,FAW/CRF/CRV,APB, each times two or doffed) is better of without it. Every ship that has only a lt.cmd. tac and too many engineering doffs are... not really competitive without it.
    A2B was powerful in 2013, in 2014 its only a second class approach.

Its interesting how the game changes, but the complaints aint. I sure hope we see a "escorts are OP" 2012 revival thread.
    edited August 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    If we start by explaining what elite should mean, then by any means 90% of the playerbase should only play normal.

That aside, very funny post with much misinformation. The basic assumption that A2B is the best solution is outright wrong. Any ship that can have its full tactical loadout without it (TT,FAW/CRF/CRV,APB, each times two or doffed) is better of without it. Every ship that has only a lt.cmd. tac and too many engineering doffs are... not really competitive without it.
    A2B was powerful in 2013, in 2014 its only a second class approach.

Its interesting how the game changes, but the complaints aint. I sure hope we see a "escorts are OP" 2012 revival thread.

Those vessels are never meant to be tac competitive, giving them the ability to do so, makes for a complete game imbalance, at the use of one skill.

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Those vessels are never meant to be tac competitive, giving them the ability to do so, makes for a complete game imbalance, at the use of one skill.

They are also not competitive to cruisers with full tactical loadout. Take the Odyssey as the invincible fortress. You dont need more then a cmd.engineering and 2-3Sci-abilties to tank. The Galaxy doesnt lose to the Ody simply because the Ody makes more damage (well, technically she loses already here), but also because the Galaxy isnt more tanky then the Ody with lt. and lt.cmd. tac is, the second engineering BO is either redundancy or healing. And you dont need tankiness on a ship which cant produce/hold threat. Because tanking means getting aggro holding aggro AND staying alive. To insist on having a tank doing no dps is like asking the borg to finally get nerfed braindead, because only braindead enemies would attack the most unimportant enemy first and only.
    And that makes the Ody the far better tank (and dps-ship).

As for "was not meant to be", thats exactly the kind of comment I dont like. I say what my ships and chars are meant to be, not some stupid trinity-concept that should burn in hell. If I say my Vesta is a healer, its a healer, if I say its a drainer, its a drainer, and if I say it should do 20k in pugs, then the hell it should do it. Because I build it like this.
    If you want to make a healer, then go ahead and make one. But fortunately trinity is dead here, so dont go whining if you have zero value for your team.
    Everyone is their own master, as it should be, not bound by any concept, be it trinity, god or destiny!
    edited August 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    They are also not competitive to cruisers with full tactical loadout. Take the Odyssey as the invincible fortress. You dont need more then a cmd.engineering and 2-3Sci-abilties to tank. The Galaxy doesnt lose to the Ody simply because the Ody makes more damage (well, technically she loses already here), but also because the Galaxy isnt more tanky then the Ody with lt. and lt.cmd. tac is, the second engineering BO is either redundancy or healing. And you dont need tankiness on a ship which cant produce/hold threat. Because tanking means getting aggro holding aggro AND staying alive. To insist on having a tank doing no dps is like asking the borg to finally get nerfed braindead, because only braindead enemies would attack the most unimportant enemy first and only.
    And that makes the Ody the far better tank (and dps-ship).

As for "was not meant to be", thats exactly the kind of comment I dont like. I say what my ships and chars are meant to be, not some stupid trinity-concept that should burn in hell. If I say my Vesta is a healer, its a healer, if I say its a drainer, its a drainer, and if I say it should do 20k in pugs, then the hell it should do it. Because I build it like this.
    If you want to make a healer, then go ahead and make one. But fortunately trinity is dead here, so dont go whining if you have zero value for your team.
    Everyone is their own master, as it should be, not bound by any concept, be it trinity, god or destiny!

Building a ship is up to you, however game mechanics is up to the Dev's.

Either way, no one skill should provide that kind of cross the board cd reduction + add power to 3 subs, and not give a horrendous disadvantage, and by horrendous that means extremely bad, and not the easily mitigated drop in auxpwr bug the skill has currently.

No other skill offers this much advantage, and that is not game balancing.

edited August 2014

they exist, thats as far as it goes for what they were meant to do. they are only imbalanced when they don't have AtB, because they are underpowered without it.
    edited August 2014

Either way, no one skill should provide that kind of cross the board cd reduction + add power to 3 subs, and not give a horrendous disadvantage, and by horrendous that means extremely bad, and not the easily mitigated drop in auxpwr bug the skill has currently.

It isn't bugged. Just poorly designed and implemented.

• eeh19eeh19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

dear OP you are really missing a lot of info on how aux2bat other mechanics work....
    if you would like some help in understanding STO i would love to help plz pm me at @eeh19
    or find me on lag industry's TS london4.teamspeak.net:12201 5pm till late GMT

have fun
    EliteScorpionFighter
    edited August 2014
    they exist, thats as far as it goes for what they were meant to do. they are only imbalanced when they don't have AtB, because they are underpowered without it.

They are only underpowered, because the Dev's chose to allow them to be, they can come up with another means to allow them to be a bit more competitive, and not this cheesy solution to unbalanced skill spamming.

• overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Uh, no. The technicians DO NOT trigger on batteries, they were, from the first day, designed to interact with aux2bat. READ their long description, it is clearly stated there. This isn't some sort of nasty trick or exploit, it is their function and has been their function since the doffs were introduced to the game.
    Every time I see a thread against aux2bat it is riddled with false presumptions and wrong facts, just like this one. The power needs some bug fixing either in the mechanics or the tooltip because they don't match, but the technicians ARE working as advertised.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would like to point out a few things. The OP is correct t in his overall argument, and I noticed a few replies that really need to be answered.

Yes, aux2batt, when used with the mentioned 3 purple doffs, is game breaking. Its a fact. Any ability that would allow you to reactivate powers like BFAW, BO, CSV, CRF, etc is so OP'd that it makes everything else useless in comparison.

To clear things up, aux2batt gives a 10% cool down on all boff abilities when used with a certain doff equipped. And as you can put 3 on, this results in a 30% reduction each time it is activated. It also raises the power levels of weapons, shields, andplayeres at the cost of nearly all aux power.

Now, this doesn't sound like much. And normally, it wouldn't be. It would be just another setup with some unique advantages. But, there's a catch. When aux2batt is activated, it reduces the cool down of ALL boff abilities. This includes itself, and other copies. Yes, it causes a 15 sec cooldown on other copies, but it reduces the recharge on all others in the process, meaning you can activate it again and again with little or no gap. So, in other words, activate bfaw, activate aux2batt, and once bfaw has run its course, activate a second aux2batt and then reactivate bfaw. Over and over again. The same goes for epts, eptw, eng team, sci team, tac team, etc.

This ability, as stated, is extremely OP'd. But there is actually quite a simple fix. A number of them, in fact.

1) make it impossible to equip more than 1 of the needed doffs. I don't personally like this one, since the doffs themselves are not the problem, and would make a few other builds useless.

2) make aux2batt or the doff have only a chance to activate the cooldown. This way its still fairly viable, yet not a guarantee or very strong.

3) make aux2batt affect all boff abilities besides itself. Aux2batt would not cause a cooldown on itself, or other copies. This would allow the build to remain, and allow the doffs to retain their usefulness in other builds, but it would reign in the power creep this build offers.

There's one more thing I need to add. Removing or changing aux2batt in no way makes any ship obsolete. Its very existence, however, makes several other ships and builds a lot less useful.
    edited August 2014

so much armchair obsession with what it does on paper :rolleyes:

cruisers cant move quickly or turn well, they are sitting ducks. but, especially after the team skill system cooldown removal, AtB increases a tac cruisers terrible durability to compensate, a fix thats not just making cruisers move like an escort too. the game was escorts online because they dealt the most damage, and they were the hardest to kill becase of borg set proc heals and speed tanking. tac cruisers of the day had worse damage, and no speed tanking, so they sucked. now the 2 ship types are about even, thanks to AtB.

as long as the bug exists, no AtB escort is op ether. your still never going to have the mobility potential it has, and the enhanced survivability it gives an AtB escort is moot if there's a dedicated healer around.

They are only underpowered, because the Dev's chose to allow them to be, they can come up with another means to allow them to be a bit more competitive, and not this cheesy solution to unbalanced skill spamming.

there really is nothing that could be a more elegant solution to imbalance then AtB the way ti is now. but people have already made up thier minds to hate it on some ignorant principle, with an actual understanding of it similar to the OP's.

eng heavy ships are the weakest, so have a doff that lets you use your excess eng skills to stretch the few tac and sci skills you have, at the cost of valuable aux power. actually on paper, its a genius solution.