test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

can we please get bank ec caps removed?

tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
due to the news regarding the impending obsolescence of lockbox/lobi ships, i have elected to go into clearinghouse mode and move these ships out of my bank inventory and liquidate them into ec.
the problem is that i can only list 4 ships per toon on the exchange due to the ec cap, so i am faced with the choice of either listing in batches, or creating alts and alt accounts for the sole purpose of listing these ships.
first world problem indeed, but a problem nonetheless. is there any chance we can upcap the personal/account/fleet ec bank, or at lease raise the limit?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And you're complaining ......because???
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    And you're complaining ......because???

Mo money, mo problems.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A

Lol, "I have 4 billion EC and can't fit more." Wow. Just create a new toon, easy fix.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    First galaxy problems
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    simply creating a new toon isnt a real solution.
    for one, i would need to buy more toon slots.
    for another, alt accounts arent attractive because i would have to play through the tutorials to get access to the exchange terminal.
    for yet another, each new toon would still only be able to sell 4 ships at a time.
    and lastly, the entire reason i have the boxes is to avoid the necessity of creating bank toons and bank fleets.

it would just be great if we did away with the arbitrary ec limits on the banks.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You've totally missed the point. You have so much EC/assets you've broken the cap. No one feels bad for you.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree with him on this one. Some of us keep it so we can help others. Others just want more and more. I am in both.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    Sure, why not OP. Players should get a consolation prize after the bombshell of X2.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    due to the news regarding the impending obsolescence of lockbox/lobi ships, i have elected to go into clearinghouse mode and move these ships out of my bank inventory and liquidate them into ec.
    the problem is that i can only list 4 ships per toon on the exchange due to the ec cap, so i am faced with the choice of either listing in batches, or creating alts and alt accounts for the sole purpose of listing these ships.
    first world problem indeed, but a problem nonetheless. is there any chance we can upcap the personal/account/fleet ec bank, or at lease raise the limit?
    i can store some of you EC:D
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    i can store some of you EC:D

Genius!

Me too me too!!! Gimme!!!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    although having an EC limit might seem pointless to us players there must be a good reason for it you would think, I am sure that the devs put it there for a good reason even if we don't know what that is.
    if you are a gold player I am assuming you should have an EC limit of 1 billion EC per character and I would assume you also have a 1 billion EC in your account bank, im not sure if this is how it works but this is what im guessing, if you have 3 characters in play this will give you a total limit of 4billion.
    the thing I would be asking myself is why do I need all this EC ?, are you just saving it for the sake of it or are you planning on at some time in the future spending it on some stuff ?.
    also are you that desperate for bank spaces that you need to sell all these ships perhaps if you have not maxed out your bank spaces you could buy some more if you need more room.
    perhaps you would be better off just selling 2 or 3 ships and keeping the rest to sell at a later time.
    I cant see the devs ever removing the cap so really all we can do is find the best way to work within its limits, if this means hanging onto stuff we really don't want or even just discarding stuff and loosing their value then that's just the way it is.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    You've totally missed the point. You have so much EC/assets you've broken the cap. No one feels bad for you.
    im not sure why you think i am fishing for sympathy.
    i am offering feedback and asking for cryptic to reconsider the ec caps they have in place. due to both the amount of time some of us have been in sto and the constant devaluation of ec, 1b ec is not 'as much' ec as it was a year or two ago.
    also are you that desperate for bank spaces that you need to sell all these ships perhaps if you have not maxed out your bank spaces you could buy some more if you need more room.
    perhaps you would be better off just selling 2 or 3 ships and keeping the rest to sell at a later time.
    I cant see the devs ever removing the cap so really all we can do is find the best way to work within its limits, if this means hanging onto stuff we really don't want or even just discarding stuff and loosing their value then that's just the way it is.
    the entire reason i even have the ships is because they have allowed me to bypass the ec cap. i have all my inv spaces maxed. but its not a case of inventory space; i have a mule fleet i use just to store things in. i could easily hold on to the ships, but i am unloading them because they are a toxic asset at this time. i need to get rid of these ships but the ec caps everywhere are making it difficult to even list them all on the exchange.
    this has a knock-on effect too. since i cannot store the ec in my bank i am going to be buying up things off the exchange to store as assets, thus reducing their supply and making them more expensive to everybody else. the ec cap hurts everybody.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    im not sure why you think i am fishing for sympathy.
    i am offering feedback and asking for cryptic to reconsider the ec caps they have in place. due to both the amount of time some of us have been in sto and the constant devaluation of ec, 1b ec is not 'as much' ec as it was a year or two ago.

the entire reason i even have the ships is because they have allowed me to bypass the ec cap. i have all my inv spaces maxed. but its not a case of inventory space; i have a mule fleet i use just to store things in. i could easily hold on to the ships, but i am unloading them because they are a toxic asset at this time. i need to get rid of these ships but the ec caps everywhere are making it difficult to even list them all on the exchange.
    this has a knock-on effect too. since i cannot store the ec in my bank i am going to be buying up things off the exchange to store as assets, thus reducing their supply and making them more expensive to everybody else. the ec cap hurts everybody.

so if they are such a "toxic asset" what makes you think anyone would want to buy them?

at the end of the day all of your problems though important to you are not so to cryptic, if they have set this cap for their own reasons whether it be a system requirement or just for the hell of it then no begging or pleading will change that.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    First universe problem.

All we need to focus on is annihilate the federation.

Well thats nice... I suppose you didn take too kindly to the KDF surrender?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Or you can send a Aquatic Carrier my way! Problem solved! :P

* Putputs around in Mirror Voquv. *
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    for another, alt accounts arent attractive because i would have to play through the tutorials to get access to the exchange terminal.
    Nah, you should have already done the Fed tutorial, and Fed freshmeat spawns at SFA where there's an Exchange terminal right there, right after you skip the tutorial. I've made Emergency Trading Holograms for this very purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Kind of cool for players who like to play "merchant" in game really, as now they can experience negative equity on their stored assets/investments, increasing the immersion of the "merchant" sub game.

Good times if you are a dyed in the wool merchant. :D
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It may be difficult to remove.

I observe that a "standard" 32 bit integer is roughly 4 billion. If the money is stored in such an entity, "removing the limit" is a serious programming effort, most likely.

All I can suggest is somehow invest in something that will retain value, but dunno what that would be. Top end crafting materials might not change much with the update. Keys tend to increase in value over time. Something like this could "store" a few hundred million for you.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I observe that a "standard" 32 bit integer is roughly 4 billion. If the money is stored in such an entity, "removing the limit" is a serious programming effort, most likely.

A solution could be to just divide every value ingame by 100 (round where necessary). There is barely any item ingame that's valued below 100 EC anways, so they might as well cut the last two digits.

Wouldn't have any impact on anyone else other than getting used to lower numbers, the select few with big enough bank accounts could get a higher cap, plus it'd have a positive influence on game perfomance.
  • Options
    onehalfklingononehalfklingon Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Buy keys. Then, more keys.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Buy keys. Then, more keys.

I would not recommend that, according to the players in thetradingchannel, the current keys will be obsolete.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Going from 1 billion to 2 billion should be safe, because that's within the size of a standard 32 bit integer. You could theoretically go up to 4 because that's the size of an unsigned int, but it would require a LOT of regression testing. One mistake and you're broke, or have a large negative amount of ec. (That's ignoring possible technical limitations in databases and whatnot.) They could go to 64 bit numbers, which could easily store billions of ec, but that would require recompiling both the server and client, and even more regression testing. (And you could run into database problems that'd scuttle the whole thing.) It'd be a lot of work.

tl;dr
    No.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh crud thats a good point I gotta do that too.

Single character limit is 1 billion, but what about the account bank?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    It may be difficult to remove.

All I can suggest is somehow invest in something that will retain value, but dunno what that would be. Top end crafting materials might not change much with the update. Keys tend to increase in value over time. Something like this could "store" a few hundred million for you.
    would they seriously be running 32 bit servers?
    so if they are such a "toxic asset" what makes you think anyone would want to buy them?

at the end of the day all of your problems though important to you are not so to cryptic, if they have set this cap for their own reasons whether it be a system requirement or just for the hell of it then no begging or pleading will change that.
    because some people want a galor or a dkora and are ok with them losing value. which is very different than having many of them all lose their value.

as far as 'begging and pleading' are concerned... it works for feds, so why not me?
    Nah, you should have already done the Fed tutorial, and Fed freshmeat spawns at SFA where there's an Exchange terminal right there, right after you skip the tutorial. I've made Emergency Trading Holograms for this very purpose.
    on an account that i have unlocked the ec cap and ran one toon through the tutorial, yes. but not on a completely fresh account.
    Yes it is, you just don't like it.

Waah. Poor Scrooge McDuck too cheap to spend a buck so he can make millions and hoard his billions.

Color me unsympathetic.

Apparently you have forgotten what happened to the email feature when it got overloaded.

On second thought this is a great opportunity for Cryptic to get rid of the excess EC choking the economy.

Remove the cap.

Wait a few months.

Stage a fake bank crash and wipe everything banked over a billion.

Refuse to restore any lost EC.

Sit back and laugh mockingly at the poor wittle market gurus who now have to start over from scratch.

Meanwhile inflation takes a nosedive and everyone else is happy.

:P
    are you one of the people that lost your golden egg when i started spending my time inworld giving it all away for free? sounds like it.
    cant say that i am sorry for that.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    cidjack wrote: »
    I would not recommend that, according to the players in thetradingchannel, the current keys will be obsolete.

Wait, what? I had stopped paying attention to this thread until this comment popped up. Do they have some source for this info? PM me with it.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, I don't see them lifting the EC cap anytime soon, so do like other's have suggested, and make more alts to store those EC's, otherwise stop complaining.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    would they seriously be running 32 bit servers?

Doesn't matter if it's a 32, 64, or 256 bit server. What matters is the size of the field used to hold the value of ec in a character's bank, which, dollars to donuts, is a 32 bit int.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Wait, what? I had stopped paying attention to this thread until this comment popped up. Do they have some source for this info? PM me with it.
    There is a rumor that keys will eventually be bound to account. Apparently they did it in Neverwinter already.