test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Frustrated with the lack of options....

nabreekinabreeki Member Posts: 2,657 Arc User
Those who know me know that I am a long-time player of STO, a big supporter of all the recent game changes implemented by the devs, and a massive Trek fan. It should come as little surprise to anyone that I am loving all these updates -- starting with LoR, they have ALL been grand slams, as far as I can see. The devs have continually hit it out of the park with season 8, 8.5, 9, and this last update. Thanks for all your time and effort, Devs, your hard work is definitely being noticed on my end.

However...I am a little hesitant to jump on the whine-wagon, but the RP-friendly options, especially the social zones, have left me just a little cold. For awhile, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I think I have a pretty good handle on what's been bothering me: I don't feel comfortable in the social areas provided by STO as of now. I LOVED Club 47, and I cannot WAIT for the revamped version. The first one was absolutely fabulous, and I miss it sorely. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: STO needs some more LGBT-friendly options. I want seductive dances for males. I want mankinis. I want some "safe" social areas where people can come and RP with like-minded players without the constant harassment and tired threats.

How about it, Devs?

You've been nailing it so far, let's keep this going!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Getting a little bored, Nabreeki?

If you're very good I'll make a thread that is a veiled anti-disco ball thread, will that cheer you up?

Still this Starfleet Dental Video is by far one of my favorites - mostly because I love the trammps - disco inferno:eek::P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrnT7RpQ9Lg

Nabreeki in all his Blue glory!! :)
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, you do have this nice private place called your bridge far away from the people who will chase you off. Reminds me of some advice you used to hand out on a different subject, you might want to try following it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I have another one in the works, but I've been pretty lazy about finishing it.

I would prefer another disco themed video - your others are kind of - Meh - Disco Inferno is by far the best(the Trammps). Of course your title of the video "Disco Fever" is incorrect - it was by the Bee Gees (although it's often called "Disco Fever" - the real song name is "Night Fever")- but just a minor technicality.

But I shall now exit to stage left - as I have a bad feeling this thread could go down hill fast:eek::rolleyes:
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Which subject was that, exactly? The point is this: Star Trek is first and foremost a social game for social players, and players need to feel safe and secure regardless of their backgrounds. I simply do not feel that this game currently supports a certain segment of the population that is very much in-step with the vehemently progressive ideals on which Star Trek was initially based. We've come a long way, but there is still more to go.

Would love to clarify more on your point, Vaporak, but I'm going to need some more context.

Edit: Yes, the video is disco-related.

Come now Nbreeks, you know exactly what I mean. You have one in your signature, you even mentioned it in the last line of your post. I do specifically remember you, on several occasions, telling folks that if they didn't want to have to dance to a disco ball, to go and have a social gathering on their bridge.

Now I shall rephrase it in the context of your own concern.

If you feel discriminated or otherwise bullied when having LGBT social gatherings, go to your bridge. That wondrous place is free from harassment and tired threats. No one can bother you there, and it is available 24/7.

Or perhaps you could even petition the devs to create a GPL item to nullify harassing players, but then again that would be a waste of development time... especially since the "problem" you have isn't even created in any way by the devs.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have another one in the works, but I've been pretty lazy about finishing it.

As to the other posts above: this is EXACTLY the kind of behavior I'm talking about, and the attitude that I think places a smudge on an otherwise very progressive game based on a very progressive franchise. If we are really going to push this IP forward, people are going to have to learn how to embrace everyone.

Indeed, I myself missed that part in the path where the New Essentialists managed to take over the UFP.
  • Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Still this Starfleet Dental Video is by far one of my favorites - mostly because I love the trammps - disco inferno:eek::P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrnT7RpQ9Lg

Nabreeki in all his Blue glory!! :)

This! This!!! This is the BEST STO video I have seen. It seems to capture everything that STO is about! Bravo! Barvo! CBS should buy this up and make the next movie aorund this.

BTW, I agree with the OP. There needs to be places to "come out" in STO. I don't understand how this game lacks male on male kissing emotes. I know would pay all my Zen for that feature.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ST is the first series to show a same-sex kiss on cable television.

No, I don't think this is true. DS9 was not on cable. And Star Trek was not the first. Let me google for 4 seconds...

1991: "The first kiss between a homosexual couple airs on network TV during an episode of L.A. Law. Abby Perkins, played by Michele Greene, and C.J. Lamb, played by Amanda Donohoe, kiss after Abby gets a raise."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No, there should be a social area -- open to the public, naturally -- that is a bit more LGBT oriented........

Did you see the throw cushions in the lounges on Risa?
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    No, I don't think this is true. DS9 was not on cable. And Star Trek was not the first. Let me google for 4 seconds...

1991: "The first kiss between a homosexual couple airs on network TV during an episode of L.A. Law. Abby Perkins, played by Michele Greene, and C.J. Lamb, played by Amanda Donohoe, kiss after Abby gets a raise."

First inter-racial kiss in TOS...maybe.

Don't have the link but the story behind it is pretty convulated.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    First inter-racial kiss in TOS...maybe.

Don't have the link but the story behind it is pretty convulated.

No, I don't think that is true either. I'm too lazy to google it, but it was Sammy Davis Jr. and a white actress.

And it wasn't forced like in Star Trek, iirc.

Edit: OK, googled, Sammy Davis Jr. and Nancy Sinatra, but it was a kiss on the cheek. So, maybe Trek does deserve some credit, if you consider a forced lip kiss by menacing aliens to be more progressive than a genuine and affectionate kiss on the check.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Those who know me know that I am a long-time player of STO, a big supporter of all the recent game changes implemented by the devs, and a massive Trek fan. It should come as little surprise to anyone that I am loving all these updates -- starting with LoR, they have ALL been grand slams, as far as I can see. The devs have continually hit it out of the park with season 8, 8.5, 9, and this last update. Thanks for all your time and effort, Devs, your hard work is definitely being noticed on my end.

However...I am a little hesitant to jump on the whine-wagon, but the RP-friendly options, especially the social zones, have left me just a little cold. For awhile, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I think I have a pretty good handle on what's been bothering me: I don't feel comfortable in the social areas provided by STO as of now. I LOVED Club 47, and I cannot WAIT for the revamped version. The first one was absolutely fabulous, and I miss it sorely. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: STO needs some more LGBT-friendly options. I want seductive dances for males. I want mankinis. I want some "safe" social areas where people can come and RP with like-minded players without the constant harassment and tired threats.

How about it, Devs?

your also a known forum version of a pyromaniac and green goblin like creature. this is written in such a way to get a bite :P.

you feel good about it, good for you. but ive said my piece about the seasons on other threads. :rolleyes:

when season 10 comes, we will see what comes of it, same with c47.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am in HUGE support of this...

Being the RP hater that I am, finding it ridiculous, I fully support that they get their own rooms where they can play their little fantasies without the usual disruptions.

Do what OP Asked... Give them more options... Let them play in peace.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    vhex333vhex333 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This may all be addressed in the new club on ESD. It may be a multi-roomed afair where people can RP to their heart's content and not worry about spawning so many performance stunting disco balls etc.

The ST world of the future is indeed tolerant of all pursasions and I am sure there are even more sexual preferences than we have today (human male in love with a tri-sexual-trans-gender cloud of spores) and they should live long and prosper etc. That said, the game should cater for all, so if true, please remember these social zones can be impacted by a large amount of fx generating gimmicks and the majority of players don't want to dance when on the exchange or suffer a drop in framerate when moving through the station to do their business. ESD is a large space with a long draw distance and can suffer from bad performance on some systems. Tolerance goes in all directions and I for one would appreciate the party zone being in a part of the station which does not add to the draw and performance of the main station. For tech reasons only.

Also, my character is a freakin envoy to what remains of the Dominion and a skinny, pale and grumpy character that does not dance... And if forced, and this were a RP, would attempt to shoot someone in the face if forced to dance.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014

How about it, Devs?

Mankini?? Really...

Season 8,8.5,9?? Significant improvement definitely not. Cryptic has been removing and nerfing since Season 8.

Again.. Mankini? I accept bikini but I really think another name should be made a a man bikini.

Hell. If someone wants to wear a swimsuit. It's a swimsuit.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    really why ask for more swimsuits when we can only use them on one planet ...................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    well i want my sexy romulan to be able to use her bikini off of risa but you know that old saying we dont always get what we want :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Either you couldn't read my previous post or simply didn't read it. I don't need to justify my request any more than I already have. Why does anyone request anything cosmetic in this game? Because they want it.

The only problem I have you your suggestion, is probably that we would need a "willy" slider in the Tailor xD
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    The only problem I have you your suggestion, is probably that we would need a "willy" slider in the Tailor xD

rofllmfao you made me spit my Mountain Dew at the screen!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Why does that present a problem?

I am a supporter of the "nature gave you what you deserve" concept... The whole adjustment thing is a problem for me... Obviously in STO, it would have to be a RNG instead of nature.
    daan2006 wrote: »
    rofllmfao you made me spit my mount dew at the screen!!!!!

Sorry...
This discussion has been closed.