test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My enthusiasm is dead. Here's why.

Comments

• jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have to agree with the OP. For me, when I think of Star Trek I think of this... http://youtu.be/x3pOkhU9iYM?t=20s

But when I think of STO now, I think of this.... http://youtu.be/i_OjztdQ8iw?t=2s

It would be really great if the Dev sat down and tried to remember some of the things that Star Trek is about and used them to set this game apart for all the other free "kill 10 rats" games out there.

I have also notice that while no one in my fleet declared they are giving up on STO, no one is really playing it anymore. A few logged in to check out the new crafting system but then just went back to playing other games.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jengoz wrote: »
    A few logged in to check out the new crafting system but then just went back to playing other games.

They're taking jonsills's advice and playing other games while on break. Eventually a large enough group of people may do that where the metrics folks take notice.

Of course, you ask me, they already HAVE taken notice as their current focus on attracting new players seems to be their solution to that problem. They've decided to pivot and shift focus on the short term cycle of attracting new players, convincing them to spend money. And less focus on the long term players who have already spent money and want more from their development team than they can currently provide. It's not a bad plan as it continually keeps them catching their target audience right at that point where things are new and it's easy to convince yourself to make a purchase. Old timey vets are less likely to impulse buy on ship packs when that ship pack already has ships they own, and stuff like that. Old timey vets are less likely to buy into a crafting system like the one that just launched since they already have top tier gear. And so on and so forth.

So what that really demonstrates is perhaps the game isn't being made for your. Or me.

Which is fine. I'll just take my long term committment, and the cash dollars that go with it, somewhere else. It's really that easy. I'll - for lack of a better word - go EXPLORING.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hit my burnout point about three weeks into the summer event when I realized I was grinding for things I didn't even particularly want. I got no use for the Risa corvette on my Rom sci, my KDF engi does perfectly well in a Tor'Kaht, and my Fed tac? I frankly find the very idea of a frakking cruise liner that outperforms the GCS to be a colossal insult.

I basically stopped playing due to a combination of lack of time (I suddenly found myself gainfully employed for the first time in literally years last month) and lack of attraction. I think I've logged in twice since then, both times solely to update my Foundry NPCs into the Odyssey uniforms.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So what that really demonstrates is perhaps the game isn't being made for your. Or me.

Which is fine. I'll just take my long term committment, and the cash dollars that go with it, somewhere else. It's really that easy. I'll - for lack of a better word - go EXPLORING.

Or they're doing what I'm doing. Leveling up my strange stickybomb launcher. Which is actually fun to level up.
    starswordc wrote: »
    I hit my burnout point about three weeks into the summer event when I realized I was grinding for things I didn't even particularly want. I got no use for the Risa corvette on my Rom sci, my KDF engi does perfectly well in a Tor'Kaht, and my Fed tac? I frankly find the very idea of a frakking cruise liner that outperforms the GCS to be a colossal insult.

I basically stopped playing due to a combination of lack of time (I suddenly found myself gainfully employed for the first time in literally years last month) and lack of attraction. I think I've logged in twice since then, both times solely to update my Foundry NPCs into the Odyssey uniforms.

Pretty much my story exactly minus the unemployed part. I really want this game to be fun again, I will come back for whatever E2 holds, but until then, I have other things to do.

I will still post on the forums though. I'm too much of a nerd to give that up.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I will still post on the forums though. I'm too much of a nerd to give that up.

I know how you feel there.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    I found myself nodding with each and every sentence in this one. However, I don't believe the revolving door of new players is something they can keep relying on. Most people who I met in STO either are fans of Star Trek or at least enjoyed the series on some level. I don't see too many generic MMO players drawn into the shallow content pool and simplistic mechanics (of ESTF / end game). Add in the lack of challenge and poor story / RP and this is a mediocre MMO without the IP.

Trek is suffering from diminishing fandom too. No running TV series in a decade and infrequent movie releases don't make for a massively expanding fanbase. Enterprise was a failure (it was cancelled) and Voyager suffered through major rating problems. So Trek hasn't really been in top form for more than 2 decades (early to mid 90s).

Tread carefully Cryptic!

They're taking jonsills's advice and playing other games while on break. Eventually a large enough group of people may do that where the metrics folks take notice.

Of course, you ask me, they already HAVE taken notice as their current focus on attracting new players seems to be their solution to that problem. They've decided to pivot and shift focus on the short term cycle of attracting new players, convincing them to spend money. And less focus on the long term players who have already spent money and want more from their development team than they can currently provide. It's not a bad plan as it continually keeps them catching their target audience right at that point where things are new and it's easy to convince yourself to make a purchase. Old timey vets are less likely to impulse buy on ship packs when that ship pack already has ships they own, and stuff like that. Old timey vets are less likely to buy into a crafting system like the one that just launched since they already have top tier gear. And so on and so forth.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

I think they saturated on grinds and gimicks. Grind-a-versery was the first step. Add in Winter and Summer events (which I never bother to grind) and the lack of content. Even Season 9 was a dismal effort. The new queued missions are practically dead (except for the occasional group farming mats). People are still queueing for Borg ESTF (though in diminishing nunbers). Exactly how old are those again?

I think the expansion is their best bet to revitalize the game. But considering Geko is in charge(technically) and he is excited about "metric tons new ships", I wouldn't get too optimistic just yet.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Hehe yeah, metric tons of new story missions would have been much much better.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    weird how the fans favourite mmos are both turned into F2P TRIBBLE . this and swtor

maybe developers and publishers should start listening to what fans want and i dont mean gamers . i mean the fans who kept star trek and its vision alive during its not so popular years before TNG hit the screens . thats not saying new fans have no say lol . just why wont they listen to people who care

just to add this game dieing might not be a bad thing from a trekkers point of veiw . as things are CBS will not offer new liscenses for trek games as this is supposed to be a flagship project maybe if it folded we would see some good stuff happening on a currently stagnant games scene

longing for a remakes of star trek command etc
  • nachtfangennachtfangen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bruccy wrote: »
    weird how the fans favourite mmos are both turned into F2P TRIBBLE . this and swtor

Fans... favorite?

Favorites??

*snrk* *SNORT* *GUFFAW!*

The main reason many games go 'F2P' is because they can't get fans to subscribe... why? Because they cannot compete, that's why.
    They'd rather spew out dumb down grind and paygate their players and claim it's F2P.

Favorites... Oh, lord, someone get me a girdle, I'm about to bust a gut here...

The numbers in STO are lower than Eve Online had for half of its run (and *gasp* that game could engage players enough to Subscribe! No paygates! Manageable time grinds! Set it and go gameplay... It works!). Even now Eve Online enjoys more concurrent players at any given time than STO.
    Double that - and Eve is by far not the largest game out there. Not by a long stretch.
    But it eclipses STO as far as active users logging in.

Then of course there's WoW - you think sw:tor is a favorite? It's a birthday candle on WoW's tenth anniversary continent. WoW's concurrent userbase doubles that of STO in its prime... quadruples it *with* sw:tor added in to boot.
  • bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Fans... favorite?

Favorites??

*snrk* *SNORT* *GUFFAW!*

The main reason many games go 'F2P' is because they can't get fans to subscribe... why? Because they cannot compete, that's why.
    They'd rather spew out dumb down grind and paygate their players and claim it's F2P.

Favorites... Oh, lord, someone get me a girdle, I'm about to bust a gut here...

The numbers in STO are lower than Eve Online had for half of its run (and *gasp* that game could engage players enough to Subscribe! No paygates! Manageable time grinds! Set it and go gameplay... It works!). Even now Eve Online enjoys more concurrent players at any given time than STO.
    Double that - and Eve is by far not the largest game out there. Not by a long stretch.
    But it eclipses STO as far as active users logging in.

Then of course there's WoW - you think sw:tor is a favorite? It's a birthday candle on WoW's tenth anniversary continent. WoW's concurrent userbase doubles that of STO in its prime... quadruples it *with* sw:tor added in to boot.

i ment science fiction fans and i dont think you read my entire post and i while mostly agree with what you say .why did have to come accoss as a **** saying it
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i agree with the first post and also I get bored incredibly why?

- wait wait wait

- stfs (except ground borg) are too easy, no fail

- too many Op and scimitar ships, and i don't know why but players who bought these ships don't play in team but alone in most stfs

- the end of explorations, where i can play with my away team? (sphere battleground, nimbus that's all)

- the courtesy is dead: no "hi, hello" when we begin a mission, no "thx" when you help someone etc

- grinding/farming etc, damn i'm fed up with that, i want real playable contents (missions, campaigns etc), doffs have more interesting missions than us

- more freedom is in the tailor, in fact the end of off-duty, uniforms etc

- stop to release ships, because we have nothing to do with them, except always the same stfs

- stupid packs, i want the eye patch for my klingon, but i won't buy the academy costume just for a piece.

- costumes are too expensive, if cryptic wants to earn money, they should lowered the prices and add small items (for a price of 125), damn a tribble or a targ at 300 zen; are you crazy???

- a small daily profits is more interesting than the hope of a big purchase (
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    - the courtesy is dead: no "hi, hello" when we begin a mission, no "thx" when you help someone etc

-

This kind of caught my attention - I have just recently started doing the PvE content after finishing the rep on many toons quite some time ago(I only did Undine rep on 1 toon) - but I noticed that no-one talks any more in chat. Maybe a couple "GG" at the end from 2 players at most. It's warp in - do the job - warp out as quickly as possible. I remember when not only did players say hello - but also commented on the mission(both during and after)

I guess the new "Solo queues" that Al Rivera wants to bring in will be quite popular.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This kind of caught my attention - I have just recently started doing the PvE content after finishing the rep on many toons quite some time ago(I only did Undine rep on 1 toon) - but I noticed that no-one talks any more in chat. Maybe a couple "GG" at the end from 2 players at most. It's warp in - do the job - warp out as quickly as possible. I remember when not only did players say hello - but also commented on the mission(both during and after).

I guess the new "Solo queues" that Al Rivera wants to bring in will be quite popular.

In the original versions of the STFs, we actually had <gasp> conversations! Sometimes they lasted hours. Then someone had the bright idea to split it up and then the conversations stopped. :(

It's funny, Cryptic said they want to increase socializing, but they make it worse til now we have solo queues. :rolleyes:
    edited July 2014
    In the original versions of the STFs, we actually had <gasp> conversations! Sometimes they lasted hours. Then someone had the bright idea to split it up and then the conversations stopped. :(

It's funny, Cryptic said they want to increase socializing, but they make it worse til now we have solo queues. :rolleyes:

Funny story:

I remember way back when starting out eSTFs- someone told me that I should go read up on the strategy beforehand and I did! Can you image a new player going and reading up on how to do the mission now - LOL - like that would happen:rolleyes:
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This kind of caught my attention - I have just recently started doing the PvE content after finishing the rep on many toons quite some time ago(I only did Undine rep on 1 toon) - but I noticed that no-one talks any more in chat. Maybe a couple "GG" at the end from 2 players at most. It's warp in - do the job - warp out as quickly as possible. I remember when not only did players say hello - but also commented on the mission(both during and after)
    I noticed that too. It's strange to put it mildly.
    Personally i'm looking forward to it. But not for the reasons you may think.
    In fact i think it will increase the Star Trek feeling. One ship, one Crew. Not 5 ships five crews flying an attack. I hope that there will be some challenging missions.
    I always hated this MMO typical Min/Max-ing. If you are on your own, your ship can't just rip through enemy lines blowing up everything in sight (hopefully).
    Maybe i'm the only one looking forward to such missions, i just don't like to depend on other people (especially in a game).

Of course such a mission must be done right...

I couldn't care less about the MMO aspect TBH, what i want is to play a good Star Trek game.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    I noticed that too. It's strange to put it mildly.

Personally i'm looking forward to it. But not for the reasons you may think.
    In fact i think it will increase the Star Trek feeling. One ship, one Crew. Not 5 ships five crews flying an attack. I hope that there will be some challenging missions.
    I always hated this MMO typical Min/Max-ing. If you are on your own, your ship can't just rip through enemy lines blowing up everything in sight (hopefully).
    Maybe i'm the only one looking forward to such missions, i just don't like to depend on other people (especially in a game).

Of course such a mission must be done right...

I couldn't care less about the MMO aspect TBH, what i want is to play a good Star Trek game.

In the context of Star Trek it makes sense. There was usually 1 ship - the "hero ship" - which was out there alone meeting the enemy. But in every major engagement there were lots of ships - just that they were nowhere near as powerful/useful as the "hero ship"

I have mixed feeling about the solo queue. But I have little doubt that they are coming. When I go into a mission nowadays I get the distinct feeling from others: "why are these guys in my single player Star Trek game?"
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm with the op here.

I used to run a fleet, well technically still do, but the bleed is so excessive only the die hards stay, and the effort to keep recruiting just isn't worth it, so now its there.. we have nothing to do and no reason to do what else is around. So now I let the fleet sort of.. do its own thing.

I used to actually play a lot, now I log in, Doff for 10 mins per character and then I'm afk most of the night. Oh wait, they added crafting, so now I Doff and craft for 10 mins and 7 seconds.

So here are some problems, and to sum it all up its pretty easy to see whats wrong, but nothing is going to be done with it.

Reputation and timers.
    Daily timegates serve a purpose for customer retention, but when virtually every aspect of the game is limited to a daily timegate it makes TRIBBLE boring. I like they removed the grind from rep, I hate the fact that rep is a grind because the content is boring and nobody really wants to play it.

Boffs
    Customizing Boffs is awesome, playing with them is kind of awesome.. if they didn't get stuck or have stupid AI. There is a lot of cool things you could do with Boffs but thats not profitable so TRIBBLE it, right? Who cares about making things fun. Its something the devs just don't care about

Ships
    A lot of the men around seem to love their new ships, its shiny, they pay for it, and then they dump the pieces of garbage for something less gimmicy or something newer. It makes a lot of money, so they'll keep doing it.
    The problem is, why get excited about ships? The game content has been so dumbed down, so easy, so impossible to fail who really cares about ships? They are building their game on a broken platform, it makes no sense.

Lobi Store
    I want to buy a lot of stuff from here, but I never buy anything from here. There is a lot of cool looking things, but not a lot of good things. I won't support ultra expensive low quality gear on a character unlock only basis.

Uniformity
    One of the best ways to tell how lame things are would be NWS. The difference between enemies is SNB.. the rest doesn't matter.
    I get the devs made the Voth and Unidine different and more unique, and its great they did that, but.. other than rep why would you waste your time there? There is no reason to play it, you are time gated. No matter how different they are, the tactic is to shoot them until they die, because they aren't doing enough damage to get through even an escorts shields.
    The borg have been nerfed endlessly to be a laughing stock, and all their potentially good weapons don't even exist in STFs, its all about killing structures.

There is a lot more to gripe about. The entire queue thing has killed any atmosphere the game once had. Restricting travel in a game is bad, but so is making everything instant, there needs a balance. The level of bugs accumulating is also a major deterent to new players and retention.. new players come in, ask why is this that? The answer is its a bug and its been that way 3+ years. After a while those bugs win, they wear on you.

To sum it up

You can't get rid of the feeling even enemy is the same because no matter what tricks you put on them, they don't kill you, you also never fail the mission, and you have no restriction for missions you play no matter how awful a player you might be. Those awful players never have any incentive to improve, and even if they did there is no information inside the game for them to do so. The game is so incredibly easy nothing matters. Honestly, the game shouldn't be about grinding, about time gates, and lock boxes, if you make the game fun people will play, pay and to be happy for things they like... right now its just boring. Once something is boring the game becomes a grind. Its been a grind for a while, and each season or half season only adds to the lack of playable content.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Everything is based around waiting now.

This is literally the biggest problem with the game right now. Doffing, Crafting, Queued missions, Reputation, Starbases, literally everything is based around waiting. Sure everyone complains about Grinding, but we aren't even grinding anymore! This is what Star Trek Online is now. Watching a clock. All we're doing is waiting for a timer to tick down.

i have a really interesting, inovative and constructive reply to give to this but i havent got time now so you will have to wait.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited July 2014

Oh god this is a huge deal for me. Where the hell did chivalry go?
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We've forgotten it's a game and we're supposed to be having fun. Everybody is taking it all too seriously and too many parts of the game now make it seem like a job instead of recreation. This is the kind of thing that happens when the "fun factor" has been sucked out of a game.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • firefox3178firefox3178 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Agreed - whilst there are still occasions where or or two people MIGHT say GG at the conclusion of a run, such occurences are rare.

Sadly, the same CANNOT be said about the rage/insults etc that are forthcoming when the team don't do something that one particular player thinks they should. Example - ISE a few weeks ago.

Captain Rage: >>>Target: Gate<<<<
    *Player A attacks final Tactical cube instead*
    Captain Rage: OMG! WTF? GATE FIRST NOOB!!

I won't go into the mechanics of ISE - that's a discussion held many times before - but needless to say, given the choice of no communication or the above, I'd chose none.

Then again, I can't help but think that this is all a by-product of the overly-entitled, self-important, attitudes that so many people are adopting these days.

My main sci used to be built around fleet support. I remember getting thanked often for keeping the team alive. It was fun to help out, and you knew the people appreciated it. Now, hardly anyone bothers to acknowledge or show any gratitude for supporting them, and more often than not they will let a fellow team member go down rather than try and heal them. Courtesy is indeed dead in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic: If you think the bugs are bad, wait until you see our fixes!
    edited July 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    We've forgotten it's a game and we're supposed to be having fun. Everybody is taking it all too seriously and too many parts of the game now make it seem like a job instead of recreation. This is the kind of thing that happens when the "fun factor" has been sucked out of a game.

I believe this is relevant.
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My enthusiasm is dead

How cute. See you ingame tomorrow. - Cryptic
    edited July 2014
    ashlotte wrote: »
    How cute. See you ingame tomorrow. - Cryptic

Uninstalled. Replaced with SFM. I think I might join the Saxxy's this year.
    edited July 2014

You know we never did get our Skants - oh well - not like that will happen now:(
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I haven't uninstalled my game, but that's only because I still have some foundry stuffs to finish and clear up. It's hard to quit when you've got foundry missions. :(
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited July 2014
    nicha0 wrote: »

Ships
    A lot of the men around seem to love their new ships, its shiny, they pay for it, and then they dump the pieces of garbage for something less gimmicy or something newer.

AND women love ships as much as men do! >:[
    edited July 2014

Well, we'll miss you! :O Even though I never knew you I've seen you 'round lots.

Won't let your well-thought out and quite truthful doom and gloom thread steal my joy though! I just bought Lifetime and regret nothing! :o
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Everything is based around waiting now.

This is literally the biggest problem with the game right now. Doffing, Crafting, Queued missions, Reputation, Starbases, literally everything is based around waiting. Sure everyone complains about Grinding, but we aren't even grinding anymore! This is what Star Trek Online is now. Watching a clock. All we're doing is waiting for a timer to tick down.
    Grinding and timegates are the primary issues with 'Star Trek: Online". As I said within a previous thread, the combination of both mechanics have caused a problem. Players are doing repetitious actions, so they can fill buckets to trigger off timegates.

Neurogaming: What’s Neuroscience and Ethics Got To Do With It?
    (Listen to what Game Developer Johnathan Blow says about F2P/MMO games.)

"Free-to-Play" developers are not interested in engaging players with meaningful content. Instead of giving players an experience similar to 'sing-player rpgs', "Free-to-Play" developers make you 'buy' your rewards. "Star Trek: Online" does not have any meaningful endgame content, which will allow you to cognitively solve anything interesting. None.

...and, I think that is why I have stopped.

Reputation and Fleet gear are grinding tools. Once you hit level fifty, the meaningful part of the game ends. Regardless about what you buy, grind, unlock, or craft, the endgame items you obtain have no other specific function. "Star Trek: Online's" endgame is a very-very-very hollow experience.

Upon hitting the end of the level fifty missions, players do not:
    (1) save the world,
    (2) earn more ranks,
    (3) able to add more skills,
    (4) interact with NPCs in a modern rpg manner (BioWare/Obsidian Style),
    (5) negotiate for peace,
    (6) trigger off more wars,
    (7) etc...

Players are burning through money, so they can obtain items to obtain items to obtain items, etc...

Do you know what you get at the end?

Nothing.

While you burn through money to complete grinds, you never reach a meaningful and deep ending.

Players do not solve galactic issues.
    Players do not solve world hunger.
    Players do not influence wars.
    Players do not come up with diplomatic solutions.
    Players do not solve issues with diplomacy.
    Players do not solve language barrier issues.
    Players do not put together genetic puzzles, which unlock neat little philosophical debates.
    Players do not discover new species.
    Players do not learn about new cultures.
    Players do not play a role on a holodeck, so they can escape from being trapped.
    Etc...

Cryptic and 'F2P' developers are missing what is happening to single-player rpgs. As a result of using old school mechanics, Cryptic is missing the evoling nature of single-player games. "Skyrim", "Dragon Age", "SW: KOTOR", and "NWN" are superior games.

If they think "Star Trek: Online" and 'F2P' are going to last, Cryptic will be stuck within a world of intense denial.

Players are going to switch back to 'single-player' games, and there is nothing 'F2P' developers can do to stop the revolving door. Nothing.