test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My enthusiasm is dead. Here's why.

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
Everything is based around waiting now.

This is literally the biggest problem with the game right now. Doffing, Crafting, Queued missions, Reputation, Starbases, literally everything is based around waiting. Sure everyone complains about Grinding, but we aren't even grinding anymore! This is what Star Trek Online is now. Watching a clock. All we're doing is waiting for a timer to tick down.

Boffs have been forsaken.

Having your own unique crew to boss around and customize is one of the most interesting parts and largest selling points of this game. And it's also one of the least used. The last thing that let you use bridge officers was the Voth Battlezone. And that was released in Season 8. We have had an entire season and two mid season updates since then that had nothing for Bridge Officers.

The new Xindi officer is really cool, but I haven't bought him yet because there's no where I can use him. Not to mention he's the first bridge officer added since the Jem'Hadar officer from almost two years ago!!!

A focus on ships at the expense of everything else.

I admit I might be in the minority here, but I don't care about new ships. I have been using the same ship for three years now, and unless Cryptic adds the Arcadia to the game, I don't see myself changing any time soon. I want to buy other things. Is that such a strange request?

Everything with the potential to be interesting is in the Lobi store.

And often unfinished. With a few exceptions the lobi weapons are of not very good quality, with poor textures and models that clearly didn't have a lot of time put into them. Same with the costumes too. Why can't the KDF use the Ferengi jackets? Speaking of the Ferengi jackets, why can't Boffs use them? Oh yeah, because Cryptic hates boffs.

You can't fail anymore.

Believe it or not there was a time when this game was hard. Hard to believe I know, in fact, the only reason I believe it was because I was there. TRIBBLE up an STF once meant loosing what could have been an hour or more of play time. Not anymore! The Mirror event station will never be destroyed, the cargo ships will keep coming no matter how many are blown up, the entity will never run away, so on and so forth.

Ever since season six there has been a massive drop in overall skill and teamwork because you don't need it anymore. Keep wailing away, you'll finish eventually.

Everything feels the same.

It doesn't matter if I'm fighting the Voth, the Undine, the Gorn, the Mirror Universe or what not, they pretty much all use the same enemies, same attacks, same everything. You have little ships. Medium ships. Big ships. Big ships that launch little ships, and occasionally a really big ship. And they attack in that order until they die. No variation, no change in tactics, none. Same for ground too. You beat up the small stuff until the big stuff shows up and then you beat up the big stuff. There are no differences that really make any difference.

I really, really hope that E2 is worth it.
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My enthusiasm is dead.

Story of my life.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1

This, plus some more, is why I quit yesterday.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2014

I *yaaawn-zzzzz*
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This is literally the biggest problem with the game right now. Doffing, Crafting, Queued missions, Reputation, Starbases, literally everything is based around waiting. Sure everyone complains about Grinding, but we aren't even grinding anymore! This is what Star Trek Online is now. Watching a clock. All we're doing is waiting for a timer to tick down.
    Mostly true for most end-game content, although the adventure/battle zones don't require waiting (but if you finish the missions there, then there is indeed a cooldown timer for them).
    The new Xindi officer is really cool, but I haven't bought him yet because there's no where I can use him. Not to mention he's the first bridge officer added since the Jem'Hadar officer from almost two years ago!!!

Nelan Exil.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If my friends list is any indication, this game is bleeding. It's gotten to the point where long-time voices of reason are just giving up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree with everything you said op. You brought back old memories lol I can remember waiting for saterday night to do an stf with my fleet/friends you remember when they lasted three plus hours and you better not fail it lol.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    My enthusiasm is dead.

I share your feelings.

Not to knock Cryptic too badly, but I could not wait to play 4 hours a night a year ago. I'd stay up late, miss social events just to stay and play.

Today not so much. I was going to spend a few dollars on the crafting, but this week has made me think twice before paying $$$ again.

Some things have been fun this year. The new BZ's were neat for a while. The new missions - way cool.

I am optimistic about X2.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Indeed. Fleets that once housed hundreds of people are now down to just a handful, once extremely active chat channels are quiet, and now the staunchest of STO supporters are now losing giving up.

If I was in-charge of STO, I'd be actually worried. (Looking at you Rivera, DeAngelo).

Expansion 2 is going to be a their make or break moment.
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Summary: some good points made but I don't agree with everything.

doffing/crafting: I feel more like an admiral this way. Telling my doffs to do their work and then while I'm at my RL job, they are playing sto for me. Come home from work and there's sto progress waiting for me even when I don't have tons of time to play anymore.

boffs: what about all the uniform options now available to them? "customize" indeed :P

Focus on ships: yeah i'm not huge on getting every new ship either but it puts something in the z-store to keep the lights on at cryptic.

lobi mania: Once again, check out boff uniforms. You might be surprised to see what all they can wear now.

noob-proof content: I kind of appreciate this when i do pugs (i need more friends on my friend list to do missions with i think). But when I'm speed rushing missions with the peps from the dps channel, I feel the same as you.

nothing unique: fight, fight, fight, boss fight. Yeah if they could mix things up a bit more and incorporate tactics better and throw in a surprise or two, that would improve the content.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    Indeed. Fleets that once housed hundreds of people are now down to just a handful, once extremely active chat channels are quiet, and now the staunchest of STO supporters are now losing giving up.

If I was in-charge of STO, I'd be actually worried. (Looking at you Rivera, DeAngelo).

They are the ones to finish it off. Based on the amount of lockbox ships they have sold the last couple of seasons they should worry. They exhausted the will and wallets of their most devoted fans with limitless grinds and cash grabs.

Utter fail!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014

Having your own unique crew to boss around and customize is one of the most interesting parts and largest selling points of this game. And it's also one of the least used. The last thing that let you use bridge officers was the Voth Battlezone. And that was released in Season 8. We have had an entire season and two mid season updates since then that had nothing for Bridge Officers.

Correction, he's the first space trait boff they've released since God knows when. Ship crews have become monotonous because there are only a small set of boffs anyone would bother with since most of this game's fun is space combat. They have been told countless times that they need to give the other boffs some kind of space trait each in order for people to have a more varied crew, but they keep ignoring the suggestion over and over.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    If my friends list is any indication, this game is bleeding. It's gotten to the point where long-time voices of reason are just giving up.

Yeah...I think of myself as a somewhat decent supporter, I mean I spend some RL money here and there and I usually in Cryptic's corner...but more and more it just gets harder and harder.

I know I got pretty damn angry after 9.5...but I don't know...it's kinda hard to stay away as stupid as that sounds. I may take long breaks but I come back...if this game wasn't based on Trek I would of gone and never came back...but I love Trek to much. I grew up with it...it's one of the few memories I have of my full family...

But yeah...as time goes on it does get harder and harder to come back from, they just neglect everything in the name of money...including 2 out of 3 of the factions :mad:
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2014

I agree with that too. My interest for STO has gone to a couple of few minute log-ins, and watching the world burn in forums. The next time I play STO could easily wait till the expansion, where I could either play STO again, or just pop in and out.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    cincyman39 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said op. You brought back old memories lol I can remember waiting for saterday night to do an stf with my fleet/friends you remember when they lasted three plus hours and you better not fail it lol.

I was just thinking about this today.. they need to bring back Queued content that has both a space and ground portion in the same mission. I don't completely fault them for removing the ground portions of SB24 and the other fleet actions--they were confusing for newbs because they were optionals--but they could have just made them part of the overall mission flow. Instead of having an optional beam-down, make it a mandatory beam-down so nobody gets lost on the way. I do fault them for not bringing that content back though (especially the DS9 Under Siege fleet action). And I'll never forgive them for killing off the old Gorn Minefield that was swarming with hundreds of enemies. That map was glorious chaos.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This.

When X2 rolls around, being the much-hyped hope for the future, it will tell me whether the game is going up or down. It's where all the development time and money is going, so there will be no better indicator.

At its release I will also re-evaluate the 5/10 rating I gave STO in my farewell video yesterday, and depending on whether it goes up or down, will determine if I bother to come back.
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My enthusiasm is tied to my hopes for this game's future - and they're reaching an all time low with 9.5.

I used to believe that Cryptic actually cared about the playerbase, that they worked to foster a community that benefited both the player and their wallets. But that was when Branflakes was still here. The 'old guard' on this forum is wavering, and that bothers me. However, the fact that Cryptic is intentionally shunning and ignoring the problems they've caused bothers me even more.

I used to see potential in this game. Potential for greatness in exploration, diplomacy, combat - you name it! I fear that potential has been squandered.

Also, in before trigger happy volunteers shut this down for being an 'I quit' thread, or at least move it to some hidden recess of the forums so the impressionable newbies won't get 'confused' (read: enlightened) by it.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    schnirselschnirsel Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    When X2 rolls around

?
    X2 already exists since 10 years?
    ?

And it was a much better space game than this pseudo arcade shooter.
    6pvmjHk.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    schnirsel wrote: »
    ?
    X2 already exists since 10 years?
    ?

And it was a much better space game than this pseudo arcade shooter.

Expansion 2. These terms roll around on the forums...
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I admit I might be in the minority here, but I don't care about new ships. I have been using the same ship for three years now, and unless Cryptic adds the Arcadia to the game, I don't see myself changing any time soon. I want to buy other things. Is that such a strange request?

And often unfinished. With a few exceptions the lobi weapons are of not very good quality, with poor textures and models that clearly didn't have a lot of time put into them. Same with the costumes too. Why can't the KDF use the Ferengi jackets? Speaking of the Ferengi jackets, why can't Boffs use them? Oh yeah, because Cryptic hates boffs.

You can't fail anymore.

Believe it or not there was a time when this game was hard. Hard to believe I know, in fact, the only reason I believe it was because I was there. TRIBBLE up an STF once meant loosing what could have been an hour or more of play time. Not anymore! The Mirror event station will never be destroyed, the cargo ships will keep coming no matter how many are blown up, the entity will never run away, so on and so forth.

Ever since season six there has been a massive drop in overall skill and teamwork because you don't need it anymore. Keep wailing away, you'll finish eventually.

Everything feels the same.

It doesn't matter if I'm fighting the Voth, the Undine, the Gorn, the Mirror Universe or what not, they pretty much all use the same enemies, same attacks, same everything. You have little ships. Medium ships. Big ships. Big ships that launch little ships, and occasionally a really big ship. And they attack in that order until they die. No variation, no change in tactics, none. Same for ground too. You beat up the small stuff until the big stuff shows up and then you beat up the big stuff. There are no differences that really make any difference.

I really, really hope that E2 is worth it.

This is why I destroyed good friendships that had formed over the past 2 years and I'm now labelled as a thief, I snapped and decided to RP as a pirate huehuehue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1
    I could add plenty of things that I see disappeared, etc but ya no difficulties, no long time playing (ex raids in other mmo's)
    + cryptic making really bad moves make me think of the future.

I tend to be optimistic but for me since Legacy of Romulus the latest season were not great at all.

that's why I open my guild to other mmo's and play with pple and guildmate in other game, waiting ....
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You know it's all really sad. We all have such high hopes for the game and the game never lives up to them. Perhaps as Trek fans we expect too much. The game is like life - you get tired of doing the same thing over and over, and sometimes you need to move on or take a break.

Usually it's the relationships with others that keep us invested in something long past the time we would have walked away - be it family or marriage or the local sports club. Many of us after a point, we only come back for the friends, after that we only come back for the memories.

I still hold out hope for the future.

I started this game a long time ago - the first fleet I joined not long after hitting max cap - 5 of us went into a KSE - we spent 2 hours before we finally killed Donatra. We had so many injuries that our weapons were useless and we had to ram her. It was the times when she would decloak and insta-boom you - I laughed so hard that I was crying for most of the mission and could not see the screen. After 1 hour I could barely feel my fingers. It was the best 2 hours out of 5000 that I ever had in this game. Those guys are all gone now - but I still have the memory. So thank you STO for that.
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Totally agree! This is the exact same way I've been feeling and exactly how I play now. Well done putting the thoughts together in a coherent way.

It's actually done wonders for RL, I can mostly ignore STO except for moving a few sliders, check the Exchange a bit, spin a few ships, turn in a few doff missions. No real reason to log in - they clearly don't give a damn about developing the story in any meaningful way.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The waiting thing...was a trip yesterday. I mean, those Uncommon components are just a 15s wait...but I swear that 15s turned into 30s, 60s, 90s...that I dozed off waiting on that 15s after seeing it so many times. I decided I'd rather wait for over a hundred days as long as I didn't have to sit there waiting in all those 15s chunks that went on for days.

Hell, it's the way the game has been going - I've gotten the majority of my posts while logged into the game...cause I'm always waiting - waiting - waiting. Waiting on a queue, waiting on a project...DOFF, Rep, Fleet, and now R&D.

It's one of the reasons that I used to enjoy going to Ker'rat so much - cause there wasn't the wait, it was action - wheeeeeee! But it started feeling like a waste of time - twisted, eh? - that I was doing something instead of waiting on something. So much to wait on - need to hurry up and wait...got to get back to waiting so I can get somewhere! Meh...
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    All the waiting is what gets me to play and spend money on other games.

Genius. ;)
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This is literally the biggest problem with the game ... literally everything is based around waiting.

PWE thinks we should have to WORK for video game stuff. Seriously...a game should provide escape from work, not add to it.

Indeed.

Yup, it's like they ONLY care about developing the most expensive items they have into oblivion. It has gotten ridiculous.

I admit I might be in the minority here, but I don't care about new ships. I have been using the same ship for three years now,
    Lately I've been in my JHDC Phallus running queues and such, but my standby is still my old Armatiage (sp?). I still jump in my NX from time to time because it's really a great ship.

I only have a few Lobi items, like the Tholian sword. Thing is I've noticed that the Borg can adapt to it now so I just use my old blue light saber for kicks.

You can't fail anymore.

NOT TRUE. I have failed a number of instances. And sometimes I still get the penalty for leaving the map before it kicks me out. This bug was never fixed. I wouldn't know that if I hadn't FAILED.

I've noticed this. Shoot it until it dies. This game is combat based, yet Star Trek never was. There were moments of combat, yes. But it isn't Rambo's universe. This game apparently is.

Everything feels the same. No variation, no change in tactics, none.

Variety means nothing to PWE. They use the phrase, "repeatable content." Think about that one for a sec.

/tencharacters
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    All the waiting is what gets me to play and spend money on other games.

Genius. ;)

This.

I log in to sto, setup doffs (albeit harder now since the UI fail) and then go play GW2.

So that is 10 minutes in sto, 3+ hours in GW2. Guess where I spend my money now?

98% of my friends that I made from the beginning, no longer play since season 7 and just after LOR.

My Fleet that had hundreds of players spread across 2 Fed and 2 KDF bases, now maybe has 10 online, sometimes under 5...

I don't think expansion 2 will have the desired effect of resurrecting sto, so long as Cryptic continue to be the way they have been over the last year or so...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can't fail anymore.

One of the biggest flaws of the game in my opinion. If it's impossible to fail winning means nothing. And with all the power creep going on even STFs have become impossible to fail.
  • Options
    mazzmanonemazzmanone Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cincyman39 wrote: »

I must say, keeping a fleet together is so hard now, when there was the hr events, "ok fleet mark event is this time, see you guys there" and we would run around and get fleet marks. just one thing of lots that’s I’m seeing, then let’s get in to the farming, me and the fleet would do farming mission of our own, well now, the drops have gotten so bad, and lowering the price of what the drops are at a store to sell back for EC, that it has become almost impossible to farm for EC. so what ever happen to the every weekend event that they took the hr one for? only 2 the least 3 months?

so now what we do is log in, see if there is anything new to do, do our doff missions and then just set there and talk on teamspeak about how it once was, when is it going to change to have something to work for, to have fun with the fleet again, friends again?

Mazzmanone
    EDM fleet leader