test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New crafting system is PWE scam

13»

Comments

• rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I, for one, welcome our new lockbox overlords.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    Run ESTFs, I've gotten a few from that and I haven't even been doing many lately. WHile it is a big cash grab, there are plenty of ways to get mats, you just have to leave ESD.

But I it's dangerous out there.... there are people with guns and warships... and proper ones, not toy ones!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Research and Development:
    Resolved an issue which was allowing players to run multiple Research Training projects from the same school simultaneously.
    Only 1 Research Training project can be run at a time per school.

The scam becomes an impossible dream for casual players.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The scam becomes an impossible dream for casual players.

The issue was that it made getting to 15 reasonable. It's just too brutal without multiples.
    Definitely moving to the back burner for me. I'll click my 20 hour in the mornings and forget about it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Been gone for several months and just saw the crafting system when I logged in today. Before the patch was I maxed level crafting, and no it seems I'm back at level 0 all across the board.

For those of us that were at max before this update, did we get anything for it? As far as I can tell, the answer is no. Am I lookin in the wrong spot or was this just insanely poor design?
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    aeonjean wrote: »
    Been gone for several months and just saw the crafting system when I logged in today. Before the patch was I maxed level crafting, and no it seems I'm back at level 0 all across the board.

For those of us that were at max before this update, did we get anything for it? As far as I can tell, the answer is no. Am I lookin in the wrong spot or was this just insanely poor design?
    A title. In fact, 2 titles if you maxed it out. Other than that, I don't think so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I did get an R&D genius title, but that seems like...well a very poor trade.
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    *ahahaahaah* oh wait you're serious... Erm anyways... random results is a normal feature fo crafting in well, pretty much every game I've ever seen that had it. In Diablo 2, not only did you need to worry about wether it would be junk gear, bu you never even knew whether you would be able to use the gear you made.

So your argument is: "I don't know any better,so it must be good...."

Did you smash your head against a brick wall for 10 minutes before you came up with this answer,or does this come naturally?
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    aeonjean wrote: »
    I did get an R&D genius title, but that seems like...well a very poor trade.
    You also get a special blue doff(a Ferengi with resolve). It's inside the tutorial box.
    So your argument is: "I don't know any better,so it must be good...."
    Well, it sounds to me like your argument is "I wish it was easier therefore it sucks." Game companies rarely make crafting systems easy. The gear is supposed to take work to obtain. That's the point behind the requirements.

But, just for the sake of argument... give me an example of a game that did crafting in a way you liked, and then explain why you think it was better than STO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This wasn't directed at me, but I'll gladly answer:

Almost ANY other MMO's crafting system is better than this one. The random aspect in those systems typically centers around regular success and critical success, the stats of both being knowable. In this system there is no way to know what mod the result is going to have, so there is far more potential for waste in both time and materials. I prefer a system where I know what I am getting.

Complexity in a crafting system can come in the form of Star Wars Galaxies' system, where the stats of the materials determined the quality of the end product, and where every month the resources changed resulting in different stats. It became an element of exploration to seek out the best possible resources to be able to produce the best possible quality products. Dedicated crafters in that game traveled the galaxy as much as any combat-oriented player. The thing that made that system so viable was the fact that gear was subject to decay and eventual breakage, thus ensuring that there was always supply and demand at all ranges of progression. At least until SOE dumped the NGE on us which rendered the crafting aspect almost useless, as looted gear tended to be better than anything a player could craft, and it stayed that way for a LONG time, before SOE finally decided to make crafting half-way useful again. But the elimination of item decay resulted in inflation the likes of which had never been seen before, and it NEVER stabilized.

I have been a crafter in every MMO I have played... except for this one.
    Yeah... STO doesn't do item decay, thus your main reason for liking that system is out the door from the start. Your other stated reasons... well, one of them is kinda half way there with how the best crafting mats are obtained from a wide array of things, the other is there already. Random junk obtained from enemies isn't as good as the best things you can craft.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg