Install Arc
Options

New crafting system is PWE scam

Comments

• Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Now, I don't think this system was in any state to release, but I can't agree with you.

Thing is, running an ESTF or CCE is a perfectly acceptable (and free) way to get these materials.

There are plenty of valid thing to criticise about 9.5, but this isnt one of them.

Hmm, i suposse you talking about the other thing i said, because this has nothing to do with your quote.

Anyways, you are really wrong. STFS are OPTIONAL and they are just part of the game, and for that, you should be able to gather purple materials elsewhere. You telling me that purple materials only "grow" on stfs maps?? xd, thats stupid even to think of. We are talking about a crafting system, not about a reward for completing a STF. And yo must be one of the only few people that thinks the new crafting system is flawless. This fail about purple materials is a proof of another big fail. As always.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thankfully there are none

Ok, then thanks cryptic for another revamp that makes the revamped stuff worst than before xd.
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ok, then thanks cryptic for another revamp that makes the revamped stuff worst than before xd.

You cannot top how bad the old system was. And purple mats from STFs make sense, you are basically recieving materials for further research, better qaulity is issued for completing harder missions.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hmm, i suposse you talking about the other thing i said, because this has nothing to do with your quote.

Anyways, you are really wrong. STFS are OPTIONAL and they are just part of the game, and for that, you should be able to gather purple materials elsewhere.

At endgame, everything is optional. Fleet gear, reputation gear, all these things can only be obtained by engaging with the relevant subsystem.

It is an absurd position to demand access to the fruits of those systems without engaging with them.

In this sense, the new crafting system is no different.

Want stuff from the crafting system? Do the things associated with gaining the materials to do so.

And yo must be one of the only few people that thinks the new crafting system is flawless.

Seriously, ad hominem? Now thats sad.....and so, so, so wrong.

It's probably fair to say that I'm not known on these fora as being universally happy with cryptic.

Oh, and that was British understatement, btw.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What stf do you need to run to get the items to make something ?

The crafting system is confusing.

I have 30k in zen and a half million dilithium but I can't gamble on gamble boxes due to cultural reasons.

Is there a way to earn this stuff normally?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    What stf do you need to run to get the items to make something ?

The crafting system is confusing.

I have 30k in zen and a half million dilithium but I can't gamble on gamble boxes due to cultural reasons.

Is there a way to earn this stuff normally?

The VR materials drop from Elite STFs, all other materials drop from normal PvE queues. If you dont want to gamble, wait until you are level 20 in a school, grab yourself 2 of the best catylsts, and VR dOFF, and you have yourself a 100% chance
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    At endgame, everything is optional. Fleet gear, reputation gear, all these things can only be obtained by engaging with the relevant subsystem.

It is an absurd position to demand access to the fruits of those systems without engaging with them.

In this sense, the new crafting system is no different.

Want stuff from the crafting system? Do the things associated with gaining the materials to do so.

Seriously, ad hominem? Now thats sad.....and so, so, so wrong.

It's probably fair to say that I'm not known on these fora as being universally happy with cryptic.

Oh, and that was British understatement, btw.

You obviously dont have a clue what a crafting system is, but its oke. This is the reason this game is worst day by day, because there will be always people that are ok, even if the new stuff released is still dumb.

BTW, i honestly never thought on crafting, im just being reasonable. Limiting purple mat to stfs is at least, wrong. Maybe i am too used to see wrong things made by cryptic, and i am not thinking straight anymore, but honestly, it is a clear money greedy tactic (again) to make people buy packs from the c-store. A lot of people will not play stfs just to get purple materials (and they are not going to get em anyways unless they are really lucky), so the only way they have will be to buy em on the c-store.
    I am just really ashamed that some of you cant see this. But its really obvious.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The VR materials drop from Elite STFs, all other materials drop from normal PvE queues. If you dont want to gamble, wait until you are level 20 in a school, grab yourself 2 of the best catylsts, and VR dOFF, and you have yourself a 100% chance

So the vr materials drop randomly in elite stf's? Not tied to a specific stf? I remember reading that it was to only specific stf's but I cannot find documentation on which ones.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So the vr materials drop randomly in elite stf's? Not tied to a specific stf? I remember reading that it was to only specific stf's but I cannot find documentation on which ones.

Borg STFs drop Trellium-K
    CCE drops Radiogenic Particles (i think)
    Undine Elites drop Durantium (starts with a D at least :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I know that. And thats precisely what im doing since the day 1, just leveling the schools. But as i said, i dont care about the materials, i do stfs if i need to (but i wont since i hate most of em) i care about the really greedy tactic cryptic is using and i am amazed that some players cant see it is a clear fail again that makes the crafting system another grinding with just a couple of ways out.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thank you.

Where is this documented? Not in the blogs that I have read.
    Most of the non-infected stf's are empty so there is no way of getting anything that require non-Borg stf materials.
    Oh well. Maybe the 4rth incarnation of this system will be better.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    A lot of people will not play stfs just to get purple materials (and they are not going to get em anyways unless they are really lucky), so the only way they have will be to buy em on the c-store.
    I am just really ashamed that some of you cant see this. But its really obvious.

A lot of people want fleet gear, which requires fleet credit.

If we follow your logic, thats wrong beause some people wont want to do the things necessary to generate fleet credit.

Should we just open the whole system up to accomodate those people?

After all, if they don't want to do those fleet actions, the only way to get FC is to buy zen, convert it to dilithium and donate that.

Isn't that a cash grab too?

Or is it perfectly reasonable to tie getting things in game to, you know, actually playing the game?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I know that. And thats precisely what im doing since the day 1, just leveling the schools. But as i said, i dont care about the materials, i do stfs if i need to (but i wont since i hate most of em) i care about the really greedy tactic cryptic is using and i am amazed that some players cant see it is a clear fail again that makes the crafting system another grinding with just a couple of ways out.

LOL, "greedy" because it takes a couple stacks of common materials, 66 days, and 7 characters to have all schools to LVL 20, "greedy" because they added VR crafting materials to queues most people already do. "Greedy" because instead of still leaving it to chance they made it so a LvL 20 with a Purple DOFF has a 100% chance of critting the dil components Therefore CUTTING THE COST IN DIL TO 1/3
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thank you.

Most of the non-infected stf's are empty so there is no way of getting anything that require non-Borg stf materials.

Its not well documented, they were supposed to add it to the description of each queue....but that got added along with the Fleet Mobulai frigates :D

I can actually get Infiltration and CCE to pop within 5 minutes most days, its not that bad.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thank you.

The documentation has been absolutely appalling.

One of my bigger criticisms of 9.5 has been the woeful PR and CR work done on it.

This is supposed to be a major overhaul of a system with the potential to seriously modify the entire game economy.

Sadly, it appears everyone at PWE/Cryptic was just too busy getting ready for STLV to actually publish some blogs.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    LOL, "greedy" because it takes a couple stacks of common materials, 66 days, and 7 characters to have all schools to LVL 20, "greedy" because they added VR crafting materials to queues most people already do. "Greedy" because instead of still leaving it to chance they made it so a LvL 20 with a Purple DOFF has a 100% chance of critting the dil components Therefore CUTTING THE COST IN DIL TO 1/3

No dude. Greedy because as i said, they force you to choose between stfs, or the c-store. There is no more options. Oh well, the exchange of course. You know A LOT of people will now buy c-store packs to get fancy purple materials, right?? didnt you learn anything about STO in these 4 years? ..... first, learn what "greedy" means..
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited July 2014
    No its not a scam but its a FaaaaaaKe !!!! :D
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't forget none of this stuff is bound in any way. You're free to acquire and sell any of it at your leisure, if new crafting isn't agreeable with your stomach.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you throw money at the game, you're an idiot (mainly because you're cheating yourself of any sense of accomplishment and immersion in the game). Cryptic will thank you, but that's not how they built the game for the average player.

They built the game expecting that as an average player you'll play it through properly and build up your progression and resources most of the time, like you would do in a subscription MMO, because it feels better to do it that way, gives you more of a sense of accomplishment; but they expect you to occasionally break down (like when you're close to completing something) and buy something.

The game kind of works pretty well that way, and you end up basically paying about the same as you would have done if you'd been paying a subscription all along.

That way, everyone is accommodated. Hardcore players who refuse to pay for anything can have the whole thing in exchange for their time only, average players will mostly put in the time but occasionally break down and buy stuff, idiots will throw money at the game.

Everyone is happy!
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Time is dil and I've got plenty of both to waste.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014

You can get the basic crafting materials the same old ways as before minus the now missing loot zones:

- DO missions, many of them reward direct crafting materials.
    - buy off exchange
    - space and ground PVE content still contain the mini-game to get materials. This is more frequent in lower level missions but you can replay them.
    - newly added crates to fleet alert, stfs, and various PVE content.
    - you can pay 1000 dil to the DO personnel officer for a crate of mats.

and that is just to name a few sources.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    drasym wrote: »
    Basic math will show you the BEST way to get a lobi ship is to sell those keys on the market and buy the ship you want. Opening boxes is gambling, pure and simple. IF you play the lotto, buy a stack of cards and don't win do you feel cheated? NEVER understood this attitude. Cryptic keeps tossing lockboxes at the game because people keep buying keys. Don't like it? DON"T DO IT!!

JUST DON"T

NO.

STOP

(ya i know.. they will keep doing it and keep complaining about it--- just don't understand them... wanders off muttering)

And you missed the whole point of my post and focused on the one phrase: "when I open lock boxes,I feel cheated." Not sure if this is an attempt at trolling....

Yes,the lock boxes are gambling,but so it this damn 'new crafting'....like with the boxes,there is no guarantee what you get,except for the fact that you will get 'something'.Small chance it's something good,more than average chance it's utter TRIBBLE.

(To all the PWE/Cryptic idiots and fanboys out there.....I know PWE is a Chinese company,and that gambling is big in China....but I'm not Chinese!Stop pretending that I am!)
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And you missed the whole point of my post and focused on the one phrase: "when I open lock boxes,I feel cheated." Not sure if this is an attempt at trolling....

Yes,the lock boxes are gambling,but so it this damn 'new crafting'....like with the boxes,there is no guarantee what you get,except for the fact that you will get 'something'.Small chance it's something good,more than average chance it's utter TRIBBLE.

(To all the PWE/Cryptic idiots and fanboys out there.....I know PWE is a Chinese company,and that gambling is big in China....but I'm not Chinese!Stop pretending that I am!)
    *ahahaahaah* oh wait you're serious... Erm anyways... random results is a normal feature fo crafting in well, pretty much every game I've ever seen that had it. In Diablo 2, not only did you need to worry about wether it would be junk gear, bu you never even knew whether you would be able to use the gear you made.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So what do you think is paying for the costs of F2P ??? Keep in mind that if STO doesn't make money, it will cease to exist. Do you really want to see the end of STO ???

At this point, if it means that a better team and a better company get to create an MMO with the ST IP, one that actually stays true to said IP, sure!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Actually, Yes, I do want to see the end of it. Every new major update takes the game further and further from being true to the IP upon which it is based, and they ram changes that nobody in the community has asked for down the community's throat. It's like having a mini-NGE once or twice every year.

So cryptic is bowing down to you in fawning servitude. What of it?

They're the devs, they have an objective responsibility to build the best functioning game they can. That doesn't mean taking every suggestion made here, on a forum (if this doesn't sound any warning bells for you then you need to spend more time on the internet, or perhaps less), at face value and incorporating into the game because what people provide as feedback doesn't represent objective commentary. Its made to satisfy a particular agenda, deal with parts of the game that run counter to personal interests, and though you may hope that those two things coincide that's a VERY big assumption.

Playable mission-oriented content. The one thing they refuse to monetize is the one part of this game that even remotely attempts to pretend to uphold the Star Trek IP. And because it is not monetized, it is not profitable. And because it is not profitable, it is not prioritized. And because it is not prioritized, it is not produced, except to throw the community a bone once or twice a year.

Also, between the last expansion and the various added FE's and revamps there is absolutely nothing to be said about a lack of story content. That content, by the way, respects the Star Trek IP a hell of a lot more than the early material this game shipped with and, incidentally, better than most of the ST games, novels, and particularly more than the recent movies. Its higher quality, its more in depth, and it successfully integrates existing factions in new and more interesting ways than you might expect out of mere fan service (ex. K'mtar's plot being taken seriously, the Elachi, the Romulan Republic).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    meridian113meridian113 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gojored wrote: »
    like lowli1 said, run estf's. have patience, dont try to compete with the folks who keep throwing money at the game, i used to be one of those until i realized what a horrible waste that is.
    That said, i have in two-three days off and on play gotten 4 very rare materials, playing estf's. its a time consuming process, it takes lots of material and time to build the school trees as well, just have fun with it, you'll find lots of good things happen that way!
    Play hard, Play well, have fun!:)

Did not set foot on new ESD
    Running ESTF's every day 10-15 a day and still get TRIBBLE.
    This crafting made people leave Neverwinter and it will make people leave STO fast.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Did not set foot on new ESD
    Running ESTF's every day 10-15 a day and still get TRIBBLE.
    This crafting made people leave Neverwinter and it will make people leave STO fast.
    I'm pretty sure Neverwinter has worse problems....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gojored wrote: »
    like lowli1 said, run estf's. have patience

The new system of "play ESTFs and you might get a shiney" is somewhat reminiscent of another system whereby you had to play ESTFs in order to get a chance of unlocking a shiney.

Anyone remember what happened to that system?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif