test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Hosting a ping server at pingserver.net

I am not sure where to put this, as it doesn't fit under any specific category (which probably means I shouldn't talk about it) but, here it is. I and lots of others, use pingtest.net to test my line quality. I was wondering if STO would consider hosting a ping server on or near their game servers. This would allow people to test on pingtest.net how reliable their connection to the game server would be. I don't know specifics, as I haven't hosted one before, but its just a thought. This would add an extra helping hand to those struggling with connectivity issues.

Just an Idea to possibly think about

Cheers,
arkangel11004
Post edited by arkangel11004 on

Comments

• Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure it works like that, I'm fairly certain that the servers pingtest and other web based testers (all of which are wildly inaccurate) use to ping are not servers specifically for pinging but they simply ping the addresses of ISP server hubs at those locations. PWE isn't an ISP nor is it a hub. The best you could probably do is to get pingtest to add the nearest ISP server hub near to PWE.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am not sure where to put this, as it doesn't fit under any specific category (which probably means I shouldn't talk about it) but, here it is. I and lots of others, use pingtest.net to test my line quality. I was wondering if STO would consider hosting a ping server on or near their game servers. This would allow people to test on pingtest.net how reliable their connection to the game server would be. I don't know specifics, as I haven't hosted one before, but its just a thought. This would add an extra helping hand to those struggling with connectivity issues.

Cryptic already offers their 'Net Test' network diagnostic utility... See this thread for info on where to get it... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

... as it actually uses the TCP/IP protocol used to connect to the STO servers, not the ICMP/IP protocol that 'Ping' uses...
  • Options
    arkangel11004arkangel11004 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ah, Thanks for the tip. There seems to be testing solutions already in place.

>>End Thread<<