test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RE: Duty Officer UI

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We've heard you guys and we do have our UI artist and programmer working on adding filtering and sorting options back in to the new UI at the soonest possible patch. We've also drastically improved the recommendation sorting algorithm - it will always give you the best chance for a critical success that your available Duty Officers can provide. While this is not enough for those who wish to send specific sets of Duty Officers on specific missions, it does mean that many missions can now be "fire and forget", rather than requiring any additional clicks at all to select officers.

there might be some people you just made happy with this post hawk!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    We've heard you guys and we do have our UI artist and programmer working on adding filtering and sorting options back in to the new UI at the soonest possible patch. We've also drastically improved the recommendation sorting algorithm - it will always give you the best chance for a critical success that your available Duty Officers can provide. While this is not enough for those who wish to send specific sets of Duty Officers on specific missions, it does mean that many missions can now be "fire and forget", rather than requiring any additional clicks at all to select officers.

Thank you for this information, however you need to walk a fine line here. I don't like the dumbing down of the DOff system. The idea was to induce thought and create interest. If any one can play it by double clicking as fast a possible... then it's not interesting anymore.

there might be some people you just made happy with this post hawk!

I have to agree. However they should have said this much sooner than the day before launch. I don't know why they would beat themselves over the head with a bat when everyone who's been on tribble has wanted to vomit and what they've seen.
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thank you. A definitive response that some might consider a bit tardy is 99% better than no response at all, which means it's only about 1% less than ideal. I'll take that anytime. :D
  • thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey Devs, thanks for completely ruining DOFFing! There was absolutely no need to change the user interface, none at all. And the only thing worse than what you have done to the UI is the fact that you have completely ignored all the feedback about it in the Tribble forum.

DEVS LOOK HERE! ---> http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1147711

EDIT:

Adding in the quote Hawk did -

I've been here since beta
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Hmm, pretty unexpected response. Did you draw the shortest straw in the office? :P

So sorting and filtering will hopefully come soon, great. Now is there a chance of making the UI more compact and taking less space on a 1366/768 screen?

I was glad the UI now responds better to doubleclicks, that's good. Is there a chance of better showing traits needed for crit/success/failure/crit failure for individual doff slots? Currently only the first trait is shown for each, and while crit traits are highlighted in the doff list, success traits aren't.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    Hey Devs, thanks for completely ruining DOFFing! There was absolutely no need to change the user interface, none at all. And the only thing worse than what you have done to the UI is the fact that you have completely ignored all the feedback about it in the Tribble forum.

DEVS LOOK HERE! ---> http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1147711

They added filters or will add them in a future patch. But they still ruined the layout. Cryptic is on fire recently with one bad move after another.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I apologize, did not see this. It would have been nice if they had put an acknowledgement in the existing thread in the Tribble forum rather than ignoring us there for days. This also only resolves one of many serious issues not to mention that it makes no sense to launch this broken UI tomorrow.

I've been here since beta
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Hawk I think you do great work. You are one of the few developers I respect and I understand you are not in charge so I hope you realize when my feedback gets ranty it is not directed at your personally nor your work. But this should not go live. It is not ready. An addition and change of this scale cannot go from alpha to release this quickly nor with this little polish. (yes I know it was not an alpha but a beta)

Can we expect the same, um, high quality and rapid fixes like we have seen to the loadout system? you know the system that duped tons of reputation items still filling my bank that I am hesitant to do anything with lest they all disappear or worse? The system that wipes out my traits, and power tray from time to time? And hey for all I know those bugs are fixed but I stopped using that system because of those bugs. Well that and since it doesn't allow me to hot swap my boff abilities on my expensive boffs it has little use for me but I digress.

I understand, nothing is finished or 100% polished at release or nothing would get released. But when core mechanics are created and/or revamped in STO they tend to be of the quality of an Early Access steam game. And they tend to have roughly the same odds of ever becoming true release quality. It's getting old.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I apologize, did not see this. It would have been nice if they had put an acknowledgement in the existing thread in the Tribble forum rather than ignoring us there for days. This also only resolves one of many serious issues not to mention that it makes no sense to launch this broken UI tomorrow.

Resolves it, someday. Not on release. Coming Soon.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014

While that's good to hear, is there any possibility of allowing the doffing UI to be selectable? Basically, a selection in the Options menu to allow us to use the "classic" UI until the new one achieves full functionality?

[EDIT] The basis for this request is that initial Tribble builds of the doffing UI changes actually used the new format in Assignments, Department Heads, and so on yet retained the "classic" UI under In Progress; both UI's existed side-by-side. Further, the actual underlying mechanics are not changing (according to Patch Notes), just the manner in which we access those mechanics. This gives some hope that it could be possible to use the more efficient "classic" UI as opposed to the prettier new UI, without necessarily precluding either.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New Doff UI is Garbage!

Yes... and...? :confused: Did you expect it to improve? ;)
    We've heard you guys and we do have our UI artist and programmer working on adding filtering and sorting options back in to the new UI at the soonest possible patch.

The FACT that someone thought that we didn't NEED a filter and sort option is a serious issue. The current Doff window is horrible since there's no easy way to know what doffs you have and you go and take out the basic insufficient filter there was there?!?!? Unbelievable.

It's a G-damn computer!! Sorting and Filtering is A MAIN THING IT CAN DO!!! :rolleyes: How about some export to Excel button since sorting and filtering data is something you can't do?
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We've heard you guys and we do have our UI artist and programmer working on adding filtering and sorting options back in to the new UI at the soonest possible patch.

The FACT that someone thought that we didn't NEED a filter and sort option is a serious issue. The current Doff window is horrible since there's no easy way to know what doffs you have and you go and take out the basic insufficient filter there was there?!?!? Unbelievable.

It's a G-damn computer!! Sorting and Filtering is A MAIN THING IT CAN DO!!! :rolleyes:
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2014

While that's nice and all and I thank you for finally replying after nearly a month, that still doesn't make up for the fact that the new UI is complete junk:

http://i.imgur.com/PM8JfF7.png

This is a side by side I made, can you say with a straight face that is is any kind of improvement? The new buttons are RIDICULOUSLY ENORMOUS!!! On the old UI it's easy to get clean and detailed information on each assignment just by clicking it and you can still see all the other assignments listed and quickly select another. But for the 'new' UI you click on the assignment and you go directly to a new page! No detailed summary anymore, just a blocky cluster of buttons, meaningless pictures, 4-5 visible assignments without having to scroll, and fail! How does this improve the doff system? How will this attract new players to doffing? If anything this is going to stop and scare people from doffing all together.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014

All I care about is getting the OLD DOFF UI back.

It was easy to read, easy to understand, had all the information in one click, and I could choose whatever DOFF I want on a mission. If I want to send my Gorn Chef to sing in a Klingon Opera and not my KDF Entertainer, then as Captain I should have that right.

I'm sorry, but whomever redid the UI, I honestly don't think they understand anything about UI ergonomics.
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would much rather see the old DOFF UI return as its very functional. This one one is shinier but nowhere near as functional and way to over sized. Reduce how oversized current one is in addition to restoring all the old function would be wonderful.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How bout leaving it the F alone to begin with...but as usual cryptic ignored the test forum feedback...like they have for 4 straight years... golf clap doesn't encompass this anymore....tons of people said to not push this thing forward and here were are.....like always going wtf...and than tons of people blaming the testers for not providing good enough feedback....

I give up....appoligies if anything is misspelled or gramitically incorrect. I have to drink heavy amounts of ale to withstand cryptic policy and forum nonsense.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Indeed. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

And they broke it. :(
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Hallelujah!

Pretty much the FIRST feedback we've had relating to a LARGE part of the current game. Thanks a lot, man!

On a related note, at what time during the planning meetings did someone say "Lets reduce sorting options - no one uses them anyways" - and why? Why was reducing the functionality ever even discussed? Was it because pulldown menus don't translate well to portable devices? I really want to know...
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • cwrichesonzenocwrichesonzeno Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Hey, thanks, this is great!
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    On the topic of Old UI: Hands down I'd rather keep it and not get those auto-slotting doffs. Cause that's the only real 'change' (I just couldn't write upgrade) coming. The rest is only TRIBBLE up the UI.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We've also drastically improved the recommendation sorting algorithm - it will always give you the best chance for a critical success that your available Duty Officers can provide.

I sure hope so. The old Recommended algorithm was horrendously, massively WORTHLESS.

It keeps recommending me whites and greens with zero Success or Critical traits, and more often than not includes Failure and Disaster traits with it. Completely ignores my purples with multiple Critical traits.
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I wish they were fire and forget. I've ran assignments as late as the .a15 build (to check for the cluster accolade changes). And the DH recommendations are still a 'must not use', especially given how easy it is now to turn them off and on again.

Even if you turn them off and add the doffs manually. The choices start with doffs that have most crit and success trait combined, so you have to scroll down a bit to find the first doff that only has crit traits.
    But that isn't even the worst part. The worst part is that if by freak chance you have to fill a second assignment slot with almost the same traits (like that NEVER happens in ANY doff assignments), your previous to slot 1 assigned doff still shows up as a viable choice and if you happen to accidently choose him for slot 2 he simply switches and you have to fill slot 1 again. Imagine that on the good old 'Holodeck Performance of Hamlet' and the 27? doffs it requires and picture how that will get annoying fast.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    any chance the mouse wheel scrolling will be fixed/sped up for the ui? in old style doff ui it scrolls relatively fast, but the new one scrolls so slowly it takes me nearly a minute to get down to the bottom of the list.

also, i've been thinking. there's an option for compact ui in the options/basic. would it be possible to use that to compact up the doff ui, so the boxes are much smaller and take less vertical space at least? if anything, that'd make the scrolling less painful since there'd be less space to scroll through.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited July 2014

It's a G-damn computer!! Sorting and Filtering is A MAIN THING IT CAN DO!!! :rolleyes:

This is what made me shake my head. After the tendency of the previous UI to, um, get the priorities 'wrong' on doff mission assignments, the idea of taking these options away, as the respondent above said, is just short of mind-boggling. And as others have said, the crazy window sizing, the wasted space, and the lack of text in exchange for tiny pictures that are impossible to distinguish... these design choices just rankle.

Please consult some players and fix this.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2014

The issue is that I hate fire and forget. If I had Department Head recommendations on and it auto-slotted then that would be one thing. But I rarely use those recommendations.

The entire point of the DOFF system is the idea that we as the Captains are managing our crews. We're making the big decisions, who might get killed, who will do the best job, who will possibly get injured etc. Making it automatic just removes that from our hands entirely.

But it is a minor thing over the bigger issue. Which is....
    While that's good to hear, is there any possibility of allowing the doffing UI to be selectable? Basically, a selection in the Options menu to allow us to use the "classic" UI until the new one achieves full functionality?

[EDIT] The basis for this request is that initial Tribble builds of the doffing UI changes actually used the new format in Assignments, Department Heads, and so on yet retained the "classic" UI under In Progress; both UI's existed side-by-side. Further, the actual underlying mechanics are not changing (according to Patch Notes), just the manner in which we access those mechanics. This gives some hope that it could be possible to use the more efficient "classic" UI as opposed to the prettier new UI, without necessarily precluding either.

Agreed, this isn't the same as the changeover to the new LCARS full game UI. These two systems exist within the same art scheme. I don't see why we're being forced into this new inferior configuration. The old DOFF UI was and is perfect.

Frankly I would prefer that the crafting UI and DOFF UI were separate, they do different things and serve different functions, they SHOULDN'T look alike.

I'm with Trelane and Azurianstar above otherwise.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Frankly I would prefer that the crafting UI and DOFF UI were separate, they do different things and serve different functions, they SHOULDN'T look alike.

I'm with Trelane and Azurianstar above otherwise.

Agreed. Because what happened here is we ended up with a copypasta for the sake of copypasta, hence the lack of sorting options.

I'm gonna guess this DoFFing Debacle is a combination of several factors:

* Lack of listening or paying attention to feedback
    * The ingrained habit of copypasta without changing things enough to make it work, hence bugs
    * The desire for the UI to be tablet/Mobile-friendly, e.g. gateway
    * Poor Q/A (Perhaps part of issue 1)

Why else would you REDUCE the functionality of a system? Sorting options isn't a small issue particularly when we are encouraged to buy additional doff slots.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the Doff interface facelift. Now can you PLEASE change it back. Dam horrible compared to the old one.

Just killed Doffing for me and a big contribution to my fleet for turning in commendation marks to fleet marks.
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Oh thank god. I just logged in and saw the new DOff UI - the system does a much better job suggesting the right DOffs for assignments, but if it doesn't get it right picking the ones you want is really tedious if you have a large roster.
  • rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why does this have to wait for a patch? Removing the ability to filter duty officers should never have been considered at any point in this redesign.

And if they're going with "fire and forget" stuff, then why not just fix the success traits eating into critical success chance?