What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RE: Duty Officer UI

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So this is how Doffing dies. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    I find the new system somewhat easier in that I don't race through randomly filling doff assignments.

One preference I would like to have is some what to filter the actual assignments by group. I know I need more colonial assignments than anything else, so show only colonial rather than scroll through the entire list one more time.

A check box filter like STF's would be immensely helpful.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry (cause no doubt a lot of work went into this new system) but it sucks.

* It takes longer
    * Doffs already assigned to a mission don't disappear from the apply list
    * We can no longer right click Doffs (useful if we're looking to exchange a bound one) - we have to go into the roster to check 'em first
    * Hard to navigate
    * Not user friendly
    * I think, in some respects, too much detail

It's a mess... Sorry guys!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I feel like I'm playing a new fisher price toy, or windows 8. Either that, or someone turned my computer into a tablet during the night.
    Everything is counter intuitive, big, and ugly. The only good thing about it, is auto slotting for best chance for crit, and you just have to start without checking. Which could have been done on the old UI, while keeping a far more superior UI.

But hey, on the bright side, STO can now be played by 4yo. Which is a good news if you have a child, you can just use him/her to do the DOFF, and it's a lot cheaper than a fisher price computer. It's a win-win situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New interface is terrible. I am not a doffer myself, which is for good.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good thing I only need to do marauding and input contraband, else I would really be pissed of about bringing a childrens toy to STO, and discarded the many many negative comments and good suggestions from tribble.

Why even bother running a testserver, when you change only a little part of a season, even after getting really much hate against the doffing gui?

I wouldnt wonder if there will be yet another player-leave coming.
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i'm just staring at the screen after closing Sto,thinking how did that mess get onto holodeck.
    everytime i opened the doff ui i felt like i wanted to mash my keyboard.
    sorry but it needs resetting to the old doff ui.
    WORST update ever.

I'm done with season 9.5:mad:
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    taut0u wrote: »
    New interface is terrible. I am not a doffer myself, which is for good.

trust me, after this "great" "improvement" of the doff system, i am not a doffer myself anymore.. :cool:
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I had always assumed upgrades made things better. Auto selecting the best DOFFs is good, but nothing else about the DOFF interface is... it looks like it's been sent back in time about 15 years to 1990...
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I think catastrophe is no understatement

Everything about it is terrible, how it looks, feels and operates to the point doff'ing is too painful to play.

Show me a 1600x2400 icon of some shield replicators but the actual text with success etc is so tiny you can hardly find it.

It's also sort of a bad idea to show availablity of missions by coloring an officer slot red - since some doff slots are actually red.

And about crafting whose HUD is equally fubar, after you get materials and click "info" they give you some 15,000 letter lore story but no actual information.

And then it's up to you to find out which items you can produce with the resources you have..

Did it make too much sense to do what the old system did and highlight or grey stuff out for you?

In short, back to the drawingboard we looking at a complete overhaul of everything
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Folks, we don't need 30 threads floating around the forums about the duty officer UI.

Yes , yes we do .
    Why ?

Well .... because this latest unfinished clusterf... is one more example of Cryptic hiding substandard work on Tribble , promising that it will "all be all right" by the time it releases and then we , the players , both those who were on Tribble and those who got handed this steaming pile of .... , can now "provide feedback" after the fact ... -- when the feedback on Tribble was completely ignored once more .

... it's like this bad horror movie , where you just know that the blond chick and the guy in the wheel chair won't make it ... :(

I've updated the original post to include the fact that Hawk HAS HEARD THE FEEDBACK AND IS WORKING ON SOME OPTIONS.

Hawk unplugging from his "lalalallalalalalalalala-I-can't-hear-you " mode is not the point , nor is it a cause for celebration this late in the game .

His (and Thomas's) sheer arrogance ... that this ... this ... *thing* was "good enough" for a PC user is simply astounding .

... it just leaves me wondering how many more times can we expect Cryptic to .... on us and expect us to clap like the trained seals of a certain podcast ...

GIVE US BACK OUR OLD UI AND SAVE THIS "GLORIOUS PIECE OF INCOMPETENCE / GAMER ART" FOR THE FOLKS USING GATEWAY !!!
  • Options
    thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Whoever made the new DOFF UI definitely never DOFFed more than 5 minutes in their life and whoever approved it (assuming that there even is a QA dept) must be blind.

You don't take something working that people enjoy and replace it with something broken. That is just stupid and not to mention a bad business practice.

If Cryptic/STO were a brick and mortar store it would be going out of business.

I've been here since beta
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The New Doff UI is

AWFUL! and i mean AAWWFFUULL!!!!

I used to Doff all the time but now I can NOT be bothered to scroll through the 240 doffs I have to find the ones I want to use!

So....

I will only do the Doff assignments I need/want to do...

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

tell me there is a fix inbound for this utter mess called the new Doff system. :confused::confused::confused:
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Most of my game was doffing before this. now, I'll probably be in game a lot less.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    At first glance, I like it. It feels faster to me. But, I am a very, very casual doffer and I just click go like it's a slot machine. I can see how someone who knows more and cares more about doffs would hate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Whoever made the new DOFF UI definitely never DOFFed more than 5 minutes in their life and whoever approved it (assuming that there even is a QA dept) must be blind.

You don't take something working that people enjoy and replace it with something broken. That is just stupid and not to mention a bad business practice.

:cough:Windows8:cough:

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The slider bar on the mission requirements is too thin.

I thought I'd given up hunt the pixel when I gave up console games.

There are a host of other issues as well.

Things is, they already know about them because they were told by the tribble testers.

Yet this was released anyway.

Way, WAY, too much shoddy work recently.

My wallet remains closed.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    :cough:Windows8:cough:

isn't it more like every window since xp? that is the only one I've hear good things about.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well ... Geko said something recently about content having to stand up to Cryptic's "new standard" .

... if I were cynical I'd say that this UI is EXACTLY up there with Cryptic's new standard ... :eek:
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Fire your UI/UX guy.

DOFFing was one of the best systems ever designed for STO, aside from space combat. Those two things, literally, are what kept me in the game. This UX fiasco has killed DOFFing. And it makes me :mad: and :( that Cryptic thought this pile of kitten was a good idea.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    spiral999spiral999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would also like to voice my disgust at the new doff interface. The old one was intuitive and easy to use. The new one has neither of these traits.
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am trying to remain as calm as I possibly can but I am literally angry with rage! I just tried to do a simple mission to get some colonists and every time I selected a quartermaster the SAME ONE popped up as an option on the next slot!!!!

This UI is the most awful piece of garbage I have ever seen, the whole system is beyond comprehension... how is a new player let alone a veteran doffer supposed to navigate this epic fail of a UI?

We asked for MORE functionality not LESS!!!! We wanted the doffing system to be something that can benefit all styles of play, and the way it is now there's just no use for it, it's too much of a burden to deal with. I have to squint at the screen when looking at my completed assignments just to see if any of them crited or not even tho the assignment bar is ENORMOUS!!!!!!!

You took everything that was great and simple and useful about the old UI and threw it away Windows 8 style! It is clear now that whoever designed this lemon has never played this game before or used the duty officer system, this is not the way to improve things, you are supposed to ask for feedback from people who use the system EVERY DAY!!! You guys could have started a forum post in the Tribble feedback section with some concept art and some examples of what you were planning and we could have told you this wasn't something we wanted and we could have told you what would work and what wouldn't work, but NO you guys know what WE want... we have no clue what we want out of the system, I only send hundreds of doffs on assignment EVERY DAY so I have no clue what I'm talking about!

I'm not asking, I'm DEMANDING that you pull this trainwreck of a UI and start over, this time ASKING doffers for feedback and maybe you guys can actually ADD SOME CONTENT TO THE DOFF SYSTEM!!!!

I have 490 doffs currently on my main, they're all not on assignment all the time... why not add a function that we've seen in EVERY Trek movie and TV show... DUTY SHIFTS!!!! It would be simple, the system would pull doffs that aren't doing anything based off rarity (no traits would effect anything, keep it simple), each department would have it's own type of duty shift, each one would give certain things every hour or 3 hours or however each player wants it (dilith, contraband, commodities, spare parts, hypos, regens, buffs) you could go all out with the types of shifts and the beauty of it would be that if you need a doff on a duty shift for an assignment the system would put the doff on the assignment and just pull another doff in your roster for the shift. Rewards could be based off rarity of doffs used, there would be no fail just success or crit, success rewards would be minimal reward or nothing and crit would be larger (and I'm not talking about rewarding 1000 dilith an hour or 10 contrabands, I'm thinking more of a trickling effect like a long term investment). And you could have shifts that give various rewards and then have 3 to 4 different sizes of shifts that can accommodate small rosters (100-150 doffs or less, at 7 departments 10 doffs per shift [70 doffs]) a mid range (200-300, 30 doffs per shift) and a large (350-500 sized rosters, 50-60 doffs per shift) and they would give more rewards based on the size of the shifts, which would promote buying more doffs and more roster space without TRIBBLE up any core part of the game, and that is just ONE idea that ONE doffer has that can make you guys money!!!!

So I apologize if I'm coming off as an angry troll and for any spelling/grammatical errors my rant may contain but I am just very passionate about doffs, it is really one of the main reasons I love this game so much... please don't ruin it for me and for everyone else who has worked so hard to make their perfect crew...

End Rant.
  • Options
    rodneywollamrodneywollam Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It sucks. Period.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »

You took everything that was great and simple and useful about the old UI and threw it away Windows 8 style!

Ouch.

/10chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Another problem in new UI:

I cannot see how many I have required items in my inventory or bank.
  • Options
    halfking88halfking88 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Adding my voice to the chorus of people furious over this stupid, needless, and altogether horrible change. Not that it will do any good, of course.

I really loved the DOFF system before. It was honestly one of the few things about STO that kept me coming back because it was immersive and unique. Making it obtuse to the point of being unusable is just baffling, and when you add this into the removal of the other immersive features they removed needlessly, I think I won't be coming back.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If Heretic was dead, I'd assume he'd be spinning in his grave....:P
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hate it also. It's completely counter productive and takes more time to do what just took a few clicks before. It shouldn't take 3 times the clicking to queue up one DOff mission. The whole thing is way too bloated as well. Ginormous icons making the thing just hideous and unattractive. I don't know what the team was thinking with this change but they were definitely thinking wrong!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If Heretic was dead, I'd assume he'd be spinning in his grave....:P

QFT....enough said!
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."