test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #30: Odyssey Uniforms

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We decided not to update Klingon uniforms across the board as the KDF is more decentralized than Starfleet (...)

Yeah, I'm sure this is the reason you didn't revisit the horrid launch costumes with their colour palette, clipping and missing parts errors. I guess not enough new players were confused to consider it a issue of high quality standarts ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do like the uniforms but can you fix the kdf uniforms and some other bugs in the taller
    (like extra slot for uniform who can not be use wen we live a fleet the slot remains and wen we join a another fleet adds another slot witch we can not use)
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stardate 87003.8

Fleet Admiral Jorel Quinn
    Starfleet Command
    TO: All Starship and Station Commanders

REGARDING STARFLEET UNIFORM CODE

This memorandum is to inform you of updates to the Starfleet Uniform Code Subsection 1 effective Stardate 87003.

As the political realities throughout Federation space continue to shift, Starfleet must remain a force for consistency and stability. To that end, the admiralty is enacting a fleet-wide update and standardization of the Starfleet duty uniform. Starfleet has officially and totally adopted the uniform designated “Odyssey”, which has already seen initial deployment by personnel on Earth Spacedock in Sector 001 and in several fleet command starbases across the quadrant.

The Odyssey uniform design provides a solid link to Starfleet’s heritage while establishing a bold direction for its future.

Attached to this message are replicator patterns for the Odyssey uniform. We have authorized all starship and station commanders to begin replication and distribution of this uniform among their crews effective immediately. Please also see the attached uniform specifications on appropriate accessories, coloration and wear.

NOTE: Subsection 2, Paragraph 1 of the Starfleet Uniform Code remains in effect; Starship captains continue to have discretion as to their personal uniform and the uniforms of their bridge crew.

In service,
    Fleet Admiral Jorel Quinn
    Starfleet Command, Earth Spacedock
    Long overdue and very apreciated.

Thanks Devs !!!:)

EDIT:
    I would preferred if they had been a bit more TNG/TOS like (department colors more visible).
    But i know you love DS9 and it's still way better than the chaotic 2409 stuff.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • gdeemergdeemer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1) I like all of the changes;
    2) It would be nice to be able to redo some of our cross-faction Bridge Officer uniforms
    3) It would be nice for the dropdown templates to default the colors to the designed colors (rather than keeping the colors of the current uniform that we are replacing)

It has been very nice to see the galaxy-wide updates to the uniforms on the NPCs. Nice job Devs.:)
    ========================
    Deemer
    Fleet Admiral
    Mechanized Dragons
    ========================
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the outfits look great but will rom players be able to use the fleet outfits i would like the female kdf skirt for my female Rom/kdf char. as it stands at the moment u can buy the outfit but not use it in Rommys :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited July 2014
    @devs, just one more thing:
    Shouldn't it be row "H" instead of row "I" for the black parts of the Odyssey uniform?
    I ask this, because Row "I" looks a bit too brown-ish to me...

EDIT (again):
    Devs, i L O V E the Veteran jackets!!!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • raveline2kraveline2k Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the new uniforms... but again nothing for the Romulans! :(

What about let Romulans use all the KDF/FED uniforms? That would be way better..
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any chance of a button in the tailor ui "match captains uniform and colours" ?
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    raveline2k wrote: »
    What about let Romulans use all the KDF/FED uniforms? That would be way better..

For the umpteenth time, you're Romulan, not Federation or KDF.
  • miroexinmiroexin Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Woooow me like a lot everything in the blog :-)

Thank you very much!
    After 21 crafting assignments and burning 1575 dil to bypass 2h building time to build MK II dual cannon I got:
    0, yes zero very rare AP MK II dual canons
    p.s. I will execute my rare Jam’hadar who is serving under me for 1,5 years for incompetence it’s just a MK II dual canon, he is Energy Weapons Officer not a Doctor.
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I also really like that you've given the specs to make the uniforms on your characters. That makes things a lot easier!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I must say, this is one of the best tailor related blogs I've read since the release of the game! I am so glad you're opening up the Odyssey uniform as the new 'standard' for Federation officers and the Bortasqu' uniform being available to all KDF toons too!! They are some of my favourite non-canon uniforms in the game. I also love that you've added additional options via the fleet tailors now. I would still like to see a skirt available for the Odysey version but generally it's a small issue because the Academy skirt works well with it.

Yay for uniform uniformity in Star Fleet once again!! :D
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure this is the reason you didn't revisit the horrid launch costumes with their colour palette, clipping and missing parts errors. I guess not enough new players were confused to consider it a issue of high quality standarts ;)

Well honestly I prefer it this way, even with the clipping issues at hand. I like my KDF being diverse, seems more appropriate, immersive and true to canon. I'd hate it if they make every KDF NPC wear a Bortasqu' uniform, it would make us look like a "Red Federation" a bit too much.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    This is indeed welcome news about the standardisation in Starfleet which we've seen happening, also to see new uniform options is good and having pieces that were missing before even more so.

It's a shame the Romulans don't have a special uniform of their own to have, but hopefully that'll be remedied, one day.........
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    "Discuss in forums" doesn't link.

I like it, although that fed logo belt is uber tacky on the last pic. No tacky belt buckles in the future, please.

I wouldn't say tacky, but the color limitations are awful, as usual. No way to give it a metallic gold or silver finish. The buckle also only have 1 color channel instead of 2. One for the blob and one for the crest.
    edited July 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Well honestly I prefer it this way, even with the clipping issues at hand. I like my KDF being diverse, seems more appropriate, immersive and true to canon. I'd hate it if they make every KDF NPC wear a Bortasqu' uniform, it would make us look like a "Red Federation" a bit too much.
    Agreed.
    Surely we have seen Klingons wearing all the same uniform in the shows, but i think the KDF isn't like a standing army more like several individual armies (houses) IMO.

A tale of two Picards
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is a positive development in every way - new options added, and those of us who already bought the uniforms don't lose out. The notes on the "official" Starfleet colour configuration are a welcome bonus.

At least we will all look pretty as we slaughter numberless hordes of aliens in a mindless grind-fest....
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Very nice uniforms!

Special thanks for the colors guide!
  • kalyonsummerskalyonsummers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Anyone know when and if these are going to be re-release: Worf Klingon Warrior Sash and Goatee [From the TNG Anniversary]?

Would love for them to be made a z-store purchase or ingame unlock for some Klingon thing helping Worf or whatever.

Just my thoughts.... oh and I support the new Uniforms too :D
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I was referring to the "we decided not to update uniforms" line. I am actually with you on the KDF logically, although canon suggests otherwise. The bortasQ uniform should represent the "core" of the Defense Force, while additional "auxilliary" troops are equipped by their house. That being said, Gorn, Orions and other affiliated forces should NOT wear Klingon uniforms. This would have been an opportunity to fix the old costumes, introduce new ones for mercenaries and subjects and fix the bortasQ uniform. But they decided to "not to update uniforms" that are in dire need of updating. And I'm sure not doing anything is not because "it makes sense this way" ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I was referring to the "we decided not to update uniforms" line. I am actually with you on the KDF logically, although canon suggests otherwise. The bortasQ uniform should represent the "core" of the Defense Force, while additional "auxilliary" troops are equipped by their house. That being said, Gorn, Orions and other affiliated forces should NOT wear Klingon uniforms. This would have been an opportunity to fix the old costumes, introduce new ones for mercenaries and subjects and fix the bortasQ uniform. But they decided to "not to update uniforms" that are in dire need of updating. And I'm sure not doing anything is not because "it makes sense this way" ;)

Ah, you referred to sprucing up the older uniforms in order for them to look better and more apropriate. Can't disagree on that one, but obviously the way such issues were treated for years before led me to not even consider it a possibility, unfortunately.
    Although it would be nice to have the KDF NPCs grouped in several groups of uniforms, like the templates now availibe at the tailor, so for ex. we could see several large gorups of uniforms being worn on Qo'noS. That would look diverse enough and possibly reflect the Great House order in Klingon society and members of separate Great Houses wearing something reminiscant of a "House uniform".

Anyway, I might be under the impression of some Klingon ST books, but even having every Klingon wear a different uniform doesn't strike me as strange and implausible. Characters I've read about all wore uniforms as they pleased, as long as their rank insignia and House badge were displayed on the appropriate places.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited July 2014

That, KDF having an enforced Uniform just isn't Klingon.
  • regnarokq1aregnarokq1a Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    whilst the new reward is nice, u need to do something for us long time players...... some of us have been here for much more than the 1000 days that the current rewards stop at. I personnally have more than 1450days in game. lol, what can I say, I love retirement. anyway, thanks for STO, keep up the good work and pay no mind to the trolls =^= :D
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I already got my Fed main into the new official Captain's getup, using the Wrath of Khan belt in place of the as-yet unreleased Odyssey version.

It looks good. Professional.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    pwefail wrote: »
    Any chance of a button in the tailor ui "match captains uniform and colours" ?
    Ooooh, sexy suggestion. I like it. Signed.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Very nice indeed
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Update for everyone! Adding this to the blog as well.

Q: Can my cross faction Bridge Officer wear the Odyssey/Bortasqu' uniform?

A: Yes! Mr Marrone and I just confirmed it, if you have your Diplomacy/Marauding cross faction BOff, you can indeed access the uniform for their corresponding fleet.

Make sure to try this on your Fed/KDF BOffs if you have reached top tier in Diplomacy/Marauding CXP and have claimed your cross faction Bridge Officer.

Enjoy your new snazy threads everyone :)

~CaptainSmirk

Just to clarify and make sure I understand this:

My Federation captain can take her Gorn boff she got through Diplomacy CXP and put him in the Odyssey uniform? And similarly, my KDF captain can take her Andorian boff obtained through the Marauding CXP and put her in the Bortasqu uniform? Is this correct?
    • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      The oddy tactical top is miraculous. It somehow took the nasty looking oddy top and made it look like something that I would actually use. Personally, I think it could use yet more minor changes but it is a huge improvement. Even as it is, I would use it.
      I hope that I can colour the piping independently from the undershirt and the rest of the top. It just strikes me as a bit frivolous and against the whole idea of a tactical uniform to have a brightly coloured bit of piping running alone the shoulders. If I could, I would colour it so it is the same grey as the rest of the shoulders.
      Having the rank on the neck seems strange to me. It is something that never really sat well with me, it actually stops me from using the TNG, Voy and DS9 outfits. It's even worse with the admiral ranks. I would love to have the option of having rank insignia in other positions instead of on the neck. Places that make more sense like on the cuffs, on the shoulders (i.e. on epaulettes like the mirror ent outfit) or perhaps on the chest like the sierra/antares/jupiter series of outfits. Having them on the cuffs and displayed more prominently would really suit the dress outfit, while the tac would probably have smaller and less intrusive ones on the chest or something.

The oddy dress is also miraculous in that it takes the original oddy outfit and makes it even worse. I always saw the oddy outfit as the b*stard child of the TMP outfit and the seasons 1-2 TNG outfit, plus some recolouring. IMO, the new oddy dress outfit is just a recoloured oddy outfit with the piping and rank stripe of a TWOK uniform grafted on. It's a bona fide Frankenstein.

Still, the tactical outfit is a hell of an improvement. I think it would look a lot better with the ankle height panels & pockets trousers, something that can't be used on female toons anymore for whatever reason. I'll never use the oddy outfit or the oddy dress, but the tactical oddy top is something I will certainly be happy using.

EDIT

I have to admit that my perception of uniforms has been coloured by my own military service. I have always tried to make my outfits have the same sort of character as modern day military working uniform. Something like the old "Combat 95" uniforms the British army used until very recently. I always detested the "garrison uniform" or "dress uniform" style stuff. I hated it when I was a soldier and I still despise it, mostly for practical reasons than appearance. "Practical reasons" like the garrison and dress stuff was a pain to wash and iron, had no pockets, was more fragile, less comfortable and held on to any sort of stains with a stubbornness that would have made Churchill proud!
      I need a beer.

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      drreverend wrote: »
      Just to clarify and make sure I understand this:

My Federation captain can take her Gorn boff she got through Diplomacy CXP and put him in the Odyssey uniform? And similarly, my KDF captain can take her Andorian boff obtained through the Marauding CXP and put her in the Bortasqu uniform? Is this correct?

Other way round - your Fed's Gorn can wear the new Bortasqu uniform, and your KDF can dress her Andorian in the Odessey Uniform.
    • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      cbrjwrr wrote: »
      Other way round - your Fed's Gorn can wear the new Bortasqu uniform, and your KDF can dress her Andorian in the Odessey Uniform.

i bet a round of blood wine that you cant change the look KDF marauder boff when this goes live i've played since F2P came out and you cant change there looks.
      gs9kwcxytstg.jpg