What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's the Point of Posting and Reading Anymore

Comments

• Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    See, I just can't. Averaging 8-10 hours a day on the forums for the past 2.5 years...I've never had the tinfoil hat feeling that something was going on like it has with all the nonsense of late.

It's like the small group that got ticked about the Rep change put up flyers at the grocery store, schools, community centers, churches, you name it...recruiting folks to come parrot all sorts of misinformation.

Dead parrot thread????

Hellllooo Polly!!!
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay, I'll play:

"Those who agree with us may not be right, but we admire their astuteness."
    -Cullen Hightower

:D
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    The OP doesn't spend enough time here methinks.

1.) The feedback here DOES impact the games development. We may not get everything we want, but many times they make changes that improve the game.

2.) Sometimes the feedback is unwarranted and premature. But I would also say in the same breath that Cryptic has a history of poorly communicating major changes.

Now for the good news:

1.) Cryptic continues to develop the game with a long-term agenda. YAY. It's not dead Jim.

2.) Beyond the hyperbolae, they do read your posts.

3.) For every hateful, trolling post there are at least 10 people who are pleasantly happy with the status quo and eagerly await what happens.

Angry people are 30x more likely to complain online than happy people who post a nice 'thank you'. In simple terms, when more people complain they (Cryptic) do tend to listen.

There are a dozen or more thread like this sleeping peacefully in the lost archives of the forum. They happen EVERY TIME Cryptic launches something new. Every single time.

So while the OP's comments are indeed heartfelt and warranted - been there, done that.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    For every hateful, trolling post there are at least 10 people who are pleasantly happy with the status quo and eagerly await what happens

And probably also ten people who are unhappy with either the status quo or an announced change, who express themselves reasonably.

It's not a choice between troll and fanboy.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    All I see is another thread whining about others who are supposedly whining. You know I am starting to sense that certain fanboys are getting really concerned about the negative feedback. I suggest you put your hands over your ears and hum real loud. Nah nah nah ... I can't hear you! Or better yet ...

To quote Malcolm Reynolds:

"... So why don't we just ignore each other until we go away"
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    concerned about the negative feedback

If it were a complaint about negative feedback, you might have something there...
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Over the last few weeks I see nothing worth reading in these forums. Nothing but misinformation, knee jerk reactions to the misinformation, and the same bs over and over. Give it a break guys. The doom threads, veiled doom threads, anti-this, do nerf this, don't nerf that is getting so boring.

"There is nothing new under the sun" -Ecclesiastes 1:9
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Cryptic used to pay more heed to the forums back in the day...but some things wont ever be changed, regardless of what record-breaking threadnaught gets created. The best example of this would be the uber-threadnaught relating to the reputation nerf. It was the largest i have seen and the dev-silence was deafening. It had ZERO effect on the outcome, even with the myriad of suggestions and feedback being made.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    If it were a complaint about negative feedback, you might have something there...

The vast-overwhelming majority of the posts people complain about actually are negative feedback. They criticize (and provide suggestion, tweaks, helpful hints) repeated mistakes by Cryptic. At the very least those posts clearly state why the decisions are a mistake. Go ahead and take a poll ... I will wait.

Now if it bothers you that other people find so many problems with Cryptic's approach then just ignore those people. Or better yet just keep thinking those people are deluded or entitled (I really dislike how much this word is overused).

One of 2 things will happen ...

1) Either they are wrong and everything will turn out for the best. So no harm was done.

or

2) This game continues on its relentless drive toward grinds and cash grabs and continues to alienate fans of the IP and veterans.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's not about providing negative feedback to Cryptic. I fully support providing negative feedback to Cryptic. Constructive negative feedback...something that might potentially move the game in a positive direction. Cryptic needs to hear about all the TRIBBLE they're doing wrong - they need to know where they're TRIBBLE up, they need to know where they're losing folks, they need to know where they're not looking to get folks back...all of that...and there is just so much of that.

It's about all the folks that just need to get their diapers changed...
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Just because they don't follow peoples complaints doesn't mean they don't read it. They have a more broader view of things, and all the analytics to make those kind of decisions. Do I agree with everything that happens in STO? Newp. Do I post feedback about it? Sometimes but I also make sure it's constructive not just "I don't like it".

And yes, things have been changed based on player feedback countless times.

don't get me wrong many of the changes that have been made over the last couple of years I have no problems with and as with the afore mentioned weekend events personally I think that's one of the best things that has happened lately.
    I wasn't even all that bothered by the grindaversary even though I thought it was handled poorly, personally I would have given the ship away free with the featured mission as usual but made the grind bit just for the extra consoles to enhance it, im sure a lot less players would have complained about that, but that was the way the devs chose to go and I was not bothered either way because I would have played the event anyway so it made no difference to me.
    I know the devs do listen sometimes, the inclusion of the swimwear on risa this year is proof of that.
    but quite often many of the things they do upset a lot of players in one way or another and it often seems that complaints are totally disregarded like the recent news that the exploration sectors will be removed in the upcoming season release for example.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The same reason people slow down to look at a car wreck
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Content has been rather light lately. Give it until season 9.5 then I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I challenge you to let all the dead horses rest in peace for once.

There's no need. They're now going to be "consolidated" into one massive thread where all the dev blogs are hidden so that there's 8 conversations going on at once and the cacophony can be collected and soundly ignored properly and efficiently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Over the last few weeks I see nothing worth reading in these forums. Nothing but misinformation, knee jerk reactions to the misinformation, and the same bs over and over. Give it a break guys. The doom threads, veiled doom threads, anti-this, do nerf this, don't nerf that is getting so boring.
    I challenge you guys to come up with something new and interesting to post about. That isn't negative. I challenge you to do some research and reading before you post your Oh No! Doom! post. I challenge you to search the forums for your topic you're thinking about posting on and see if it hasn't already been covered in the last month before throwing up a new thread.

No different than any other mmo forum community, in fact this is one of the more civilized mmo forums I frequent.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I challenge you guys to come up with something new and interesting to post about. That isn't negative. I challenge you to do some research and reading before you post your Oh No! Doom! post. I challenge you to search the forums for your topic you're thinking about posting on and see if it hasn't already been covered in the last month before throwing up a new thread.

That kitty is cute...

Um what were we talking about again?

Oh right dead horses need to a proper burial. Well maybe if the problems that beat them to death to begin with ever got dealt with....

I think this Arc thing added to turrets to make Turrets that fire through the Fourth Dimension would be Epic. So that is my positive and fun topic. Fourth Dimensional weapon Arcs, apply energy damage directly to warp core!
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Aye. These forums should be completely shut down. Nothing good has ever come out of them. Let the DEVs design the game in peace. And for the love of all that's gameworthy, stop listening to the players.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TBH, the knee jerk Walls of Text from people with a badly overdeveloped sense of self importance are the only reason I come here at all. I can count on this part of the STO Forums crowd to provide me with something to chuckle over all day at work. They've never let me down and I suspect they never will. It is their nature. They cannot stop themselves. Even if they wanted to. Which they so obviously do not.

OP, I applaud you. Your idea is a very good one. But herding wet cats might be easier than getting this lot to change anytime soon. Still, I will do what I can to support your idea. Because it has merit and would be good for the place.

Your statement is an Oxymoron !

You are your statement :D a perfect example of a perfect example of some of the people that frequent this place.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    thetanine wrote: »
    Aye. These forums should be completely shut down. Nothing good has ever come out of them. Let the DEVs design the game in peace. And for the love of all that's gameworthy, stop listening to the players.

dude, that is the practice anyway...Devs hardly take up any suggestions from this forum. The moderators do their job free of charge, and the electricity bill is payed by PWE. If that thing exists or not has no signifficant impact on how the game developes. It just would be bad publicity to NOT have a forum for users, that is basicaly the reason it exists.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, i use to come to the forums to complain about serious bugs, ask some dumb noob questions, and more or less, thats all. But not anymore. Honestly i dont like the general condescendent type of people around these forums, and there is no point on asking or posting about this bug or this one, or make a complete book of a critical bugs that will be never be fixed. 99,9% of the times you will only find the classic people telling you that cryptic is doing a great job, that this is a mmorpg and its like every one out there (lol, fools...) , that cryptic are the kings, blah blah blah.

Im really dissapointed of this community, of course there are exceptions, but this is the all around way of behaviour, unfortunately. Its like if cryptic pays em to say positive things about em and be condescendent all the time. About the game, im dissapointed a LOT with cryptic, specially when they ignore vital issues that are making this game really not fun for a lot of people, and they refuse to aknowledge / fix. Im in the process to find another game, and i am really close (i have 3 or 4 candidates already) and i dont think i will keep playing to "this" in a couple of weeks.

And, what is the purpose of these forums actually?? to create and discuss stupid dumb things mostly? or to see how houndred of players create their laughy "ideas for the game" posts, to waste time (there is no other end). The most important part of the forums, the bug section is completely useless, so, i dont think these forums have too many points to stay alive. I will shut down em for good lol.

I think if the forums will be removed, it will be better for cryptic. One thing cryptic will not be worried about. And they could keep releasing stuff without worrying about anything else.

And this is my "hard" post of the day lol.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    With this in mind, the answer as to what you can do isn't at all clear to you? No one forces you to read anything.

Good advice.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Nothing but misinformation, knee jerk reactions to the misinformation, and the same bs over and over.

I thought that is what forums are for. :D
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Entertainment is useless? What kind of evil being are you?!
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just like to throw gasoline on this dumpster fire from time to time.

It`s entertainment.

Also with all the pain, and suffering that happens in the real world, It amuses me that kidults find the silliest stuff to get a hair across their @ss over.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1. Delete Star Trek Online General Discussion subforum.

2. ???????

3. Profit.

Other subforums are just fine.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I just like to throw gasoline on this dumpster fire from time to time.

It`s entertainment.

Also with all the pain, and suffering that happens in the real world, It amuses me that kidults find the silliest stuff to get a hair across their @ss over.

If the Mods come down on "spirited" discussion when they catch it, I would hate to see how they react to this kind of "entertainment" (lulz -seeking and trolling).

I've learned, after being dinged more than once, that it's better to just let things go. Let the chips fall as they may. Let the trolls and drama-llamas feed elsewhere.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I think this Arc thing added to turrets to make Turrets that fire through the Fourth Dimension would be Epic. So that is my positive and fun topic. Fourth Dimensional weapon Arcs, apply energy damage directly to warp core!

Actually, have it more like...

It shoots into the fourth dimension to deal damage to your enemy...yesterday. Thus damaging them now.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
This discussion has been closed.