test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is every show these days so bloody depressing?

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
The Last Ship, Falling Skies, Defiance, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Hannibal, Mad Men, on and on and on and on.

I mean, I love action and gruesome death as much as the next guy, but one can only take so many people getting shot before they feel like watching something else. Is there anything worth watching or should I just reinstall minecraft?
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Stargate Universe was kinda the same way. All drama and no humor (which made SG-1 and Atlantis so successful). Battlestar Galactica was also heavy on the drama.

At the moment... there really isn't anything worth watching, at least in my opinion, except for the odd episode of Iron Chef America and River Monsters...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hmm, shows on the Food Network (chopped, guy's grocery games, chopped canada, mystery Diners, Restaurant impossible, Iron Chef America, oh and Triple D *drivers, dine-ins and dives*), Suvivorman (and son variant), those are the ones i watch heheh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just mentioned to my family today about how popular the Food Network would be if Taste and Smell could be transmitted through Television. After all, our brain experiences taste and smell through electrical impulses so it is theoretically possible for a meal from Iron Chef to be transmitted to our minds.

As far as the discussion is concerned, TV writers think that sorrow makes for interesting television while it is the full range of human experience that makes for great television.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Last Ship, Falling Skies, Defiance, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Hannibal, Mad Men, on and on and on and on.

I mean, I love action and gruesome death as much as the next guy, but one can only take so many people getting shot before they feel like watching something else. Is there anything worth watching or should I just reinstall minecraft?

Cosmos with NDT. There's your positive and uplifting prime time TV show.

Personally, I'm a fan of Hannibal. I empathize with a really smart sociopath who thinks of killing rude and stupid people quite often, and I can't tear my eyes away from it.
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    hmm, shows on the Food Network (chopped, guy's grocery games, chopped canada, mystery Diners, Restaurant impossible, Iron Chef America, oh and Triple D *drivers, dine-ins and dives*), Suvivorman (and son variant), those are the ones i watch heheh.

Or food TRIBBLE.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe they know something we don't. :rolleyes: To be honest I don't even know if my TV even works anymore, having a good computer and internet with good bandwidth, television is kind of a step backward. Besides the stuff they put on TV anymore, ugh, I think it's deliberately designed to kill brain cells.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Because, we are basically old Rome. Fads, lust, vanity, greed, corruption, etc! The old Colosseum fans wanted blood, so our movies give that to todays people chanting for it, theater wanted lust and drama, tv/internet/movies give us that in their reality shows.

But in the process of giving the viewer their dose of darkness, they show us how miserable wretched our society has become from embracing our primal and dark natures...this generation repeatedly mocks kind and pure hearted people, and treat them like they are mental.

Watch comedys, not cursing people talking about being dirty for a cheap laugh, that will only pull you back into what you would be trying to escape. I mean old fashioned humor, burns and allen, red skelton, abbot and costello...the marx brothers. The people most put down for being old school and dull, also lived in a generation with less crime and suicide statistics because they knew not to touch certain things, or allow their children exposure to it ether!
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sunday
    The Last Ship
    Falling Skies / The Strain (July 13th)

Monday
    Major Crimes
    Under the Dome (June 30th)

Tuesday
    Rizzoli & Isles
    Perception

Wednesday
    Suits / Legends (August 13th)
    Franklin & Bash (August 13th)

Thursday
    Rush (July 17th)

Friday
    The Killing (August 1st - Netflix)

Saturday
    Usually watching SyFy

Is kind of what I'm looking at for Summer TV...I don't find it depressing. I usually find most of the other "stuff" that's on TV to be depressing.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2014

... and i thought i was the only one feeling that way. :)

Sometimes it's just too much gore and morbidity on TV IMO.
    The best thing to do is to watch something light hearted or even totally giggly, like catstarsto said.

I for myself prefer to watch a good Louis DeFunes movie or a good old Bud Spencer & Terence Hill flick (german sub is just :D ) or a Stan Laurel&Oliver Hardy movie if i feel a bit depressed.

Maybe a good start would be to recall what kind of humor you liked when you where young and maybe there are some treasures you didn't know by now. Don't let others tell you this or that would be childish or stupid. Watch what you like, if it's old comedies or anime or whatever comes to your mind.

..just my 2 cents.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I see them as shows offering hope, morals, conviction - that amidst all the TRIBBLE going on, folks do the right thing - even if things get gray, they're still trying to do the right thing. So much of the rest of what is on TV leaves me wondering if the species should survive...meh. I mean, seriously, have you ever seen a commercial for Party Down South?

If you've got Netflix, you can also ignore most of what's on TV and try to hit up various things more to your liking or whatever you're in the mood for as well.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Rather actual shows than the Reality TV & Talent Show trash that's permeated entertainment for years now.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sunday
    The Last Ship
    Falling Skies / The Strain (July 13th)

Monday
    Major Crimes
    Under the Dome (June 30th)

Tuesday
    Rizzoli & Isles
    Perception

Wednesday
    Suits / Legends (August 13th)
    Franklin & Bash (August 13th)

Thursday
    Rush (July 17th)

Friday
    The Killing (August 1st - Netflix)

Saturday
    Usually watching SyFy

Is kind of what I'm looking at for Summer TV...I don't find it depressing. I usually find most of the other "stuff" that's on TV to be depressing.

sunday: people board a ship documentary. (20.3 million viewers)

monday: ship sets sail and the history of the ship is documented (18.6 million)

tuesday: the ships crew tells the world how good they are at dealing with disaster and their experiences. (15.1 million)

wednesday: celebrations, cake and other fun. (10.7 million)

thursday: next day hangover, a show about escape rafts, rubber orange dinghies! (7.7 million)

friday: the ships finest day. (3.5 million)

saturday: ship his a rock and starts sinking, everyone makes it off the ship. (46.8 million!) - show already cancelled due to bad viewing statistics.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would say a case of art imitating life. Economic depressions, war on this, war on that, watch your back or the terrorist is going to get you, be wary of the shady government, envinronmental catastrophies.

It will pass in time. We just need something else to busy our minds. Like a warp engine, now that would brighten the mood.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »
    I would say a case of art imitating life. Economic depressions, war on this, war on that, watch your back or the terrorist is going to get you, be wary of the shady government, envinronmental catastrophies.

thats what you call scaremongering in order to drive people to a certain thing, in the usa you making people nervous of their middle eastern neighbours, they go out buy a gun and ammo (success to the media hype) and then spy on their new neighbours while trying to equally and hypocritically deal with the rights as a free man and privacy (completely ignorant that their neighbours just want a new life and are very friendly).

so yeah, thats a can of worms thats opened and its best to close it up.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Dunno. SpongeBob's still on the air, right?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dude, just do what I do. Watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

It's the only show out there with a positive message, interesting storylines and Tara Strong, who has a nice badonkadonk.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Other than SG-1 (Poland's SciFi from 4-6 PM CET, not sure if its counterparts in other countries are doing the same) or SGA (none that I know of) reruns, there doesn't seem to be much. I tend to go play games to compensate. :P

If only I had a sense of humor... (I can understand it quite well, and find it quite amusing, but I couldn't come up with my own jokes if my life depended on it)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Rather actual shows than the Reality TV & Talent Show trash that's permeated entertainment for years now.

very much this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Watch Red Dwarf on a loop. A used space, after apocalypse, setting that won't make you cry with depression.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My take on it was a surplus of fake blood and such, not sure what to think now. Also do the syfy people even know what science fiction is?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    captz1pp wrote: »
    Also do the syfy people even know what science fiction is?

That had better be a rhetorical question... :P

Unless, of course, you're seriously considering the idea of Xena being science fiction...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Apart from the UK version of MasterChef and episodes of Mythbusters and My Cat From Hell I have stopped watching the TV, especially the news, if it isn't depressing you it is lying its head off.

I have to say I'm much happier for it.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Game of Thrones has been fantastic, it's a depressing story anyway.

To quote Ramsay Snow, if you are looking for a happy ending, you are not paying attention
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      i made the choice to throw out the tv around when i was 18 years old, thats 8 years ago and i havent regretted it since. i watch live or delayed motor racing on youtube and thats all i watch on the outside world as nothing else makes the slightest bit of difference to me. ever since the bbc threw out sci-fi from the 6pm slot and replaced it with food programmes or bloody tennis of all programmes! something i wouldnt watch even if you threatened to take my eyes out first.. why onm earth would i waste my time with most of this TRIBBLE. the rest of my time is occupied on other things.
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Only thing I use a TV for is playing my PS3
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
        edited June 2014
        Dude, just do what I do. Watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

It's the only show out there with a positive message, interesting storylines and Tara Strong, who has a nice badonkadonk.

And we have a winning post!

OP, TV is a reflection of life. :P American society has matured past the hazed over version of the mirror from shows like Family Ties, Facts of Life and the Cosby Show.

There is true joy in shows like "The Goldbergs" though :)
      • Options
        ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
        edited June 2014
        People still watch TV ? I thought that was what cavemen did.
        Jokes aside Space Battleship Yamato was pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWfu3STLtQ
        jFriX.png
      • Options
        edited June 2014
        watched a recent indycar race from texas motor speedway, and everytime mikhail aleshin is mentioned it always puts a smile on my face, a russian in indycar being complimented by american media and only 25 years ago the very thought would of been perverse :D. times changing!

back then in the 90's you had crystal maze, fort boyard, scrapheap challenge, red dwarf and so many others to choose from, it as a gold mine of things to watch with some value to each other then. instead today you got morons on a stage in front of cameras and a nic singing worse the neelix could ever attempt and somehow be called "talent".

quality? whats that? :D its an alien word and concept.
      • Options
        teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
        edited June 2014
        To me, only 2 shows in the last year have been worth watching...

1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, which won't be back for a few months yet
        2. Revolution, which got cancelled by NBC (possibly the dumbest move by that channel to date)

Other than those, I turn on TBS at night while I'm gaming for background noise provided by Family Guy and BBT, and I also watch ST:TNG reruns on BBC America on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

All the damn reality shows need to go, seriously... Idol, The Voice (which is passable i guess, that one might be able to stay), Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor/Bachelorette, AGT (although they do have some interesting acts sometimes), and now ABC is adding ANOTHER singing show! I'm sure I missed a few from the major networks too, and don't even get me started on the cesspool of reality shows on the cable channels...

Oh, and football needs to stay. Go VIKINGS!! :D
      • Options
        nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
        edited June 2014
        maybe its a sign that we need a positive sci fi show on the air, perhaps based around a unified group of species dedicated to exploration and seeking out new life and new civilizations hint hint :D
        0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
      • Options
        grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
        edited June 2014
        teluas wrote: »
        To me, only 2 shows in the last year have been worth watching...

1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, which won't be back for a few months yet
        2. Revolution, which got cancelled by NBC (possibly the dumbest move by that channel to date)

Other than those, I turn on TBS at night while I'm gaming for background noise provided by Family Guy and BBT, and I also watch ST:TNG reruns on BBC America on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

All the damn reality shows need to go, seriously... Idol, The Voice (which is passable i guess, that one might be able to stay), Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor/Bachelorette, AGT (although they do have some interesting acts sometimes), and now ABC is adding ANOTHER singing show! I'm sure I missed a few from the major networks too, and don't even get me started on the cesspool of reality shows on the cable channels...

Oh, and football needs to stay. Go VIKINGS!! :D

Another show that needs to go is Honey Booboo. One can only take so much of watching a dumb obiese family running around all day:mad:.

The only TV shows that I would recommend are Through the Wormhole (it's really fun to watch sometimes, especially if your a fan of nerdy science:cool:), Mythbusters, and my all time favorite: The Big Bang Theory.
        say-star-wars-is-better.jpg