Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #65 - Myths & Lore - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    i can neither confirm nor deny, nor not confirm // nice work -- the karrank}{ remind me of tellarites
    :cool:

They do have somewhat similar dispositions :cool:
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i once wrote a species called the Hellonesians and they had to be completely on both sides of everything: "Hello. It is both an honor and dishonor to meet you. Your presence is both valued and threatening."
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    i will and will not not will do a cameo in my next entry
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I may or may not agree or disagree with that comment or promise.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    i once wrote a species called the Hellonesians and they had to be completely on both sides of everything: "Hello. It is both an honor and dishonor to meet you. Your presence is both valued and threatening."

They sound awesomely terrible :D :cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @starswordc - The Enterprise cameo caught me off guard as well. Yet it was a great entry and really enjoyable read. David Weber has it right (of course), thank the Trek for Interial Dampeners!

EDIT - @jonsills - YAY Grunt! This was par for course for excellent. Take THAT Lore! So, does this mean you actually use a Nebula in-game now?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Captain Smirk to the bridge, your LC prompt is overdue...
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Having just watched Total Recall (the good one from Verhoeven, not that remake that sent me to sleep), I've decided to come up with a cast list of my main crew. Not everyone who has been in my stories, just the crew of the Viper as it stands currently. I hadn't bothered with them before as they were all in game characters, but I found a good fit for Talaina so here goes:

Talaina Kazzur: Sharon Stone (Total Recall era)
    Ttorkkinn: Michael Ironside
    Xui Li: Lucy Liu (with a heavy chinese accent)
    Jenna Jones: Sarah Chalke (first season of Scrubs era)
    Claire Dotson: Denise Richards
    T'Fon: Jason Statham
    Karry: Anna Hathaway
    Grimworm: Voiced by Kelsey Grammer.
    Bob Juffra: Viggo Mortensen

I might come up with someone for D'Elon and her crew, but I doubt I'll find someone outside those who already play Romulans.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @jonsills awesome / love those scenes where crew fight to be the heroes
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay, what with the con coming up and the launch of 9.5, I was willing to cut some slack, but...

Captain Smirk, please report to the Bridge for a new prompt!

:)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That may well be the issue.

I will repeat my Public Relations 101 advice, though, from the last major delay: it is FAR preferable to openly communicate an awareness that there is a delay or "inconvenience," and a game plan to deal with it later (and follow through on that) than to hope to let it slide by with silence. People will fill in the gaps on their own and in most cases, that will be much worse than the real cause. And if the real cause IS that bad, that is even more reason to take the lead and get out ahead of the speculation.

Trust me, Smirk/Cryptic--following this advice will save a world of trouble.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @knightraider6 - That was an excellent piece! The space battle was well told and what a save! Although "SDF" makes me think of "Super Dimensional Fortress" ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Guys, she's got mobs with pitchforks on like six or seven forums to deal with, a buggy Seasonal release, and what appears to be little to no support from her superiors at Cryptic. This stuff, it's fun stuff, but our Community Manager's got a hell of a lot of work on her plate and a ****storm to get settled down before she can come in here and play with US.

Just...just saying, be patient.

Trendy does other forums, too?

Man, I wonder what has the other forums so riled up. Releases?

Must be SOMEthing, I guess, although given the known fickleness of MMO players that could be anything from blatant P2W to a hull buff for the Aquarius.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Trendy does other forums, too?

Man, I wonder what has the other forums so riled up. Releases?

Probably roughly the same things we get bees in our collective bonnets about over here.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Smirk and Trendy are hosting a livestream on crafting right now.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    proteusrex wrote: »
    Smirk and Trendy are hosting a livestream on crafting right now.

My condolences to them. They get to put up with the more vocal of our community. :P

Alright, I'm nearly done with the Epilogue to my entry. Before I put it up, what loose ends do people want to see tied up from my entry the most?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Which is probably a form of either damage control or "let's teach impatient people how cool this new thing is".

From my point of view:
    1) There is always LC 60
    2) Open a new thread with my own fic just *dripping* with anticipation to share
    3) Work (like right now, seriously)

I probably need to put #3 up top ...

From my point of view I am dead stuck on LC 11. Why did they essentially rewrite canon? Aaaiiieee!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    From my point of view I am dead stuck on LC 11. Why did they essentially rewrite canon? Aaaiiieee!!

A) Could you be more specific about them rewriting canon?

B) You could do what I did with Eleya and just say that you're using the pre-Season X version of canon. Her backstory uses the pre-season 8 Fed tutorial. If Elisa Flores even exists in the Bait and Switch-verse she's on another ship.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @knightraider6 - That was an excellent piece! The space battle was well told and what a save! Although "SDF" makes me think of "Super Dimensional Fortress" ;)

Well, Miska is a Schrodi from an alternate dimension... :D
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I had a dream this morning that a new LC was out. Since it was not so, I think I should keep attempting to finish my LC63 entry that I've yet to finish for two months. However, I seem unable to think of a convincing climax.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, killing time, I ran my last three entries through I Write Like. In order, the stories were Grunt's gender-swap universe, Burwell's encounter with the Prophets, and the tale of Facility 4028. And in that order, I was told that I write like Arthur C. Clarke, Douglas Adams, and David Foster Wallace.

Now I have to look up some of Wallace's works, and see if that's a compliment.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, killing time, I ran my last three entries through I Write Like. In order, the stories were Grunt's gender-swap universe, Burwell's encounter with the Prophets, and the tale of Facility 4028. And in that order, I was told that I write like Arthur C. Clarke, Douglas Adams, and David Foster Wallace.

Now I have to look up some of Wallace's works, and see if that's a compliment.

Interesting way to kill time.

Okay, so really scattershot for me. Red Fire, Red Planet chapter one reads like Arthur C. Clarke, "An Anomalous Nightmare" (LC63 Nightmare Anomaly) like Chuck Palahniuk, Reality Is Fluid (LC64 The New Frontier) got Jonathan Swift, The Headhunt (LC65) looks like Robert Louis Stevenson, and chapter one of The Wrong Reflection sounds like James Joyce.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My first entry for this story is apparantly written like Isaac Asimov. and the second like Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm ok with that.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Apparently I write like David Foster Wallace.

Since I'm a big fan of him, this is a good thing to me.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Apparently I write like Douglas Adams...

Cool.
  • Options
    icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ok, i'll jump on the bandwagon

first one: Lewis Carrol,

Second one: Arthur C Clarke

I was thinking more along the lines of harry turtledove and david drake
    Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.