Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #65 - Myths & Lore - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1

I feel like a line has been crossed here which I'm not comfortable with. Reviews from participants in this community is one thing, critique from members of another, with no chance for discussion or rebuttal, is another, and not something I'm in any way comfortable or happy with...

If it's any consolation, DEA said that Ael t'Kazanak is her new favorite character.

I gave the guys "A Property Line Dispute" to read and they ate it up. Quinndine is ptortoise's favorite villain of the week.
    (above redacted out of courtesy to marcusdkane)

Besides, if you want to talk to the guys yourself, you can just hop on the chat. I'm on there pretty frequently, the guys never criticize people unfairly, and they have something nice to say about all but the worst stories.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1

I feel like a line has been crossed here which I'm not comfortable with. Reviews from participants in this community is one thing, critique from members of another, with no chance for discussion or rebuttal, is another, and not something I'm in any way comfortable or happy with...

Well, all my fics are already on FFN, including the unfinished ones. Prior to this the only real reliable reviewers I had were my own family. I'm on deviantART, too, but literature doesn't get as many views as visual art over there (I think I've gotten one comment on Bait and Switch, and it was just somebody raising his hand that he recognized Eleya's holonovel).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Besides, if you want to talk to the guys yourself, you can just hop on the chat. I'm on there pretty frequently, the guys never criticize people unfairly, and they have something nice to say about all but the worst stories.
    It's not so much that (and the redacted is indeed nice to hear :cool: ) equally, if they were to join the community here and participate, then all well and good. What I'm not entirely comfortable with, is the violation of 'privacy' (funny thing to complain about on the Internets, I know, but that's how it feels to me) that work has been passed to external observers... Although the forum is open to read, it is still a community of sorts, and I'd feel more comfortable with feedback from within that without...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Well, all my fics are already on FFN, including the unfinished ones. Prior to this the only real reliable reviewers I had were my own family. I'm on deviantART, too, but literature doesn't get as many views as visual art over there (I think I've gotten one comment on Bait and Switch, and it was just somebody raising his hand that he recognized Eleya's holonovel).
    FFN is actually where I first read RFRP and B&S.

BTW, you WILL finish RFRP, right? Please?
    It's not so much that (and the redacted is indeed nice to hear :cool: ) equally, if they were to join the community here and participate, then all well and good. What I'm not entirely comfortable with, is the violation of 'privacy' (funny thing to complain about on the Internets, I know, but that's how it feels to me) that work has been passed to external observers... Although the forum is open to read, it is still a community of sorts, and I'd feel more comfortable with feedback from within that without...

I...don't quite get it, but I respect your position.

I will also note that I first found out about STO from the forums; I was searching for B&S one day and used Google instead of FFN, and landed on this site. After that, well, I'm a Trekkie and I like MMOs, so it was only a matter of minutes for me to download the game and get an account. :cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I don't mind a wider community reading my stuff - that's why I post it here instead of keeping it hidden safely on my hard drive. That being said, apparently worffan will only provide their feedback if you specifically ask for it, so let's note that marcus feels uncomfortable with that. (Not sure why, you're a pretty doggone good writer, but there you go.)

Now I just have to figure out how to organically get my guys from departing the Facility to the final confrontation - already got the ending worked out, and I'm trying to make sure everyone I use in the tale gets their place in the sun. Hope to have it up sometime in the next day or so, assuming the heat wave we're going through just now doesn't shut my higher faculties down too much.

Thanks, that's much appreciated :cool: And as for the why, I'm just a very private person... my Facebook profile picture is of a model of the arc reactor I made, not a face pic :cool: (I blame being raised as an only child...)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I...don't quite get it, but I respect your position.

I will also note that I first found out about STO from the forums; I was searching for B&S one day and used Google instead of FFN, and landed on this site. After that, well, I'm a Trekkie and I like MMOs, so it was only a matter of minutes for me to download the game and get an account. :cool:

My above reply to jonsills may clarify :cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My above reply to jonsills may clarify :cool:

I see.

Maybe it's just introversion, my brother's like that. He's an incredible viola player, but he actively avoids photos and stuff.

Me, I was homeschooled from age 6 through 17, and I lasted 2 days in college before getting a schedule conflict between Anime Club and the Sci-Fi club. And it was less than 72 hours before I'd told all of my new friends about that one time when I was in the local paper for writing an angry letter to the local school board for their gross hypocrisy.

All a matter of personal preference, I guess.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've been stewing on the con-o-worms thing. I think I'm in the camp that says, "Thank you, worffan101, for offering to share critique from the group - only when asked".

Although I write for me, you guys and dolls, and anyone who chooses to read my ideas, and appreciate any feedback when it is offered, I am not going to solicit it. Maybe posting on the forums is tacitly asking for feedback?

I don't say it enough, but thank you all for taking the time to read my ideas :P
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I see.

Maybe it's just introversion, my brother's like that. He's an incredible viola player, but he actively avoids photos and stuff.

Me, I was homeschooled from age 6 through 17, and I lasted 2 days in college before getting a schedule conflict between Anime Club and the Sci-Fi club. And it was less than 72 hours before I'd told all of my new friends about that one time when I was in the local paper for writing an angry letter to the local school board for their gross hypocrisy.

All a matter of personal preference, I guess.

To quote Thomas Jerome Newton:

"My life is not secret, but it is private..."

Pretty much sums me up...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    To quote Thomas Jerome Newton:

"My life is not secret, but it is private..."

Pretty much sums me up...

I understand.

I like to keep certain details secret for basic safety, but I don't mind people knowing my approximate age, socioeconomic status, political views, tastes and preferences, et cetera. Just not stuff like my SSN or bank account PIN. ;)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stuck on a point of order here, and the Path to 2409 doesn't seem to exist in any searchable format any longer.

What is the status of Data in the STO timeline, currently? The latest reference I can find is an interview conducted by Jake Sisko in 2390, when Data was captain of the Ent-E.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Stuck on a point of order here, and the Path to 2409 doesn't seem to exist in any searchable format any longer.

What is the status of Data in the STO timeline, currently? The latest reference I can find is an interview conducted by Jake Sisko in 2390, when Data was captain of the Ent-E.

He's retired. Professor at either Oxford or Cambridge, and I'm too lazy to search and find out which.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Accolade/Lore
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Okay, that's searchable - but it's even less useful, as its last mention of Data comes from when, as captain of the Ent-E, he helped uncover the plotters behind an attack on an attempt to restart the Khitomer Accords (a meeting disrupted by the attack, and the death of Ambassador K'mtok).

I'll take Worffan's info, because I need to reference Data's current status in this story.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Worffan is correct he retired from starfleet and is a professor at one of those universities whichever one he wasn't in in all good things his last appearance was a short story where captain shon went to data for advice before he took captain of the enterprise f

i'm also trying the speech recognition for the first time on this and that is why i have no punctuation in this post

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Okay, that's searchable - but it's even less useful, as its last mention of Data comes from when, as captain of the Ent-E, he helped uncover the plotters behind an attack on an attempt to restart the Khitomer Accords (a meeting disrupted by the attack, and the death of Ambassador K'mtok).

I'll take Worffan's info, because I need to reference Data's current status in this story.

Google-fu found me a PDF version of the original Path page that somebody made.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Oh, and one of the stories is finally up. No title yet.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @icerose20 - Now THAT was a great read :) Loved all of it. Ren is o.O and the ending was chilling. Yeah, this was good.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Oh, and one of the stories is finally up. No title yet.

Excellent as usual. Lore is Lore, and intelligent, and evil. Drake's an assh*le, Grunt hates Drake (join the club, brother), and Turing's sacrifice made me actually cry.

Pity you didn't put Grunt in the Latinum Princess, but I suppose that the humor would only last so long.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The "stealing all the toilet paper" bit cracked me up. So did the muzak. And that's a far better death than Data v1.0 got.

Quite enjoyable, jonsills. Quick question, though, is the Ferenginar using the saucer from the Bedford? Saw that done in another fic.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    The "stealing all the toilet paper" bit cracked me up. So did the muzak.
    Thank you. I did kind of steal the muzak thing from a Niven tale, but it makes sense that at a remove of over four hundred years, the two might sound similar to modern 25th-century ears. (Can you name the differences between the stylings of, say, Vivaldi and Chopin?)
    Quick question, though, is the Ferenginar using the saucer from the Bedford? Saw that done in another fic.
    No, for a change Grunt's gotten two ships in a row that aren't cobbled together from the remains of other craft. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @worffan101

I'm usually uncomfortable with other people reading my work. To be honest, this community is the first place I've ever put my work up for the world to see. Its a good place and I'm comfortable here, you guys have been good to me. I'm my worst critic, so I'm always interested in seeing if what I think are 'weak spots' come across that way. If you can recall any feedback that DEA had of my work I'd appreciate it.

The action, pacing, and dialogue all felt like an episode of NCIS. N'Orlock sounded disturbingly like Ducky.

I used CSI as a template originally (hence the cold open), but I watch more NCIS than CSI, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. As for N'Orlock as Ducky, I didn't see that until I re-read it, and you're right, he sounds just like him. Which is okay by me.
    I enjoyed it. I hope that you keep doing LCs; you're really good at this!

Thanks! I hope to keep participating, I have a lot of fun with this, and find it nice to share my work with others.

Things are changing in my life right now, so I don't know what that means for my spare time. I'm hoping to do at least one LC a month now, though I'll try hard to do two.
    Also, the jab at the Iconians made me LOL so hard I spat lemonade on my keyboard.

Sorry. :)

@masopw
    so that's what CSI:Starfleet is gonna be like? Cool! (But now I've got the music cue after the 'yeaaah!' on loop in my mind...gotta hate it when that happens...)

Yeah, I don't know how I got there, but the story started out with me trying to find a way to do a CSI Miami cold open. The 'Yeah' statement, led to the creation of Ren, who was going to be a throw-away character, and ended up being critical. I'm not entirely happy with how I described him, but now that he's free in the world, I think he'll pop back up again.
    Love the dig at the lohlunat festival...I feel the same way!

I like the idea of using the festival as a backdrop for something, maybe a vacation day for Merrik, or maybe a way to introduce one of my Alts... Story aside, all I've done for the last month is run races, collect favours and tags... I think its one of the best ways to get dilithium, birds -> Marks -> Dil especially when you use fleet mark and dil weekends. That said, I am such a sucker for these 'free ships' festival game dynamics...

Thanks for all your feedback guys!

I'll try to get some reviews up before the 15th.

Merrik
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @ proteusrex: Unfortunately I do not remember what the Springhole guys thought of your story beyond general approval of the style and similarities to crime procedurals; I will share it with them again tomorrow. :)

And hey, no need to apologize, the keyboard can be cleaned and the laugh was SO worth it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @grylak - That was an interesting take on the prompt, very inventive. Per usual it was a great read. Thank you for reminding me about Farscape - that show was ahead of its time (imo).

@hawku001x - LOL. Ensign Dan gets relieved - that's all I was looking for :) So, the Eugenics Wars were started by Hollywood ... now we know the truth :D
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @proteusrex: Sorry for the delay, that was an excellent entry, and TRIBBLE really grew on me :cool:

@hawku001x: Was Jeffery a reference to JJ Abrams? Cool entry :cool:

@starswordc: Loved the result of the failure of the inertial dampeners, but I will admit, I was thrown a bit by the appearance of the Enterprise, which I might not have been had it simply been 'another missing ship' of the era... And an awesome use of augmentation :cool:

@jonsills: What can I say, other than congratulations Grunt :cool:
  • Options
    knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well mine's up-picked up the ball Patrickngo left, and ran with it :D hope ya enjoy.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @cmdrscarlet hollywood is the worstttttt

@marcusdkane i can neither confirm nor deny, nor not confirm // nice work -- the karrank}{ remind me of tellarites
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well mine's up-picked up the ball Patrickngo left, and ran with it :D hope ya enjoy.

Read this on the bus this morning... It kept me entertained :cool: