test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #65 - Myths & Lore - Discussion Thread

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I don't know that he could shrink much beyond the height and form he maintains, to be honest. But yeah, he'd know if he fits or not.
    Yes, I guess he is quite compacted already by his Human form...

Not well. The Devidian upper respiratory system is set up very differently from ours, mainly because of the lack of a larynx (totally different organ in a different placement, for speaking), and in natural form, an immobile mouth. When we hold our breaths we close our vocal cords and tighten the nasal vestibule, both of which Alyosha can't do. His instinct is to exhale against the water and attempt a powerful telekinetic burst to catapult out of the water or break free of whatever is trying to pull him under. If this fails and he is still pulled under, there's not much he could do...his only natural-form mechanism to avoid aspiration is exhalation. Attempting to shapeshift would probably cost too much energy and not happen quickly enough, or offer him enough protection.
    Yes, a large opening with no means of sealing would indeed be very dangerous in water, and indeed, exhalation would only work once, and if the shock of entering cold water was to affect a Devidian as it would a Human, that gasp may occur before the head even goes under :eek:

Understandable that would be a learned fear.
    Not so much a fear, as a hard reminder to ignore... All the time there's something to distract him, ie being chased and shot at by Romulan guards, he'd be too distracted, but sitting on the beach of Risa, for example...
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @worffan101 - This was great stuff! I wish to add more to the thought but I'm really liking what I read :)
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ladies and Gentlemen, it appears we've found the Cutting Room Floor edition of our film, and while we're sad to say it's not the complete and edited version, we've decided to screen it to you, our lovely audience for testing, until we locate the animation departments final draft.

Captain Proton: Featuring Chaotica's Bride and the Fifth Dimension Invaders

We hope you enjoy it, and leave feedback regarding continuity error, mispells[ <- Ergo, Had to do this one :D]

And Ladies and Bloaks, don't Forget!

We will soon be switching up to screen our other hit movies of the month, The Lonely Android and the Mutant Men, or our feature docudrama, The Multiverse through Movies.

We hope to see your lovely faces again, and get all the positive feedback we can!
    edited June 2014
    @masopw - The opening scene was great and you captured the Vulcan response perfectly (imo) - especially since that came back to the reader in the form of Sotek's response to the video ;) (AND my ship got name-checked - the answer is yes, yes we are :P) Yeah, this was a good entry!
    edited June 2014
    Now showing: Movies Through the Multiverse

It's a personal ending to the last LC where Gregs is stranded.
    A little dark for me.
  • masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @gulberat: thanks! Sorry you didn't enjoy the movie plot...I tried to figure out something nobody else would do. Glad you liked that Figler was a better rep to the Cardassian people than Durak was!

@worffan101: thank you! Also, thanks for the explanation as to the snacking order...that makes sense.

@sander233: thanks brah! Any other departments the Tiburon needs misbehaving officers in? ;)

@marcusdkane: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

@proteusrex: thanks! I went for the initial, "Man, is he gonna keep showing Cardassians in the same manner" then popped in the switch. I was going to initially keep the interplay going on longer but felt that Figler and Sotek couldn't keep a straight face for too long, as Nico was 'pinging'. Yep...there's gonna be sleaze from now to eternity. Just look at the 'net today...anything you type in to the search page is going to get a TRIBBLE hit as well. As for the crew...well...celebrate peace after a long time under fire and your judgement clouds as to what's acceptable. Icky providing real booze instead of synthehol...let's just say the young crew members are naive enough to believe that if Starfleet's let somebody on board in an official capacity, they wouldn't cause them harm, would they?

@cmdrscarlet: Thanks! Nico will get on that paperwork forthwith. After all the chances he blew, Kitrel will need a new home. And a new toothbrush...he wore his last one down to the handle scrubbing the starboard emergency Jeffries Tube from the front of the Bonaventure to the tip of the Rouge Valley! (One does *not* hide an Annoy-o-tron (TM) in the Captain's Ready Room.)

@aten66: Thank you! Ahh...the hate for Durak means y'all have created a recurring villain!

Now to catch up on the other tales - will post reviews in an edit to this post...

Reviews:
    @ryan218: Can't wait to see how he gets his ship back! (Quick nit...if you break up the scenes with a page break it might be an easier read. You've got a few quick scene changes, and I had to read it twice to figure out what was happening where.)

@aten66: Great channeling of Kim & Paris! That brain implantation that Braxton got...any more around? I think *I* need one to keep the game, comic, & novels from creating yet another paradox! ;)

...more to come...r/l has the nerve to interrupt my reading...
    edited June 2014
    @ryan218 - That was a big lead up to the commercial break! Part 2 prompt - chop chop :P

@aten66 (Part 1) - I wondered how tackling challenge 3 might look. I would like to watch the episode to see how the rewrite compares, but so far I'm liking it!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @masopw: PM incoming shortly. I wanted to explain myself more than I feel I can do here without severely detailing the thread.

(edit: PM now sent.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited June 2014
    Some reviews!!!

@Worffan101: *Shudders* I don't think I can look at you the same again, that's some scary stuff, and I read your Three/D'trel piece. I definitely liked the ending with the movie part, it made me cry a little. The good kind.:D

@Masopw: Loved the begining, especially threatening the kit with a spray bottle and a leash. I definitely liked the new Gul when you find out he was actually pranking him. I laughed in hte end, but really really wanted to see the jerk get his kermuffins.

@Ryan, simply put, I want to see part two already dang it!

@grylak: I'm a bit confused as to why they need lore, but I enjoyed the Suliban Cabal reference.

@MDK: Who are the Karrank}{ and why do they need }{? Loved it overall though, it was a pleasent and different read, something of a political problem that all captains seem to face in their journey.

@patrickingo: SO confused, but I find it interesting that they tried to stop the augments, though I did hate that one of them actually died doing it. Sad, but great read.

@hawku001x: Hillarious, a little fourth wall breaking when you think about it, but enjoyable to read.

Hope you guys liked what I came up with, and would like to know if anyone's seen any typos, my keyboards been cutting out on certain keys, and since the majority are still acceptable words, my computers spell check doesn't really correct me.

Hope we get to see some more stories coming in! Loved them all so far. :D:D
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @grylak: I'm a bit confused as to why they need lore, but I enjoyed the Suliban Cabal reference.

Kept purposefully vague in the story, as she is playing the typical Romulan long game and the why didn't add anything to the story, but there is a hint at the end. Hopefully the right prompt will come along that will let me finish this little plot D'Elon has been doing over the last 2 LC's.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited June 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    Who are the Karrank}{
    The Karrank}{ are essentially a race of six-legged angry SpaceBadgers patrickngo came up with as political rabble-rousers in our collaboration...
    and why do they need }{?
    Originally, they were going to have either an # or a % at the end, but while typing, I thought that a } and a { back to back looked kind of like a Cyrilic letter (at least it does in an editing app) and thought that might lend an extra 'alienness' about them, but they haven't officially been revealed yet ;)

Loved it overall though, it was a pleasent and different read, something of a political problem that all captains seem to face in their journey.
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :cool: Given I already cast my characters, I couldn't see the point in 'double casting' them by creating some 25th Century Hollywood Types to portay them fictionally, and having recently seen Full Metal Jacket (again) I got the inspiration of doing something like Joker's eventual assignment with Stars and Stripes, so threw in a few homages, as well as using the political backdrop of the collaboration as the catalyst for a 'hearts and minds' film rather than an entertainment holo :cool:
    edited June 2014
    @grylak - Very good lead in. I appreciated the use of the Typhon-class ship too. It added a sense of gravitas to the situation: big problem sometimes needs big solutions. As a side note - if Cryptic were to ever release that ship for the players ...
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @aten66 thx! i enjoyed yours as well-- fiendishly clever
  • masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @aten66: Thank you! Ahh...the hate for Durak means y'all have created a recurring villain!

Reviews:
    @ryan218: Can't wait to see how he gets his ship back! (Quick nit...if you break up the scenes with a page break it might be an easier read. You've got a few quick scene changes, and I had to read it twice to figure out what was happening where.)

@aten66: Great channeling of Kim & Paris! That brain implantation that Braxton got...any more around? I think *I* need one to keep the game, comic, & novels from creating yet another paradox!

@grylak: Love D'Elon's attitude!

@marcusdkane: I'm ROFLOL at the thought of Gunny Hartman in the 25th Century and the 'interesting' euphemisms he'd come up with! Great tale!

@patrickngo: I enjoyed it...found myself wanting more!

@hawku001x: I'm glad that in the future they take the time to replicate lighters instead of using an app for their PADD's @ concerts! Randomly know who Chekov is, forbidden joystick, and Galaxy saucer on a Constitution body...LOL!

@aten66: Awesome. Just awesome! (You asked for typos...the part "Your the fool then Ziny... they no me more". I'm guessing, "You're the fool then Ziny....they know me more...", right? And there are a couple of Tellaritte instead of Tellarite, too. :))
    edited June 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    @aten66: Great channeling of Kim & Paris! That brain implantation that Braxton got...any more around? I think *I* need one to keep the game, comic, & novels from creating yet another paradox!
    @aten66: Awesome. Just awesome! (You asked for typos...the part "Your the fool then Ziny... they no me more". I'm guessing, "You're the fool then Ziny....they know me more...", right? And there are a couple of Tellaritte instead of Tellarite, too. :))

1 I got to admit at least they had an unpleasant return home.

2 Nope, the Tholians only seem to work with uptime agents in the TIC, and Braxton being a core mess of time travel, well let's say they wanted him a sane man. Maybe even their temporal ambassador. *rimshot* :D

3 Thanks, I had more then enough "know" spelling mistakes, and truthfully no clue how to spell Tellarite. :P
    edited June 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    I'm ROFLOL at the thought of Gunny Hartman in the 25th Century and the 'interesting' euphemisms he'd come up with! Great tale!
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it :cool: 'Ensign Green' remembers him fondly :D
    edited June 2014
    @masopw haha you never know with kitbashing; anything goes // i liked your Director with the Yeah tattoos dancing to music only he heard
    edited June 2014
    @marcus - The interview-angle was great and the Karrank}{ are cool. The best part was the exchange between Davis and Mellvor}{. Good stuff.

@patrickngo - This is perfect. I would not add to it for this LC, maybe revisit it in another one for the 'long game', but otherwise this is the style I plan to write as well.

@hawku001x - Par for course. Seifer's persistent 'relieving' of his crew has become my favorite part. And I shuddered at the kitbashing as well.
    edited June 2014
    'ppppreciate it! i worry about Ensign Dan's mental health
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have an idea for the Dr. Chaotica prompt; it probably won't involve Voyager at all, because I have a buttload of trouble with writing Janeway as anything other than a sadistic psychopath, but it WILL involve photonic life-forms, a Lethean in drag, and a Jem'Hadar reading his lines woodenly as Captain Proton.
    edited June 2014
    The interview-angle was great and the Karrank}{ are cool. The best part was the exchange between Davis and Mellvor}{. Good stuff.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it :cool: Mellvor}{ was rather fun to write :cool:
    edited June 2014
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it :cool: Mellvor}{ was rather fun to write :cool:

He was a riot was what he was...

Now I absolutely MUST see a piece where Mellvor}{ and Pok Raban meet. I think the win would break the universe...
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    He was a riot was what he was...

Now I absolutely MUST see a piece where Mellvor}{ and Pok Raban meet. I think the win would break the universe...

Hmmm... How to get a Brikar down a Jeffries Tube... :confused:;) :cool:
    edited June 2014
    Hmmm... How to get a Brikar down a Jeffries Tube... :confused:;) :cool:

This is going to be an epic one, isn't it?

:eek:
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

This is going to be an epic one, isn't it?

:eek:

I think 'boggling' may be a more accurate description of such a meeting :D
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think 'boggling' may be a more accurate description of such a meeting :D

You could even say it'd have a 'rocky' start. :D

Sorry...
    edited June 2014
    @ryan - SHAME ON YOU!

@aten66 - Well, that answers what could happen when the Captains get switched clandestinely. I don't think it would ever work *because* of the camaraderie between crew and Captain - especially when there are more personal ties involved. Nice try MU, bt FAIL. On a side note (not that I have tried), but how did you get the Omega symbol in your post?
    edited June 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    You could even say it'd have a 'rocky' start. :D

Sorry...

:D

/10characters
    edited June 2014

@aten66 - Well, that answers what could happen when the Captains get switched clandestinely. I don't think it would ever work *because* of the camaraderie between crew and Captain - especially when there are more personal ties involved. Nice try MU, bt FAIL. On a side note (not that I have tried), but how did you get the Omega symbol in your post?

Fail indeed. Now to answer your second question...

*Goes to Fancy Library located in intricate mansion*

Ahh, here it is!

*Returns to type what is currently being written and ending with this period.*

Now, this is the intricate part here, you must follow my steps carefully....

Steps:
    1.Type Omega into search engine.
    2.Look for Wikipedia post on Omega.
    3. Copy and Paste this sentence. "Omega (capital: Ω, lowercase: ω; Greek Ωμέγα)"

*Or alternatively while quoting, copy the last character of the quote* Edit: *Also ignore all these rules if you quote, they were merely written because I had the time to be funny*

Ω
    edited June 2014