test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's time Cryptic put an end to Doff and Trait stacking

spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
Cryptic claimed they wanted to stop power creep by "changing" the rep system - but they have so far missed one major area - OP doffs and OP traits.

There is ZERO reason that some doffs and some traits should stack and others don't.

Cryptic - please make doffs and traits equal across the board - only 1 of each type allowed at one time. It's only fair to all the other types of traits and doffs that are not stackable.

This would be a big commitment to ending power creep.

Oh and PS - could you put Aux To Battery back on a shared cooldown with Emergency power to X?

Thanks.

Edit:

One way to start would be an diminishing return on more than 1 of the same type. A 50% reduction on each - so the 2nd gives just 50% bonus of the 1st and the 3rd gives 25% of the first.

As one poster suggested - one way to make it more fair would be allow ALL doffs to stack to 3 - but that would make some already super OP doffs - like super dupper OP stacked.
Post edited by spacebaronline on

Comments

• Options
    serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic claimed they wanted to stop power creep by "changing" the rep system - but they have so far missed one major area - OP doffs and OP traits.

There is ZERO reason that some doffs and some traits should stack and others don't.

Cryptic - please make doffs and traits equal across the board - only 1 of each type allowed at one time. It's only fair to all the other types of traits and doffs that are not stackable.

Oh and PS - could you put Aux To Battery back on a shard cooldown with Emergency power to X?

Thanks.

Onw way to start would be an diminishing return on more than 1 of the same type. A 50% reduction on each - so the 2nd gives just 50% bonus of the 1st and the 3rd gives 25% of the first.

I would have no problem if this happened. Except for the aux2batt shared cooldown with emergeny powers part. Otherwise it seems like your specifically targeting aux2batt boats.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,850 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You really think they care about the power creep much when just after the nerd they released the micro and that fed ship...the tempest?
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic claimed they wanted to stoAs longp power creep by "changing" the rep system - but they have so far missed one major area - OP doffs and OP traits.

Oh and PS - could you put Aux To Battery back on a shard cooldown with Emergency power to X?

Thanks.

Onw way to start would be an diminishing return on more than 1 of the same type. A 50% reduction on each - so the 2nd gives just 50% bonus of the 1st and the 3rd gives 25% of the first.

Yes, I would not mind if they put a2b on shard cd with epx . . . As long as they do not put them on SHARED cooldown :D.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    serevn wrote: »
    I would have no problem if this happened. Except for the aux2batt shared cooldown with emergeny powers part. Otherwise it seems like your specifically targeting aux2batt boats.

I'd have no problem either. Funny though, I thought of SRO stacking when reading the OP.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    angrybobh wrote: »
    I'd have no problem either. Funny though, I thought of SRO stacking when reading the OP.

Yes SRO trait stacking is OP - I don't think KDF or Fed have any OP boff traits left that stack. I believe the nerf to the Human hull healing trait fixed that issue.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't think doff stacking itself should be removed, but I do think that doff trait stacking somehow should, seeing as how there are multiple doffs of the same class that can have very different abilities.
    Yes SRO trait stacking is OP - I don't think KDF or Fed have any OP boff traits left that stack. I believe the nerf to the Human hull healing trait fixed that issue.

Honestly I think a better idea is putting a hard-cap on crit, as my sci-romulan beam boats benefits from SRO immensly to actually be "useful".
    And quite frankly its not really a problem with non-tac classes.

The problem with those epic alpha strikes that tacs have is they buff crit and crit damage, making for some pretty insane and unbalanced damage spikes.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't think doff stacking itself should be removed, but I do think that doff trait stacking somehow should, seeing as how there are multiple doffs of the same class that can have very different abilities.

Honestly I think a better idea is putting a hard-cap on crit, as my sci-romulan beam boats benefits from SRO immensly to actually be "useful".
    And quite frankly its not really a problem with non-tac classes.

The problem with those epic alpha strikes that tacs have is they buff crit and crit damage, making for some pretty insane and unbalanced damage spikes.

This is a valid point regarding that- perhaps a way to make it so that crit traits won't stack with Tactical captain powers that boost crit?

And yes - it's doff stacking and trait stacking of the same type(same effects) which is needs to be addressed. There is no reason that the some doffs/traits can be stacked yet other can't - it's arbitrary and unfair - let alone unbalanced.
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014
    You should have asked that before I grinded my life for a set of doffs.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Exactly, some of us worked for weeks to get this stuff. Additionally I use a2b on a cannon dreadnought where its needed, I don't lazily faw everything. I think along with that lazy setup is also the cloaked torpedo boats like the T'varo and B'rel who don't need to uncloak to fight anything and have all the maneuverability in the world to escape and do it cloaked with no problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I know how you feel after grinding 10 toons through the rep system - then having Cryptic "Change" it - but this is something that should have been addressed by the Devs long ago - and should have come with the rep changes if they are commited to stopping power creep.

Doffs with the same abilities and captain traits should NOT stack. It's totally arbitrary as there are only a limited number of ones that do. All doffs and traits should be treated equally and only allow 1 - there is no reason that some can and some don't.

Why - why can I not stack several Grav well doffs that boost a Grav wells abilities - but I can stack several doffs that let a player boost/overcap their system powers to crazy levels?

Why can Inspirational leader stack - but most of the other can't?
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know how you feel after grinding 10 toons through the rep system - then having Cryptic "Change" it - but this is something that should have been addressed by the Devs long ago - and should have come with the rep changes if they are commited to stopping power creep.

Doffs with the same abilities and captain traits should NOT stack. It's totally arbitrary as there are only a limited number of ones that do. All doffs and traits should be treated equally and only allow 1 - there is no reason that some can and some don't.

Why - why can I not stack several Grav well doffs that boost a Grav wells abilities - but I can stack several doffs that let a player boost/overcap their system powers to crazy levels?

Why can Inspirational leader stack - but most of the other can't?

I think the majority should stack to 3. Then keep it at 3. I also agree well should have stackable gravametric doffs as exotic sci's are penalized for no good reason.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd be fine with this, so +1.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Think there's a compromise that could be found between nerfing things and buffing things by not going to extremes while nerfing things and buffing things to balance things.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Think there's a compromise that could be found between nerfing things and buffing things by not going to extremes while nerfing things and buffing things to balance things.

Well I respect your input - so how would you deal with the fact that some doffs/captain traits can stack and others can't?

I suggested Cryptic add a diminishing return to the doffs. Perhaps allow all doffs /traits to stack to 3 and add the diminishing returns on all to make balance out?
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can shoot this down in 2 secs. People buy zen, then they buy keys then they sell keys. Then they buy romulans off the exchange that have superior Operative trait. Normally they do this 4 or 5 times. At anywheres between 10 and 15mil per. I'm sorry but, if you tamper with cryptics wallet at ANY angle no matter how small you think it might be. You're lucky to even be alive (jk,maybe). Thats what you get for playing a Free 2 play game. LOL\

P.S. On a side note, I agree with everything you said. Except like most ppl. The A2B needs left alone. Way and I mean Way 2 many ppl have too much money invested in their A2B builds. Same reason Bridge officer stacking won't be touched. I would estimate 25% of the player base would rage quit if this really did happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well I respect your input - so how would you deal with the fact that some doffs/captain traits can stack and others can?

I suggested Cryptic add a diminishing return to the doffs. Perhaps allow all doffs /traits to stack to 3 and add the diminishing returns on all to make balance out?

I'm just an average guy with opinions like anybody else. I see the issue as an extremely complex issue because of the multitude of layers involved.

Dropping everything down would still require balancing to take place, because certain things simply wouldn't be balanced with just one. Bumping everything up would still require balancing to take place, because certain things simply wouldn't be balanced with more than just one.

There are some that would be subpar even if bumped up to three and there are those that make others look subpar even though they're already restricted to one.

There are some major outliers that stand out like a sore thumb, though. Those could see a little tweaking down and a little tweaking up, eh?

Heck, there's even certain things that they might completely be removed from DOFFs and made into BOFF abilities.

There's all sorts of stuff there...that well, I doubt any of it will be adjusted until after X2 - getting into S10/S11, depending on how well X2 does.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    I can shoot this down in 2 secs. People buy zen, then they buy keys then they sell keys. Then they buy romulans off the exchange that have superior Operative trait. Normally they do this 4 or 5 times. At anywheres between 10 and 15mil per. I'm sorry but, if you tamper with cryptics wallet at ANY angle no matter how small you think it might be. You're lucky to even be alive (jk,maybe). Thats what you get for playing a Free 2 play game. LOL

So you are saying the game is "Pay to Win" and that's they way Cryptic wants it? :eek::P

Perhaps.

Then the idea of letting all doffs and paid for traits to stack to 3 would be perfect!! But to balance things out they should still add diminishing returns.

This way it would not be unfair to certain classes of doffs/traits
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm just an average guy with opinions like anybody else. I see the issue as an extremely complex issue because of the multitude of layers involved.

Dropping everything down would still require balancing to take place, because certain things simply wouldn't be balanced with just one. Bumping everything up would still require balancing to take place, because certain things simply wouldn't be balanced with more than just one.

There are some that would be subpar even if bumped up to three and there are those that make others look subpar even though they're already restricted to one.

There are some major outliers that stand out like a sore thumb, though. Those could see a little tweaking down and a little tweaking up, eh?

Heck, there's even certain things that they might completely be removed from DOFFs and made into BOFF abilities.

There's all sorts of stuff there...that well, I doubt any of it will be adjusted until after X2 - getting into S10/S11, depending on how well X2 does.

You make excellect points - as 3 Dem or 3 of the shield penetrating doffs - even with diminishing returns would be super OP.

But something should be done to balance this power creep out.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You make excellect points - as 3 Dem or 3 of the shield penetrating doffs - even with diminishing returns would be super OP.

But something should be done to balance this power creep out.

You can run 3x EWO BO Pen DOFFs. I'm still not sure how they stack. I asked in OPvP once, but I think I got two different answers. I was dorking around on Willard with a low power BO from an [Acc]x3 DBB trying to see what it would do for some OKS. But it really wasn't my playstyle and I forgot all about it...hrmmm...wonder how they stack.
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    u cant really nerf these doff, it would kill the eng class we have to find more build options honestly to work us out of this a2b mess and warp core power set ups......more build option other then what we have would lead to cheaper and better builds then a2b or warp core power set ups...... i will allways say this not even the best engineers could keep infinite power.... but i think we need new build options other then base ones like drain,power builds ,dps builds and exotic particle i think as we move further down the line i hope they come out with new bridge lay outs and new builds i think this would fix allot with out nerfing 35 percent of game
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    allso i spent allot of e.c on these doffs like every one else i like to see a work around that doesnt take more away from players then they allready have...... more build options is the only option or litterally take more away from 35 percent of the players thats a game killer there doom i say doom doom dooom danger will robinson danger......lets promote ideals that dont hurt the vetern players or take away from the engineer game plan either..............promote idieals that change the game but dont take away players or change the items we allready paid for i have had enuff of these ideal's that kill half my inventory and further limiting builds this leads us to power creep and arms race.........
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd be scorched earth about it and just take stacking out entirely.

As for those who suggest that their time spent building these stacked builds should prevent a nerf.....did they all make the same argument over the reputation trait nerf?

Because I spent a lot of time on that as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    going to tell u now they lost 15 percent of the players with nerf to rep they nerf doffs watch 15 percent drop more and bam game is dead with out doffs pvp builds are dead game is dead i hate ideals based solely on pve and not for both sides
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

As for those who suggest that their time spent building these stacked builds should prevent a nerf.....did they all make the same argument over the reputation trait nerf?

Because I spent a lot of time on that as well.

Yes I believe the best way to deal with it and make it fair to all the doffs/traits that don't stack - is just to remove all stacking - it's unfair and unbalanced.

S9.5 with it's changes to the doff system UI was just announced - so this would be a great time for them to implement the doff changes.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    why stop doff stacking cuz u dont want to spend money >>>>> these doffs are open to every so how is it unfair
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    i am so sick of new inttitle players crying over they dont want to spend a lil time or energy, but to here them cry over doffs cuz they dont want to do the missions or just grind like we all have...... to hear these players say this is unfair is lame and i think they7 are a lil lazy sorry to say........unfair bye the doff and build a counter build quit crying nerf
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

Even if you just removed stacking, you wouldn't have balanced things. You'd still have to balance the individual DOFFs.

Have to wonder if this will be moot, mind you - with all the "fun" that Crafting could involve. It's got to add to the powercreep in some way, otherwise there wouldn't be enough of a return on the investment from doing it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    this thread is so lame................. u are talking about nerfing a entire doff system over some one being better then u and now u dont want to do rep so u dont want to doff grind whats next...... i wonder if they nerf every part of the game for the fp2 crowd would ne would spend ne money on there builds if they were all boreing?????????? seriously just bye the doffs like every one else u might cry over prices u can buy allmost every doof u need for some bad TRIBBLE builds for very lil dilithium for god sakes nerf doffs really thats nuts just go to a tier 5 base and buy doffs then u dont pay millions wtf
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    cody0893 wrote: »
    this thread is so lame.................

Some of the tear-soaked replies are kind of entertaining...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    just pointing nerfing doffs wont stop the unbalance issue's actually would hurt 35 percent of all fed builds and make the battle cloak even more op...... nerf doffs i laugh at this would hurt the game sorry how many quit playing over nerfs to rep it didnt help either takeing more away from players isnt the way to fix this issue when all it will do make them run 2 copie of the skill like 2 a2b with shared cool down of 10 seconds lol u wont stop the power creep u will make em stronger