test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Average builds, average DPS, but having fun...

virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
Note3: Yeah, there's a pattern here. Decided just to remove the DPS/parse stuff. Simpler that way, eh?

Note2: The second note before the first! Yeah, wanted to add this because it's come up in some of the replies - I've replied in some of the replies to the replies - but kept forgetting to come back to this first post...the DPS angle, the parse stuff, etc, etc, etc - it's mainly just there as part of the first note below. They're not High DPS builds. It's not really a case of fixating on the DPS - had hoped with the term "average" that it would be a kind of vague thing. I guess with my being specific in this post though, it gave it more specificity than intended. Was just included to reinforce that they weren't High DPS builds.

Note: None of the following should be considered build recommendations in the least. They're not optimized for anything - neither PvE nor PvP. They're just my current builds (incomplete builds at that) and what I'm flying. If you're looking for build recommendations, I highly suggest you seek out the various experts on builds...based on how you fly, what you fly, and the content you want to do - they'll usually be more than happy to help you get where you're trying to get and maybe even beyond.

That being said, these are my current builds (incomplete builds at that) with a random PUG parse taken to reflect the average at best DPS they each do. It's part of what's in the description for this section of the forums, I'm a little bored - so I figured I'd share. (Besides, it's stopping me from creating a Ferengi named Merrill to fly a Risian Luxury Cruiser...I don't want to do that - need to keep myself busy!)

Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
This is where you can share builds, and post your feedback on powers and game mechanics (including Bridge Officers) in Star Trek Online.

Perhaps others will share their average builds doing average DPS where they're still actually having fun, eh? It's the School of Wheeee - flying around without too much of a care, getting the job done, and just going wheeeeeeeee!

There's not going to be any narrative about any of the selections or the like...they're not recommendations, no need for those kind of explanations. Besides, to be honest - some of it is just cause it looks cool. :D

The parses aren't high/low parses, they're just random parses from random PUGs run for this particular post. They might be high/low compared to the usual...they might just be what it's like on average. Don't know...don't care...wheeeeeee!

Willard the Rat, Reman Sci, Fleet T'varo

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=willardtvaro_5343

Rave, Joined Trill Sci, Kar'Fi

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ravekarfi_5343

Mysk, Gorn Sci, Varanus

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=myskvaranus_5343

Maal, Klingon Eng, Mogh

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=maalmogh_5343

Vegar, Orion Eng, Marauder

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=vegarmarauder_5343

R'ebel, Romulan Eng, Haakona

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=rebelhaak_5343

Nivuh, Ferasan Tac, B'rel

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=nivuhbrel_5343

Venit, Lethean Tac, Mirror Qin

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=venitqin_5343

Kopor, Nausicaan Tac, Guramba

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=koporguramba_5343

So do you have an average build with average DPS but you're still having fun...?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2014

So do you have an average build with average DPS but you're still having fun...?

What do you mean with average build and (especially) average dps?
  • jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Well, thank you for asking. Yes, Virus. Yes, I do. I've never had much of the min/max approach to PvE. I tend to fly whatever I feel is amusing while still pulling my weight.

Both Hadrian and Aurelius are torpedo boat builds. Hadrian in a T'varo, Aurelius in a B'rel. Hadrian is a relatively new char - even fleetless - so I haven't gotten him much besides some standard blue stuff, but he does alright. He's very much a work in progress. I intend for him to be more on the PvP side of things and sticking to transphasics. Jam Sensors, Tractor Beam, drop some Nukara mines and a cluster torpedo before flying off.

Aurelius, on the other hand, is much further in the building process. His B'rel is not unlike your T'varo, but more science focused. There's something quite Wheeee about dropping Gravity Wells everywhere and bombarding the unsuspecting target(s) with brightly coloured rifts from the Gravitimetric Photon. It sure as hell is more fun than mashing a spacebar and winning. Oh, and I also drop some Nukara Mines because those things are pretty (and quite deadly, if they grab something).

Julius, right now, is mostly flying around in his Galor. I'm farming the Undine battlezone for marks, and that area is a total lagfest for me. Aux2Bat Galor makes it easymode, because going in with my trusty B'rel and not knowing whats happening for 2-3 seconds at a time can become quite frustrating. His B'rel is a standard vaper, with some fancy toys added to it for MOAR DAKKA. Enhanced Inertial Dampener thingy with Subspace Jump is a fun maneauver to pull. Also, I've been doing the Alptraum-maneuver for a bit, which is quite fun, although hard to time. Basicly, you decloak, hit Impulse Burst, Subspace Jump and hope for your torpedo's and Beam Overload to vape someone while you zoom off at crazy speeds.

With Marcellus, I like to go particle generator crazy and see how high I can get my Thalaron in a Tulwar - or whatever the sci version is called. Get 5 particle generators consoles, a good low HP GDF, TF, Alpha, Omega 3, EptA3 and see where it goes.

Rujan is the same: For PvE I load up on particle generators, Gravi torp, and smack everything around with TBR+Pull, Gravity Wells and Gravi torp rifts. It's so pwetty.

--

Now that I think of it, most of these are just a bit silly, not at all optimized for PvE but fun to fly. I hope that counts too.

--

Also:
    School of Wheeee

should totally be a fleet.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
    edited June 2014
    Oh, and: Ramming Speed. I kinda like using it whenever it comes off cooldown. I can spare the 15 seconds waiting to respawn and it just feels right shouting 'PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED'.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    What do you mean with average build and (especially) average dps?

Average could mean so many things - I'm going with the very loose definition/classification of something that's simply not optimized/built out/etc/etc/etc. There's all sorts of great information out there for folks looking to fly optimized builds for PvE and PvP.

Some of us just like to tool around - fly whatever grabs us at the moment or for whatever reason - and have fun that way...

I rerolled seven guys for 2014, deleting eight from last year. I decided to go all KDF (outside of the KDF-aligned Reman)...and...I decided I'd fly one of each "type" of KDF ship.

Raider - B'rel
    Raptor - Mirror Qin
    Battle Cruiser - Mogh
    Flight-Deck Cruiser - Marauder
    Support/Science Vessel - Varanus
    Carrier - Kar'Fi

Looking at different ships, I decided why not match up some species and take it from there.

Marauder (Orion) - tada, Orion.
    Varanus (Gorn) - tada, Gorn.
    Guramba (Nausicaan) - tada, Nausicaan.

Then it got a little complicated, kind of - sort of - not really.

Dropped the Klingon in the Mogh...cause. Just cause.
    Ferasan went in the B'rel, doing that predator sort of thing.
    Joined Trill went in the Kar'Fi, doing that sort of alien thing.
    Lethean...got what was left, lol.

Then it was a case of scoping out the various Rep sets...doing the "oh, that might look cool on this boat - that might look cool on that boat"...with the Lethean getting what was left. Poor guy, eh?

And basically just building out from there...

Wasn't a case of looking to build any sort of uber optimized boat for PvE or PvP - just average fun builds...wheeeeee!
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Oh, and: Ramming Speed. I kinda like using it whenever it comes off cooldown. I can spare the 15 seconds waiting to respawn and it just feels right shouting 'PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED'.

Heh, my miss rate for trying to ram Gates is pretty bad. I'll usually leave Ramming Speed off my bars or hidden back somewhere. I'd probably have a better chance of ramming a Gate if I triggered Ramming Speed and waited for it to come to me.

Though, I've had all sorts of luck having pets fly into me while trying to do a Ramming Speed in PvP...all sorts of luck - none of it good - but all sorts of luck!
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Now that I think of it, most of these are just a bit silly, not at all optimized for PvE but fun to fly. I hope that counts too.

Yeah, just the average fun to fly ships...silly or not, or definitely silly, it's all good. Basically do folks have fun running stuff that's not optimized out the wahzoo (not that folks don't have fun doing that, plenty of folks do - we see the threads all the time - but where are the threads from folks just tooling around and having fun?)...
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My most fun average build. A canon inspired fleet Defiant. Did good dmg in PvE though never parsed it.
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=panserscanonfleetdefiant_0
    edited June 2014
    My most fun average build. A canon inspired fleet Defiant. Did good dmg in PvE though never parsed it.
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=panserscanonfleetdefiant_0

Do the Phaser Quads make the same aggressive sound? Don't have them...but it's trip listening to the Disruptor Quads.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Virus, I am so glad you started this thread. I, too just try whatever looks like I'll have fun with. Too many people posting here take this game far too seriously. Currently I am working up a Mirror Mogai Retrofit as a Drain Boat just to see what can be done. I have spent the last month just tinkering around with it to see just how far I can take it. It will never be a DPS Monster but it is enjoyable to stop something dead in its tracks during an ESTF or while swanning about in Ker'rat. It isn't a cloaked vaper build, either. Too much fun for them to see me coming and be able to shrug off whatever it is they shoot me with. :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited June 2014
    Oh, for a while I put single cannons on my Temporal Science Vessel. EptE + EptS and Aux2Dampeners for Engineers, and TT1/CSV1/CSV2 for the tactical slot. It's wildly ineffective, but a good bit of fun.
  • yargomeshyargomesh Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here's my build:
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=towconcordia_0

Been refining it since the pre-f2p days and is pretty much my preferred ship. Don't have any recent parses since I barely run ISE anymore and I pretty much only PuG.
    Tend to get first place in Gorn Minefield and the rare occasion that Klingon Scout Force actually pops when the daily's up for it. PvE only.

Can't wait until I get my hands on a Risian Corvette and seeing what kinda rainbow/pseudo rainbow boat I can make of it. (Mainly looking at the Obelisk 360 beam + warp core and taking the whole 'party' thing to the extremes.)

Edit: Bah, forgot to include using Tac Team with the cycle. Oh well.
    edited June 2014
    Just wanted to note that the parses were just for that combination of:

They're not build recommendations.
    These aren't going to be high DPS builds.

That's all. :D

In the past when I've posted a build, heh, I've put so many "not a recommendation" comments in (Hell, that's how I started off the OP in the thread) - that there's almost as much "don't fly this" as there is info about the build, lol.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    More people need to be reminded more often we're supposed to play this game for the fun of it. Which was your intent, I am pretty sure. :)
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I gotta ask: Why a beam, but without the ability to actually fire it? Should stick in a dual cannon or something, to look cooler and have more pew emitting from various points on the shipr, and punt the inoperable beam back with the turret.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    I gotta ask: Why a beam, but without the ability to actually fire it? Should stick in a dual cannon or something, to look cooler and have more pew emitting from various points on the shipr, and punt the inoperable beam back with the turret.

I'm not that great of a pilot (I'm a pretty crappy pilot). Better pilot could manage the Experimental from the back for the Hyperflux while running a DHC/DC/whatever fore. That's not me though...so I went with sticking it up front for the Hyperflux.

Still can't decide if I want to go DHCs or Cannons - with the way I fly it, it's more of the park 'n sit than I'm used to, so DHCs would probably make sense - but the stream of Cannon fire has that stream thing going for it. Still don't know about that. They're all builds in progress.

But yeah, the Experimental's up front for the Hyperflux cause I couldn't fly that to land it from aft.
    edited June 2014
    More people need to be reminded more often we're supposed to play this game for the fun of it. Which was your intent, I am pretty sure. :)

There was the discussion going on about the Sci Ody - that I didn't want to distract from. There was the discussion going on about where's the fun. There was me raging at Cryptic in another thread for inconsistencies, RNG, bugs, etc, etc, etc.

But most of all, I had actually gotten a Ferengi Tac named Merrill to level 5...and I just had to stop that! :P

edit: Though, honestly - I like the dark gray of AKHG on the Mogh, the light gray of Nukara on the Varanus, and the mixed gray of Dyson on the Kar'Fi. I think the Borg's going to look nifty on the Marauder. The Counter-Command stuff should go well with the green that the Haywire Guramba is already doing (avatar).

There's a lot of folks turning the game into work - this is a grind, have to do this, have to do that...stuff will happen when it happens, might as well have fun along the way.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I have a couple cobbled-together builds that were just me tinkering and finding something that worked despite my best efforts to just toss points in as I went along... my most "average" guy is a Reman Engineer that I cobbled together using some quality "vendor trash" and a couple consoles from a couple Dyson Rep crates. I know, no Beam: Overload on a Mogai? Cannon: Scatter Volley? And torpedoes? But, he's fun, and I haven't even bothered with proper Rep or Fleet equipment, so :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited June 2014
    But, he's fun...

That's kind of the gist of it, no? There would be all sorts of folks that would be roaring to tell folks that they're doing it wrong - pointing out this or that about a build that's off; but how is it wrong? It might be wrong for what that person is thinking about, but not everybody's doing that - not everybody's thinking that way. Not everybody's going to make the investment in every build they've got - they're going to have their tinker builds, they're test builds, they're partial builds...the stuff they've just stumbled upon that they enjoy.

Maybe they'll upgrade some of the gear down the road - maybe they'll tweak the build down the road...maybe not. They're having fun now - they're enjoying themselves now. No pressure...just wheeeeeee!

I just know from personally experience, that when I start feeling like I need to do something in a game - I just don't enjoy the game as much. The more serious I find myself taking it - the less I find myself enjoying it. That's not a case of saying folks shouldn't take it seriously or anything like that - goes back to that fun thread. Different folks have fun in different ways. There was a time when I took things all sorts of serious...it's not a case I moved beyond that - it just changed. It's neither better nor worse - just different.

I think it's amazing some of the stuff folks out there can do - and - if they're having fun...that's awesome. There's stuff that I /facepalm at that folks do - but - if they're having fun...that's awesome. It's a game...should be fun.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Or just build a solid ship full of 'because its cool' stuff, then kick back while flying it. 20k beam boat, recline the captain's chair and activate Emergency Power To Footrest, and transmit Jammin on all frequencies. You drop to 5k and just cruise along. So much more relaxing.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I for my part find it fun to destroy large groups of enemies in short time. Gives a Q-like feeling ;)
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited June 2014

didn't know that below average gear and average boff setup had the monopoly on fun in STO...gotta try it.
    In real life when i have to choose between an average meal and an excellent meal, i allways go for the average...it is so much more fun [/sarcasm]
    Go pro or go home
  • schnirselschnirsel Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    didn't know that below average gear and average boff setup had the monopoly on fun in STO...gotta try it.
    In real life when i have to choose between an average meal and an excellent meal, i allways go for the average...it is so much more fun [/sarcasm]

Bad comparison is bad.
    [sarcasm]
    Because yeah.. beating ISE in under a minute is so fun. Or beating CSE with 12 mins left on clock. Yes that is sooo much fun.
    [/sarcasm]

I got a fleetmate (actually the founder of my fleet) who likes to take T1 and T2 ships and make them work. No fleet or rep gear, just basic stuff and she does quite well. To each his own.

Topic:
    My KDF engy flew a mirror Voquv for a very very long time. Not much rep gear beyond standard Omega stuff.

I.K.S. Ghuy Cha
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=budgetmirrorvoquv_6266

I don't parse myself but I remember someone parsing it at 12k DPS in a KASE. Most of the DPS are from pets though. BoP HY quantums hit often and hard for 20-40k, especially when buffed by cycling APB for nearly 100% uptime. Sometimes the pets even bugged out and stacked beta on targets with 6 betas at times only from me. Dunno if that still works.. been a few months since I took this ship out for a spin. Got replaced by a Mirror Neghvar for the time being. The fun thing about this build is trying to keep (BoP) pets alive, since they are my main source of damage.
    6pvmjHk.gif
    edited June 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    I for my part find it fun to destroy large groups of enemies in short time. Gives a Q-like feeling ;)
    baudl wrote: »

Pretty sure that thunderfoot's comment was about folks not having fun...so folks having fun already, not sure why they would have had anything to say other than they agree - otherwise, they're basically saying that folks shouldn't have fun in a game. That's just kind of twisted...

There are folks that take the game very seriously...but they're still having fun. That's great.
    There are folks that stress about the game...but it's still fun for them. That's great.
    There are folks that take the game very seriously and stress about it...but they're not having any fun. That kind of sucks, no? They need to be reminded that it's a game and it should be fun, no?

Simple as that...simple as that...
    edited June 2014
    schnirsel wrote: »
    The fun thing about this build is trying to keep (BoP) pets alive, since they are my main source of damage.

Heh, I've done that (mind you, I wasn't very good at it - but it was fun trying to do it). Trying to do the carrier thing where you try to keep the pets going rather than them just being an infinite supply of fodder - focusing on them as the main source of damage. Different things for different folks and all that, but yeah - was definitely fun for me to give that a go. And the Mirror Vo'Quv was a decent/inexpensive ship for trying to do that, no doubt...

And yep, looking at the build - that's along the way that I did it. I was there to support the pets. Dropping out some beta and fingers crossed for Disruptor procs, trying to get the shields down so they could light the targets up.

As for the DPS, I really need to edit the first post - wasn't asking that anybody else drop out any parses, just dropped them out for the builds I had to further reinforce that the builds weren't high DPS builds and the like. That they weren't recommendations for folks looking for that sort of thing - or - looking for PvP builds. That's usually what we see getting shared...optimized boats for PvE and PvP. Awesome - helps countless folks to reach their goals. Just a case that not everybody's got the same goals, and while I see a bunch of threads from folks celebrating/enjoying other casual aspects of the game...haven't really see too much on just plain ol' casual/average having fun builds.

Think the seed got planted for the thread a wee while ago, talking to somebody in another thread about how I liked to fly some goofball stuff...they said they did too from time to time. Got me wondering about how many other folks out there just like to fly whatever for whatever reason...as long as they were having fun doing it.
  • schnirselschnirsel Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Heh, I've done that (mind you, I wasn't very good at it - but it was fun trying to do it). Trying to do the carrier thing where you try to keep the pets going rather than them just being an infinite supply of fodder - focusing on them as the main source of damage. Different things for different folks and all that, but yeah - was definitely fun for me to give that a go. And the Mirror Vo'Quv was a decent/inexpensive ship for trying to do that, no doubt...

I worked alot with the carrier commands to make the BoP pets work. They can stand some punishment, but not much. Used recall mode to make them cloak, sometimes even dock. When attacking a cube I waited for one facing to go down before launching my four BoPs into battle.
    This often caused the BoPs to attack like I wanted them to.. dropping their CRF and HY torps at the right shield facing. Made me often go wow since sometimes I took a cube down faster than two or three decent escorts (especially when most HY torps had a crit).
    But the other side of the coin was that sometimes the pet AI bugged out, BoP pets getting stuck or not reacting to carrier commands like they should. Because of that I switched one Hangar to adv. Toduj fighters. Gave me some decent cannon fodder and worked better with one Hangar of BoPs. When I used two BoP hangars I was either ubereffective or all my BoPs died like flies and I was looking at very long CD's.

It was still much fun to go into some PVE content with my own little Attack Squadron.

Got other wacky builds too. Like my speedtanking Excelsior that runs a torpedo launcher in front and aft and torp spread instead of FAW. Some ppl call it a kirking build. I rather call it suluing. :o
    U.S.S. Teutoburg
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ussteutoburg_6266

Even used it in pvp sometimes, with varying success. Could put the Gravitorp in the front or get the Biotorp. But I really love hearing that old school photon torpedo sound. :P
    I also went with Mimey's advice of dropping fleet shields for a full MACO set.
    6pvmjHk.gif
    edited June 2014
    Heh, I've got a definite fondness for torps. Torp Negh'Var was kind of a trip. Torp D'deridex really pushed my piloting skills. I tried a Torp Bortas once...once...lol.
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Do the Phaser Quads make the same aggressive sound? Don't have them...but it's trip listening to the Disruptor Quads.

They do have a unique sound effect, sounds just like the Defiant firing in DS9. Pretty rad.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I have no idea of the DPS, but my current fun ship is a Mirror Somraw Raptor Refit (Undine Lockbox). I wanted to mess with Refracting Tetryons on a Raptor, but I also wanted to incorporate Gravity Well and Cannon Scatter Volley. The Mirror Somraw lets me use GW1 and C:SV3. I also picked up the Apex Predator set from the lobi store during the recent lobi sale.

Now I use GW1, C:SV3 and follow up with a Snipe Shot. It meets my personal level of "kills fast enough" so it makes me happy.

"Over-running" a target with the tethered mines also makes me smile. "And you fail to realize my ship is dragging mines!".
    edited June 2014
    I wish there were more costume options for the Somraw, but yeah - I bounce back and forth between the Mirror Qin and Mirror Somraw on my Lethean Tac there - the Mirror Somraw allowing for some fun stuff I can't do on the Mirror Qin. Just wish there were more options for how it looks, lol...
  • innuwarriorinnuwarrior Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like this thread, having fun playing with a particular built is more rewarding than most anything else. I may or may not be a better pilot than you but your knowledge of the mechanic and inner working of this game is much greater than me. But knowledge with having fun is even better. The game is a game and should not only be a mean to accumulate whatever you need to be better than everyone else. I have toons that easily pass 20k dps, I could apply on those qualifying missions to be part of the 20k channel but haven't bothered and most likely will not too. Here why.

I've been told in a few Red Alert in sector space that I was no fun to have around, most things were dead before they could shoot even a few shots, that I was taking all the challenge and fun out of it. Didn't think much of it until I went into a pugmade team shortly after one instance with a couple scimitars. I had my sci torp boat and my science toon, plasma torp built. Opening cube and sphere, basically none of my torpedos hit anything but warp core breach. Go right a few hits but not much to do since everything melted so fast, one scimi was very low on health, I heal him and get a mouthfull as thanks because I ruined his GDF :( .

Getting to the point, those 2 Scimitar took out any kind of fun and challenge out of that missions. I just got to use GW so they could kill everything even faster and get to the next mission hoping it would be more fun and actually have some to do other than use GW to make everything disappear faster by someone else. Sure I got a few hits and still contributed around 4-5k but I was left like, where's the fun in that. I understood what those other ppl were meaning when saying that I was no fun with my high dps toons and ships, I understood what they were on about. You go in to kill enemy just to have you torpedo spread hit a bunch of warp core breach and your energy weapons hardly hit anything at all, because someone got there first and killed everything in record time. In the end it makes it an empty victory even if its a successful mission.

Its fun to weee!!! too. The important thing is, you don't need to have killer builts to have fun and should not have to have one to be part of any team and have a meaningful experience, white MK X weapons will do enough damage to do any contents and have fun. Too much dps can be detrimental to the fun of someone else playing with you. Not everything is a race and we don't need high dps built to complete any content in this game.

I could optimize my built to have even more dps but what for? Bragging right? I don't need that. Kill everything even faster, I can already kill things fast enough to annoy other ppl with some of my toons.

Finally, for those that have been playing this game a while, remember when doing any stf needed real teamwork and coordination, 10% rules? Kang duty was actually hard and needed and escort to have the required DPS or a good healer to keep Kang alive, when a 10k dps escort was a real good pilot and most cruiser pilot rarely cracked 3k dps? Power creep and dumbed down NPC is making most mission a breeze and min/maxing is not required anymore.

Good thread :D
    Jamal : Tactical space specialist. USS Bug Warrior and many others
    E'Mc2 : Science Reman torp T'Varo, deadly annoyance :P
    Kunmal: Tactical fed Klingon, ground specialist, USS Kanewaga
    Ka -tet Tier 5 fleet fully completed Starbase and fleet property
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2014
    +1 to OP(and others). I am inspired to go build my very own wheeeee boat!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie