What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No Undine Ship

Comments

• Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Aye, I made this mistake with lockboxes more than once. Live and learn now if there's a lockbox/lobi ship I want I get it off the Exchange. Even the few among the Elite can and will TRIBBLE up some days.

*Does a premature dance* Askray, I SUMOM YOU!
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    *Does a premature dance* Askray, I SUMOM YOU!

Wait, this isn't a necro thread?

Let the OP have his vent. Jeeze people. Is it so hard to believe that sometimes people do something in a video game that frustrates them. And that they feel the need to vent about that on the forum related to that video game?

EDIT:

And also I don't get the thing where people call the OP impatient. The Nicor's been out for over a month now. If the OP were that impatient, why'd they wait until the end of May to play the lockbox lotto?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Keep trying, eventually you have enough Lobi to buy yourself one of the Lobi Store ships!

You probably still won't win the Nicor ship, of course. The odds are not in your favour.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ddemlongddemlong Member Posts: 294
    edited June 2014
    Got my Nicor on the 19th box opened with keys bought with EC. :cool:
    I use to do 100K DPS, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 242658 (243540) Kinetic Damage (Critical) to you.
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Have I not seen this thread before?
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Have I not seen this thread before?

Sure... Every day since the Original Red Box from the first winter event
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Sure... Every day since the Original Red Box from the first winter event

No, I mean this precise thread, and the precise words, and the precise grammar(?).
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And also I don't get the thing where people call the OP impatient.

Not so hard to figure out, actually:
    i think it's a bunch of BS ihave spent around 200 dollars on keys and not one time did i get an Undine Vesselof any kind just 4 frakkin mirror ships.

Setting an arbitrary limit of having opened "X" boxes and (apparently) insisting one has been somehow cheated by not getting a guaranteed win? I'd call that impatient, myself. Perhaps mixed with a combination of buyer's remorse and/or entitlement, but impatience to be sure. Not sure how one could consider a foot-stamping "why haven't I been given my due yet" rant anything else, really.

-shrug-
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i think it's a bunch of BS ihave spent around 200 dollars on keys and not one time did i get an Undine Vesselof any kind just 4 frakkin mirror ships. you all should start having random key drops so that everyone that plays can have a chance to open a lock box of some sort.

Nicor Cruiser is selling for about 139 Million EC on the Exchange and that price is dropping every day ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i think it's a bunch of BS ihave spent around 200 dollars on keys and not one time did i get an Undine Vesselof any kind just 4 frakkin mirror ships. you all should start having random key drops so that everyone that plays can have a chance to open a lock box of some sort.

lawl, another one bites the dust :D:D:D
    But in all seriousness, meet me in QonoS and I will buy you a drink and introduce you to a few orion chicks.

Edit: I almost forgot to write: Thank you for your contribution.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Self entitlement much?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, I mean this precise thread, and the precise words, and the precise grammar(?).

I think it is the same guy every time a new lock box comes out. But you are right, I feel like I've read this same post with each different box/Doff pack 15 times over now, and it always seems to be 200$(magic number?). It must be that deja'vu glitch the matrix has when they change something in the program. :eek:
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    t0xsick2 wrote: »
    I think it is the same guy every time a new lock box comes out. But you are right, I feel like I've read this same post with each different box/Doff pack 15 times over now, and it always seems to be 200$(magic number?). It must be that deja'vu glitch the matrix has when they change something in the program. :eek:

*looks at OP's joining date, looks at current time stamp* hmmm.... (assuming I can give the joining date any amount of credibility.) What say you?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    *looks at OP's joining date, looks at current time stamp* hmmm.... (assuming I can give the joining date any amount of credibility.) What say you?

Yeah I looked at that to, it's more of a joke than anything though. The point is that the threads like this and others like it are basically almost identical every time. It's like they come off an assembly line in china somewhere lol
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Maybe 200 $ really is a magic number? The threshold for F2P customers to acquire any particular item perhaps? Or at least one common threshold?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I tried the old open the box method, and I didn't just open a few box's, I opened a lot, Usually I have pretty good luck getting ships. No joke as I own every single lockbox ship to date. But the undine one was prob the first box ive had trouble with getting a ship. So I stopped, sold some keys on the exchange and grabbed the ship, don't see me crying over all the box's I opened without any sign of ship. Its all part of gambling, there's always risks, sometimes your lucky sometimes your not.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Maybe 200 $ really is a magic number? The threshold for F2P customers to acquire any particular item perhaps? Or at least one common threshold?

Come to think of it, usually the odds when calculated from a large enough sample or opened boxes for getting a ship are 0.50% so $200 would be about right. But according to the laws of RNG it is possible you could open 2000 and not get a darn thing.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited June 2014

More likely it's the largest amount of Zen you can buy in Dollars. (UK player, so I'm guessing)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Come to think of it, usually the odds when calculated from a large enough sample or opened boxes for getting a ship are 0.50% so $200 would be about right. But according to the laws of RNG it is possible you could open 2000 and not get a darn thing.
    How

The likelihood of not getting a box after 200 tries with a probability of 0.5 % should be about 36.7 %. Still pretty big. At 2000, it's about 0.004 %. That's a lot less unlikely. But still possible, of course.

(I remember correctly that 1 $ equates to about 1 Key, right?)
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    More likely it's the largest amount of Zen you can buy in Dollars. (UK player, so I'm guessing)

Makes sense.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    How

The likelihood of not getting a box after 200 tries with a probability of 0.5 % should be about 36.7 %. Still pretty big. At 2000, it's about 0.004 %. That's a lot less unlikely. But still possible, of course.

That is the point, RNG does not operate on the probability of how many boxes you have opened before hand. it is 1/200 odds on every try. What i meant is if you have really crappy luck that's how the numbers are going to work for you. It is not a guaranteed thing as some of the ppl who whine about spending so much and not getting a ship would like to believe.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In Star Trek Online the Lockbox Game plays YOU!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Star Trek Online the Lockbox Game plays YOU!

But in STO you can sell the coins to the ppl who like playing the slot machines in order to buy the jackpot :D
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014

The OP forgot to mention that he's 8 years old, So how does cryptic legally solicit gambaling to children again.
    I'm jk of course. Why am I not laughing tho.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But in STO you can sell the coins to the ppl who like playing the slot machines in order to buy the jackpot :D

I've been with the game since it released but had a 2 year hiatus. That said, I have known people ingame and have heard the horror stories of those spending *absolutely ridiculous* amounts of real money on the Lockbox game in order to get a desired Lockbox ship. There are some that get ridiculously lucky. But there's more horror stories than the feel-good ones. Everything from people spending hundreds, and some over a thousand dollars and not get the ship.

Regardless: Cryptic thanks the suckers for getting played.

And it's also an opportunity for others to exploit those fools.

When a new Lockbox comes out, STO is like a documentary showing a pride of lions (Cryptic & Exploiting Players) rip apart some gazelle (Players Playing the Lockbox Game).
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I've been with the game since it released but had a 2 year hiatus. That said, I have known people ingame and have heard the horror stories of those spending *absolutely ridiculous* amounts of real money on the Lockbox game in order to get a desired Lockbox ship. There are some that get ridiculously lucky. But there's more horror stories than the feel-good ones. Everything from people spending hundreds, and some over a thousand dollars and not get the ship.

Regardless: Cryptic thanks the suckers for getting played.

And it's also an opportunity for others to exploit those fools.

When a new Lockbox comes out, STO is like a documentary showing a pride of lions (Cryptic & Exploiting Players) rip apart some gazelle (Players Playing the Lockbox Game).

Yeah, I've heard it all too. But i just can not fathom why people do no not do more research into what what they are investing in. I'm sure you've heard the old term about a fool and his money and how they are soon departed. Can you imagine these such folks working on wall street? My point in all of this, take a few min, ask some ppl, do a bit of research. it could save you hundreds of dollars, and when you do get your ship you don't have to whine to the whole world about how much of a sucker you are. Yes i know this is Cryptics/PWE's bread and butter, but with a little common logic and just maybe 10-20 min of research it is "WAY" preventable. So i will never shed a tear for these folks.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sounds like gambler's fallacy to me.

same guy who has a system for winning at black jack lol
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sounds like gambler's fallacy to me.

I don't think it's a fallacy. if you could afford, say, 200,000 keys, you would be able to observe that you are about 66 % likely to got a ship within the first 200 attempts, and 99.996 % likely to get one after 2,000 boxes opened.

The fallacy is believing your 200 keys contains one of the winning keys of those 200,000 keys.

---
    Isn't one purely theoretical fail-save method of gambling in at least some games to always double your bet every time you lose?

Unfortunately, that is only fail-safe if you got access to practically unlimited money, so you can indeed double your bet every time you lose. And once you win, you only get a net win of about the amount of money you invested in total so far. So basically, if you're lucky and win 1 Billion Dollar, you would have needed at least 1 Billion Dollar to begin with to get to that point. That would require 30 games (29 losses) to get to that value if you started with 2 US $.
    Imagine you had lost 30 games, and had only 1 Billion US $ to begin with - your game would be over, and you lost 1 Billion Dollar! If you got 1 Billion Dollar, maybe you shouldn't gamble, but just buy yourself a nice house or city or whatever.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    200x 2.5 million Ec per key is 500 million ec

you could have bought what 3 ships for that

This is true , and now that he knows , let's hope he does better next time .
    Point being that not everybody knows this .
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If it was true that the OP was 8 years old Cryptic wouldn't be responsible because the OP...

1.Fraudulently represented that he was over the age of 13 which is the minimum age allowed to create an account.

2. The OP would also be guilty of credit card fraud because as of 2009 the youngest legal age a person can have a credit card of their own in the US is 21 or 18 if they have a parent/guardian/spouse cosign.

Scratch #2 no matter what age is assumed...you can buy zen cards at local stores with cash.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    This is true , and now that he knows , let's hope he does better next time .
    Point being that not everybody knows this .

My point is, anyone with half a brain before just pissing off money at least would do some research. "Oh hey look at me, I'm just throwing cash in the wind like a moron, now gimmie my prize" if you're dumb enough to have that mentality then you are dumb enough to have it robbed from you.