test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LeVar Burton's Kickstarter

zenbrilligzenbrillig Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
Just raising awareness - LeVar Burton just launched a Kickstarter to bring back the Reading Rainbow (into the web and schools). So if you feel like putting a few bucks into a good cause,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

(or if you want to have dinner with Geordi La Forge. No one's judging you.)
Post edited by zenbrillig on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hooooooooooooooolllllleeeeeeeeey SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A good cause to be sure, but I for one would not enjoy sitting around having dinner with him while I wore the visor, I would feel ridiculous.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I donated a few bucks. This is a good thing and LeVar Burton should feel good about himself.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I grew up with reading rainbow so I'm backing this as much as I can. Which i won't know how much until next week. It's awesome to see someone so invested in something like reading that they took a show that's been off air for awhile, turned it into an app and now wants to expand that for classrooms and access for everyone that has internet.

Plus..... If I can.... Meeting Geordie would make me probably scream a little hehe
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited May 2014
    askray wrote: »
    I grew up with reading rainbow so I'm backing this as much as I can. Which i won't know how much until next week. It's awesome to see someone so invested in something like reading that they took a show that's been off air for awhile, turned it into an app and now wants to expand that for classrooms and access for everyone that has internet.

Plus..... If I can.... Meeting Geordie would make me probably scream a little hehe

Well, I hope that you scream a lot, Askray!

(by which I mean that I hope that you are able to donate a large amount of money and get a dinner with LeVar Burton)
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This looks like a great Kickstarter program and our PR team is currently looking into it.

Best of luck to LeVar and the Reading Rainbow Revival team!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This looks like a great Kickstarter program and our PR team is currently looking into it.

~CaptainSmirk

You know what would be awesome? A code that unlocks an extra chrome VISOR, ocular implants eye option, and Geordi goatee on all humanoid characters, donated by STO.

Or Terachan costume options, like the mutation Geordi had in the episode Identity Crisis, with blue glowy veins.

I guess my idea is you work out something like that and then donate the codes for it. Maybe it would even be a tax deduction for PWE as a promotional expense if not a charitable one.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For simplicity's sake, I could see a Terachan costume just being a dropdown costume. Maybe let people set the vein color and skintone or something.
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What's wrong with Jordi's kickstand?

HA! Get it! I'm illiterate! It's funny because I couldn't read!

Seriously, great effort by LaVar. I applaud and respect him for it. Not that Reading Rainbow ever made me interested in reading, but I am sure it did for some folks.

The young and upcoming are definitely lacking in the reading department in large part. Not to say that some folks aren't raising their kids to be voracious readers, just that it is not as encouraged as it was in years past.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014

~CaptainSmirk

I've heard of worse ways to get a Star Trek actor to reprise his role.

... after all, Geordi's ship is already chilling at Earth Spacedock.

Who wants to see the USS Challenger help out Voyager, Enterprise, Bortasqu', and Lleisat in an upcoming FE? I know I do.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I've heard of worse ways to get a Star Trek actor to reprise his role.

... after all, Geordi's ship is already chilling at Earth Spacedock.

Who wants to see the USS Challenger help out Voyager, Enterprise, Bortasqu', and Lleisat in an upcoming FE? I know I do.

No complaints here. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For several thousand dollars to Mr. Burton's Reading Rainbow project you too can help Geordi LaForge and the crew of the USS Challenger rescue Zone Chat from illiteracy, with a liberal amount of phaser fire and quantum torpedos.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For several thousand dollars to Mr. Burton's Reading Rainbow project you too can help Geordi LaForge and the crew of the USS Challenger rescue Zone Chat from illiteracy, with a liberal amount of phaser fire and quantum torpedos.

...if they get Geordi in-game, I will have a stroke from pure nerdiness.

That would be the most awesome use of company funds for a charitable donation EVER.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2014
    I don't have $10k to toss around, but I'd have been happy to meet LeVar for a private meal and conversation. Just not so much Trek talk as everyone else. I grew up as a bookstore manager's kid, and Dad made books incredibly accessible, so reading has been a huge part of my life. I was also trained in youth work in college. All that boils down to a fascinating conversation that would be a lot more literacy and Reading Rainbow than Star Trek or Roots.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    ...if they get Geordi in-game, I will have a stroke from pure nerdiness.

That would be the most awesome use of company funds for a charitable donation EVER.

I agree 100%.

Maybe the character artists could be tasked with finally creating Geordi's fully animated optical implants for the playerbase (in addition to the Geordi LaForge character). All net profits from the proceeds could go to Reading Rainbow?

Just throwing out ideas here.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I agree 100%.

Maybe the character artists could be tasked with finally creating Geordi's fully animated optical implants for the playerbase (in addition to the Geordi LaForge character).

...YES!!!!!!!!!

Devs, if you're listening, this is something where pretty much the entire playerbase would thank you forever.

And there's that warm fuzzy feeling of donating a large amount of money for a good cause AND getting LeVar Burton's voice acting on the relative cheap.
  • Options
    sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ... Aaaaaaand the kickstarter already surpassed its $1 million goal, with 34 days left.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    sethpc wrote: »
    ... Aaaaaaand the kickstarter already surpassed its $1 million goal, with 34 days left.

Faith in humanity... RESTORED.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Faith in humanity... RESTORED.

Most heartwarming thing I've seen all week.

After seeing Joe the Plumber say this, I needed that.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Most heartwarming thing I've seen all week.

After seeing Joe the Plumber say this, I needed that.

After I read that link I went *head desk, head desk, head desk*.

Thanks for posting this thread OP, after reading Worffan101's link, I needed it.

I sure want to meet Burton. Plus it would be a good chance to get the base of my commander La Forge action figure signed.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    After I read that link I went *head desk, head desk, head desk*.

Thanks for posting this thread OP, after reading Worffan101's link, I needed it.

Sorry about that.

But yeah, my faith in humanity was at an all-time low this morning. Then I read the OP and saw the donations meter tick past $ 1 million.

I now have faith in humanity again!
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sorry about that.

But yeah, my faith in humanity was at an all-time low this morning. Then I read the OP and saw the donations meter tick past $ 1 million.

I now have faith in humanity again!

I'm just so glad that there are still many humans to still have faith in:D!
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm just so glad that there are still many humans to still have faith in:D!

I've actually come up with a list of the greatest humans in the world:
    1. George Takei
    2. LeVar Burton
    3. Sir Patrick Stewart
    4. Sir Ian McKellen
    5. Wil Wheaton
    6. John Scalzi
    7. David Tennant
    8. John Barrowman

And more, but that's the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

All are awesome in multiple ways. The top four are gods among men (especially George Takei and Sir Patrick Stewart).

I am now feeling pleasantly warm and fuzzy. :o
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    By the way, if anybody has Levar's ear, see if he can't cut out a deal with Sony/Dan Harmon/Community to get Donald Glover in character as Troy on the new Reading Rainbow. I want to see how they escaped the pirates.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    From what I understand, this Kickstarter got funded in under SEVEN HOURS.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

And that's just to get Reading Rainbow back onto the web and in 1,500 classrooms. Keep your eyes peeled because in the next few days, the Reading Rainbow team is going to share their plans for the spillover funds.

They've promised everything over that $1m goal is going directly back into Reading Rainbow.

I can't wait to see what their expanded plans are for the money that keeps pouring in.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I support this 100%. Most of today's children have never read even a single book in their entire lives. For that matter, the vast majority of adults have not read a single book since leaving school, and the only reason they did read is because it was their class's text books. Few people know the joy and pleasure of spending a cold winter sitting in front of the cosy fireplace with a First Edition of The Turn of the TRIBBLE. As adults, we need to get back to the era where books were our entertainment, and we need to teach our children the same thing.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Poor Brent Spiner at the end lol

I'm glad this happened, First cosmos came back, now this...please tell me someone is cloning Mr. Rogers somewhere.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    zenbrilligzenbrillig Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Check out the video in their first update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh/posts/858121

You can tell how much this means to LeVar.

Oh waitasec - he's a professional actor.

Hmm.

I'm deciding to believe he's not that good an actor :)