What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open Letter to STO Developers

2»

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    But when you look at the Doff and Rep Systems they are essentially already Crafting Systems. You gather resources and then click a button and a few hours later a MACO Engine appears, or Tetryon Platforms, or whatever.

Your Doffs are already going out and getting Particles and bring back new gear. I can easily see that turned into a Rep System. T1 Crafting you can only make small things until you earn enough "Crafting Marks" to advance to T2 and so on.

I know all of that, but for me when Geko mentiones "improving crafting" or "crafting revamp" it doesn't mean taking out the current (bad) system and replacing it with an even worse one - slidebar fillers or click missions the player does not participate in.

The Doff system was an great idea on it's own and I think it needs a bit expanding with new Doff missions and tiers.
    However implementing crafting or exploration as a clicky minigame that's part of the Doff system is something extremely uninsping, boring and dare I say - downright stupid.
    And yeah, the character will be involved with gathering some of the resources but for the most part I expect it to look very much like the existing Doff and Rep Systems.

And this is what I'm arguing against here - turning what once was a very fun game into a complete boredom. I mean, what's the point if everything in the game ends up as a reputation filler?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dear Development Team,

I’ve been playing and enjoying Star Trek Online for less than a year now. I thought I would write this open letter to you in both appreciation for what you have achieved, as well as a prod to take advantage of an ongoing opportunity.

A bit of background first.

In STO I’m Delilah Wild and a member of the Universal Diplomatic Fleet. I came to STO from Eve Online where as Delilah Wild I was the founder of the largest anti-piracy (e.g., anti-griefer) coalition in Eve’s history — the Coalition of Anti-Pirates (COA). PVP against griefers was our passion, and thousands of individuals and scores of alliances (“fleets” in STO) made our success possible through dedication and hard work.

There was a time when Eve was considering becoming more than a complex console game, but that time has passed. Eve is now unapologetically rigged for the benefit of “null security space” alliances (to whom many of the Eve developers belong). This is justified through a gaming vision explicitly based on social darwinism. Over time Eve has continually changed the rules of play to favour in-game griefing, nerfed the opportunities for those interested in pve activities like mining and industry, and enabled the exploitation of new players by established players and organizations. As a consequence of this social environment, Eve is beset by racism, sexism, homophobia, and online bullying.

I’m sharing this background for a reason. Eve has a tremendous amount of dissatisfaction amongst the majority of its players who do not want to be constantly caught up in griefing or exploitation. One readily reads this on the Eve forums. Yet they believe they have no other options in a space MMO.

This presents an opportunity for STO. I mean no disrespect, but I am sure you know that the mining and industry (e.g., crafting) elements of STO could use further development. Folks attracted to mining and industry want to mine and refine and transport ore, as well as manufacture a profitable product and sell that product for in-game currency. Moreover, they want to do this over time and in spaceships as they can hang out and talk with their friends through a chat or voice channel. STO clearly has the skill and capacity to add this functionality in a way consistent with the STO universe. This would open up a new universe for Eve and other MMO players looking for a more welcoming game.

So I respectfully encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity, and build out a new dimension to STO. I urge you to develop game mechanics and outreach that welcomes miners and industrialists who want to switch from Eve or other MMOs. This would grow STO, drain long-term support from competing games, and create a more vibrant STO community.

Sincerely, Del

reads like a petition.

/novote.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reads like a petition.

/novote.

"Like a petition" would be an improvement. It reads more like "Our game is overrun with jerks, so if you'd just do us the tiny service of cloning our game's terminally-boring mining industry simulation into your game we could all seek refuge here while we try to turn the rest of your game into our game."

Fully agreed on the /novote though. Fix Eve or move along, but don't be trying to bring that borefest over here. We get enough boring on our own, thank you very much. ;)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No no and hell no.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just for the record, I did not state I wanted it done with Doffs. I stated that is how Cryptic would probably implement it.

I also have a really big feeling that the new Crafting system Borticus is working on will also be Doff-based.

I imagine it will be a near copy of Neverwinter's crafting system, which is STO Doffing Mark 2. I do support a more industrial aspect of STO in order to expand the game in a side direction.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    I imagine it will be a near copy of Neverwinter's crafting system, which is STO Doffing Mark 2. I do support a more industrial aspect of STO in order to expand the game in a side direction.
    Maybe with bits of the Mod system from Champs mixed in.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I know all of that, but for me when Geko mentiones "improving crafting" or "crafting revamp" it doesn't mean taking out the current (bad) system and replacing it with an even worse one - slidebar fillers or click missions the player does not participate in.

Pray tell, what crafting systems in MMO's aren't slidebar fillers or click missions (occasionally with a "fun" mini-game thrown in)? At least with doff crafting, you can go and play the game instead of sitting there watching the bar fill, or stand there swinging your pic or whatever.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Pray tell, what crafting systems in MMO's aren't slidebar fillers or click missions (occasionally with a "fun" mini-game thrown in)? At least with doff crafting, you can go and play the game instead of sitting there watching the bar fill, or stand there swinging your pic or whatever.

Ah yes, the spacebar mashing generation. You don't want to make some effort in a particular game segment, but you want to reap the benefits while doing sth else. Why don't you pay someone to play the game for you entirely?

Spacebar Online FTW!!!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    yes i used to enjoy eve but your right the game has gone to ****. going to nullsec before they added that sovereignty bs was true hi profit hi risk because nobody really had any real control over it. now every corner is ransomed by some mega corp. my corp had a good thing going in null we had a nice little corner that we defended well but the people we where paying btw to have are little corner ****ed us over simply because we had it locked down so well but got pissed we didn't go out looking for a fight. i left the corp shortly after because despite being ****ed over incurring massive loses and losing are space they refused to drop the alliance. i joined a freelance corp to avoid the drama and played around with the new scanning ability on my stealth ship those are where they money was at that time don't know whats changed now i quit shortly after. fyi the alliance was ran like **** anyways always ******** they had no ships or items but would treat the people willing to build for them like dirt because they didn't wanna go pick fights. btw i played eve for years and the change of treating pve players like dirt simply turned me away,
  • xonk10xonk10 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dear Development Team,

I’ve been playing and enjoying Star Trek Online for less than a year now. I thought I would write this open letter to you in both appreciation for what you have achieved, as well as a prod to take advantage of an ongoing opportunity.

A bit of background first.

In STO I’m Delilah Wild and a member of the Universal Diplomatic Fleet. I came to STO from Eve Online where as Delilah Wild I was the founder of the largest anti-piracy (e.g., anti-griefer) coalition in Eve’s history — the Coalition of Anti-Pirates (COA). PVP against griefers was our passion, and thousands of individuals and scores of alliances (“fleets” in STO) made our success possible through dedication and hard work.

There was a time when Eve was considering becoming more than a complex console game, but that time has passed. Eve is now unapologetically rigged for the benefit of “null security space” alliances (to whom many of the Eve developers belong). This is justified through a gaming vision explicitly based on social darwinism. Over time Eve has continually changed the rules of play to favour in-game griefing, nerfed the opportunities for those interested in pve activities like mining and industry, and enabled the exploitation of new players by established players and organizations. As a consequence of this social environment, Eve is beset by racism, sexism, homophobia, and online bullying.

I’m sharing this background for a reason. Eve has a tremendous amount of dissatisfaction amongst the majority of its players who do not want to be constantly caught up in griefing or exploitation. One readily reads this on the Eve forums. Yet they believe they have no other options in a space MMO.

This presents an opportunity for STO. I mean no disrespect, but I am sure you know that the mining and industry (e.g., crafting) elements of STO could use further development. Folks attracted to mining and industry want to mine and refine and transport ore, as well as manufacture a profitable product and sell that product for in-game currency. Moreover, they want to do this over time and in spaceships as they can hang out and talk with their friends through a chat or voice channel. STO clearly has the skill and capacity to add this functionality in a way consistent with the STO universe. This would open up a new universe for Eve and other MMO players looking for a more welcoming game.

So I respectfully encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity, and build out a new dimension to STO. I urge you to develop game mechanics and outreach that welcomes miners and industrialists who want to switch from Eve or other MMOs. This would grow STO, drain long-term support from competing games, and create a more vibrant STO community.

Sincerely, Del

Hey Del,

I for one, thank yoou for this. I too got so PO'd at EvE for taking what was a fun game with some choices, to a game where if you were an idustrialist or miner, you pretty much became fodder for anyone with a cheap killer ship and their friends. "HULKAGEDDON" was THE WORST thing to come alog, and even though the GM's and Devs said is was not "Officially" Reconized, you can bet your bank that they were behind the whole thing. At least if they were to add another server, and allow JUST PvE (similar to WoW's system) I think they would get back a lot of folks. Now...for the negative: I do agree that this Game would not really do good for just mining and building (Industrial)...however, perhaps a comprimise: Once a fleet gets their Starbase, Shipyard, etc, to a certain level, suppose have a system to actually "Build" Ships from Scratch?

Instead of just having to Buy the Ship Modules for Fleet Ships, how about (And PLEASE no screaming...this is JUST an idea!) Adding or naming the "Modules" Primary and Secondary Hulls, Nacelles, etc. I hope I am explaining this well, lol. But you can put your materials towards a part of a ship...say mining dil, or other thingsl, until you have all what is needed to constuct the fleet ship you want.

Sigh...ok,enough of that. Thanks for your time all.
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    the problem with eve and its pvp is the hisec security has been broken for a very long time things like hulkagedden and other suicide ganks. in fact it was brought to the extreme when they did the jita protest and essentially shut down the system. it is a flaw in the system they refused to fix and just call it a feature. point is they actually would have good balance if they would fix the bugs.