test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open Letter to STO Developers

delilahwilddelilahwild Member Posts: 63 Arc User
Dear Development Team,

I’ve been playing and enjoying Star Trek Online for less than a year now. I thought I would write this open letter to you in both appreciation for what you have achieved, as well as a prod to take advantage of an ongoing opportunity.

A bit of background first.

In STO I’m Delilah Wild and a member of the Universal Diplomatic Fleet. I came to STO from Eve Online where as Delilah Wild I was the founder of the largest anti-piracy (e.g., anti-griefer) coalition in Eve’s history — the Coalition of Anti-Pirates (COA). PVP against griefers was our passion, and thousands of individuals and scores of alliances (“fleets” in STO) made our success possible through dedication and hard work.

There was a time when Eve was considering becoming more than a complex console game, but that time has passed. Eve is now unapologetically rigged for the benefit of “null security space” alliances (to whom many of the Eve developers belong). This is justified through a gaming vision explicitly based on social darwinism. Over time Eve has continually changed the rules of play to favour in-game griefing, nerfed the opportunities for those interested in pve activities like mining and industry, and enabled the exploitation of new players by established players and organizations. As a consequence of this social environment, Eve is beset by racism, sexism, homophobia, and online bullying.

I’m sharing this background for a reason. Eve has a tremendous amount of dissatisfaction amongst the majority of its players who do not want to be constantly caught up in griefing or exploitation. One readily reads this on the Eve forums. Yet they believe they have no other options in a space MMO.

This presents an opportunity for STO. I mean no disrespect, but I am sure you know that the mining and industry (e.g., crafting) elements of STO could use further development. Folks attracted to mining and industry want to mine and refine and transport ore, as well as manufacture a profitable product and sell that product for in-game currency. Moreover, they want to do this over time and in spaceships as they can hang out and talk with their friends through a chat or voice channel. STO clearly has the skill and capacity to add this functionality in a way consistent with the STO universe. This would open up a new universe for Eve and other MMO players looking for a more welcoming game.

So I respectfully encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity, and build out a new dimension to STO. I urge you to develop game mechanics and outreach that welcomes miners and industrialists who want to switch from Eve or other MMOs. This would grow STO, drain long-term support from competing games, and create a more vibrant STO community.

Sincerely, Del
Post edited by delilahwild on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Got a feeling the closest to "mining' we will ever get is dilithium mining. That is unless they use mining asteroids and stuff for exclusive crafting like they did with SWG. They could do it like that.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think that you have some valid points, but it's unlikely that STO will change that much.

Honestly, I think that what is more likely to draw the attention of the people you're talking about is Star Citizen.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Although I can see the draw for having an expanded, robust, mining and trade industry, I don't think this is the game to do it. STO is really just a casual based PVE space shooter. Going into a complex system like that doesn't seem to mesh with the direction the devs are going in. I would agree that Star Citizen seems to be more what you're looking for.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hello Delilah, its always nice to meet a fresh new player before their dreams are broken. STO is designed as a themepark for very casual gamers. Most of the game content is single-player/co-op missions, with only a few repeatable missions at end-game that are mostly used for grinding. The devs have not expressed any interest in adding any kind of open-world persistent gameplay. They have flat-out declared that there will only be two factions. Things like faction PVP and territory control are unlikely to happen in the absence of said interest. My advice is figure out how you want to waste the next couple of years and see if SC eventually meets your interest.
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This presents an opportunity for STO. I mean no disrespect, but I am sure you know that the mining and industry (e.g., crafting) elements of STO could use further development. Folks attracted to mining and industry want to mine and refine and transport ore, as well as manufacture a profitable product and sell that product for in-game currency. Moreover, they want to do this over time and in spaceships as they can hang out and talk with their friends through a chat or voice channel. STO clearly has the skill and capacity to add this functionality in a way consistent with the STO universe. This would open up a new universe for Eve and other MMO players looking for a more welcoming game.

Sounds kind of like the Ferengi led merchant/mercenary faction idea that's been tossed around a few times before.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Got a feeling the closest to "mining' we will ever get is dilithium mining. That is unless they use mining asteroids and stuff for exclusive crafting like they did with SWG. They could do it like that.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while reading the OP. They could tie this in a more complex and engaging crafting system, that would basically function like an industry for miscellaneous resources that can be used in crafting all kinds of items.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while reading the OP. They could tie this in a more complex and engaging crafting system, that would basically function like an industry for miscellaneous resources that can be used in crafting all kinds of items.

An idea thats been floated around before is fleet built colonies.

Many of the ideas suggested around that sound similar to what the OP is talking about.

It would certainly be something that would fit with a new exploration system, as well as provide a new direction for cookie cutter type fleet holdings.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The last thing I want for STO is for them to attract more EVE players over here. I hope they stay away. I never played EVE but the reputation of much of the playerbase is well known, especially the "Goonswarm" we hear about so much.

Crafting could use a revamp, but I wouldn't want the economy to become more complex like EVE, like with more resources and mining and such.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited May 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Crafting could use a revamp, but I wouldn't want the economy to become more complex like EVE, like with more resources and mining and such.
    Usually just ignore stuff that has no interest, here you're saying keep it out. Why?
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Usually just ignore stuff that has no interest, here you're saying keep it out. Why?

I intentionally avoid games with a economy like EVE that lets players control it far too much, thats why I am not there and am here instead, I don't want STO to become EVE.

Eve economy is far to easy for players to scam and manipulate. I don't think a complex player economy really works in MMOs without some form of regulating and a central bank that can inflate/deflate the economy as needed. Even STO's economy is far to easy for players to manipulate and could use some form of regulating, if I was a dev I would be stabilizing the exchange by creating and putting up items for sale that it looks like players are trying to monopolize and drive the price up on.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • delilahwilddelilahwild Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

It may help to clarify that I'm not proposing STO become another version of Eve, or that it turn into a full scale space simulator. Rather I'm suggesting the adaptation of certain mining and industrial functions of Eve to work within the STO universe.

Like many of you I too like the casual individual/coop model of play. It works for my busy life.

At the same time, a more extended kind of coop play would be appreciated by the miners and industrialists I have mentioned.

Star Citizen came up often in your comments and is an interesting topic.

It is entirely unclear what social norms Star Citizen will optimize throughout the mechanics, so it may or may not become another version of Eve. Yet it is intentionally scalable through individual/coop/MMO levels, which may put an interesting twist on who and how players interact, and the opportunities for griefing, exploitation and manipulation.

Even so, the scalability combined with the trade functions will lend themselves to what I'm proposing for STO. I'd like to see STO take advantage of this opportunity now.

Cheers, Del
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Being captain of your ship, you should be able to send your boff's or crew to mine for u. I dont remember a single captain beaming down to mine anything on the show or movies. I mean, yeah the same wait time until its done, but we could atleast get a bridge scene or readyroom animation of the captain overseeing the progress from the bridge. If you want skill to gain more, you can add training to the crewmen sent to do it to gain a better haul.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dear Development Team,

I’ve been playing and enjoying Star Trek Online for less than a year now. I thought I would write this open letter to you in both appreciation for what you have achieved, as well as a prod to take advantage of an ongoing opportunity.

A bit of background first.

In STO I’m Delilah Wild and a member of the Universal Diplomatic Fleet. I came to STO from Eve Online where as Delilah Wild I was the founder of the largest anti-piracy (e.g., anti-griefer) coalition in Eve’s history — the Coalition of Anti-Pirates (COA). PVP against griefers was our passion, and thousands of individuals and scores of alliances (“fleets” in STO) made our success possible through dedication and hard work.

There was a time when Eve was considering becoming more than a complex console game, but that time has passed. Eve is now unapologetically rigged for the benefit of “null security space” alliances (to whom many of the Eve developers belong). This is justified through a gaming vision explicitly based on social darwinism. Over time Eve has continually changed the rules of play to favour in-game griefing, nerfed the opportunities for those interested in pve activities like mining and industry, and enabled the exploitation of new players by established players and organizations. As a consequence of this social environment, Eve is beset by racism, sexism, homophobia, and online bullying.

I’m sharing this background for a reason. Eve has a tremendous amount of dissatisfaction amongst the majority of its players who do not want to be constantly caught up in griefing or exploitation. One readily reads this on the Eve forums. Yet they believe they have no other options in a space MMO.

So I respectfully encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity, and build out a new dimension to STO. I urge you to develop game mechanics and outreach that welcomes miners and industrialists who want to switch from Eve or other MMOs. This would grow STO, drain long-term support from competing games, and create a more vibrant STO community.

Sincerely, Del

Your writing a letter to a old guy setting on his million dollor boat. Fishing for tuna. Asking his grandchildren what is STO. The children reply, Grandpa "its that video game that pays your bills"
    The old man just replys "well" . End of story.
    Since STOs release there have been thousands of these letters. Not once have they been replyed to by a dev (devs have replyed before but NOT on improvements that could be made to the game). I truly wish some multi-millionair that loved star trek would step in and do something. They don't even have to play games. Anything is better than what we've been getting. Did everyone who worked on seasons 1-6 just die off. Would someone please give some insight as to wth has happened to sto.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Being captain of your ship, you should be able to send your boff's or crew to mine for u. I dont remember a single captain beaming down to mine anything on the show or movies. I mean, yeah the same wait time until its done, but we could atleast get a bridge scene or readyroom animation of the captain overseeing the progress from the bridge. If you want skill to gain more, you can add training to the crewmen sent to do it to gain a better haul.
    This is essentially it - and is close to what I stated in a post yesterday. If Cryptic were to implement mining and industry it would be via the Doff system. Your Doffs scan a system. Your Doffs discover a mine. Your Doffs do the mining. You would be the guy giving the orders, not the guy doing it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    This is essentially it - and is close to what I stated in a post yesterday. If Cryptic were to implement mining and industry it would be via the Doff system. Your Doffs scan a system. Your Doffs discover a mine. Your Doffs do the mining. You would be the guy giving the orders, not the guy doing it.

Yeah, but that would be a bore of epic proportions and it's not what the players of STO are asking for in the slightest.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, but that would be a bore of epic proportions and it's not what the players of STO are asking for in the slightest.
    Sure. But Star Trek is not about mining or industry. Kirk was not out mining Diltihium Crystals for the Federation. Kirk was dealing with the independent miners and their problems so he could buy Dilithium Crystals from them. Star Trek is really not about the mundane day-to-day. The episodes are generally about the unusual days, not the routine ones.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2014
    Sure. But Star Trek is not about mining or industry. Kirk was not out mining Diltihium Crystals for the Federation. Kirk was dealing with the independent miners and their problems so he could buy Dilithium Crystals from them. Star Trek is really not about the mundane day-to-day. The episodes are generally about the unusual days, not the routine ones.
    That's like saying Star Trek isnt about Ferengi or Klingon. Totally misses the point that we're supposed to be in the Star Trek ->UNIVERSE<- where all of these things exist and we can play whatever role we like. We dont all have to be hero captain. Quit trying to dictate RP.
    edited May 2014
    That's like saying Star Trek isnt about Ferengi or Klingon. Totally misses the point that we're supposed to be in the Star Trek ->UNIVERSE<- where all of these things exist and we can play whatever role we like. We dont all have to be hero captain. Quit trying to dictate RP.
    So you are saying you want to role-play a Vice Admiral miner in Starfleet? Good for you. I prefer to play Star Trek Online. :)

You will probably win out, though. The "I wants" always do in this game.
    edited May 2014
    So you are saying you want to role-play a Vice Admiral miner in Starfleet? Good for you. I prefer to play Star Trek Online. :)

Why would Vice Admiral be a civilian rank? Why would civilians have rank at all?

You come up with the silliest arguments sometimes
    edited May 2014
    Why would Vice Admiral be a civilian rank? Why would civilians have rank at all?

You come up with the silliest arguments sometimes
    What you continually seem to be unable to grasp is that Cryptic operates on a win/lose system of development. For Cryptic their choices are A or B not A and B. Every decision they make comes at the expense of something else they hoped they could do. They have the manpower to do A or B, not both. This has constantly proven itself to be true over and over during the last 4 years. New Klingon ship or new Federation ship? Fed players buy more, so make a Fed ship, etc.

You want Cryptic to implement a Civilian Class so you can play an Admiral of Industry. Doing so means that Cryptic needs to not work on something else. What if the choice is Civilian Class or new STFs? What percentage of the player-base is going to want to drop everything and play a guy who mines and ships ore all day long compared to those who want new Mission Content for their existing characters?

What you are wanting here is something that is going to take a lot of manpower to implement. The Class system needs to be made. The ships need to be made. Minor missions need to be made, etc. All of that is going to come at the expense of things all the other Classes wanted. And even then there is no way of knowing if more then a fraction of the fan-base would find mining and transporting ore to be fun to do 2-3 hours per day.

That is why I am opposed to the idea.
    edited May 2014

Which doesn't mean that the future of the game wouldn't in fact lie in adding more complex concepts of gameplay instead of trying to turn it into a FB arcade game. Having Doffs do the activities we're discussing here reminds me terribly of browser games like O-Game for example, and I'd vagure that is not the reason most of us play MMORPGs like STO.

Besides, I already mentioned it can be tied with an improved and more complex crafting system. The way I see crafting in games is like the salad on the side of a meal. It's not the main course, so you don't have to have it, but if you happen to like salads you can eat it.
    That way all the Kirks can enjoy Kirking around as much as they want, while people that enjoy more complex activities or building something by themselves would have an inovative and fun crafting system to explore.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited May 2014
    What you continually seem to be unable to grasp is that Cryptic operates on a win/lose system of development.
    You know, every one of your posts seems to be rooted in strawman argument that you prop up just so you can heroically knock it over.
    edited May 2014
    Which doesn't mean that the future of the game wouldn't in fact lie in adding more complex concepts of gameplay instead of trying to turn it into a FB arcade game. Having Doffs do the activities we're discussing here reminds me terribly of browser games like O-Game for example, and I'd vague that is not the reason most of us play MMORPGs like STO.

Besides, I already mentioned it can be tied with an improved and more complex crafting system. The way I see crafting in games is like the salad on the side of a meal. It's not the main course, so you don't have to have it, but if you happen to like salads you can eat it.
    That way all the Kirks can enjoy Kirking around as much as they want, while people that enjoy more complex activities or building something by themselves would have an inovative and fun crafting system to explore.

Yeah this.

If you want to be Starfleet captain and go explore new worlds and civiliations, you should be able to do it. If you want to be a Klingon and embrace that RP, then go for it. If you want to be Harry Mudd, or be Quark's cousin on Ferengar, or any other role in the Star Trek UNIVERSE, then those are equally viable and contributory.

Having 20,000 James T. Kirk is boring

DOFFing for adventure is boring
    edited May 2014
    Which doesn't mean that the future of the game wouldn't in fact lie in adding more complex concepts of gameplay instead of trying to turn it into a FB arcade game. Having Doffs do the activities we're discussing here reminds me terribly of browser games like O-Game for example, and I'd vagure that is not the reason most of us play MMORPGs like STO.
    Just for the record, I did not state I wanted it done with Doffs. I stated that is how Cryptic would probably implement it.
    I also have a really big feeling that the new Crafting system Borticus is working on will also be Doff-based.
    edited May 2014
    You know, every one of your posts seems to be rooted in strawman argument that you prop up just so you can heroically knock it over.
    Can you address any of the points I made in the post? Has that not been Cryptic's mode of operation over the last 4+ years? How many times have they said they stopped on X because they had to do Y instead?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Can you address any of the points I made in the post?

Of course not- there are no easy strawmen he can prop up to knock over heroically, so he's having to take the "Howls of derisive laughter, Bruce" approach. ;)
    edited May 2014
    Just for the record, I did not state I wanted it done with Doffs. I stated that is how Cryptic would probably implement it.

No, I know. You're not the first one I've seen mention it.
    I'm just stating that I feel it's the wrongest of wrong ways to go about it in some mildly insane hope that a dev might trip, stumble over the tread and see that we don't like it.
    I also have a really big feeling that the new Crafting system Borticus is working on will also be Doff-based.

If true, this would royally suck and kill any hope I have left of this game turning into something more engaging than sliders and spacebar mashing. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There are far more important things to add to Star Trek Online than a more robust mining and economy system. Star Trek has always been about exploration and exploring the human condition. Therefore, adding a decent exploration system where we encounter various interstellar phenomena and civilizations would be part of Star Trek while mining asteroids is not. Exploring the human condition could be done through good thought-provoking missions where they are not resolved with a phaser.
    edited May 2014
    If true, this would royally suck and kill any hope I have left of this game turning into something more engaging than sliders and spacebar mashing. :(
    But when you look at the Doff and Rep Systems they are essentially already Crafting Systems. You gather resources and then click a button and a few hours later a MACO Engine appears, or Tetryon Platforms, or whatever.

Your Doffs are already going out and getting Particles and bring back new gear. I can easily see that turned into a Rep System. T1 Crafting you can only make small things until you earn enough "Crafting Marks" to advance to T2 and so on.

And yeah, the character will be involved with gathering some of the resources but for the most part I expect it to look very much like the existing Doff and Rep Systems.
    edited May 2014
    Can you address any of the points I made in the post? Has that not been Cryptic's mode of operation over the last 4+ years? How many times have they said they stopped on X because they had to do Y instead?
    Where did I say otherwise? Instead you just made up the argument, assigned it to me, and then knocked it over. Of course resources are finite. Duh?