test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

suggestion for new season, we lose

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    We must pick a planet to sacrifice to the Undine in a mature and civilized manner... Defera... you're up.

i vote for earth !!!!!!! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    yeah... no, STO has way too much war already, this is star trek, not star wars.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Defera would be awesome, but you'd have the problem of that breen story arc :(
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i vote for earth !!!!!!! :D

Then we can have that hyperspace bypass we were promised.
    Headlong into mystery
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was reminded of a line from Babylon 5. "Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

I'm not saying I like the specific idea of blowing up a major planet, but it'd be nice to see some actual story result from the Federation effectively being at war with nearly everybody.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    yeah... no, STO has way too much war already, this is star trek, not star wars.

Seconded. People want bleak and on the edge of destruction, there's BSGO. How about a season that gets as far from the DS9 'blow stuff up' as possible. Maybe a TNG-oriented season for a change.
  • quistraquistra Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If I want to play a game where I'm a ragtag band of rebels fighting a losing battle against an undefeatable enemy, I'll go find a Star Wars MMO.

I'm tired of gratuitous grimdark. Star Trek is about a hopeful future. Can we just once, just freaking once, not try and turn it into some ridiculous dystopia? Can we at least try to be consistent with Roddenberry's vision?
    The artist formerly known as PlanetofHats.
    Actual join date: Open beta, 2009ish.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I was reminded of a line from Babylon 5. "Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

I'm not saying I like the specific idea of blowing up a major planet, but it'd be nice to see some actual story result from the Federation effectively being at war with nearly everybody.

It has been oddly consequence free now that you mention it (recent trashing of ESD aside). Starfleet's resources can only stretch so far; even peace with the Klingons only helps so much, since they did that to prepare for an even nastier war. I'd expect the Federation to be in pretty poor shape by now.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have to admit...at the end of 'Surface Tension' I was a bit disappointed that Qo'nos wasn't actually blown up...that would've been a plot twist for the ages. Maybe not logistically sound, but it would've made me highly anticipate the next move of the writers instead of me now just wondering how I can access the Iconian Armour (available in one of next year's lock boxes I'm sure...).

eh....I dont think blowing up Qo'nos would of been good tbh.... first Romulus then Qo'nos ... yeah i dont think so. it would start to "trend" and become an issue from a story telling prespective from my point of view.

I think you should look at the bigger picture though, the iconians have conquered our neighboring galaxy of Andromeda ... I mean really its literally galaxy vs galaxy now... the blowing up of 1 world race specific wouldn't really make any sense and it would also TRIBBLE off the Klingon fan base as they already feel kind of railroaded by cryptic lol

logical question incoming likely to a response to my post: "since when did they conquer Andromeda?!" when you first go through the gateway and end up on that subspace station thing or w/e (cant remember if its part of the Dyson sphere some how or not) one of the terminals you can access says "Andromeda gateways active: 4000+" etc etc inferring that the Iconians have conquered Andromeda. Also keep in mind that galaxy is roughly 1/3 bigger than ours maybe more. so this war thing is on an intergalactic scale so they have a lot of things to play with.

to the op: going straight into random war situation episode when war hasn't technically been declared story wise just "self defense"with no build up what so ever over a series of episodes would actually make the story a bit stupid to be honest.

that can happen when the iconians finally invade but IMHO now would be a stupid time to do it as it just seems extremely random to me. + there are plenty of "servitor" species we havent encountered yet.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    It has been oddly consequence free now that you mention it (recent trashing of ESD aside). Starfleet's resources can only stretch so far; even peace with the Klingons only helps so much, since they did that to prepare for an even nastier war. I'd expect the Federation to be in pretty poor shape by now.

they're also bolstered by the romulans who now can be a bit more active with the war over between them meaning they can help both sides and those sides can help eachother prepare.

I want them to end up sending us to the dominion for help because this will be a galaxy wide war not just a quadrant one so the dominion may not even know whats coming... as arrogant as they are from a lore prespective.

so it would be interesting if we ended up getting the dominion as allies.

LOL imagine the dominion as a playable faction rofl.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    they're also bolstered by the romulans who now can be a bit more active with the war over between them meaning they can help both sides and those sides can help eachother prepare.

I want them to end up sending us to the dominion for help because this will be a galaxy wide war not just a quadrant one so the dominion may not even know whats coming... as arrogant as they are from a lore prespective.

so it would be interesting if we ended up getting the dominion as allies.

LOL imagine the dominion as a playable faction rofl.

Why would they help though? They have no reason to think they are under threat.

We know that the Iconians have their eyes on the Dominion, but they aren't just going to take our word for it; and it doesn't seem likely that the Iconians would make any moves against them until they are done with everyone else.

The Dominion is more likely to just sit back and watch the fireworks.
  • psiversepsiverse Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I say get rid of New Romulus. Those band of misfit gypsies are use to being the homeless bottom feeders in STO.

Down with the Tal Shiar. It's totally worthless.
    If you destroy your fleet by taking your ball and going home, why should the next group of people trust you will lead the fleet properly? Things that make you go hmmmm.
  • nativejoenativejoe Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I sugguest they finally break away with the story arc that TOVEN is an ICONIAN And is actually the Master hand behind all this.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Didn't we already lose enough with Season 9's "sometimes you see'em, sometimes you don't" graphics "revamp?" :rolleyes:
    edited May 2014
    I think the Dominion may be convinced... The Dominion very well had the chance to reconquer the Alpha Quadrant, but didn't.

If the Federation came to them on their knees, I bet you the Dominion would consider it. The only enemy in thousands of years to defeat them head on... asking for their help?

Plus Odo, he's a bit of an influence.
  • evilmarscaponeevilmarscapone Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    quistra wrote: »
    Can we at least try to be consistent with Roddenberry's vision?

You mean constantly encountering malevolent and nearly omnipotent beings every episode, but somehow having just enough plot armor to come through unscathed (except for ensign redshirt, he will be missed). No thanks. I'm gonna get flak for this, but I'm not a fan of Roddenberry's vision, and I think lots of people will agree with me since Trek's popularity (particularly TNG) took off after he wasn't in creative control (lol Wesley).

I'm not saying later Treks after he died were perfect, but a universe with conflict, imperfection, and strife is what moves a story. Watching "In the Pale Moonlight", "Demons", "The Drumhead", "Death Wish", "Chain of Command", etc... at least showed the characters trying to create/manage the Roddenberry utopian dream in a very un-utopian universe.

So I'm with the OP here. I'm not sure what CBS will allow, but I'm hoping the writers are given some creative freedom since STO is a soft-canon (or non-canon) universe. Let the Iconians and/or Undine win. Destroy Earth, Qo'Nos, New Romulus, etc... Have the remaining survivors take refuge in a Sphere. Do something. With the Klingon-Federation war over, things need to be shaken up a bit.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I have spent the last 4+ years of this game dealing with a useless and pointless war. I really have no interest in playing a "fight to survive" type of game at this point. I would rather see some peace come to the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and see more missions tied into exploration and even dealing with internal issues within both the Faction and your crew.

In season 10 you can pend 6 months doing patrols around the former Romulan neutral zone to scan comet and gaseous anomalies while listening to Berlioz and processing sensor scan reports..... you'll get rewarded 1 mark a day on the new Bored Reputation.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    In season 10 you can pend 6 months doing patrols around the former Romulan neutral zone to scan comet and gaseous anomalies while listening to Berlioz and processing sensor scan reports..... you'll get rewarded 1 mark a day on the new Bored Reputation.

Best post ever but how about "Bizet?" ;)

But seriously, I don't think we need another over the top mission / arc. Let's be honest here. Cryptic hasn't pulled it off and they seem to lose interest with each major foe at the end of the season (or is it lockbox). When everyone complains about lack of cohesion in story ... the response is "Iconians!".

Time for a new start, I think. First, resolve the Iconian plot once and for all. The expansion is the best time to do that (or possibly separate featured series). 10-20 episodes with a defined beginning, climax and resolution.

Then they can do Delta quadrant thing for a while. Each season is 1 or more species from Voyager along with a shiny lockbox or 2 to pay for it. This fits way better with the STO model and there is no need for story cohesion ... anymore than there was on Voyager.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited May 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Best post ever but how about "Bizet?" ;)

But seriously, I don't think we need another over the top mission / arc. Let's be honest here. Cryptic hasn't pulled it off and they seem to lose interest with each major foe at the end of the season (or is it lockbox). When everyone complains about lack of cohesion in story ... the response is "Iconians!".

Time for a new start, I think. First, resolve the Iconian plot once and for all. The expansion is the best time to do that (or possibly separate featured series). 10-20 episodes with a defined beginning, climax and resolution.

Then they can do Delta quadrant thing for a while. Each season is 1 or more species from Voyager along with a shiny lockbox or 2 to pay for it. This fits way better with the STO model and there is no need for story cohesion ... anymore than there was on Voyager.

I just want this story wrapped up in a violent, game changing manner so they can have many different options to write a new story.

Ending with a cheerful manner doesn't leave for many options. Ending with an understanding that war is hell, and even the victors pay a heavy price... it leaves an impact
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Roddenberry's vision is what made Star Trek grow in popularity so much that you were able to get TNG.

His vision was to make money, and enough people enjoyed the series to bring it back for a continuation.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Captain obvious here :rolleyes:

Well, there are some who still think he was some kind of saint :cool:.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Well, there are some who still think he was some kind of saint :cool:.

well if we ever need a saint of sleeping with a lot of attractive women, we could do worst. :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you guys want a Star Trek where the good guys lose, go read the Typhon Pact series.

Honestly, though, I'd rather not have a game where everyone's limping and barely hanging on to what they have. Don't we already have enough of those games as it is?
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure how I feel about this , and part of my lack of direction is the nonsensical parting phrase of the Iconian on Qo'noS : "you've caught our attention , don't catch our attention again" .

That is not a "we'll be back" threat .
    To me it makes no sense .

I also don't think that "blowing up a planet" is the answer .
    That is just a writers crutch for drama .
    OTOTH our current ability to "stop all the Undine Planet killers in orbit of planet X, Y , Z " -- that is also somewhat unbelievable , as in the military you don't have 100% success 100% of the time .
    S^&it goes wrong and ppl make movies about that later (or not) . :cool:
    (point being , stuff going wrong is realistic)

I also agree with Cosmic1 , that for the last 4 years , we did not feel as if we were in any real distress .
    OTOTH , the last FE , actually finally gave off some of that feeling .
    (and I don't think that that FE has been praised enough for that specific achievement)
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What the OP wrote does look pretty good,but will cryptic take much notice????
    well thats debateable is'nt it.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited May 2014
    story list:

BIGBATTLE ( we get massacred by the iconians...)

we get nearly destroyed

the Q safe us... because the iconians had help from another almost Q-like unkown species

Q Banishs this species who helped the iconians...

the Q taking action against the Iconians limiting them to their "own space"

the Q limiting us withing Alpha and Beta Quadrant ((+ gamma/delta? )) because.. reasons... they are the Q...

due to the actions of the unkown species, the Q and the iconians there have appeared serveral anomalies within the whole galxy wich forces us to invent new technologies to survive and travel... the anomalies also cause more mirror rifts to open and randomly opens whormhole like rifts within the whole galaxy wich leads to war betweel serveral species due to "space violation"... =)

the whormhole like random rifts also make us able to explore gamma and delta quadrants...(( every expansion is a new species... lockbox and so on ))

maybe something like that :D
    edited May 2014
    no Q. They are added for comedic effects.
    edited May 2014
    no Q. They are added for comedic effects.

read about the novel "The Q continuum" ... they are not only for fun....
    edited May 2014
    For Star Trek Online, they are just for comedic relief.
    edited May 2014
    For Star Trek Online, they are just for comedic relief.

dosent mean that this have to be for ever...im pretty sure i remember a borg mission where Q "helped" us... sooo...