test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beam Overload...for nerds that can't play the game apparently

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Be glad the Devs removed BO3 stacking. You would have really hated that.

I sorry they did. I had just gotten around overcoming the BO drain issue......
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OP, where you expecting anything like a trek experience? In STO? What were you thinking!
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    the damage from beam overload has been lowered to this low avg Damage just for pvp and some still complain its too OP ?

Making it a useless skill in Pve with a avg of 10k to hull..thats without special Doffs to damage

compared the SV3/ CRF3 /Bfaw3 which do not need special doffs or weapons

beam overload is a worthless skill to slot in PvE doing less then 20% or 25% of the damage these other skills do in 15 second cycle

This is the reason almost all beam users only use Bfaw only

Beam overload is useless for pve...Its a pvp only skill
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Fixed:cool:

/10dchars

Think of what I said the next time you hop into your ESTF and gloat how great you are with your DPS or whatever, against an opponent that doesn't really do anything to save itself, to get you back.

Because that's what the PVE is in this game.

Retardedly simple.

Dumb AI that doesn't do anything.

When the only challenge from PVE in this game comes from high hullpoints on NPCs, you'll realize how much of an idiot you are to proclaim how great PVE is.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »

Ikr?

Just think if we still had the ability triple stack BO at that. Blow some minds I bet.

Besides, some of these 'kids' (relatively speaking in terms of PvP) haven't dealt with some truly horrifying things in PvP from the past. Like...

50 second Graviton Pulse
    Original, unnerfed SNB DOFFs
    The Bug when it was first released

And so on.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Think of what I said the next time you hop into your ESTF and gloat how great you are with your DPS or whatever, against an opponent that doesn't really do anything to save itself, to get you back.

Because that's what the PVE is in this game.

Retardedly simple.

Dumb AI that doesn't do anything.

When the only challenge from PVE in this game comes from high hullpoints on NPCs, you'll realize how much of an idiot you are to proclaim how great PVE is.

You are right. PVE is not all that great but you can't really hold PVP up as something better. I would rather take a quiet borg one shotting torp then to watch someone brag about how big their numbers was.

And before you start calling me chicken and stuff. I pvp but I pvp my way. I run torps, mines, and beams on my jemmy dread. I don't aux2bat, set macros to do my heavy lifting, I barely use hotkeys. I think having a PVP/PVE build is freaking silly.

In tabletop gaming is rule that most players and GMs go by. Don't break anything. GMs don't put the team into a fight they can't win and players don't make the GM bust a blood vessel (ie don't do broken stuff). Have Cryptic been the best GMs? They have not been the worst. Have you been a good player? Now wait before you say "Cryptic is to blame." Cryptic made you make a build so insanely powerful the only counter for it is to listen? Cryptic made you grind out all that EC you needed to outfit your ship.

"But wait. If they did not want us to be so broken they would have stopped us."

*Points to double tap, old borg set, cryo weapons, rep traits and all of the other fixes they have done*

Yes they do make mistakes, and yes they do take their time to bring fixes to major flaws. But if you think the blame is 100% on them? You all (PVP and PVE cheesers) throw brick sizes lumps of cash at them for the cheese you say you are so much against.

You all say skill beats gear. Then show us. Just take a freshly opened mirror ship into a PVP match. No cheese weapons, no cheese consoles, no lockbox ship, no marion or any other doff.

Just your crew, your skills, and wits. Up for the test? ;)

Edit: I never brag about my DPS.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You are right. PVE is not all that great but you can't really hold PVP up as something better. I would rather take a quiet borg one shotting torp then to watch someone brag about how big their numbers was.

And before you start calling me chicken and stuff. I pvp but I pvp my way. I run torps, mines, and beams on my jemmy dread. I don't aux2bat, set macros to do my heavy lifting, I barely use hotkeys. I think having a PVP/PVE build is freaking silly.

In tabletop gaming is rule that most players and GMs go by. Don't break anything. GMs don't put the team into a fight they can't win and players don't make the GM bust a blood vessel (ie don't do broken stuff). Have Cryptic been the best GMs? They have not been the worst. Have you been a good player? Now wait before you say "Cryptic is to blame." Cryptic made you make a build so insanely powerful the only counter for it is to listen? Cryptic made you grind out all that EC you needed to outfit your ship.

"But wait. If they did not want us to be so broken they would have stopped us."

*Points to double tap, old borg set, cryo weapons, rep traits and all of the other fixes they have done*

Yes they do make mistakes, and yes they do take their time to bring fixes to major flaws. But if you think the blame is 100% on them? You all (PVP and PVE cheesers) throw brick sizes lumps of cash at them for the cheese you say you are so much against.

You all say skill beats gear. Then show us. Just take a freshly opened mirror ship into a PVP match. No cheese weapons, no cheese consoles, no lockbox ship, no marion or any other doff.

Just your crew, your skills, and wits. Up for the test? ;)

Edit: I never brag about my DPS.

Thank you for confirming what I said :cool:

Ha! I was in the same boat, too. Got the Marion DOFF and was practicing on a Fleet Norgh when the changes were implemented.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for confirming what I said :cool:

First I wutted and then I remembered. A lot of people only hear what they want to hear. KDF and Starfleet share that nasty habit.

Common Ground.

Soon everyone will be one big happy family and then we can end PVP.

Maybe even give Feds more cloaks
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You know, I always thought it was the crutch that Aux2Batt gave people meant they couldn't play the game.
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We've all seen them...those players in the pvp maps that are cloaked doing there buffing then run up on you with a tractor beam and in less than the blink of an eye destroy your ship with 11k shields each facing and 51k hull....some of you reading this may even be that person. :rolleyes:

But, why I ask is Beam Overload so powerful and why is it that even when it punches whats left of your shields it continues on to do hull damage of an enourmous amount? :confused:

Seems that when it takes out 7k+ of shields...the amount that the dual cannons didnt catch....it doesn't stop there. :eek: It miraculously keeps travelling after kitting 7k worth of shields to do 23k hull damage. :eek: Why?

Makes no sense in keeping true to the Star Trek name. Never did I see something so powerful in all the movies and series. <==mind blown==>

It is adorable that you need to complain that the nasty man blew up your ship.

You might as well complain about crit-stacked high yield or stat boosted FBP. BO has only been a potent spike shot since I don't know, forever?

You never saw anything as powerful in the series? What about the Gal-X phaser lance? What about the Chin'toka weapons platforms? What about the 8472 bio weapons? I could go on, but I do not want to show you up in front of the other children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
    edited May 2014
    You know, I always thought it was the crutch that Aux2Batt gave people meant they couldn't play the game.

It's just a tool for a workable layout. It mitigates the poor tactical options for Eng heavy cruisers.

It just so happens that on Tactical geared vessels it becomes monstrous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited May 2014
    Yeah, well, I don't think that Engineering-heavy ships SHOULD have to lean on the crutch.

My Engineer uses Cruisers, that's all he's ever used, and he does just fine in whatever content without leaning on Aux2Batt.

I also think that it promotes the lazy gameplay of /follow + smash space bar after you keybind A2B and FAW and whatever else to space bar.

BUT

I guess that's neither here nor there...

Shields were shot through by a Beam Overload and someone is flat-out indignant about it!

RARRR!! RAAAAAAGE!!! HULK SMASH!!!

Build a bridge, get over it.

Oh, and the fact that you're playing a Star Trek game and calling people nerds...that right there is comedy gold.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, well, I don't think that Engineering-heavy ships SHOULD have to lean on the crutch.

My Engineer uses Cruisers, that's all he's ever used, and he does just fine in whatever content without leaning on Aux2Batt.

I also think that it promotes the lazy gameplay of /follow + smash space bar after you keybind A2B and FAW and whatever else to space bar.

BUT

I guess that's neither here nor there...

Shields were shot through by a Beam Overload and someone is flat-out indignant about it!

RARRR!! RAAAAAAGE!!! HULK SMASH!!!

Build a bridge, get over it.

Oh, and the fact that you're playing a Star Trek game and calling people nerds...that right there is comedy gold.

Cruisers with a Lieutenant Tac benefit from ATB hugely. Without it, doing fine is more like doing average. Though spacebar mashing isn't confined to ATB. That is just the game.

I wouldn't say it is comedy gold. Trek fans are usually geeks, but many are not nerds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The amount of stupid responses in this thread is so high that I refuse to bother writing much.
    Really you pretend to come here in rant mood and complain about overload with a couple of messages active?

For those like the OP (and I swear there are a lot in here) there is Control Panel > uninstall a program > Star Trek Online. No one is going to miss you.

Maybe a mod to close this thread please?
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Maybe a mod to close this thread please?

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Worried about BO? Try some speed sti....

Wait wrong BO...

How about...

CRF, BO, TS (cause it nevahhh evaaaaaaaaaah misses), iso, tier 5 nukara, STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD, some romulan siuper beam like the ion thing, gravitorp, ramming speed, proton barrage, the kitchen sink, your mothers fruitcake, 20 tons of fun, and a cherry poptart all thrown at you within 3 seconds.

And youre worried about BO >_>
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Wait wrong BO...

How about...

CRF, BO, TS (cause it nevahhh evaaaaaaaaaah misses), iso, tier 5 nukara, STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD, some romulan siuper beam like the ion thing, gravitorp, ramming speed, proton barrage, the kitchen sink, your mothers fruitcake, 20 tons of fun, and a cherry poptart all thrown at you within 3 seconds.

Even that...blowing things up with conventional weapons instead of all the clickies is so 2409. :P
    edited May 2014

Wait wrong BO...

How about...

Talk dirty to me. *Saxophone*
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Ikr?

Just think if we still had the ability triple stack BO at that. Blow some minds I bet.

Besides, some of these 'kids' (relatively speaking in terms of PvP) haven't dealt with some truly horrifying things in PvP from the past. Like...

50 second Graviton Pulse
    Original, unnerfed SNB DOFFs
    The Bug when it was first released

And so on.

Why when I pvped (sips geratol) we had to fly through 3 feet of snow up hill both ways to get a match.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited May 2014
    When I PvP'd...

Oh wait, I don't actually PvP, I just laugh at the PvPers misery over something that killed them and they find the need to rage against.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    When I PvP'd...

Oh wait, I don't actually PvP, I just laugh at the PvPers misery over something that killed them and they find the need to rage against.

Actually, playing pvp is stupid, so, i really dont care who others pvpers will say, only a fraction of STO players do pvp. And is for a reason. I never rage against pvp, only when i see dumb posts like this one lol. Ive playing only pve since, well ages ago.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Really gotta love how PvPers think "if you don't play PvP you have no right to say anything at all."

Since PvP in this game is gigantically borked and you all think it has to change everything in the game, I think some self examination is needed plus the fact PVP in this game really needs an overhaul.

But sorry, you all don't get to say "just because we do PvP we are right the rest of you are wrong." Egotism at it's finest.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Really gotta love how PvPers think...

Stereotype much, eh?
  • jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Leave them be, VD, before they start blaming PvP for AIDS too.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Leave them be, VD, before they start blaming PvP for AIDS too.

The immune system was getting too powerful, it needed a counter. But it wasn't because of PvP, virus aren't even playable.

(virusdancers, on the other hand...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We've all seen them...those players in the pvp maps that are cloaked doing there buffing then run up on you with a tractor beam and in less than the blink of an eye destroy your ship with 11k shields each facing and 51k hull....some of you reading this may even be that person. :rolleyes:

But, why I ask is Beam Overload so powerful and why is it that even when it punches whats left of your shields it continues on to do hull damage of an enourmous amount? :confused:

Seems that when it takes out 7k+ of shields...the amount that the dual cannons didnt catch....it doesn't stop there. :eek: It miraculously keeps travelling after kitting 7k worth of shields to do 23k hull damage. :eek: Why?

Makes no sense in keeping true to the Star Trek name. Never did I see something so powerful in all the movies and series. <==mind blown==>

http://www.memes.com/meme/121608
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The immune system was getting too powerful, it needed a counter. But it wasn't because of PvP, virus aren't even playable.

(virusdancers, on the other hand...)
    Technically speaking, viruses are playable, along with several other kind of diseases. But not on this game though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Why when I pvped (sips geratol) we had to fly through 3 feet of snow up hill both ways to get a match.

And that's presuming we even GOT a match in the first place!
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • obeythenagusobeythenagus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You just simply have to keep at it. Keep learning, digging up info. Refine your own build, your own playstyle. Try new things, get schooled, learn, refine, then go back in the fight. Repeat the process.

I've slowed down on PVP but it is the only dynamic thing in STO. It is the only challenge in STO, because let's all be honest here:

The PVE in this game is retardedly simple and the bar even at "Elite" is set very, very, very, very low. The NPCs don't do too much. The only real difficulty is cheesey stuff like "Borg Invisitorps" or the infamous "Donatra Insta Thalaron" which are really the only things that kill you in PVE. Nothing in the missions, nothing anywhere else in the PVE of this game is a challenge. The only daunting thing is how much shield and hullpoints there are.

That's it.

But PVP? It's the only dynamic thing. People coming with different builds, different playstyles. PVP enough and you'll know the quality names of players out there. You'll see all kinds of different skill levels. Guys who are brand new. Guys who suck. Guys who are decent. Guys who are good. Guys who will beat you any different way you want to play. You got guys flying exotic ships, 9 console ships, freebie ships, with all kinds of assorted gear for their style. Some are effective with it, some not.

And that's the beauty. It's varied. It's actual thinking players fighting with and against you. You can be effective one match then get steamrolled the next. Or you may go on winning and losing streaks. But at one point or another you're going to get crushed. Learn from it, improve, then go back in.

The laughable, predictable, stagnant PVE in this game doesn't provide anything dynamic at all. It's all the same. It's all the same step procedures. The AI will ALWAYS be dumb, armed with only immense hullpoints and cheesey attacks like the Invisitorp (target player; die). The NPCs will never come at you with different armaments, different abilities (if they even have any), different tactics.

We should actually pity the NPCs in this game. We spam stuff like APB, BFAW3, CSV/CRF, Torp Spread, Grav Torps, Grav Well, etc. every second, and the NPCs barely do anything in return. Almost all of them don't even do repairs, they don't do stuff like we do at the rates like we do.

In PVE, people gloat about high DPS. But against what? NPCs that don't do ****.

In PVP, if you can gloat that you win a lot, contribute to your team's success against other players (because not everyone is a high Kill Count Machine), and be a regularly decent player, that speaks more. Because against other players, anything and everything can happen.

Unlike the dumb NPCs in this game that don't do ****.

<3 best post about why pvp is good, EVAR
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Two things. The people who are doing that are tacticals because none of the other careers can get that to work.

And second, the shield system is terrible in this game. Many of the science captains kinetic abilities are completely useless when the enemy has 75 points of a shield facing when using these skills. They have some work ahead of them if they at all care about balance but I doubt they will do anything about it.