test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is the new DS9 gonna be in game with Expansion 2??

ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
In the novels the old DS9 has been destroyed, and a new one has been built and rededicated. Are we gonna see it in game?

I know it would take time, and a reworking of the Dominion FE, but it would bring STO inline with what's happening in the prime timeline.

And before anyone says it's soft canon, a precedent has been set with the Vesta and Luna class ship designs, both from the novels.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Post edited by ravin on

Comments

• Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Extremely unlikely given that DS9 is an "iconic" location.
    In fact Cryptic got rid of the original and newer ESD in favour of the old classic ESD on popular demand.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The time primeline basically splintered after Nemesis. The novels and STO follow two branches of it.

Heck, there was even a novel that tied into STO which explicitly said that the Destiny novels and STO are two different timelines. Inter4estingly enough, the novel suggested that the pre-Destiny novels were part of STO's timeline and NOT part of the timeline of the current novels.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The timeline is not the same between STO and the novels. So what happens in one does not affect the other. Also, since expansion 2 deals with the delta quadrant, I would doubt anything will be done to DS9.

They will wait until they do a Gamma Quad expansion before they touch DS9.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Brannon Braga also more or less created a third Prime timeline when he did TNG: Hive. In that he blew up Andoria and killed off Seven.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh and re: DS9. I believe the stated desire of more than one Cryptic employee (not management, just employee wishes) is to remake DS9's interior from scratch in a more canon and more stylish style. Which would be security and infirmary, shops that are more than kiosks, revamped Quark's, etc. Not a promise or anything but I think that may have a chance sometime next year as they get closer to remastering the DS9 eps, which I've heard three Cryptic folks cite as a weak point in the game's leveling.

My impression is that Romulan missions will get a pass first and that IF DS9 missions became a focus (and this would be the last round of remastering), Taco would probably go to bat for improving DS9. And he's said he would remake the actual map from the ground up, based on the version from the shows.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The timeline is not the same between STO and the novels. So what happens in one does not affect the other. Also, since expansion 2 deals with the delta quadrant, I would doubt anything will be done to DS9.

They will wait until they do a Gamma Quad expansion before they touch DS9.
    Yes, this. All indications are that the upcoming Expansion Pack will take place in the Delta Quadrant - and will probably include the top aliens from the Voyager Poll they had late last year.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ravin wrote: »
    In the novels the old DS9 has been destroyed, and a new one has been built and rededicated. Are we gonna see it in game?

I know it would take time, and a reworking of the Dominion FE, but it would bring STO inline with what's happening in the prime timeline.

And before anyone says it's soft canon, a precedent has been set with the Vesta and Luna class ship designs, both from the novels.

wont happen and then there is licensing issues to work out. the current game ds9 could most certainly use a facelift, but stay true to its original cardassian appearance, just more bends and curves to the station itself visually, windows more smaller, station sized up a little, give it that impressive appearance that is cardassian architecture, weapons ports and locations more in line with the original ds9. internally really needs upgrades, it should look more vibrant and on busy days, very colorful, an audio buzz from the populace in the area but not annoying when on playback. an excellent chance to bring other races to the station for trading opportunities. outside appearance seen from the promenade second level view ports should look more visually impressive then it is, random open and closing of the wormhole, ships coming and going, but spread it out over time instead of moments and when ships dock they should hit the right port and look like they are trading with the station, either drop off or crew visit. then you got the 2800 FE that will need to upgrade as well, i would imagine rebuilt from the ground up to make greater use of current game storyline, before and after the iconian reveal. that way after the reveal you can as a fed get a mission off stass and help both starfleet and the empire, vice versa for a klingon and kurland. and yes kurland needs a personality.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Those books from what I read about them are almost like a alternate splinter verse in the area of JJTrek splintering. We have none of that stuff in game, Sisko never came back, we don't have the Typhon pact, and the wormhole and DS9 are still intact.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Sisko never came back

Yet. He left his baseball in his office -- and he'd never leave his baseball unless he was planning on coming back for it. ;)

As for the OP. It's already been answered, but I'll just clarify some things.

Cryptic has a particular deal with CBS Studios in regards to the license. Some things they were able to pick and choose to have from the novels (Mackenzie Calhoun, the Titan, etc.), and some they were not. They specifically stated they pick and choose what to keep and what to get rid of. For instance Janeway is (presumably) still alive.

They usually get involved in lengthy negotiations if they want to incorporate other things from the novels that were not originally part of their licensing deal.

For instance it took a few years of communications before STO was allowed to put the Vesta-class in STO, since it was not originally part of the license they were given. However, since the licensors involved weren't complete jerks, we were finally able to get it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If they do revamp DS9, I want:

Holosuites added to Quarks (even if they are just Mission / Foundry doors).

Circular promenade stairs like they had on the actual DS9 set.

Add the Security Office, Infirmary, Assay office, and the various restaurants.

Visitable docking rings.

The ability to play darts (even if NPCs are pretending to play it).

Why would they destroy DS9 when it's a place Star Trek fans would want to visit?

And they made it clear that they get ideas from some of the novels, but not everyone is going to be added to STO.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Brannon Braga also more or less created a third Prime timeline when he did TNG: Hive. In that he blew up Andoria and killed off Seven.

There is only one Prime Timeline and that is reserved for any TV series or movies that is set after Nemesis.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OP: God I hope not that thing is ugly as TRIBBLE. Looks like something a buck rogers knockoff would visit.

Wow, how petty can you get?
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Brannon Braga also more or less created a third Prime timeline when he did TNG: Hive. In that he blew up Andoria .

Are you sure that was a 3rd time line ?
    Because it fits in with the rest of "blow up stations & destroy planets" for that cheap OMG factor that is prevalent in Pocketbooks these days .

... and yes , I get what you're saying and you're probably right ... even if according to that standard , we have a large number of parallel universes already , as many books contradict each other ...
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OP: God I hope not that thing is ugly as TRIBBLE. Looks like something a buck rogers knockoff would visit.

He should have been Admiral Buck Sheehan instead of Jack...just saying.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I want a Klingon restaurant in DS9, if they ever do tweaks to it. It was my favorite in the show... :(
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I want a Klingon restaurant in DS9, if they ever do tweaks to it. It was my favorite in the show... :(

Man that would be so cool. :(
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Most books written after Nemesis are TRIBBLE anyways. I don't want any of it in STO to be honest.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    macfelly wrote: »
    Most books written after Nemesis are TRIBBLE anyways. I don't want any of it in STO to be honest.

rather have something TRIBBLE from the books that makes sense then anything that non canon jjcrap anyday.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't think they want to destroy DS9 ever, since it's an iconic location and an appeal of the game to revisit all those locations as player.

A DS9 revamp is certainly something that could be possbiel, but probably not in Expansion 2. Tacofangs (one of the artists for this game) is lobbying for it, but he also said that it is not in the works yet, and since expasion 2 is in the works, I figure it won't make it for Expansion 2. Especially if you consider that the direction of this expansion was probably partially decided by the results of a poll on the website which asked what the next focus of the game should be - and the Delta Quadrant and Voyager won.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    DS9 ingame will remain a Cardassian station. Don't expeect that ugly thing from the novels in STO. As stated by the Devs, they are writing from canon only. They can use fanon if they get the licensing allright (see the Vesta), but they will not have to pay attention to any storyline.

The storyline STO follows is that of the series and movies, and then the Path to 2409 to finish it (readable on the STOwiki). And I don't see anything about DS9 being blown up there. In fact, all it ever did in the meantime was guarding a wormhole that was only used on occasion (since the Dominion War did make clear the other side was not too fond of the Alpha/Beta quadrant powers).

But a remastered version, accurate to the series, would be awesome. The canon locations, the circular staircases, Quark's actually being Quark's as its supposed to be, all connected in one map. That would be appreciated. Taco, you have a go from pretty much everyone here, I guess.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    DS9 is not going anywhere. Im sure they could get the licence to the new design but why would they? the vesta adds something but takes nothing away. if you have never read the books then its just another random ship out of dozens. its not like we lost the galaxy class to accommodate it.

star trek fans want to see ds9, especially any new player. some new design they have never seen before is going to confuse and annoy them.

at best we have some episode where we cross over to the book's timeline and see the station but i doubt it.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I doubt we'll get two space station overhauls in one year.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We've been over this a hundred times...

There will be no "new" DS9.

As it has been stated before in this thread: People WANT DS9 to be there... During beta, the nitpicking on the original (and more canon sized) DS9 was heavy... Imagine what would happen if they removed it alltogether.

Secondly: The "new" DS9 from the book is not a reasonable replacement.

IF Starfleet was to lose the current DS9 to destruction, the first thing they would do is put a REAL Federation starbase there, that not only confers with Starfleet Specs and Tech, but is also easily maintainable by Starfleet.

It makes Z-E-R-O sense to build a single non-mass-produced station to a location of limited strategic value... Yes sure the wormhole is important yada yada yada, but ensuring the safety of that particular little patch of space is easily doable with... say... Cloaked mines or Defense platforms.

The Idea that Starfleet would chose to build a Cardassian-look-alike station in the system that has such deeply rooted hate towards Cardassians would also be a very silly.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    ddemlongddemlong Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2014
    Man that would be so cool. :(

But it has to be that big fat klingon chef
    I use to do 100K DPS, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 242658 (243540) Kinetic Damage (Critical) to you.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    By all means, overhaul it to be more show accurate inside. But leave the exterior. It's iconic. It's awesome. That new ds9 in the books make no sense. Why close up the docking pylons so they form a giant gimble? What's the point in that? And as said above, it's disrespectful to the Bajorans to base it on cardassian design. Why would they even do that? Why not just plonk in a standard fed station? And DS9 is a Bajoran station. Ok, Bajor is now in the Federation, but I'm sure they would get a say in the matter.

If they were to put in new stations into the game, I'd like to see some Regula 1 type stations floating around out there. Or some based on the Armagosa observatory. Now they were some sweet stations.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Secondly: The "new" DS9 from the book is not a reasonable replacement.

I still get flashbacks of the original STO ESD when I see that. What a terrible design. :(
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I still get flashbacks of the original STO ESD when I see that. What a terrible design. :(
    I really loved the original spacedock, a lot more than the space mushroom we have now.

@OP, novels are not cannon. While sometimes they pick a few things from the novels (some quote, the Romulan language, the vesta and a few things, usually small and not directly related to the main storyline), they are not cannon.
    So, DS9 will stay the way it is, unless something happen in STO, or a non JJtrek movie (unlikely).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    causalityeffectcausalityeffect Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cheapest way to get DS9 in a new expansion = Have the powers build DS10 in the Delta Quadrant.

As a station DS9 has proven itself to be a highly effective design so copying it to other starbases would be sensible. Additionally, it manages to re-use ingame assets which can be cloned between the two stations with some alterations.

This also has the wonderful benefit of being able to bring back the old DS9 fleet action with Delta Quadrant species.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, swap an iconinc location that had an entire ST show revolving around it and more or less everyone is familiar with, with something from a book that I'm fairly certain not even 20% of the people that play STO have seen and heard of. :rolleyes:

Why is this thread back again?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Personally just about every single space station should get a face lift. I mean except for getting promoted which you have to go back to ESD, you should be able to do EVERY other function at DS9, K-7, Starbase 39 and DS9 and even the new joint starbase.

I mean if I want to retrain a BOFF, I have to fly clear back to ESD to do so instead of just flying to the nearest friendly port like if I am out there DS9.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1