test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Er, so why am I still killing Klingons and Romulans? in 2410?

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Breaking the Planet asks me to kill Klingon soldiers at a mining colony.

IIRC, Federation Fleet Alert includes Klingons and Romulans.

Federation Starbase Incursion, etc.

Klingon Scout Force asks me to eliminate the Klingon threat in Federation space.

Starbase 24 asks me to stop a Klingon invasion force.

If it is 2410, why is the game asking me to eliminate the threats posed by my new allies? Just curious.

Wouldn't it be better to just revamp these missions with different enemies? Or restrict them to levels prior to the new FE?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• Options
    awesometificawesometific Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Even though the war with the Klingons has ended due to the events of Undine invasion there are still factions that are hostile to the Federation. The Chancellor disavows thier actions.

We are allies with the Romulan Republic. There is still a Romulan Empire ran and supported by the Tal'Shiar. So with the Romulan Empire and thier Hirogen allies they are still hostile to the Federation, Klingons and our Republic allies.

Hope this helps.
    Fleet Admiral Marcus Red-Six
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd like to think of STO as a theme-park style MMO, with various missions frozen in points of time that anyone could revisit.

All those past STFs / mission replays are probably the player characters reliving their experiences on the Holodeck.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

Klingon Scout Force asks me to eliminate the Klingon threat in Federation space.

If it is 2410, why is the game asking me to eliminate the threats posed by my new allies? Just curious.

Wouldn't it be better to just revamp these missions with different enemies? Or restrict them to levels prior to the new FE?

It's too much work for Cryptic to change all those missions which don't make story sense any more. They hardly get played so they are very low on the "white board" of things to do.

However, I believe a Borg Lock Box is right at the TOP!!:eek::P
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I sincerly believe that ending the war is the most utterly stupid thing Cryptic has done to date.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I sincerly believe that starting the war is the most utterly stupid thing Cryptic has done to date.

Fixed that for you.

But yeah, the game is pretty much a theme park. The war will never end in Ker'rat!
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *sings* Lets do the time warp again!

Ps Rocky Horror hunour aside where does it say we are now in 2410? Not that it doesn't make sense of course.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sumghai wrote: »
    I'd like to think of STO as a theme-park style MMO, with various missions frozen in points of time that anyone could revisit.

All those past STFs / mission replays are probably the player characters reliving their experiences on the Holodeck.

This really is the best solution. Everything else in the game besides the Undine-based STFs and "Surface Tension" is set in 2409, pre-ceasefire, but starting now, content happens in 2410.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    consider yourself a time traveler, everything up to the FE is 2409. FE is 2410. Finish the FE, you go back to 2409...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

But yeah, the game is pretty much a theme park. The war will never end in Ker'rat!

No. The idea of a Federation-Klingon War has merit. It's a bit of Star Trek tradition because the 2 major powers have been in numerous conflicts and wars against each other. The idea has merit even for STO. But the REAL failure is Cryptic. Their haphazard idea for stories, inconsistency of the setting (Feds & KDF are killing each other, but are working together against some new bully or something stupid). Lastly, doing utterly nothing in fleshing out the war.

TOS / Kirk-era movies, TNG, DS9, all had points where the Federation & Klingon Empire were at each others throats. Some of Trek's best arcs have involved conflict between the two powers, or during peaceful times, edging to the threat of an all-out war and the calamity that entails.

Cryptic did a very poor job promoting it. The fact people said that it didn't feel like they were in a war should mean alot in how Cryptic fleshed out the war.

Oh, and on KDF side for the "Marauder" DOFF missions, we still get to raid Federation shipping, colonies, etc. and capture items and prisoners. Prisoners we can:

- Sell to Orion Slavers
    - Send en masse to a Prisoner Mining Colony or something.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For me it is as simple as that content being stuff that occurs prior to Surface Tension ending the war.

I personally wouldn't want to lose those old missions, or see them reworked.

Example. SB24 you can start doing at what? Level 3?
    At level 3 you are still in 2409 experiencing the low level story stuff where we are still at war.
    SB24 is a fun queue event at that level. Why change it?

Going forward from here on , it's 2410, but I see no reason to get rid of the old stuff. None.

Just my Opinion
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As most of the people here have stated, because most of those missions happen in the past in 2409. Congratulations, you are now a time traveler.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As most of the people here have stated, because most of those missions happen in the past in 2409. Congratulations, you are now a time traveler.

Always have been...it's what having the replay option has been about. Though, it's more akin to us all being Reginald Barclay - you know, the server's named Holodeck and everything. Almost everything instanced...everything replayable...it's been there from the start for most folks.

It's kind of odd that it's getting brought up now...when it's always been there, eh?
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No. The idea of a Federation-Klingon War has merit. It's a bit of Star Trek tradition because the 2 major powers have been in numerous conflicts and wars against each other. The idea has merit even for STO. But the REAL failure is Cryptic. Their haphazard idea for stories, inconsistency of the setting (Feds & KDF are killing each other, but are working together against some new bully or something stupid). Lastly, doing utterly nothing in fleshing out the war.

TOS / Kirk-era movies, TNG, DS9, all had points where the Federation & Klingon Empire were at each others throats. Some of Trek's best arcs have involved conflict between the two powers, or during peaceful times, edging to the threat of an all-out war and the calamity that entails.

Cryptic did a very poor job promoting it. The fact people said that it didn't feel like they were in a war should mean alot in how Cryptic fleshed out the war.

Oh, and on KDF side for the "Marauder" DOFF missions, we still get to raid Federation shipping, colonies, etc. and capture items and prisoners. Prisoners we can:

- Sell to Orion Slavers
    - Send en masse to a Prisoner Mining Colony or something.

Isn't like the vast majority if not all the alternate timelines ones where the Federation and the Empire have been either hostile or openly at war?

Klingon culture and federation values just don't mesh.
    The Federation wants everyone to live in peace and be one big happy family.
    The Klingon Empire on the other hand is an expansionist empire with a feudal warrior society.

Throughout all of TOS and the movies up to ST6 the Klingons have always been antagonistic towards the federation.
    Even once they made peace it was an uneasy and strained peace at that.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I guess they should take out the Borg STF's since we are dealing with Sphere stuff, and we killed the Queen in the Alpha Quadrant? :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Klingon culture and federation values just don't mesh.
    The Federation wants everyone to live in peace and be one big happy family.
    The Klingon Empire on the other hand is an expansionist empire with a feudal warrior society.

They're both expansionist empires hellbent on conquering the known universe. The Klingons are at least honest in they're going about doing it...while the Federation is more along the lines of gilded whispers in the night like some demon preying upon the innocent.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I guess they should take out the Borg STF's since we are dealing with Sphere stuff, and we killed the Queen in the Alpha Quadrant? :confused:

Heh, could you imagine if all content was first come first serve.

Joe Random: "Looking forward to playing that new content..."
    Random Joe: "Didn't you hear? Somebody already did it..."
    Joe Random: "So what do we do?"
    Random Joe: "I hear Branflakes went to some game with dinosaurs without freakin' lasers on their heads..."
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Or Bill Murray. :D

In all seriousness, according to STO "lore" every STF only happens once in a certain order. Even though most of the story has been taken out of them, even the borg stfs have a certain order.

(If you're curious it's Infected Space -> Infected Ground -> Cure Ground -> Cure Space -> Khitomer Space -> Khitomer Ground -> Hive Ground -> Hive Space)

So even though you can run through them at any time in any order, there is still canonical order to every Queue event. So SB24 happens before the Undine Peace Conference, the Undine STF's happen after the events of the 2800, any encounters in Starbase Defense either occur before Surface Tension or they're rogue groups unaffiliated with their parent party.

In short, read the lore and use your imagination to fill in the blanks. It's not that hard. :D
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As suggested in another thread, I'm guessing maybe they're going at this in phases, with last season first allowing us cross-faction pvp for the first time, this season doing it properly with full cross-teaming pvp.

And future updates/seasons gradually 'updating' the game to acknowledge a more unified effort between the 3 factions.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My immersion! It's ruined! *tears hair out*

I can't take it!!! :eek:
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not actually 2410 until the Nexus opens.

And that is happening in 2016 for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek, where we get a full double Featured Episode with guest stars Patrick Stewart and William Shatner reprising their roles as Picard and Kirk.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The real question is why are these Klingons and Romulans trying to kill me? I go into SB24 and I am +45 to them and they are still trying to kill me. Shame on them! :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Dude, when I replay "Coliseum" why am I still confronted by Hakeev? Didn't I kill that guy in "Cutting the Cord"...? Cryptic needs to revamp those missions...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    AFAICT, STO uses three different time models:

The SP episodes occur in a linearly sequential timeline. You can go all temporal on them if you want to, but the timeline they are in progresses linearly. Outcomes do not change. And we have not yet lived the future of this timeline, so this timeline actually has a future as well as a past and present.

The MP universe (consisting of social zones and adventure zones) is in that timeline, but operates under a time dilation effect--we think we're moving at normal time, but the rest of the universe doesnt see us moving at all. Nothing here ever changes, and nothing we do here has any effect on anything outside the bubble. The Klingon Hich Council is forever authorizing an attack on Starbase 24, regardless of the current state of affairs in the SP timeline.

Coop missions (queued events) are IDIC variations. Everytime you run ISE, you create a temporal divergance for an alternative timeline--you arent replaying the battle here so what you do has no effect on the timeline here, instead you are in an alternate timeline and are affecting that universe. Some of these are in the future and so they have not even happened here yet.

The wheels come off when the universes bump into each other. Specifically the MP universe reflects different points in the SP timeline, rather than a single divergence. Some parts of the MP universe are stuck at the beginning of the SP story arc, other parts of it are stuck at later times. I mean, things like Klingon signal contacts in Sirius reflect the early part of the SP campaign, but then other parts of the MP universe reflect a post-Hakeev timeline that is quite a bit further in the future. So the MP universe is not so much fixed-in-time as it is fixed-in-multiple-times-simultaneously. This is a mistake; bad fiction is disruptive which makes for bad gameplay.

Some games with SP/MP mixed content have the SP campaign build up to an end-game that becomes the MP universe, but Cryptic keeps adding SP content and moving the SP timeline forward, so that doesnt really work here. An alternative approach is to make the MP universe the prime timeline, and have the story progress in the shared public space instead of in SP episodes. For example, you could have a large server-wide event where ESD and the Klingon shipyard are attacked by Undine, rather than telling that story in SP episdoes. By doing that, the story progresses sequentially for everybody, even people who arent logged in. If you want to make the content available you can give IDIC variations as a way to replay it.

ps--this is the main reason that STO is primarily a SP game rather than an MP game. There is no shared universe that progresses along, but instead everything important happens in the SP timeline, and the MP universe is just a lobby/trophy room for the SP campaign.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The rationale Roiddenberry used for Stardates initially was that due to time dilation and FTL travel, ships' timelines would be out of sync and so stardates are an agreed upon time synced to whatever time they say it is back on earth.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The rationale Roiddenberry used for Stardates initially was that due to time dilation and FTL travel, ships' timelines would be out of sync and so stardates are an agreed upon time synced to whatever time they say it is back on earth.

Except that doesn't make any sense either. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2014

That doesn't make sense, given what we know of warp drives. Since the drives are warping space, the ship doesn't actually move, space does, so there's zero time dilation.
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's too much work for Cryptic to change all those missions which don't make story sense any more. They hardly get played so they are very low on the "white board" of things to do.

However, I believe a Borg Lock Box is right at the TOP!!:eek::P

You're talking about a massive part of the leveling process.

It is good to see where you came from to be honest even if things get shifted along the way.

You would have to rewrite the entire plot essentially.

Everything you did builds UP to this point. Only vice admiral game players really should be getting the scope of the current scene.

Playing it before this would break immersion but if you're taking it from the top and making a new character these missions really do help you get the ball rolling and understanding WHY things happened not just 'boom' they happen.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

Just see the events as a practice holodeck program I think thats a good thought ?!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Remember, the Romulans that are trying to kill you are from the Star Empire which is still our enemy. The Klingons can be retconed as a rogue house.