test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did the minimum system requirements change?

So admittedly it has been a while since I have played STO (in the Months area). So I log on today, get a message that my graphics have been reset to default, and find the general graphics quality of the game (as I see it) is now poor. Everything looks pixelated and the smooth clear graphics I once enjoyed are gone. game also runs very slow, but that could be because i was in ESD at the time.

I tried fixing the graphics settings in game, but could see no improvement. Did the minimum system requirements suddenly change? Is there some way to improve my graphics so the game looks as great as I remember it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Now when Season 9 started, I found that my frame rates in SB24 was tanking to a stop action slide show when the ship combat went into a giant furball... After some investigating, I found that the Video Quality settings, which were originally set to 'Medium' quality, now defaulted to 'High' quality. Setting them back to 'Medium' greatly improved the combat frame rates...

In addition to checking your quality sliders, it sounds like your system has been set to 'half-resolution'.. Typing in the chat window '/renderscale 1' is suppose to manually set this back to normal, but supposedly, there is known 'bug' and the 'half-resolution' setting itself, and currently can't be made to stick...
  • cornelius0cornelius0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Did the minimum system requirements suddenly change?

I have to say, probably yes for the game graphics, although no official information came out concerning this issue. Such image quality loss was noticeable when season 8 was launched and much more with season 9.
    Is there some way to improve my graphics so the game looks as great as I remember it?

Well, I changed to a new machine...;)
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've heard that having dynamic lighting on is causing a lot of the slideshows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nah they just overhauled some of the settings to be compatible with newer DX's

Also as said before half res is the new default setting. There is a slider for adjusting the resolution lever as well as the chat command.

And if it still looks like you are gaming through vasoline, there is an option in one of the gfx tabs that says "cinematic" turn that off and it should look closer to what you remember.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i was about to make a post requesting that the minimum specs be updated when i saw this post. when i first started playing two three years ago, my PC (laptop) could play this game at max resolution setting (graphics details maxed out and resolution set to maximum @ 1680x945).
    since season 8, I have noticed that my system is gradually no longer able to handle the game at those settings as more features are added to the game. i cant even play the new undine battlezone becuase framerate is so bad. even reducing resolution to 1280x720 does not help. yes the game does look awesome with season 9, but the recommended and minmum specs for the game really need to be updated for the game. as currently listed, according to recommended specs i should be able to run this game with no problems what so ever, but this is not the case.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • fauxgreyfauxgrey Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Try switching the render settings back to DirectX 9.
    The graphics settings of STO get set by default to whatever DirectX is highest on your card.
    So if you have an older card that was released when the newer DirectX-es were coming into play, the game will force load the new version, and our older cards dont like that, so switch back the renderer to ye-olde DirectX9.

Also your big framerate-nommers would be Antiantilising, Texture filtering, Vsync (is there an option for that in STO? It's late and I'm half-asleep.) and most importantly, your resolution.

I laughed when season 9 defaulted my graphics to maximum, it's being very optimistic considering the hardware I have.

Is there not a graphics guide floating on the forums somewhere? If not, someone remind me to do one this weekend. >...>
    Only a fool seeks meaning from a bowl of oatmeal.