What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

People hate the new green phasers

Comments

• Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Romulans use plasma weaponry, presumably, because it's cheap. Forced plasma beams are rather more primitive than advanced particle weapons like disruptors or phasers. Either that, or they scavenged them from Borg ships.

Oh and also? I'm reasonably sure that these phasers being green has nothing to do with cost savings. Aloishammer, do you have any idea how easy it is to change the color of an effect like that? Even if the phaser effect didn't already exist, all they'd have to do would be alter the shade of the texture. They wouldn't even have to make a new one, as the shape of the beam is identical, unlike with tetryon or antiproton, which look different.
  • Options
    ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They could make them like protonic polarons effect, something like green beam with orange particles or vice versa....only green is just stupid.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Generally, Romulans have been shown to use disruptors (and plasma torpedos).

Plasma beams [Edit: for Romulans] are a STO invention.
    They wanted each playable faction to have a distinctive energy type (the Romulan NPC used disruptor, I don't know if they still do since LOR).
    And technically speaking, the Romulan use disruptor/plasma hybrid weapons in STO.

That's not too far from the lore, while still adding some individuality to a faction that is lacking in individuality in this game. Sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What I don't get is, phasers kind of suck. Everyone knows it. The new Undine rep lets us pick phasers or disruptors that look exactly the same. It doesn't seem like many will pick phasers, in that case. Literally the only reason to use phasers is for certain PvP builds, and to have a canon look to your Starfleet ship's weapons.

I'm not sure what the complaints are against making them orange. As has been pointed out, the phasers, even the bio-molecular ones, were never green, and if you want green, you can pick the already-superior disruptor versions.

This isn't a very big deal for me, honestly. It just means I'm canceling my plans to create a phaser build for my ship. I already use green energy, I might as well save the dilithium.

I like green, too, it's just we already have all kinds of disruptors and plasma beams for that, that again, are much more effective already than phasers.
    erei1 wrote: »
    They wanted each playable faction to have a distinctive energy type (the Romulan NPC used disruptor, I don't know if they still do since LOR).
    And technically speaking, the Romulan use disruptor/plasma hybrid weapons in STO.

I'm actually curious how this will affect future mini-factions. Cardassians and Liberated Borg are at the top of the desired list, and they're pretty well known for phasers and (in-game, at least) plasma, respectively.

I just hope it's not Polaron. I feel like STO really pushes polaron weapons at us, sometimes, probably because for a long time, they were the easiest to get and had an equally-easy-to-get gear set built around them.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh and also? I'm reasonably sure that these phasers being green has nothing to do with cost savings. Aloishammer, do you have any idea how easy it is to change the color of an effect like that? Even if the phaser effect didn't already exist, all they'd have to do would be alter the shade of the texture. They wouldn't even have to make a new one, as the shape of the beam is identical, unlike with tetryon or antiproton, which look different.

I'm also pretty sure you ignored something that couldn't be conveniently handwaved away:
    I further find all the "green Voyager torpedo" claptrap to be exactly what Cryptic hopes for- people buying that malarkey rather than "Look how we can do this season on the cheap- "disruptors" and "phasers" that are the same color, right down to cheaping out on ground weapon models- 1 for anything vaguely rifle-like, one for blast assault/miniguns, and one for pistols."

Ground weapon models aren't (er, weren't pre-Season 9) identical, and the "simple color change" argument for beams themselves doesn't really hold water compared to the time investment of making models for Phaser Split Beam, Phaser High Density Beam, Phaser Sniper, Disruptor Split Beam, Disruptor High Density Beam, Disruptor Sniper...

...but pick and choose all you like, my point that they saved some time and money by drastically reducing the number of ground weapon models still seems to hold water in spite of being able to recolor weapon beams with a couple of mouse clicks. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The Tal Shiar and some Republic vessels on patrol maps that weren't changed use nanite disruptors, and if they really wanted each faction to have its own energy type they should have gone all the way and also made elite fleet plasma weapons and Omega sets.

Nope, they are handing them out through the rep system, but the Romulan NPCs use normal plasma, the Romulan ships come with normal plasma as default equipment, the plasma quad cannon is normal plasma etc. And they all have a slightly different colour than the plasma/disruptor hybrids.
    That's not too far from the lore, while still adding some individuality to a faction that is lacking in individuality in this game. Sadly.

Lacking individuality? O_O The Romulans are the only faction with exclusive social zones, they are the only faction that can have singularity cores and some of the nicest consoles in the game. The Romulans are the only faction that has any individuality left.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    They originally had a command to change the colors, it was removed.

I guess because ...

... CBS said so.

No they were removed because of PVP. People couldnt tell if people where using phasers or disruptors etc so it was confusing as what gear or powers to use to mitigate....

Anyway, I hate, hate, hate the green too. Loaded it on a BO, saw it was bright green and trashed it. Now i get one everday doing rep

Makes no sense that they arent even yellow like the other Undine weapons... but still wouldnt want yellow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Well, the RSE uses Disruptors, some Tal'Shiar use Nanite disruptors, and the RR uses Plasma.

What I find funny is that the most advanced weapons the Feds were mentioned to use in the TV show were Plasma Phasers. :P And in Flashback, Janeway claimed the FEDs used plasma weaponry. It should be noted however that it was mainly the Borg that used green plasma. Plasma weapons used by Nausicaans, V'Ger and Miradorn were blue, the Turei used orange, and several ENT and TOS uses were red, and the Na'kuhl used a white variant.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm also pretty sure you ignored something that couldn't be conveniently handwaved away:

Ground weapon models aren't (er, weren't pre-Season 9) identical, and the "simple color change" argument for beams themselves doesn't really hold water compared to the time investment of making models for Phaser Split Beam, Phaser High Density Beam, Phaser Sniper, Disruptor Split Beam, Disruptor High Density Beam, Disruptor Sniper...

...but pick and choose all you like, my point that they saved some time and money by drastically reducing the number of ground weapon models still seems to hold water in spite of being able to recolor weapon beams with a couple of mouse clicks. :rolleyes:
    Meh... so they made 3 instead of 6.... big fat hairy deal.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually, reducing the number of unique models for hand weaponry may also benefit the game by being less lag-inducing when large numbers of players are on-screen at once. Less unique meshes for the game client to load and display generally equates to faster, smoother graphics rendering.

So it's likely less expensive for the studio not to have to make so many models, better for the gameplay -- all in all, it's probably a pretty practical choice. Might have to chalk that one up to this being, in the end, a computer game.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't mind the green Phaser but used it against undine and don't see it being effective against them. My dyson prototype rifle does more damage against them.
  • Options
    tamerethtamereth Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Green? This has me worried. Is this: •Heavy Bio-Molecular Phaser Turret Mk XII green? Please say it ain't so.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes, it's green.

Cryptic has announced their support for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, and will be bleeding green like Rider fans everywhere.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tamereth wrote: »
    Green? This has me worried. Is this: •Heavy Bio-Molecular Phaser Turret Mk XII green? Please say it ain't so.

Is it Bio-Molecular? Yes? Then it's green. Enjoy.

What's next, Season 10 or...."Season Magenta?" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am going to need to actually play this Season 9 soon to see these green weapons. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i call for a color change maybe pink? :D

no im not for real
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i call for a color change maybe pink? :D

no im not for real
    KCB is pink. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    KCB is pink. :P

ok i will change it to hot pink lmao :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Is it Bio-Molecular? Yes? Then it's green. Enjoy.

What's next, Season 10 or...."Season Magenta?" :rolleyes:

Balls. I wasn't happy about having a turrent, as I run a beam boat, but a green turret. I'm out.
    At this rate I'll still be running standard Mk12 phasers in season 20, and I was so ready to grind out a full new setup for my ship.

(yes I'm one of those guys that only uses cannon weapons)
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why not go for Elite Fleet phasers?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tamereth wrote: »
    (yes I'm one of those guys that only uses cannon weapons)

So how do you run a beam boat if you only use cannons? -ba-dum-TISH!-

Canon weapons can be cannons or beams, it depends on what's canon for the ship in question. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So how do you run a beam boat if you only use cannons? -ba-dum-TISH!-

Canon weapons can be cannons or beams, it depends on what's canon for the ship in question. ;)

I walked straight into that one.

I fly a fleet HEC, and use phaser dual beams (including some fleet) and quantums / and or photons from time to time.

I've been know to use the cutting beam once in a while but it feels wrong.

I've been waiting forever to get a FED themed weapon set, now one finally comes along and they make it Green. :mad:
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    JJ trek has red phasers. That's why its better than oldtrek.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'll probably just stick my my Advanced Fleet Phasers.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    JJ trek has red phasers. That's why its better than oldtrek.

Nonsense.

Real Trek > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Jar Jar Trek
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Man, Cryptic just won't let up will they? There's a ton of green weapons already, varying hues so that a mixes plasma or mixed Disruptor boat looks fine. But when finally, after YEARS there's a new phaser... it can't mix and match with most other phasers? WTF Cryptic, its not rocket science, just make them orange and call it a day. Geeze, I just can't believe they can be so incompetent and oblivious to things. It has to be malice at this point.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nonsense.

Real Trek > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Jar Jar Trek

Jar Jar Trek?

Here you are!

http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/8-4/1jQWNgSPXF-6.png
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Must be a preview from the followup to Into Dumbness. :D
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    quintaris wrote: »
    Why not go for Elite Fleet phasers?

A: They require a T5 Starbase.

B: They're not much better than the Advanced Fleet phasers.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A: They require a T5 Starbase.

B: They're not much better than the Advanced Fleet phasers.
    This really. You lose an ACC mod (I think, haven't looked in a while) for a shield heal.