test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When STO became your go to Game.

vhex333vhex333 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
Okay time to holster any doom and gloom. I love this game and have enjoyed hundreds of hours without really any regrets.

I would just like to know what brings you guts back to STO each time, what do you guys really like about this game. It's good for the devs to know the plus points too, helping them focus on what is wanted etc.

For me, it's got to be the familiar game world, the fantastic and fun space combat and the vast collection of awesome items and tech we can experiment with on our ships, crew and captain. I can't get enough of the ship models, they are fantastic.

There is a tonne of end-game content that keeps expanding and I'm a total sucker for it. I also like the option to buy things. I prefer that a thousand times over being forced to raid the same dungeon a hundred times over for the off chance an item drops.

What brings you guys back to STO?
Post edited by vhex333 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is not my go-to game. I consider it an average MMO, at best; but it is a Trek game, and it is a better Trek game then many give it credit for. Unfortunately Trek means different things to different people; based entirely on which series or movies they liked best. :)

I do agree with you that the Rep System is a better choice then doing the Raid-till-you-get-it approach that many other MMOs take.

I play STO because it is Trek themed. If it were a generic space game I would probably still play it, as there are not a lot of sci-fi games in the market that do not also require you to PvP, but I would probably play it less. I prefer stories over pew-pewing other players.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is my current game simply because all other options are worse, and this was the least bad of all the bad options when my previous better-than-STO game died. When it, too, dies, I will again turn to the list of bad games and pick the least bad one off the list, the wheel will turn, and the decline will continue. There is always more. It is always worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is my current game simply because all other options are worse, and this was the least bad of all the bad options when my previous better-than-STO game died. When it, too, dies, I will again turn to the list of bad games and pick the least bad one off the list, the wheel will turn, and the decline will continue. There is always more. It is always worse.
    I hear they have medications that can help with all that pessimism. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like ships. Especially ones that I can customize. I'm also a big fan of the Dil to Zen exchange.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO became my go-to upon the untimely demise of City of Heroes. I tried Champions Online. Meh. I used to frequent the Trek-themed MUSH sites and loved roleplaying in this universe, so when I happened across STO it was a no-brainer.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I play STO because it is Trek themed. If it were a generic space game I would probably still play it, as there are not a lot of sci-fi games in the market that do not also require you to PvP, but I would probably play it less. I prefer stories over pew-pewing other players.

Agree wholeheartedly, although I probably wouldn't play it if it weren't Trek. Maybe if it were Babylon 5. :)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The space combat is fun (I threw out Star Trek: Tactical Assault for DS because it just could not compare after I played STO XD); the ground combat is fun, even more so after the fast-paced upgrade; the graphics are generally pretty (even if simple at times); the story is interesting enough, especially after it picks up...

And flying your favorite ships, mix-and-matched for your customization preferences is so much fun :P

And this is not just in the spirit of the post; my general opinion of the game lol
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't go-to STO anymore. I've stopped logging in to the game altogether. I'm not sure how far behind I am in patches. I keep checking these boards out of a macabre interest in dead things.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not my "go to" game. But it's one of the few I still play.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is not my go-to game. I don't think I even have one, to be honest. I just play whatever...

What keeps me coming back to STO is Star Trek.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO became my go-to upon the untimely demise of City of Heroes. I tried Champions Online. Meh. I used to frequent the Trek-themed MUSH sites and loved roleplaying in this universe, so when I happened across STO it was a no-brainer.

I feel the same way....RIP COH
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is my go to MMO for a few reasons:

Friends. My friends play the game and its something we can all talk and scheme and plan about as we make a futile attempt to build a SB.

I'm a big fish in a small pond. Or at least it feels that way to me in STO since I got in on the ground floor and have kept up with the game ever since launch. Maybe its just the timing of when it launched and how it synced up with my life but STO is the 1 MMO I have actually spent money on and continue to do so.

Its fun. The two other MMOs I have installed are super competitive and really lean hard on that pay to win model. Sure you can make due without but man you can really feel the difference. And when it comes down to it STO just has the IP to be worth any money I might throw at a game.

The Dil-Zen exchange. I'm not on Cosmic's level but I can have a little fun with that exchange with day trading to earn dill for my SB. Also if someone is patient enough, anything costing zen can be gotten without them spending any money of their own. Single more brilliant thing in a MMO ever.

The SB. Giving clans/fleets some direction apart from just sheer number gathering.

It's fun. I know I said it once but it bears repeating. STO space combat is really fun and with the wide variety of ships you can damn near do anything your imagination can come up with. You can get on that DPS train, make ships that refuse to die, build sci boats that disable ships forever, the list goes on.

tl,dr: STO is fun!
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I hear they have medications that can help with all that pessimism. :D

They do. I take them. Don't really work all that great though. :(
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This the only MMO I've ever played and it's the only game I play. Two reasons. Lack of time to concentrate on anything else and, well, it's Trek.
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO these days is not a go to game for me, if i play sto, it is strictly to waste some time and nothing more.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not the game... It's my fleet... Thats whats keep bringing me back.

If they werent here, I don't think I would log in.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is not my go-to game. I consider it an average MMO, at best; but it is a Trek game, and it is a better Trek game then many give it credit for. Unfortunately Trek means different things to different people; based entirely on which series or movies they liked best. :)

I do agree with you that the Rep System is a better choice then doing the Raid-till-you-get-it approach that many other MMOs take.

this

and, it's Trek

and, wasting time while waiting for the other computer to render or to regenerate my thoughts is just better with space combat :D

and, as i've been here since launch, the game grow on me. the realm is familiar and i really like to be here
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I started playing STO in February 2012, since I found out it was f2p and figured why the hell not. After a rather rough start it began to grow on me, and I hae not backed down ever since. I lost a fleet in the progress, saw friends come and go, had extremely bad PUG runs (45 minute Donatra fight, top that!), and I'm still here. Most of the reason is my fleet, but also the game itself.

I might be immune for the burnout that affects even the best of us due to the simple fact that I cannot even hope to login as much as I would like to. That might explain why I am still here.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO stopped being my go to game over a year ago. I mostly play TOR and Guildwars 2 these days.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey, I see a few others in here, I too, switched to STO after the demise of City of Heroes. I had bought STO when it first came out and had subbed for a little while, but City of Heroes had my attention the most so I let STO drop.

Picked up STO again for the 2nd anniversary and got me the free Ody, got a little more interest in the game but still let it slip by until city of heroes expired.

It's currently my go to game, but only just (s8.5 and news of s9 have left me feeling quite down about STO). There are several on the horizon that I am interested in. Plus i've been trying a few other current games that I am enjoying.

But hey, its trek, I've run into quite a few CoH friends in here and I am able to chat with a few that play champions, so that's a plus :) (can't stand Chumpion's myself though)
  • kargisterkargister Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Goto game? Not sure I'd go that far, but as a Lifetime since launch I've drifted in and out quite a bit. Thing is, I have a life outside gaming. With STO I don't have to put that life on hold to get gear because its "raid-time". Avoid the raid schedule(and the prep that goes with it), grind up some marks, avoid random chance drops, get some gear. This works for me.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I love the idea of being a Starfleet Captain (yes I said 'Captain'; who the heck fantasises about being a Starfleet Vice Admiral...).

If we had a decent exploration system, so I could really get stuck into the whole 'explore strange new worlds' thing, I'd probably never leave. As it is, I play for a few months, then take 5 or 6 months off once I get bored of grinding the same stuff over and over.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I had just finished my time in FFXI (5 years, took a break for a while and then went back for 2 years until the devs killed my favorite content in the game) and was bouncing around looking for something else. Eventually settled with STO because it's Trek and also because everything else out there was horrible.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm inclined to agree with most of the other responses here.

STO is far from the perfect MMO and I don't like some of the directions that its developers take with it; however, when you compare STO to many if not all of the other now F2P MMO's STO is clearly better than the rest of the market.

STO became my go to MMO when I purchased my LTS back during open Beta, I took a leap of faith and thus far it has paid off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It all Blizzard's fault! Since the death of Diablo III and RoS being a total failure of epic proportions, I kind of just fell into STO, right place, right time or wrong, not sure :D. I was in RoS beta and the devs there, believe or not, are far and away worse than what everyone here thinks of the STO devs. Blizzard's major problem was that they only listened to advice of players where that advice reduced the bottom line for Blizz. Personally I think the devs at Cryptic are alright, they need to work out some bugs in the game but at least the content they put out is free. You could be paying $60 for content that adds very little like Blizz does, D3, SC and WoW included. I know this seems like I'm bashing Blizzard and I am, but its to illustrate my point that things could be a lot worse in this game.

I will say this about this game, I doubt I would playing STO if it didn't carry the Star Trek name. I love flying the ships that I have seen in all my favorite trek shows and movies, which is pretty much all of them. Yeah I know some of them may not have been up some of our standards but when we look back at even TOS, wasn't it all a little silly from the get go. I love em all!!! And I get to fly all their ships!!
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • vhex333vhex333 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is my go to MMO for a few reasons:

Friends. My friends play the game and its something we can all talk and scheme and plan about as we make a futile attempt to build a SB.

I'm a big fish in a small pond. Or at least it feels that way to me in STO since I got in on the ground floor and have kept up with the game ever since launch. Maybe its just the timing of when it launched and how it synced up with my life but STO is the 1 MMO I have actually spent money on and continue to do so.

Its fun. The two other MMOs I have installed are super competitive and really lean hard on that pay to win model. Sure you can make due without but man you can really feel the difference. And when it comes down to it STO just has the IP to be worth any money I might throw at a game.

The Dil-Zen exchange. I'm not on Cosmic's level but I can have a little fun with that exchange with day trading to earn dill for my SB. Also if someone is patient enough, anything costing zen can be gotten without them spending any money of their own. Single more brilliant thing in a MMO ever.

The SB. Giving clans/fleets some direction apart from just sheer number gathering.

It's fun. I know I said it once but it bears repeating. STO space combat is really fun and with the wide variety of ships you can damn near do anything your imagination can come up with. You can get on that DPS train, make ships that refuse to die, build sci boats that disable ships forever, the list goes on.

tl,dr: STO is fun!

Everything you mention above is just how I feel as well. It's not super competitive as we all can have access to much more of the item/gear base than other games. Sure you may have to buy some things but if you don't want to there are so many competitive free options in the game. Or being patient, build up the dilithium that is so readily available and get zen that way.
    edited April 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    It all Blizzard's fault! Since the death of Diablo III and RoS being a total failure of epic proportions, I kind of just fell into STO, right place, right time or wrong, not sure :D. I was in RoS beta and the devs there, believe or not, are far and away worse than what everyone here thinks of the STO devs. Blizzard's major problem was that they only listened to advice of players where that advice reduced the bottom line for Blizz. Personally I think the devs at Cryptic are alright, they need to work out some bugs in the game but at least the content they put out is free. You could be paying $60 for content that adds very little like Blizz does, D3, SC and WoW included. I know this seems like I'm bashing Blizzard and I am, but its to illustrate my point that things could be a lot worse in this game.

I will say this about this game, I doubt I would playing STO if it didn't carry the Star Trek name. I love flying the ships that I have seen in all my favorite trek shows and movies, which is pretty much all of them. Yeah I know some of them may not have been up some of our standards but when we look back at even TOS, wasn't it all a little silly from the get go. I love em all!!! And I get to fly all their ships!!

Of note, I felt as you did re Diablo 3. The new expansion, death of the auction house and new loot system make it so much better. Much closer feel to D1 and D2, in my opinion.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    STO is my go-to game because of the Foundry. Plain and simple. It let's me make my own episodes of Star Trek and I don't have to be a Hollywood big shot to do it!

I started playing the game at launch, got to 50 and took a long break. I came back the moment I heard about the Foundry. Having a background in attempting to make mods for other games and finding I didn't have an aptitude for making models or textures or coding, a mission editor like the Foundry was perfect for my skill level. And at the time, no other MMO that I knew of had anything remotely like a mission builder. Since I returned I've gotten a lifetime membership and never looked back. I enjoy the rest of the game immensely. I have no issue with any of the changes or additions cause I know how to pick and choose what I want to play. But the Foundry remains, to me, the best thing about this game. I never get tired of seeing what other fans come up with.

It mystifies me why more people don't play the Foundry. Hate grind? You don't have to grind in any way, shape or form to play Foundry missions. Think there's no Star Trek in Star Trek Online? Trust me, there are missions made by fans, for fans that fit perfectly into the universe. Tired of shooting everything? There are non-combat missions that are a blast to play.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited April 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    STO is my go-to game because of the Foundry. Plain and simple. It let's me make my own episodes of Star Trek and I don't have to be a Hollywood big shot to do it!

I started playing the game at launch, got to 50 and took a long break. I came back the moment I heard about the Foundry. Having a background in attempting to make mods for other games and finding I didn't have an aptitude for making models or textures or coding, a mission editor like the Foundry was perfect for my skill level. And at the time, no other MMO that I knew of had anything remotely like a mission builder. Since I returned I've gotten a lifetime membership and never looked back. I enjoy the rest of the game immensely. I have no issue with any of the changes or additions cause I know how to pick and choose what I want to play. But the Foundry remains, to me, the best thing about this game. I never get tired of seeing what other fans come up with.

It mystifies me why more people don't play the Foundry. Hate grind? You don't have to grind in any way, shape or form to play Foundry missions. Think there's no Star Trek in Star Trek Online? Trust me, there are missions made by fans, for fans that fit perfectly into the universe. Tired of shooting everything? There are non-combat missions that are a blast to play.

Even after all these years, I have only dipped my toe into foundry missions. This is simply from time in the game doing others things. I plan to take my ship and captain (we really all need to be demoted to captain and have the option of promotion to Admiral at lvl 60. We can simply decline and continue in the chair as we know is an option in Trek) into some foundry missions very soon.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't know how you foundry guys deal with the foundry. I tried making a mission once, it was a terrible experience. I watched all the SB UGC tutorials and and got a full mission made. At the end, I realized that I spent more time fighting against the horrible foundry tools than actually making my mission. I had to use so many work arounds and flubbing things to work together that my mission didn't turn out anything at all like I had envisioned it. I then realized that my mission simply cannot be made due to how bad the foundry is.

Much respect for those of you who stick around and try to make that piece of junk work.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Torchlight, which I've finally gotten around to playing after all this time, is currently my go-to game.

STO is in a lull right now between seasons. Kind of boring actually, not really anything for my admirals to do other than their daily doffing.