Install Arc
Options

When STO became your go to Game.

13»

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    when I first played sto it was because I am a trekkie but that's not what keeps me playing.
    I soon found out that sto is very easy to get into and although there is great depth to the game and its actually quite complex you can learn at your own pace and I still learn different thing even now.
    most importantly though I find sto gameplay to be fun, I enjoy both space and ground combat and I love the fact that there is nothing in sto you have to do you can pick and choose to play the parts you enjoy and leave any parts your not keen on.
    I have also been amazed by the amount of free gifts you get especially the c-store giveaways.
    it didn't take long to realise that I liked the game enough to buy the lifetime sub and I have never regretted that investment.
    i also enjoy the weekend specials and have benefited greatly from them and the other events like crystalline entity summer & winter ect.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not my main go-to MMO, but it's definitely one that I've kept coming back to, and kept installed, unlike many others.

I like the spaceship combat and the ground combat - they are intrinsically fun to me. I also like the s-f/Trek theme.

Also, as MMOs go in general, the grind isn't too bad, you can get a decent feel of progress just by playing an hour a day. Anyone who thinks STO is grindy must just not be very familiar with MMOs. What it is, is a bit short on content (like all the Cryptic MMOs since CoH), so the grindy stuff is what you tend to fill your playtime with at endgame. But in terms of time-to-get-good-stuff-by-grinding goes, in that sense of "grind", STO is really quite mild, and that's attractive to me.
  • Options
    ehlimehlim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wow, so many interesting replies!

STO is definitely my go-to game. I've tried a few other mmorpgs (Wow, Liniage II, SWOTOR, Neverwinter, LoTRO, D&DO and a couple of others of which I forgot the names) and none of them kept me coming back.

The reasons why I love STO are:
    1) the original game mechanics. The game looks, feels and plays differently than other classic mmorpgs; Space play is beautifully engineered and fun every time. Ground needs more work, but I love that we actually have it and the game has this very original dual aspect. Kudos.

2) the big focus on STORY (YAY!!) that's what I like in mmorpgs, pew pewing is repetitive and boring, I can only endure shooting around if I feel immersed in the story and if I feel like it's necessary to keep exploring (and obviously if it is well done as STO is, see point 1->game mechanics are awsome); Narrative in this game is TOP NOTCH, and you feel like your gaming time is really driven by story, which is essential to me, otherwise I wouldn't feel motivated to spend the time; I extremely enjoy the game progression through episodes, it's original, it works well and it sets it very much apart from other mmorpgs (btw, the lack of that is what made my experience of Neverwinter boring... just an empty series of go there, kill everyone, move to the next area, kill everyone again, repeat. :( )

3) the Foundry ... just amazing. I'm not a creator yet, but I LOVE that players can actually add to the game making it virtually endless and almost boundless!

I probably could go on, but I think top three is enough. On a note, I didn't mention the Star Trek environment for a specific reason: although I'm a fan of all things Trek, I'm not a fan of outdated, possibly exhausted stories. I'm not content with rewatching for the nth time my DS9 and Voyager favorite episodes I want the story to go on and to take a modern path (Don't you raise that arm, Abrams!!).
    What I'm trying to say is, I would probably play the game even if it wasn't called Star Trek, PROVIDED it had the same, or better, narrative power and colour!

Live long and prosper, STO!

P.S.: please Cryptic work on revamping exploratioooon!!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vhex333vhex333 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ehlim wrote: »
    Wow, so many interesting replies!

STO is definitely my go-to game. I've tried a few other mmorpgs (Wow, Liniage II, SWOTOR, Neverwinter, LoTRO, D&DO and a couple of others of which I forgot the names) and none of them kept me coming back.

The reasons why I love STO are:
    1) the original game mechanics. The game looks, feels and plays differently than other classic mmorpgs; Space play is beautifully engineered and fun every time. Ground needs more work, but I love that we actually have it and the game has this very original dual aspect. Kudos.

2) the big focus on STORY (YAY!!) that's what I like in mmorpgs, pew pewing is repetitive and boring, I can only endure shooting around if I feel immersed in the story and if I feel like it's necessary to keep exploring (and obviously if it is well done as STO is, see point 1->game mechanics are awsome); Narrative in this game is TOP NOTCH, and you feel like your gaming time is really driven by story, which is essential to me, otherwise I wouldn't feel motivated to spend the time; I extremely enjoy the game progression through episodes, it's original, it works well and it sets it very much apart from other mmorpgs (btw, the lack of that is what made my experience of Neverwinter boring... just an empty series of go there, kill everyone, move to the next area, kill everyone again, repeat. :( )

3) the Foundry ... just amazing. I'm not a creator yet, but I LOVE that players can actually add to the game making it virtually endless and almost boundless!

I probably could go on, but I think top three is enough. On a note, I didn't mention the Star Trek environment for a specific reason: although I'm a fan of all things Trek, I'm not a fan of outdated, possibly exhausted stories. I'm not content with rewatching for the nth time my DS9 and Voyager favorite episodes I want the story to go on and to take a modern path (Don't you raise that arm, Abrams!!).
    What I'm trying to say is, I would probably play the game even if it wasn't called Star Trek, PROVIDED it had the same, or better, narrative power and colour!

Live long and prosper, STO!

P.S.: please Cryptic work on revamping exploratioooon!!! :)

Seconded. Yes.

The space combat is absolutely brilliant. I love the mechanics, love the feel and the variety of builds and ships we can fly. The sheer numbers are boggling.

I hope this game continues for a long time.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually to be honest I play STO because of the increasingly declining game quality out there.

Titanfall shipped without a single player!?

It's cheating and lazy for Devs to make the players be the AI in a $60 game.

So by attrition, STO is my goto game now, followed by Champions.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO is medium.

After burning out on KSP, FTL and TF2 ... I tried STO again [from my break]. It is good ... but ... not that good.

You see ... I play it for the lovely golden title. STAR TREK is why I play. But every time I play ... I remember better Star Trek games ... and well ... this game, for me, is just deeper and deeper down it's on something ... to try and become a Star Trek game. I now consider this game a fan-game ... it helps ... and makes it more playable.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    sdominickkanesdominickkane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because it's Star Trek. Nothing else really. I get burnt out mainly by the comic-bookish artwork and the absolutely terrible ground combat. If only the ground combat was full fps, I can only dream.
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
    USS Arrow-B, Defiant Class.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Star Trek Online was not initially my go-to game.

It was just a game I was playing while me and a friend were waiting for our actual mmo (Stargate Worlds) to come out.
    But when the announcement was made that Stargate Worlds was terminated permanently with no hope of coming back (because the cost of restarting the project is too expensive to fund), that's when STO became my number one sci-fi mmo.

And note the keyword there, sci-fi.
    Most other mmos are based around magic/fantasy builds and since my history with those games has been excessively unpleasant, I absolutely refuse to play any mmo that is not sci-fi.

EvE Online I found tedious beyond measure, so I quit that game after 1 month of play.
    Defiance was a possibility, but the fact that it's not a true mmo (about half the content is manditorily soloplayer) and has an annoying grind mechanic (although it's not as bad as Eve Online!) caused me to just stop playing.

The upcoming sci-fi mmos I have no opinion on, since they're in beta testing and I don't want to assess them until the product is fully ready.

My first mmo was Tabula Rasa, but since that game is axed and no data has been released on it's return, aside from the fact that the creator took the ownership rights away from the publisher because of "dishonest business practices", I don't know if anything is happening there.

There's rumors floating around that a Fallout mmo is in production, but no official statement has been made.
    There was a lawsuit over the rights to a Fallout mmo a year or more ago which was holding up the project until it was resolved in Bethesda's favor, that's all I know at the point.

So, at the moment, STO is also the only sci-fi mmo that has kept me coming back.
    Also, the fact that it is not sub-based (I am a lifetime subscriber) means that I can play it anytime I want as often as I want without having to pay a monthly fee for the right of access.

But mostly I play STO because I "get it".
    I know the history, understand the technology, know the technical details of the ships and so on.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tilarta wrote: »

But mostly I play STO because I "get it".
    I know the history, understand the technology, know the technical details of the ships and so on.

This is why I play STO.

Star trek is familiar to me.

I grew up with it, it's home.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As many have said, the main reason is because it's Star Trek.

I have periods in which I play very little but I always seem to come back to it.
    And I do like the game. It's far from perfect, but it's very enjoyable.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO became my go to game simply because my previous go to game, need for speed world, is the most cheater infested mmo on the intwebz.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    jlpgaming13jlpgaming13 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    When you're a Trekky, everything is awesome about this game! It's the most realistic Star Trek game I've played. You actually feel like you are a caption of a starship, patrolling star systems and doing exploration missions on alien planets. Even the MMO aspect of STO I greatly enjoy. The game is just perfect. Right now, I don't want anything to change about this game.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm firmly in the "It's never been my 'go-to' game, but it's Star Trek so that gets it some leeway" crowd.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    STO been my go to game since I quit playing WoW. My life got to the point I couldn't get on to play that often anymore. So when I saw this being Trek which I love, and being Free to Play. This is a double win. I play something I love, and I don't have to pay a fee every month. Then try to log on to justify the fee. So now I can play the few hours I can and not worry if I got my $'s worth each month.

Most games has their pros and cons, as long you having fun. That is where it matters. To me this game is very fun so I keep coming back. And I don't mind paying for services, ships, etc to at least show my support on $. To keep them making more fun things to do on this game.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can be a lot of fun and doesn't require me to spend oodles of hours playing - which is greatl, cause i'm an adult with adult responsibilities. Regular MMOs that require me to sacrifice lots of time to progress - can't do it.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I played it and then it became my go-to game not much else. I'm not that a big fan of those fantasy games like "World of War Craft" and "Neverwinter" But I got nothing against people who like it..
    Hello, My name is Anne and I'm an STOholic

my boyfriend started playing this stupid game. it went form a "oh, ok, I'll give him a break" to "G**D****T" turn that game off!"

then I decided to why he was so enamored. Mind you I had seen maybe 1-2 episodes of the various series. and some of the movies. I got the bug, sat and watched every episode of every season at least twice (Yes, Virginia, even Spock's Brain and The Royale) and all the movies. armed with my now overloaded Star Trek head, I demanded he let me make a toon. 6 months later fo fighting over who got to play I boutght a lifetime

Still a better lovestory than Twilight! :cool:
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was here way back in beta, though I left within a couple months of the game's release. I came back a year later...quit in two weeks because of how awful it was. Returned again in August 2012 due to City of Heroes closing down months before, and there being no other decent (to me) MMO's out there. Tried quite a few and found most to be severely lacking. I played city for over 7 years.

However, I do have to admit that my STO time had been declining as of the last several months, and I mean steadily. The game just isn't that fun (to me) anymore, and not even Roms can keep me around much longer. My go-to lately has been something else altogether, and I am now in the closed beta for an upcoming, pretty-damn-awesome MMO, and may be leaving for that in June.

Believe me, I used to like this game quite a bit; I even have 30 characters and run a fleet that is steadily climbing towards T5 SB despite our small numbers. But this game is just becoming all about the grind and the cash grabs. I get that MMO's are generally all about grind, but some are far worse than others' are. This one is beginning to become that bad, at least to me. When one logs in and it's instantly: "I feel sick/ticked off" because of seeing how much grind is in front of your face, with not just fleet projects, but also personal gear and rep... It gets old after a while.

No, you can't have my stuff. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]