What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another 1st Contact Day ruined

Comments

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At least it is another event I can skip, and for that I thank them...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, to be honest I have a 13 year old son and 15 year old daughter from my first marriage - no regrets at all, but I was young and impatient when they were born and whilst I thought I was ready I really wasn't; this, and the fact that my ex-wife wasn't really ready either was a recipe for a failed marriage.

However, that was all a long time ago; this time around I have a LOT more life experience, a wonderful wife who is going to be a FANTASTIC mum, a nice home and a fair amount of savings. Defnitely at a time in my life where I feel VERY ready to be a parent.

Still... grats....

My limit is at 2 though... NEVER EVER again... It's worse then the original Terradome.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    AGAIN!!!

The Same TRIBBLE again!, I like having the flag ships around don't get me wrong, but the same pets, same prizes for a third year in a row, not many people are without these things barely anyone uses space pets anymore, and it's just so tacky now (barring the romulan stuff)

I've got more phoenixes than I can handle, turn them into disposable hangar pets then they'd be useful. CHANGE THE DAMN REWARD!!!

Do a Cochrane coat, or a tribute to worf's one handed blade we often see him use, SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!

Well, I wouldn't say ruined. Far from it.

But not exactly exciting either.

Basically the same Fed event as the last two years, same KDF one as last year. The Romulan one will be new.

Not too fussed over the magnitude of the rewards, this was never about getting something terribly useful. More about picking up a unique shiny, with no practical use really, to say you were there.

And thats my only beef really.

It's a minor shame that the rewards aren't a bit different from year to year.

The Phoenix pet is nice, to be sure, but why not Cochrane's hat next year, or bottles of his favourite booze which can be fed to a tribble for a FC tribble?

Why not a trophy we can put on the wall of our ready room?

Simple small things, that would make each yearly iteration of this event a little different to the others.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They keep offering the same things because there's new people in the game that have never gotten any of it, nor have had the chance to spend some time with the flagships of their respective faction.

Remember the 1st year that they did First Contact Day, The Klingons got a new mission. The 2nd year was the 1st year we actually got an item and a special day for the Klingons. This year it's the Romulans turn to get something.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They should reboot FCD, and release a FCD BUNDLE!

That's pretty much exactly what they did. Like the Galaxy revamp where no Galaxy was revamped, the First Contact day was revamped... but no First Contact was actually changed, it was the Romulan stuff that was added.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Still... grats....

My limit is at 2 though... NEVER EVER again... It's worse then the original Terradome.

Soooo, you are saying: Childdz are OP plz nerf?

:P
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    They keep offering the same things because there's new people in the game that have never gotten any of it, nor have had the chance to spend some time with the flagships of their respective faction.

Remember the 1st year that they did First Contact Day, The Klingons got a new mission. The 2nd year was the 1st year we actually got an item and a special day for the Klingons. This year it's the Romulans turn to get something.

I get that, but they've faced similar challenges like that in the past and solved them differently and, in my view, better.

Consider the winter event.

Not everyone here now was here when the Breen warship was first offered.

However, instead of just offering that again, they added a second possible reward.

i thought it was a neat solution at the time, and i just regret the same thinking was not applied here.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was hoping for this gift:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shotgun?file=Shotgun_owned_by_Zefram_Cochrane_%2528mirror%2529.jpg

But really, a choice between a lousy pet and some dilithium or a costume would have been great.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not everyone has the Phoenix so they can't remove it from the event, but since the event is active for 4 days, then they could do a daily where you can pick a different reward each day.
    according to the blog there is one reward for each faction -

nanov non-combat ground pet for romulan
    replica of the Phoenix for fed
    Tritanium Rending Bat’leth for kdf

and the rewards are only available for characters who have not already received one.

also-
    sure not everyone has a phoenix that's fine to still offer it as a reward but there should be an alternative generic gift that can be claimed once each year by players that already have it or don't really want it, even say 2000 dil would be nice or maybe 20 lobi, anything that any player will be able to claim to make it worth taking part in the celebration, nobody should be excluded from taking part just because they have done it in a previous year.

how would everyone feel if they said "sorry guys no new free ship this winter event but we have put on last years ship for any players that don't have it yet"

don't get me wrong I think cryptic are the most generous game developers I know with all the free stuff they give away, its just that when there is a celebration like this taking place its only right that all characters should be able to take part new ones and seasoned ones alike.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    moosoomanmoosooman Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't have it yet but I agree with a lot here they should have an alt prize for loyal customers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Why not a trophy we can put on the wall of our ready room?

Because then they'd have to give Romulans ready rooms with trophy mounts like the Klingons and Federation have? :P
  • Options
    bigjonny2284bigjonny2284 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    how would everyone feel if they said "sorry guys no new free ship this winter event but we have put on last years ship for any players that don't have it yet"

Just like most other MMO's events then? That'd be fine, this communities sense of entitlement (God how I hate the way the internet has ruined that word even if it does fit here) is growing out of control.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't think that they need to add something new every year. Star Trek has a lot of anniversaries. It would be nice if they could add something for those of us that have been around a while, perhaps a counter that keeps track of how many years you've had it? Maybe?

I would like a Cochrane coat. (His hat too?) That is a must.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not everyone has done them and got the item. Remember a lot of new players have joined since last year, and LOR have added many more. So they need it as well. Even myself hadn't done it for my Romulan.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    Not everyone has done them and got the item. Remember a lot of new players have joined since last year, and LOR have added many more. So they need it as well. Even myself hadn't done it for my Romulan.

Well, there was no reward, or indeed mission, for Romulans before this.

I don't have any issue with the event being broadly the same year on year, but by the same token as thinking of the new players, what about the old?

As said previously, I'm not looking for a new ship but the Winter event had the right model, imo.

Offer last years and this years prize.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, there was no reward, or indeed mission, for Romulans before this.

I don't have any issue with the event being broadly the same year on year, but by the same token as thinking of the new players, what about the old?

As said previously, I'm not looking for a new ship but the Winter event had the right model, imo.

Offer last years and this years prize.

First Contact Day is not the Winter Event. :P
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    First Contact Day is not the Winter Event. :P

It's not?

I don't get to skate around the bridge of the Bortas?

Next you'll be telling me there are no parrots.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's not?

I don't get to skate around the bridge of the Bortas?

Next you'll be telling me there are no parrots.

No. And no crackers either.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No. And no crackers either.

But Polly wanna cracker..........

And I'm pretty sure we've strayed waaaaaay off topic...lol
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've been wanting a pet nanov for a while now.....:D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I've been wanting a pet nanov for a while now.....:D

Me too, but I'm not a Romulan. Oh well.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Me too, but I'm not a Romulan. Oh well.

I'd like the big momma nanov as a pet.

Imagine ESD with a few of those following people about......
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Nah - they're actually pretty well balanced :P

Especially early on. Perfect balance between feed, sleep and diaper change.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just like most other MMO's events then? That'd be fine, this communities sense of entitlement (God how I hate the way the internet has ruined that word even if it does fit here) is growing out of control.

so cryptics throwing a party but I cant come is what your saying, thanks for that.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh, woe is me.

Can't we just enjoy the event for being an event, which may pull people in if event just for the weekend and celebrate our community without worrying about freebie items?
  • Options
    bigjonny2284bigjonny2284 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    so cryptics throwing a party but I cant come is what your saying, thanks for that.

You can come, you just don't get a new toy for doing it, as I said entitlement.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Meh, I've made some new characters since the last time this happened yay first contact day! Umm... when will you bring back the officer day with the maintenance engineer doff Cryptic? could you make it reclaimable? I lost mine -.-'
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eh, they said the Rom and Klingon ones have little sorta-mini-missions attached (if I read the blog right), and honestly why does it need to be any different? Its just a for-fun little thing anyways. Besides, given how we've been one grind after another since the end of last November, I'm happy to see something grind free that won't mess with my mechanics at all. There's something to be said for 'for the heck of it' content.

The blog says the Federation gets a mission, too.
    Before they can join the festivities however, Commander Jarok is looking for assistance from brave and valiant captains of the Republic.
    In celebration of First Contact Day, Federation Captains level 10 and above are invited aboard the bridge of the Enterprise-F to speak with Captain Shon on an important matter concerning the security of the Federation.
    The Klingon one is a bit less clear if the task is meant for players:
    Captain Koren has a special task to complete before she and her crew can enjoy some well-deserved shore leave

Both previous years, the mission has been a simple meet and greet, not a matter of security. Don't let information get in the way of a good irrational rage, though, this thread is clearly not angry enough.