test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cybermen vs Borg

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
So, who would win?

Cybermen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZTDqOs4QpI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NejmRupa54I also http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberman

Borg: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Borg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzJSBHG4pI

Who would win? Borg or Cybermen? By Cybermen I mean a mixture of Cybermen era.
As in, 500 Borg, vs 50 old Cybermen, 150 10th Doctor Cybermen and 300 new Cybermen from 'Nightmare in Silver"
DISCUSS!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Borg

Their assimilation tubules can puncture all known materials, and the nano-probes would just need to re-write the cyber OS and new armored drone available right away...
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Sigh.
    Cybermen, by numbers alone.

The Borg control a medium sized section of one quadrant in one galaxy, the Cybermen had converted an entire galaxy that had to be destroyed to kill them off (indecently the fact that DW humans have the power to implode a galaxy).

The Cybermen convert the Borg Queen, game over. Borg assimilate the Cyber Controller, they Cybermen switch to a new one.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would have said Borg, until you put the Nightmare in Silver Cybermen in. Those guys can move fast. Really fast. Provided the Borg don't set up a trap to capture and assimilate one, the super fast Cybermen would be able to run around and break a whole bunch of Borg necks before they could respond.

But old era Cybermen and 10th era Cybermen would fall easily.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Borg. Because better catchphrase.

But if it's the Nightmare in Silver Cybermen versus the Voyager NerfBorg, then the Cybermen by a slight margin.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cybermen, because while no one wants to be assimilated, who wouldn't want an "upgrade?" :D
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

But if it's the Nightmare in Silver Cybermen versus the Voyager NerfBorg, then the Cybermen by a slight margin.

Resistance is Futile?
    The Tenth Planet 1966.

You will become like us?
    The Tomb of the Cybermen 1967.

We are the Borg?
    I'll give you that one :D.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    Cybermen, because while no one wants to be assimilated, who wouldn't want an "upgrade?" :D

not me, both assimilation and upgrades are painfully bad ways to go
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Borg lose. The Cybermen have a historical precedent in their favor (the DW/ST crossover comic), and as always, the Borg Collective's idea of combat tactics is to walk slowly towards the enemy as a skirmish line of mentally TRIBBLE zombies.

Hell, I'd take the US Marine Corps over Borg drones without orbital support.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      starswordc wrote: »
      Borg lose. The Cybermen have a historical precedent in their favor (the DW/ST crossover comic),

This, pretty much. It starts out with the Borg and the Cybermen forming an alliance, but then the Cybermen turn on the Borg and become a major threat and the Borg go running to Starfleet for help.
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      artan42 wrote: »
      Sigh.
      Cybermen, by numbers alone.

The Borg control a medium sized section of one quadrant in one galaxy, the Cybermen had converted an entire galaxy that had to be destroyed to kill them off (indecently the fact that DW humans have the power to implode a galaxy).

The Cybermen convert the Borg Queen, game over. Borg assimilate the Cyber Controller, they Cybermen switch to a new one.
      The exact same could be said for ths Borg... When they lose a Queen, another is created...
      Borg lose. The Cybermen have a historical precedent in their favor (the DW/ST crossover comic),
      That's plot necessity though, not a true example of superiority either either way... The Cybermen's electroshock grip might be able to disable a drone (if their forcefields don't adapt to it) but beyond that, their built in particle weapons would definitely be adapted to. The Borg nanoprobes, on the other hand, would easily overwrite the Cyber OS, as they did when they tried assimilating Voyager and the Enterprise (both E and NX-01) And as for numbers, Borg can always assimilate new drones, Cybermen can only kill their targets (I doubt there is even enough unmodified brain tissue in a drone to be used in the cyber conversion process..)
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      The exact same could be said for ths Borg... When they lose a Queen, another is created...

That's plot necessity though, not a true example of superiority either either way... The Cybermen's electroshock grip might be able to disable a drone (if their forcefields don't adapt to it) but beyond that, their built in particle weapons would definitely be adapted to. The Borg nanoprobes, on the other hand, would easily overwrite the Cyber OS, as they did when they tried assimilating Voyager and the Enterprise (both E and NX-01) And as for numbers, Borg can always assimilate new drones, Cybermen can only kill their targets (I doubt there is even enough unmodified brain tissue in a drone to be used in the cyber conversion process..)

1. Yes, but they have to assimilate them, then give them the fancy stuffs. Cybermen just switch instantly.

2. Nightmare in Silver. The new Cybermen adapt to weapons, superspeed and LASORZ!. They're much more advanced. No chance for the Borg.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
      edited March 2014
      Borg adapt. And if the Borg manage to assimilate a Cyberman... oh look... they know about Cybermen.

I'd say its a tough call. Not clear winner to me. Besides... whoever wins... we lose. Unless we got the Enterprise, Voyager, AND The Doctor.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      jmaster29 wrote: »
      1. Yes, but they have to assimilate them, then give them the fancy stuffs. Cybermen just switch instantly.
      First Contact established that once someone is stuck with nanoprobes, they begin to be assimilated from the inside out. Hawk became a functional drone within minutes... A Cyberman stuck with nanoprobes might still look like a Cyberman, but internally, they'd be marching to the Collective's tune...

2. Nightmare in Silver. The new Cybermen adapt to weapons, superspeed and LASORZ!. They're much more advanced. No chance for the Borg.
      Haven't seen it, as I stopped watching due to Matt Smith and Moffat's writing... Speed might give them some chance against the Borg, but lasers won't mean s**t to a drone's shields... The Borg would adapt to whataever the Cybermen threw at them in less than a dozen shots. I would say unless these new Cybermen also have personal shields, they're still in danger from the assimilation tubules... :eek: Cybermen vs Daleks showed how susceptible Cybermen actually are (even though the Borg don't use particle weapons)
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      First Contact established that once someone is stuck with nanoprobes, they begin to be assimilated from the inside out. Hawk became a functional drone within minutes... A Cyberman stuck with nanoprobes might still look like a Cyberman, but internally, they'd be marching to the Collective's tune...

If they can be assimilated in the first place, it's not just biology they need to replace the cyberconditioning already there.
      Haven't seen it, as I stopped watching due to Matt Smith and Moffat's writing... Speed might give them some chance against the Borg, but lasers won't mean s**t to a drone's shields... The Borg would adapt to whataever the Cybermen threw at them in less than a dozen shots. I would say unless these new Cybermen also have personal shields, they're still in danger from the assimilation tubules... :eek: Cybermen vs Daleks showed how susceptible Cybermen actually are (even though the Borg don't use particle weapons)

That's hardly a fair comparison, Daleks vs. anyone is a curb-stomp. The Cybermen don't need their 'laser' guns, a lot of Cyberman marks just like hitting people, Borg can't adapt to Cyber-Fu :D.

Also logistically no matter how many Cybermen they kill or assimilate the Cybermen converted an entire galaxy that's trillions of trillions of Cybermen vs. a few trillion or so Borg.

#TASforSTO

• Options
      edited March 2014

Not quick enough, whenever the Queen has been killed the cube or whatever dies with her, when the Cyberleader was destroyed by the Daleks a new one was promoted without the Cybermen all shutting down or blowing up.

#TASforSTO

• Options
      edited March 2014

I was refering to the Queen, not a drone. The Queen can't be replaced instantly, Cyberleaders can.

Watch Nightmare in Silver. The new Cybermen adapted to an anti-Cyber gun, they can pretend they're destroyed, superspeed, able to adapt to basically everything and got guns and electric hand thingies. Cybermen run up to the Borg and zap them, Borg can't react. Game over.
      Also, now they can just plonk more tech on a person (of any species) and control them. They could insert a virus into the Collective. Game over (Again).
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      This question was answered already by the official crossover comic:

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation²
      It's avaible for Kindle on Amazon. I read it, although my familiarity with the DW universe is limited, but I loved it.
      Leipzig University, 1409-2409
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      If they can be assimilated in the first place, it's not just biology they need to replace the cyberconditioning already there.
      Absolutely... In Regeneration, partially assimilated drones were able to create fully operational Borg hardware aboard the Enterprise (and the transport shuttle). Corrupting, or even si ply over-writing the Cyber OS should be no problem, just like installing Linux on a pc...

That's hardly a fair comparison, Daleks vs. anyone is a curb-stomp.
      It's a totally valid comparison, as it showed the Cybermen being vulnerable to energy weapons (or whatever the Dalek Death Ray is) Not that the Borg use them, but it shows a weakness in the Cyberman which is not present in a drone... Sure, a few drones will get zapped, but the rest then adapt and are impervious.
      a lot of Cyberman marks just like hitting people, Borg can't adapt to Cyber-Fu :D.
      I'll quote Jean-Luc Picard on this aspect of Borg encounters: "DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOU!!!"

:D

Also logistically no matter how many Cybermen they kill or assimilate the Cybermen converted an entire galaxy that's trillions of trillions of Cybermen vs. a few trillion or so Borg.
      You're looking at the figures the wrong way round... Without Plot Armor to ensure their defeat, the Borg should be nigh unstoppable. All trillions and trillions of Cybermen equals in this conflict, is trillions and trillions of future drones ;)

Not quick enough, whenever the Queen has been killed the cube or whatever dies with her, when the Cyberleader was destroyed by the Daleks a new one was promoted without the Cybermen all shutting down or blowing up.
      Fair enough :)
    • Options
      edited March 2014

Watch Nightmare in Silver.

I'd really rather not, as I can't stand Matt Smith as the Doctor, but I'll see if I can find it online :cool:
    • Options
      tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      The comic Assimilation squared has the Cyberman out-thinking the dumb borg. Heh, original wins.
      Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      woerligen wrote: »
      This question was answered already by the official crossover comic:

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation²
      It's avaible for Kindle on Amazon. I read it, although my familiarity with the DW universe is limited, but I loved it.
      A written plot where The Good Guys have to win... It might be official, but it will be writer biased rathr than objective to strengths and weaknesses...
    • Options
      confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Cybermen wins.

Only the Doctor can beat the Cybermen. ;)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      thanatos9tthanatos9t Member Posts: 96 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      This is why Cybermen are awesome (from a behind the scenes video of Dr Who):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ndoUu2tYFc

"I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time, no space. Just me!"
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      Absolutely... In Regeneration, partially assimilated drones were able to create fully operational Borg hardware aboard the Enterprise (and the transport shuttle). Corrupting, or even si ply over-writing the Cyber OS should be no problem, just like installing Linux on a pc...

All this means is the Cybermen adapt to the nanoprobes, rewrite them and send them back out, the Cybermen have superior numbers cutting off a few assimilated units is not a problem, also the Cyberweb doesn't work like the collective, the Cybermen have more separation than drones.
      It's a totally valid comparison, as it showed the Cybermen being vulnerable to energy weapons (or whatever the Dalek Death Ray is) Not that the Borg use them, but it shows a weakness in the Cyberman which is not present in a drone... Sure, a few drones will get zapped, but the rest then adapt and are impervious.

The Cybermen have upgraded since then, they are now immune to anti Cyber weapons specifically designed to kill them.
      Assuming the Cybermen don't have rotating frequency weapons, or just forgo that and break the drones into little pieces with the electric hands or their bare fists (well gloved but...).
      I'll quote Jean-Luc Picard on this aspect of Borg encounters: "DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOU!!!"

:D
      This assumes that the Borg can penetrate the Cyber armour or tat they will have time, Worf and Date managed to kill a few without being assimilated.
      You're looking at the figures the wrong way round... Without Plot Armor to ensure their defeat, the Borg should be nigh unstoppable. All trillions and trillions of Cybermen equals in this conflict, is trillions and trillions of future drones ;)

There are two reasons why.
      1) A few billion assimilated Cybermen will just be terminated by the Controller they can afford to lose them.
      2) If push comes to shove, the Cybermen will just destroy the Milky Way, they still have other galaxies full of Cybermen to fall back on.

#TASforSTO

• Options
      edited March 2014
      All this means is the Cybermen adapt to the nanoprobes, rewrite them and send them back out, the Cybermen have superior numbers cutting off a few assimilated units is not a problem, also the Cyberweb doesn't work like the collective, the Cybermen have more separation than drones.

The Cybermen have upgraded since then, they are now immune to anti Cyber weapons specifically designed to kill them.
      Assuming the Cybermen don't have rotating frequency weapons, or just forgo that and break the drones into little pieces with the electric hands or their bare fists (well gloved but...).

This assumes that the Borg can penetrate the Cyber armour or tat they will have time, Worf and Date managed to kill a few without being assimilated.

There are two reasons why.
      1) A few billion assimilated Cybermen will just be terminated by the Controller they can afford to lose them.
      2) If push comes to shove, the Cybermen will just destroy the Milky Way, they still have other galaxies full of Cybermen to fall back on.
      I just had the misfortune of watching Nightmare in Silver... Yes, those upgraded Cybermen would probably beat the Borg, because Gaiman wrote them (despite his protestations of ignorance) as the Borg, but +. I mean, the idea of a tactic that takes out one drone/cyberunit being adapted to by the others, that I can tollerate, but to suggest that the individual unit would upgrade/adapt to it after being incapacitated is ludicrously weak writing. That episode just cost Gaiman the last shred of respect I had for him after hearing him deny knowing of the Borg, when people compared his take on the Cybermen to them... Let's be honest, they were just a Cyber head, on one of Tony Stark's armored suits, with Borg capabilities (and the Aliens reference was just pathetic) it put the Cybermen right into Wolverine-levels of Suedom :( But, sadly, it is canon, so yeah, Cybermen win...
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      A written plot where The Good Guys have to win... It might be official, but it will be writer biased rathr than objective to strengths and weaknesses...

Objectively, the Borg are mentally TRIBBLE and uncreative. It's no wonder they eventually lose every time they show up.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      Objectively, the Borg are mentally TRIBBLE and uncreative. It's no wonder they eventually lose every time they show up.

Knowing people with SN, I find that a grossly offensive and inaccurate phrase, but putting that aside, The Borg were shown to be highy adaptable and intelligent when Plot demanded them to be... The Borg/Cyberman's greatest strength/weakness in all showings, was Plot Necessity... Comparing the latest variant of Cyberman to the Borg, yes, they would overcome the Borg.
    • Options
      kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Cybermen wins.

Only the Doctor can beat the Cybermen. ;)

The Daleks can beat them too. "You are superior in only one respect." "What is that?" "You are better at dying."
    • Options
      edited March 2014
      The Daleks can beat them too. "You are superior in only one respect." "What is that?" "You are better at dying."

I loved that DW episode. So much that I got the Cybermen DVD collection, just to watch it, lol
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      exanguinateexanguinate Member Posts: 25 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      worffan101 wrote: »

actually "Resistance is futile" was used by the cybermen in 1967 in the "Tomb of the Cybermen", they have also used "Resistance is Useless".

so er, that "catchphrase" isnt borg :) cybermen got there first ever so slightly.