test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new Rep System

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You started out so well, until you absconded into this 'self-entitlement' mantra again. I think tomorrow we should take away one of your favored lockbox ships, and then give you the trite 'you want everything and you want it now, but really - get over it' routine. Then you'll probably realize how lame pulling that card every time really is.

Besides, I *did* want it all, which is why I chose to do all reps. Make sense? I didn't get it all *now*, though: I had to grind for it, like everyone else.

I don't have any lockbox ships :D

But like I said, you don't lose those abilities. You still have the choice since you unlocked all the traits. It's just that power creep is a one-way road. While progressing in the reputation system you unlock passive boni for really no reason. Everyone at endgame unlocks all the passives because there is nothing else left to do, leveling the field of end-game players again. Newcomers, however, lack all those passives and are "weaker" just because. Now, if you do all the reps you are still better off since you get more passives to choose from, but you aren't towering above new players anymore - this is just necessary. Cryptic just can't slap more and more passives and boni on veteran players - at some point we need to understand that the "creep" has to stop. The game can't evolve that way. The field has to be leveled and the actual content has to become more important than number pushing.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like it as it will come in handy. And you can swap out traits as you need them. Instead of being stuck with them. Say I want more Def or more Off. Depending on the missions you do.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you want to decrease the gap in ability/effectiveness between 4 year veteran players and newbies that have just started - why stop with removing our hard earned rep abilities?!

More suggestions for Cryptic:
    1) Remove all equipment of UNCOMMON quality or higher. That way everyone is fighting with stock COMMON gear and no chance that a new player will be at a disadvantage fighting against someone with fleet gear or [Acc]x3.

2) Remove all additional lockbox player traits and BOFF traits - that way a new player will not feel uncompetitive against a carrier captain with Wing commander and an Inspired Crew, or a Mogai complete with a full crew of Superior Romulan Operatives.

3) Remove the active doff roster slots. I mean come one. Rep passives pale in comparison with Marion+DEM, or the Attack Pattern doffs. Only players that have been around for ages and had the chance to create burgeoning economic empires have the ability to full equip their characters with this stuff. I mean 75 million EC for a KDF Marion - good luck newbies...

4) Remove all skill points. Have new characters instanly created as Admirals (or alternatively slap everyone back down to Ensign). Lvl 1 vs Lvl 51 is unfair.

These aren't serious suggestions. I am trying to demonstrate how the aim/logic behind this rep trait change is utterly flawed. This is a game - a game where we are trying to develop/improve our characters and crew indefinitely. There is no winning, or end of game.
    In games like this older players will always be better than new players. Good news for Cryptic is that PVP is dead so it doesnt really matter...

All this change will serve to do is have people looking at new reps and thinking "are these traits better than the choices I currently have?" If the answer is no then they will likely not do the rep. This means they have no new content to play and ultimately they will go inactive and spend their $$$ elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LOL thanks for pointing all of that out. No duty officers would be funny. I lol'ed. To be honest the rep system we have now is perfectly fine. Logic FTW.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you want to decrease the gap in ability/effectiveness between 4 year veteran players and newbies that have just started - why stop with removing our hard earned rep abilities?!

More suggestions for Cryptic:
    1) Remove all equipment of UNCOMMON quality or higher. That way everyone is fighting with stock COMMON gear and no chance that a new player will be at a disadvantage fighting against someone with fleet gear or [Acc]x3.

2) Remove all additional lockbox player traits and BOFF traits - that way a new player will not feel uncompetitive against a carrier captain with Wing commander and an Inspired Crew, or a Mogai complete with a full crew of Superior Romulan Operatives.

3) Remove the active doff roster slots. I mean come one. Rep passives pale in comparison with Marion+DEM, or the Attack Pattern doffs. Only players that have been around for ages and had the chance to create burgeoning economic empires have the ability to full equip their characters with this stuff. I mean 75 million EC for a KDF Marion - good luck newbies...

4) Remove all skill points. Have new characters instanly created as Admirals (or alternatively slap everyone back down to Ensign). Lvl 1 vs Lvl 51 is unfair.

These aren't serious suggestions. I am trying to demonstrate how the aim/logic behind this rep trait change is utterly flawed. This is a game - a game where we are trying to develop/improve our characters and crew indefinitely. There is no winning, or end of game.
    In games like this older players will always be better than new players. Good news for Cryptic is that PVP is dead so it doesnt really matter...

All this change will serve to do is have people looking at new reps and thinking "are these traits better than the choices I currently have?" If the answer is no then they will likely not do the rep. This means they have no new content to play and ultimately they will go inactive and spend their $$$ elsewhere.

^^ QFT

And Kudos for debunking the faulty logic!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ^^ QFT

And Kudos for debunking the faulty logic!

Using fallacies, you don't debunk anything. Except maybe the theory of common sense.

Some advancement is good. Unhalted advancement leads to problems. Did you ever ask yourself why there is time where you stop levelling in all MMOs? It would be no problem to just add another number to every stat and keep doing.

The problem would be content, because there would be 50 level players and 250 level players. Are you just giving them all the same content, but upscaling it? Don't you realize how pointless that would be? What is there to gain, if a Level 50 character plays exactlyl like a 250 level character, just with bigger numbers?

In my opinion, the best way to use levels is to slowly increase the complexity of gameplay. For STO: You start with a single BOFF and Captain power, and build yourself up to 13 BO powers, 8 (?) captain powers and a few other activatable powers from consoles, sets or reputation. At this point, you reached maximum complexity, and it becomes primarly about making choices. Which powers do you select, what kind of build or play style are you after? What is the best choice for a given situation?

That your numbers increase over this time is barely relevant for play, it's mostly abstracted away from you anyway.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is a very nice solution to the whole reputation problem. The issue I have with the system as we have it is, that at some point it makes the character unbelieveable. It is good in everything, not only a multi instrumentalist but a virtuoso on each instrument too.

You can tune down of course. Fly a lower tier ship, craft mk VII or VIII stuff and use it, but don't do any group content. At its best your fellow players will lauch at you.

Remember this is a RPG. What if I don't want to be mr. or mrs. Perfect, mr. or mrs. Invincible. This is a very good move from Cryptic. They can add as much reputations as they like and we can do them and use the abbilities as we like. Since we have to make a selection, the reputations are no longer mandatory. That is good.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    This is a nerf to fix the future of reputations not a nerf to fix the reputations now. This nerf is just preventative medicine that STO needs to cure a problem that will arise in the future. There is only 4 reputations now so the power creep caused by the current system might not be that noticeable, but when we have 10 reputations, then it would be a major factor. So it is a matter of minor pain now or excruciating pain a few years from now. So a player having 40 passive reputation powers in the future is not indicative of power creep?

The idea behind reputation powers could be better described as higher level abilities, seeing how we can't exceed lvl 50 like other games than we get the same kind of benefit with rep powers, but not now with this horrid change.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Guys, you don't "lose" those abilities. You can choose a set of abiulities at will at any given time - you just can't have it all, all the time. Which is ridiculous anyway since it IS blatant power creep at it's finest to let "old" players have a bazillion passive abilities that are leveled within their own "league", but completely lock out newer players.

How is it locking out newer player's, all player's have to earn the rep powers, this will not change even with the new changes to reps.

Now you need to make a choice. I know, choices are bad, you want everything and you want it now, but really - get over it.

EDIT: No, I'm not "envious" or anything, I got the reps as well. But it's actually maybe not as simple to dominate the game now, either pick all the +dam traits and lose resistance for it or keep the balance. I think that's a very good change. You cannot have everything all the time.

There is really no good reason to make such a change, as it only strips you of advancing power wise beyond level 50 by half with the new undine rep.

Think how you won't advance anymore beyond that when another rep is added, and another, and another just lvl 50 with 12 rep powers to use at any given moment.

They are turning the rep powers into a freakin joke, just like how we are limited to 10 slot ships with a billion freakin consoles to chose from most of them universals.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    LOL too late. I'm sure cryptic has a lot planned: Breen rep, Andorian rep, Orion Rep, Tribble rep, Krem rep, Klingon rep, Schoodian rep, TNG rep, DS9 rep, 4 lights rep, Khaaaaaan rep, It's a fake rep, Don't provoke the borg rep, PetaQ rep and so on.

I'm gonna need a bigger power try for all those rep powers. Stop making reps instead of TRIBBLE over people who did hard work to earn their powers. That does sound nice.

Beef rep...
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm okay with this change for the reasons that were stated. I have all my passive rep powers, but I don't mind having ti pick which ones I keep because what I have now is a mish mash of "well, this seem more useful of the two" that I haven't changed. Now I can make better decisions and I can change them for free.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i like the changes

why?

1 - you have to SPECIFY your build in a way.

you want more sci, more offense, a tank? choose wisely. But on the same time, you can change whenever out of combat. Hope you will have the opportunity to save chosen rep powers together with ship loadouts.

2 - you will be meeting people in PVP, and you know, they have only so much rep powers available to equip.

3 - perhaps, just perhaps ill be playing one of my alts without all the reputations finished again, and won't feel like i have to grind missions for WEEKS to get there.. also, now with the 2x rep tokens it is easier to lvl alts through the reputations.

4 - it means that they see no need in increasing the lvl cap, but are going the (imho) right way by giving us horizontal progression. which means no 48k Dill per one piece of MK XIV equipment.

thank you, Cryptic!
    edited March 2014
    duaths1 wrote: »
    i like the changes

why?

1 - you have to SPECIFY your build in a way.

you want more sci, more offense, a tank? choose wisely. But on the same time, you can change whenever out of combat. Hope you will have the opportunity to save chosen rep powers together with ship loadouts.

2 - you will be meeting people in PVP, and you know, they have only so much rep powers available to equip.

3 - perhaps, just perhaps ill be playing one of my alts without all the reputations finished again, and won't feel like i have to grind missions for WEEKS to get there.. also, now with the 2x rep tokens it is easier to lvl alts through the reputations.

4 - it means that they see no need in increasing the lvl cap, but are going the (imho) right way by giving us horizontal progression. which means no 48k Dill per one piece of MK XIV equipment.

thank you, Cryptic!

Yes because as it stands reps are such OP game breakers, not like all the new ship abilities, skill revamps, doff's, traits, fleet gear, rep gear, ships, universal consoles, have any effect on game balance. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• kargisterkargister Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To hell with being equal to someone who just showed up. I'm not the guy who just signed on and joined a T5 fleet. I'm the guy who put all his time and resources into making a T5 fleet. If we're all "equal" now, do I get a refund? Yeah. Thought not.

Same thing applies to rep. You do the work, you reap the benefits. Enough with the handouts already. Besides, even with these nerfs they still have to grind out the rep anyway. I'm not seeing the vaunted equality they talked about.
    edited March 2014
    kargister wrote: »
    To hell with being equal to someone who just showed up. I'm not the guy who just signed on and joined a T5 fleet. I'm the guy who put all his time and resources into making a T5 fleet. If we're all "equal" now, do I get a refund? Yeah. Thought not.

Same thing applies to rep. You do the work, you reap the benefits. Enough with the handouts already. Besides, even with these nerfs they still have to grind out the rep anyway. I'm not seeing the vaunted equality they talked about.

There is no equality, just imposed limitations now.

edited March 2014
    Yes because as it stands reps are such OP game breakers, not like all the new ship abilities, skill revamps, doff's, traits, fleet gear, rep gear, ships, universal consoles, have any effect on game balance. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

the universal consoles and ship abilities are situational and are taking place of more usable stuff..

skill revamps? yeah, im waiting for a skill revamp. space and ground skills should be skilled independently and there should be a dedicated skill point pool for every one of them..

doffs - agreed. but, players who play for a long time should have SOME more goodies..

rep gear? fleet gear? be in a fleet and contribute, you can get it all!
    now with the new Public Service channel you only need every holding at T1 and enough provisions and you have access to the best of the best.
    - so also something which rewards the old playerbase.
  • kargisterkargister Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oddly enough, those two words you used, "imposed limitations" really put it into perspective for me. I still don't like this change though. Now I'm basically grinding 3 or 4 levels of rep to get one power I'll actually use is what it amounts to. I don't think that's much of a selling point to get new players in, just the opposite really.

Oh well, wait and see I guess.
  • idkodeidkode Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I don't normally post but I really dislike this. I put a lot of work in for those rep skills, and they really don't have too much of a bonus.

If anything, just tone the passives down and keep them situational, such as 2% damage increase against Borg
    edited March 2014
    duaths1 wrote: »
    the universal consoles and ship abilities are situational and are taking place of more usable stuff..

skill revamps? yeah, im waiting for a skill revamp. space and ground skills should be skilled independently and there should be a dedicated skill point pool for every one of them..

What are you talking about, skills have been revamped over and over during this game's lifetime, or are you not aware of the change to global cd's, or no shared cd between team skills, or the new change to ground kits, etc...

doffs - agreed. but, players who play for a long time should have SOME more goodies..

This makes no sense, since even a fresh 50 with money burning a hole in their pocket can simply buy them, not to mention reps can be thought of in the same fashion as you so mentioned.

rep gear? fleet gear? be in a fleet and contribute, you can get it all!
    now with the new Public Service channel you only need every holding at T1 and enough provisions and you have access to the best of the best.
    - so also something which rewards the old playerbase.[/QUOTE
    ]

Yes but at no point did you really disagree that all of this isn't a major factor in game balance, instead people blame it all on rep abilities, oh no they are the greater evil over all the rest. :rolleyes:

edited March 2014
    Just because there are other things that lead to power creep doesn't mean that they can't address this as a way to lower power creep. Does it solve it? No, but it helps.

And this is a more interesting system than the current one anyway.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Brilliant move by the devs. It doesn't halt power creep but it controls one aspect of it.

I can see that there are people who are upset at the prospect of losing some abilities. To those I say you a) this is happening to everyone, not just you so you're not being unfairly disadvantaged, and b) if you can't take a little hit in abilities for the benefit and longevity of the game then that's pretty poor form.
    edited March 2014
    Oddly enough, those two words you used, "imposed limitations" really put it into perspective for me. I still don't like this change though. Now I'm basically grinding 3 or 4 levels of rep to get one power I'll actually use is what it amounts to. I don't think that's much of a selling point to get new players in, just the opposite really.

Oh well, wait and see I guess.

Oh I whole heartedly agree it's for the birds, and imposed limitations means their way of preventing any real progress past a lvl50 with 12 rep skills.

It's kind of like saying you can achieve lvl100 in some other MMO, we are going to limit you to lvl 60 skill wise even though you can achieve 40 more levels.

edited March 2014
    Brilliant move by the devs. It doesn't halt power creep but it controls one aspect of it.

I can see that there are people who are upset at the prospect of losing some abilities. To those I say you a) this is happening to everyone, not just you so you're not being unfairly disadvantaged, and b) if you can't take a little hit in abilities for the benefit and longevity of the game then that's pretty poor form.

How is this adding longevity? It isn't, it is simply limiting game advancement.

• l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think now we have to pick and choose what rep we want to use, we should have the ability to grind a specific rep from its specific tree. so if I want tier 4 omega I can just grind that out without having to grind tier 1 - 3 omega.

All the time invested and in many cases real money I wonder what the compensation for us who have ground out ALL the reps so far will be ? As I am sure the devs will still be sipping on that Martini we paid for by grinding up rep !

what do we get ?

And this closing the gap for newbies is utter tosh, there will always be someone who has more abilities than you at some point, so it will always be unfair !

p.s Entitlement ! for sure I feel entitled I spent cash on the game I came here to have fun and be entitled to what I earn !
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How is this adding longevity? It isn't, it is simply limiting game advancement.

Well then they should do it like everyone else... and raise the level cap 10 levels and force you to go buy a tier 6 star ship... and MK XIV gear.

That to would solve the issue... make level 50-60 not level at all though skill points but with rep... You get 2 levels every time you earn tier 5 reps. So at level 60 you would have to have tier 5 reps in all current rep systems.

Then 6 months or so after enough of you have that all complete... they can raise the level cap to level 65 and again do a New Rep that tier 5 earns you 5 levels... and force everyone to buy Tier 7 Ships and Mk XVI gear.

Sounds like a lot more fun to me... much less grindy... and it will for sure save all of us a lot of green.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited March 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    All the time invested and in many cases real money I wonder what the compensation for us who have ground out ALL the reps so far will be ? As I am sure the devs will still be sipping on that Martini we paid for by grinding up rep !

- you can get EVERYTHING there is in STO without spending a dime (one exception - Red Matter Capacitor), and i surely can't remember i have been spending ANY Zen to gain reputations..

btw - anybody selling a Code for the Red Matter Capacitor? :D
    edited March 2014
    Well then they should do it like everyone else... and raise the level cap 10 levels and force you to go buy a tier 6 star ship... and MK XIV gear.

That to would solve the issue... make level 50-60 not level at all though skill points but with rep... You get 2 levels every time you earn tier 5 reps. So at level 60 you would have to have tier 5 reps in all current rep systems.

Then 6 months or so after enough of you have that all complete... they can raise the level cap to level 65 and again do a New Rep that tier 5 earns you 5 levels... and force everyone to buy Tier 7 Ships and Mk XVI gear.

Sounds like a lot more fun to me... much less grindy... and it will for sure save all of us a lot of green.

:)

That would sound far more reasonable, than the upcoming imposed limitation of lvl 50 with a billion possible rep skills, for which you can never have more than 12 active at any given moment.

Talk about a progress killer. :mad:

edited March 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    (...) Now I can make better decisions and I can change them for free.

Yeah, except now you have 8 less permanent abilities. :P

And what's with all this faux self-empowered 'choice' bit? It reminds me of when I first visited the States, and found myself dumbfounded at seeing so many ads on TV, like every 30 seconds or so; meanwhile hearing the advertisers try and sell it as 'The right to choose!' And ppl buying it, hook, line, and sinker. LOL. So funny.

Anyway, how about I choose *not* to give up my 8 permanent abilities!? Can I do that too?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, except now you have 8 less permanent abilities. :P

And what's with all this faux self-empowered 'choice' bit? It reminds me of when I first visited the States, and found myself dumbfounded at seeing so many ads on TV, like every 30 seconds or so; meanwhile hearing the advertisers try and sell it as 'The right to choose!' And ppl buying it, hook, line, and sinker. LOL. So funny.

Anyway, how about I choose *not* to give up my 8 permanent abilities!? Can I do that too?
    Having 8 less doesn't bother me. Getting to pick and choose what to use I find more interesting than than just having more rep powers. As it is, getting a new power is just kind of boring.
    edited March 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Having 8 less doesn't bother me. Getting to pick and choose what to use I find more interesting than than just having more rep powers. As it is, getting a new power is just kind of boring.

Boring to some maybe, but not other's and do we get a voice in that change? NO :mad:

edited March 2014

^^ Well said.

It would have been one thing if they had limited the rep passives to what ppl currently have; but to retroacticely, and blatantly, rob ppl of 8 abilities is quite another. And don't tell me we don't really lose anything, cuz we do.
    3lsZz0w.jpg