test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

locked files preventing patch?

hello all

Something bothering/ pissing me off since patch day is lack of progress in getting the game to bloody work :(.

ERROR 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing.

Then it restarts and repeats same message.

Anyone got this problem?
Post edited by midgar2 on

Comments

• kytho74656kytho74656 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I originally patched the game, hit engage, at the Cryptic loading screen, hangs a bit, like it usually does after a patch, <then it crashes with support window - not normal>

I did a Force Verify, got Error 36 - File locked. Still unable to play

I am currently 're-patching' after turning off the On-Demand patching, so I have to wait to see if this works or not. So far, I have not been able to play after today's patch (13 March 2014)

Will post again, should this attempt work. :)

At this time, disabling the On-Demand Patching did NOT work like I had hoped. I still cannot log into the game.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There should be a file in your Star Trek Online folder called "ERRORS.log" and it should say what file is locked. Most of the time for me it is GameClient.exe.deleteme

Just delete it and be on your merry way :) If not, you should be able to delete whichever file is listed and the patcher will just redownload it.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• midgar2midgar2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Same,

On verge of uninstalling the thing, fed up with this TRIBBLE now, nothing ever works and bugs always never fixed.

140313 18:32:42 15 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (C:/Program Files (x86)/Perfect World Entertainment/Star Trek Online_en/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe)
    140313 18:32:42 17 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing

Thats the problem. :(
  • kytho74656kytho74656 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The error log shows the following:

140313 19:01:53 15 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing - Could not delete previously renamed file (C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll.deleteme)

140313 19:01:53 17 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing

I attempted to move that file, without deleting, just to be safe, and it did not solve the issue.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    midgar2 wrote: »
    Same,

On verge of uninstalling the thing, fed up with this TRIBBLE now, nothing ever works and bugs always never fixed.

140313 18:32:42 15 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (C:/Program Files (x86)/Perfect World Entertainment/Star Trek Online_en/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe)
    140313 18:32:42 17 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing

Thats the problem. :(
    Did you try deleting the file and running the patcher again?
    kytho74656 wrote: »
    The error log shows the following:

140313 19:01:53 15 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing - Could not delete previously renamed file (C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll.deleteme)

140313 19:01:53 17 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing

I attempted to move that file, without deleting, just to be safe, and it did not solve the issue.
    Try running the patcher as an administrator and see if that clears it up.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Typically when I have experienced this issue it is one or a combination of these problems.

1: If using ARC/Steam make sure they are the primary launcher for the game when allowing it to patch, do not use a manual means to launch the game client (exception to this is if neither are the original launcher).

2: Force verify the files more than once, as sometimes it doesn't seem to catch all the necessary files that need changing.

3: Make sure the game client launcher has full administrative permission before patching, as this is one of the leading causes for a file to be locked.

4: You can delete most of the problematic files associated with this issue, and allow for it to be re-patched.

5: For me I use ARC and must allow for it to be the primary launcher of the game client when doing a new patch, than once it is finished I shut down both the game client and ARC, and than manually launch the game client, however it again needs to patch so allow it to do its thing. As long as both have full administrative permission they will usually patch without incident of a locked file.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• navytaz11navytaz11 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    can anyone help im getting a message error 36 (a file was locked that could not open for writing).when I log into the game this came with the last update. I love this game but am about to delete it