test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't Leave A Chat Channel

toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I'm Trapped in a chat channel.

Can't leave it, logging out doesn't remove it and manually trying to leave it both by using the UI and by typing /Channel_leave isn't working.

I'm to understand the channel in question "Trade" is from Champions online. Cross game chat is cool and all but not being able to leave a channel or even speak in that channel is a bit stupid. I need some resolution to this issue. Other than the one I heard of installing Champions and removing myself from the channel in that game. .. I don't want to install another game just to remove a chat channel .. its BAD Design to make it that way.
Post edited by toddmillhouse on

Comments

• mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's the only solution until such a time as they get around to fixing it. Don't hold your breath. You'll die.

If you don't want to install CO (I wouldn't want to either, just to fix an issue in a different game) you can right click your chat tabs and uncheck the Trade channel so you at least won't see the chatting.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's the only solution until such a time as they get around to fixing it. Don't hold your breath. You'll die.

If you don't want to install CO (I wouldn't want to either, just to fix an issue in a different game) you can right click your chat tabs and uncheck the Trade channel so you at least won't see the chatting.

That would be a good solution, However it doesn't show it. Going into the Chat UI and trying to leave the channel that way doesn't work, can't stop it from displaying and to top it all off, I can't even speak in the channel.

This is the Support forum I would like to think actual support personel are looking at these threads.

Send This Issue To The Devs For Imideate Repair... My chat box is being spammed in such a way that Chat is for all intents and purposes useless to me because I can't see whats being said as its scrolling to damned fast.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you scroll through the list there's none named Trade that you can uncheck?

http://i.imgur.com/bIHlAVg.jpg

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you scroll through the list there's none named Trade that you can uncheck?

http://i.imgur.com/bIHlAVg.jpg

No there isn't the cross game chat Trade channel is broken or buged or something so I can't leave it or talk in it. I just want to get the damned thing off. As I said previously Chat is basically useless for me in STO because the spam from the Trade Channel is appearing in every window including new ones I make.
  • nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the only working fix for that you install CO

from there you can untick & leave that global channel once and for all

and trust me, you will install it just for doing that

resistance is futile
    Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
  • idobrovolskyidobrovolsky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the same situation like topic starter. And I too don't want to install any uninteresting (not small, and clog up my registry) games just to leave from bugged channel.
  • nortyfinernortyfiner Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have this same issue, and also the observation that the chat system in STO is downright primitive and user-unfriendly compared to other games such as WoW. It really needs to be brought up to proper modern MMO standards.
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only partial way around not having to install CO is to set every player in the channel to ignore as you see them. I've found it's mostly the same people that use the channel, so that at least takes most of the chat box spam out.
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Same issue here. All I want is a way to shut it off.
    Hate to resort to ignoring people just for talking in trade but I guess there is no other option left.
    :mad:
  • grievasgrievas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also fell into this trap :(
  • lostpinky101lostpinky101 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Same problem here, I'm downloading CO now to try and fix it. Would be nice if it showed in the channels option tab anyway though. Even if it was from CO or NWN.
    Founding Don
    - Ausmonauts
    - Imperial Ausmonauts
    ausmonautsportal.enjin.com
  • reinerfoxreinerfox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So are we waiting or do we make a a bug report?
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hello, this problem reminded me of the emote issue on Risa.
    So I'm going to post the old workaround I found back then. I'm not sure if it works, but maybe it can be adapted and also works as a solution for removing the trade channel messages:
    WORK AROUND

This work-around is for characters who have emote messages enabled and want to disable them, but cannot due to the option missing in the UI post LoR. If you already have emote chat disabled, then carry on. Otherwise, you can import your HUD/UI settings from your favorite character, modify the file using the instructions below, and load it to any/ all your characters. Enjoy!

* In-game, press Escape, go to Options > HUD, and click "Save UI"

* Find your ui_Settings.txt file in your STO files.
    * * If using Steam, this will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"
    * * If using the regular launch, this should be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"

* Open the ui_settings.txt file with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor.

* Use the Find function (typically F3) to find the name of the Chat tab you want to edit.

* In the settings for the tab, you'll see the line "MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive". Underneath are names of channels you DON'T want to see in the tab; e.i.: "MessageType NPC".

* Add the following line: "MessageType Emote".
    ** Tired of Dabo messages too? Then also add the following line: "MessageType Minigame".

* Save the file and exit your text editing program.

* In-game, press Escape, go to Options > HUD, and click "Load UI"

* PROFIT!

You're welcome

Of course you would have to replace "MessageType Emote" with "MessageType Trade", and maybe even add "MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive"to the file in the first place.
    That might look like this:

pChatConfig
    {

eaChatTabGroupConfigs
    {
    Name 0

eaChatTabConfigs
    {
    Title Chat
    DefaultChannel Zone_Kfr_Sol_Starbase_Ground
    ChannelFilterMode Exclusive
    MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive
    MessageType Emote
    MessageType NPC
    MessageType Mission
    MessageType Reward
    MessageType Trade
    }

Please note that as I said before, I don't claim ownership of this 'fix'. And I haven't tested it. Use at your own risk. And don't forget to make backups.
    Good luck.
  • reinerfoxreinerfox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I implemented the above post fully and it didn't work, but it pointed me in the right direction.

The reason it did not work seems to be that the channel is not valid (formatting or compatibility) within STO, hence STO doesn't know how to filter it or remove it(leave) from the game.

What we are going to do is very similar to above, but do it using the default settings for chat channels instead of the exclusive mode. (As exclusive can't filter it)

Skip this section if you don't want instructions and just want the code:
    Instructions:

NOTE: To get a full list of valid MessageTypes
    (as the channel name and how it is coded are not always the same i.e. Tell = Private)
    - in game
    - open "Chat Settings"
    - "Add New Window"
    - Select your new window
    - deselect all game channels in your new window
    - exit chat ettings
    - open "options" -> "HUD"
    - "Save UI"
    - open the file in notepad or similar text editor
    - edit the file
    - search for Chat

-- Remove the following lines after DefaultChannel in the desired tab (each tab has Title xxxx):
    ChannelFilterMode Exclusive
    MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive

-- Add / Edit the Messages you want to display (ie):
    MessageType Friend
    MessageType Guild
    MessageType Emote
    MessageType Private
    MessageType TeamUp
    MessageType Team

- save in editor
    - "Load UI" in game

In the file Star Trek Online\Live\ui-settings.txt
    find pChatConfig
    remove the pChatconfig section and paste the following (change ##### to you fleet number):

pChatConfig
    {

eaChatTabGroupConfigs
    {
    Name 0

eaChatTabConfigs
    {
    Title Chat
    DefaultChannel Guildid_Holodeck#####
    MessageType NPC
    MessageType Combatself
    MessageType Combatteam
    MessageType Combatother
    MessageType Inventory
    MessageType Local
    MessageType Match
    MessageType minigame
    MessageType Mission
    MessageType Officer
    MessageType Zone
    MessageType Rewardminor
    MessageType Reward
    MessageType System
    MessageType Friend
    MessageType Guild
    MessageType Emote
    MessageType Private
    MessageType TeamUp
    MessageType Team
    }

eaChatTabConfigs
    {
    Title NPC
    DefaultChannel Local
    MessageType NPC
    MessageType System
    }

eaChatTabConfigs
    {
    Title Combat
    DefaultChannel Local
    MessageType Combatself
    MessageType Combatteam
    MessageType Combatother
    MessageType Rewardminor
    MessageType System
    }

eaChatTabConfigs
    {
    Title MyDam
    DefaultChannel Local
    MessageType Combatself
    MessageType CombatTeam
    }

eaChatTabConfigs
    {
    Title Fleet
    DefaultChannel Guildid_Holodeck#####
    MessageType Friend
    MessageType Guild
    MessageType Emote
    MessageType Private
    MessageType TeamUp
    MessageType Team
    }
    CurrentTab 4
    Time 452112602
    }
    pchCurrentTabGroup 0
    pchCurrentInputChannel Guildid_Holodeck#####
    pchStatusMessage "Join me, and together we will rule the instance!"
    iVersion 25
    fActiveWindowAlpha 0.899999
    fInactiveWindowAlpha 0.449998
    bShowMessageTypeNames 1
    bProfanityFilter 1
    }

NOTE: THE BROKEN CHANNEL IS NOT GONE, IT IS JUST NOT INCLUDED IN THE TABS

If you add anymore chat tabs or want changes then the same work around will need to be applied again for the new tab

The only real way of getting rid of the invalid channel may be to install Champions Online as it recognizes the channel properly.

Cheers
  • valerhionvalerhion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    -Sigh- I was afraid i would have to install champions to get rid of this freaking channel. Only problem with installing CO is the interminable patch times!!! 3 hours in and no sign of being able to get into the game to get rid of this blasted channel.

-prays to the patch gods-
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, god damn! I'm having the exact same problem... Why there isn't a specific STO "Trade" channel is beyond me... All I wanted was to buy a KDF Romulan engineer. D:<
  • cosmicsunwindcosmicsunwind Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    someone trolled me into joining this channel today. same issue. can't leave it. there's no godamn way i'm installing CO to get rid of it. fix your TRIBBLE cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noxteregnoxtereg Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Stuck in this channel now too.
    Why isn't this fixed by now? yeesh
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    noxtereg wrote: »
    Stuck in this channel now too.
    Why isn't this fixed by now? yeesh

Welcome to one of the most annoying problems this game has. Taking it off once CO is installed takes seconds, but it sucks horribly to have to install the game just to take off one channel.

Readers beware: NEVER add the "trade" channel.
  • twistedsouljatwistedsoulja Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just made this mistake and joined this channel and cannot remove it, this problem is how many years old and no fix ?, apart from installing a whole game to get rid of it (that reason alone I necro an old thread) I am really starting to think cryptic really don't care as I logged in the other week with half my purple items missing and no reply from devs and the like........
  • nemejonennemejonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ok, I got stuck in that channel too. And...This Problem is more than 6 months old!!!!

That forced me to write GM Tickets, that forced me to look for this thread.
    That is one reason more to think that Craptic and PW have no interest in doing things "for the players". OMG! I am so frustrated with the Customer Service of Star Trek.

My Opinion is, there is no need for crossgame channels at all!
    Why crossgame channels that have no use for 99% of all players in Star Trek? Why no fix such Problems immediately. Such thing NEVER need more than 1 or 2 Days to soleve if you really WANT to solve them.
    First solution for me is to just completly erase such channels in Champions Online and just close any cross game channels AT ALL!
    Its so damn annoying that Craptic/PW produces such immense Bugs all the time and don't have any interest in solving them as fast as possible.

I hope this will get fixed soon. I really think about stop playing. There are so many less bugged games in this world.
  • shinra84shinra84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Channel name: trade
    Command: /channel_leave trade = does't work
    Leave button on channels tab = does't work
    Channel from another game (i see other item etc.)
    On selection list: [[UTRANSLATED]ChatConfig_MessageType_Trade]
    Not possible to hide it too.
    Not possible to inform channel admin to kick me - can't write on it.

reproduce: just join it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CLR—Infected Space[2:24]—Dmg(DPS)—Bi'Quarpa@9.163.310(65.437)—Xindi-E(dbb/mk.xiv)—build
    CLR—Infected Space[2:06]—Dmg(DPS)—Bi'Quarpa@6.421.868(52.210)—JHAS(dhc/mk.xiv)—build
  • fersoltilfersoltil Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is beyond ridiculous. This bug is over 2 years old and now I have to install that stupid game?
  • leptoon3rsleptoon3rs Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm also having the same problem with the same channel. Funny how a problem can persist for such a long time and never get fixed. Installing Champions Online now, only to uninstall it five minutes later.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    my chars. name in champions on. is "to delete trade channel from sto" add me :P
  • bevrastbevrast Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have started downloading CO just to uninstall it after this is done. That damn spamming from this channel makes everything disappear in all my tabs, damn it. And I can't even write in there to ask them to stfu. Most annoying trap in STO.
    draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
    CHRIST.png
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's not just the "trade" channel. I reported a similar bug with the "Team" channel almost a year ago.

Holodeck ticket #2,581,777: Unable to leave "Team" channel

I suspect that all the built-in channels have the same problem. My guess is that the game allows users to create and join channels with the same name as built-in channels, but it doesn't allow to you leave such a channel precisely because it has the same name as a built-in channel. They have a check for leaving, but not for joining or creating. Since the chat servers are shared between all of Cryptic's games, there is probably no one team responsible for maintaining them. I'm not sure who would be responsible for fixing this bug: the STO team? the Neverwinter team? the Champions team?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This really needs to be fixed.

I play on a mac and just fell into this trap. And because Champions Online is for windows only, I can't install it to remove the "trade" channel.

So now i'm stuck with spam that I can't even hide...
    7aamriW.png
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This is still an issue over a year after we started reporting this. Make of that what you will. :mad:
    It's an irritating channel that can be just as bad as ESD and sector zone chat at times and we should have the option to leave it.

I found a workaround if you don't want to install CO. Setup your "NPC" or "combat" tab as your chat box by clicking whatever channels you want displayed in them. Trade will still be in the other tabs but won't be in those. Setting up a new tab doesn't work so you will only be limited to two non-trade chat tabs so keep that in mind when you set them up.