Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #54: Galaxy Class Reboot

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    serevn wrote: »
    I'm only taking one thing from this, that this must mean Bird of Preys are also gonna be extremely upgraded.

Actually, I've been wondering what the Galaxy Reboot is going to mean for the Negh'Var...and if they're still looking at doing the Assault Negh'Var Retrofit/Refit/Rewhatever - and - that if Cryptic doesn't match the Gal-X BOFF layout to the Bulwark so folks can get that LCdr Uni...well, we'll never hear the end of it.

I honestly don't expect the BoP stuff until May or later...
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's 2409...the Galaxy-class hasn't been the flagship for a wee bit of time. It was replaced in 2372 by the Sovereign-class. That was 37 years ago. The Sovereign-class was replaced in 2409 by the Odyssey-class.

This isn't TNGO...it's not TOSO...it's not VOYO, ENTO, nor DS9O...it's STO. It's 2409...your "flagship" is over 50 years old and is pretty much a dump truck. Course, that would mean that the Excelsior is pretty much a wheelbarrow. But it was obviously necessary to point out what year it is in STO...er...for some reason.

As for the Gal-X (existing somewhere between 2395-2404, whether you base the 25 years after the end of the TNG series in 2370 or after the crew actually splitting up in 2379), it being Riker's personal flagship did not make it Starfleet's flagship any more than any of the Excelsior boats flying around during DS9...they were just personal flagships.

Which kind of brings us back to STO...where as Admiral Joe Random, a player could still fly an Excelsior as their personal flagship..or any one of 23+ T5 Cruisers (not including all the kitbash variants) - or - for that matter, any of the 90+ T5 ships available to Feds (69+ to KDF or 53+ to Romulans)...could be their flagship.

The content for Gal-R (Negh'Var) doesn't exist in STO - and personally, I'd have to say that I'm not really sure I'd want that content to exist. I'm not a fan of the Trinity. So yeah, the Gal-R/Gal-X (as well as some other ships) need to be adjusted to reflect the content that exists in STO...

...but that's not going to change that it's 2409 and the Galaxy is a wee bit out of date and that expecting it to be on par with the latest/greatest...is just silly.
    We don't have to wonder when the Galaxy-X was commissioned. According to the path to 2409, they were made in 2499 when the K Accords broke down. So it's only ten years old. The Galaxy itself was designed to be a working class for Starfleet for a century (guess they learned from the success of the Excelsior). The only reason the Sovereign was built was the Borg attack showed that everything needed an upgrade and quick.

And completely agree, the trinity shouldn't even apply to Starships.

The interesting thing about the upper tier ships is that the Sovereign a 37 year old starship is the same tier and as far as the game is concerned class as the virtually brand spanking new Noble class.
    The high-and-mighty Enterprise-D was the best and most powerfull ship at her time because:

- the writers wanted so
    - her crew consisted of a diplomatic french, a horny commander, an Android who thought and worked more stable than the ship's computer, an Alien brute who turns berzerker, a tele-empathic councellor, a blind Miracleworker who could see in the EM spectrum, a medical know-it-all, a whiz-Kid.

Those were the people who did all those things that made the Enterprise surviving all the years.

How often was the Enterprise trapped in anomalies, bubbles, or was heavy damaged because of fights or Ion Storms or quantum filaments, and so on. The ship did nothing.
    And don't forget the times the computer had viruses or was taken over.

It was the crew who did all those things that made the Enterprise-D that powerfull. Because of rethoric skills and intelligence.

If ships like the yamato or the odyssey had crews like the D had, they would still be in one piece.

Well crew is important in fact the most important, but the Galaxy has a better performance record than that.

The Odyssey itself was explicitly destroyed to present the level of threat. The showrunners were literally saying that even if this was the crew of the Enterprise-D, they would've been killed by the Jem'Hadar too.

Furthermore, the importance of crew is shown by how the E-D died. Though in this case it was Tolian Soran.

However, during the Dominion war up until the second battle of Chintoka when the Breen broke out their ship neutralizing drain weapon, the Galaxies were pretty dominant on the battlefield.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The F.Gal-R is a tank in a game requiring no tank.

It's a content issue.

I think this is very true. However... Which is more realistic: changing all the content to match the original design...

OR

Changing the design to match the kind of content we have?

I realize this is terribly reductive but changing content requires a lot of intelligent decisions whereas changing design to match content as it exists is a lot closer to a spreadsheet change.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I didn't say the Galaxies aren't powerfull. They are amongst the toughest ships, but they still can be destroyed very easily if you know how.

And the Dominion War Galaxies were upgraded a short time before. And it also helped that the Mirandas, Excelsiors, Akiras etc. were cannonfodder :D
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    its a totalconversion mod for the game sins of a solar empire: rebellion.
    That game is cheap nowadays.

The mod team is currently working on adding the dominion cardassian faction.

Sins has many more mods including bsg, starwars.

Plus the basegame is awsome too.

The Game is still going for decent money on Steam but I was able to score a new sealed copy for less than half of what Steam was asking.

To bad I won't be able to play it till the 10th :(

I can't believe that a mod team was able to do so much with that game in less than 2 years :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I know I previously posted that I wouldn't write in this thread again, but I feel it is important.

I'm calling for everyone who has a Galaxy (T4 Galaxy, Galaxy-R or Galaxy-X) and that knows how to use them, (and that like the upcoming changes) to use only them and only them for the next week, to both support Cryptic and show these nay-Sayers that they are wrong! Won't you join me in showing that the Galaxies still have a place in STO!?!?! :eek: :D :eek: :D

Take up the call and pass it on!
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sanatoba wrote: »
    to both support Cryptic

No, thanks.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I know I previously posted that I wouldn't write in this thread again, but I feel it is important.

I'm calling for everyone who has a Galaxy (T4 Galaxy, Galaxy-R or Galaxy-X) and that knows how to use them, (and that like the upcoming changes) to use only them and only them for the next week, to both support Cryptic and show these nay-Sayers that they are wrong! Won't you join me in showing that the Galaxies still have a place in STO!?!?! :eek: :D :eek: :D

No. I simply cannot support the lazy half TRIBBLE job they've done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I didn't say the Galaxies aren't powerfull. They are amongst the toughest ships, but they still can be destroyed very easily if you know how.

And the Dominion War Galaxies were upgraded a short time before. And it also helped that the Mirandas, Excelsiors, Akiras etc. were cannonfodder :D
    Well the Miranda class was a century old at that point and it started out as a frigate. I don't remember seeing Akiras during the Dominion War. The Excelsior didn't fare that well in the Dominion War, but I think they did well considering they were pushing 90.

I know the Galaxy class received upgrades in the build up to the war, but we are flying those versions now.

I'm calling for everyone who has a Galaxy (T4 Galaxy, Galaxy-R or Galaxy-X) and that knows how to use them, (and that like the upcoming changes) to use only them and only them for the next week, to both support Cryptic and show these nay-Sayers that they are wrong! Won't you join me in showing that the Galaxies still have a place in STO!?!?! :eek: :D

The weird thing is I see plenty of Galaxy-Xs even before this was announced. It's not like they're a pink elephant or a white rhinoceros that no one sees.

There aren't naysayers saying the Dreadnaught is bad and needs to go. The naysayers are the people not falling for the Jedi Mind trick. These are not the updates we were looking for.

I might actually shell out for G Dreadnaught for my tac alt, if I felt that I wouldn't be crippling her.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Well the Miranda class was a century old at that point and it started out as a frigate. I don't remember seeing Akiras during the Dominion War. The Excelsior didn't fare that well in the Dominion War, but I think they did well considering they were pushing 90.

I know the Galaxy class received upgrades in the build up to the war, but we are flying those versions now.

The weird thing is I see plenty of Galaxy-Xs even before this was announced. It's not like they're a pink elephant or a white rhinoceros that no one sees.

There aren't naysayers saying the Dreadnaught is bad and needs to go. The naysayers are the people not falling for the Jedi Mind trick. These are not the updates we were looking for.

I might actually shell out for G Dreadnaught for my tac alt, if I felt that I wouldn't be crippling her.

Still I say it is all about the skills and abilities of the crew to push the right buttons at the right time.

Theres a guy doing STFs in an Oberth with Fleet Gear. He usually survives.
    Give a noob the same ship and gear and he is dead in seconds.
    Its all about skills.

And stop having the last word. Schlimmer als meine Mutter
    :D
  • Options
    kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am against the saucer separation for the Galaxy X. However I don't mind the hangar pets.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • Options
    cha0s1428cha0s1428 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've never been a big fan of the Gal-X honestly, as it always seemed a bit out of place in this game, lore wise, but I can certainly understand the people who have spent money on it, actually wanting it to be good. Truthfully though, I am more upset about the Gal-R.

Again, I don't own this ship. I really really want to own this ship, but honestly, I have an Oddy, an Excelsior, and an Avenger so there really isn't much reason to downgrade to a Gal-R

However, to all of the people saying "it's an old ship, it's not gonna be great anymore", or "its a 2000 Zen ship" (both of which are excellent points), I do agree with you. It is an old ship. There is something to point out though, and no its not the Excelsior argument, but rather the fleet version argument.

Fleet versions were meant to bring older ship variants, like the Excelsior, the Intrepid, and hell even the Defiant, and retrofit them with "modern" technology.

All fleet ships cost the same amount.

However, even the fleet version suffers from the same shortcomings as the Gal-R.

Yes its only got 2 tac consoles, and yes its only got 6 turn. Fleet consoles can do quite a bit to help here (granted they can do even more on a better ship, but I digress)

You can make up for its lack of damage somewhat by dumping points into Threat Control for aggro pulling, as well as embassy consoles, but these are not the real issues I see with this ship.

Its that freakin Ensign Engineer. Now, I found a really nice use for the 3rd Ensign on the Excelsior, but that only has a Commander and a Lt. and an Ensign. Making that Lt. into a Lt. Commander on the Galaxy is just overkill. Cooldowns bumping into each other, and a lack of any real usefulness for ensign skills, especially engineer.

So just simply take that Ensign engineer, and make a a Sci. I would prefer a tac of course, or yes a Universal, but if you don't want to make it into a "tactical ship", then just make it an ensign Sci. Not great (its an ensign after all) but it would a huge improvement and I would finally buy my favorite ship.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    /snip

i use to fly my gal-x with dhc's in pvp for quite some time now and i'm sick i not at least have the option to get 2 reliable crf's on there. not even a single cannon build really makes sense, it's bound to beams if ya not crazy + a stupid wastee... on a WARSHIP that got the ability to carry dhc's, dammit. why even give that option without provinding the fundamentals for it?!?! :(...

indeed when i'm on my d'kora i always think like "the galaxy should be like this one" (a ship that on the shows only has been a match for a normal galaxy with dirty tricks if i recall right...)

i won't support cryptics so called "reboot" because i think it's a job half done, if even that.
    actually they not changed a lot about, they just slapped on a bit, bend it together and now are adverstising the whole thing like they've reinvented the wheel... beside the fact they actually not really changed anything about the (fleet-)gal-r at all :mad:...
    sry, nope...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think this is very true. However... Which is more realistic: changing all the content to match the original design...

OR

Changing the design to match the kind of content we have?

I realize this is terribly reductive but changing content requires a lot of intelligent decisions whereas changing design to match content as it exists is a lot closer to a spreadsheet change.

Oh, I'm definitely opposed to retooling the content to address a few ships that would need to be retooled instead...

...I've had enough of Tanks and their EGOS in far too many games to want that here.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cha0s1428 wrote: »
    Again, I don't own this ship. I really really want to own this ship, but honestly, I have an Oddy, an Excelsior, and an Avenger so there really isn't much reason to downgrade to Gal-R
    The F.Gal-R is a tank in a game requiring no tank.
    It's a content issue.

I remember when I first started playing this game. I couldn't wait to level up fast enough so I could fly this Iconic fan favorite ship from the shows.

I personally am not asking that the Galaxy be as good as an Odyssey or perform like an Avenger.

Sure, these are newer ships.

But the Excelsior, the Cardy Gallor and The Ferengi D'kora were also seen on these shows and they were never depicted as being as superior to the Galaxy IN ANY WAY as they are in this game. I know two of these are lock box ships, but it really is kinda ridiculous.

The Galaxy needs a DPS boost, at the very least another Tactical console mod. It needs at least three. Take one away from engineering. This is my opinion.

I also think it could use some sort of heavy omni directional phaser beam, similar to the antiproton beam the Dyson carrier has, maybe have it in a set like the carrier. One that gives a boost to phaser damage.

Or, maybe once the ship seperates, It could get some kinda Dyson science destroyer tactical mode DPS type boost.

I'm just thinking out of my butt here, but I'm sure there are all kinds of ways they could give
    this ship a much needed balance pass.

I'd even pay for the upgraded version AGAIN.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Y'know, I got thinking: what if the reason the Galaxy family sucks is because we're being told to make adventures with these other ships? I mean, think about it: yes, the Galaxy, because of the Enterprise-D, is incredibly iconic because we saw it being flown and kicking plenty of butt. The Excelsior-class? Most we got was one movie and being chumped in another. Ambassador-class? It HAD to die and we rarely see these things again. Sovereign-class? Three movies before we could really see it shine.

If Cryptic and CBS gave us our powerful Galaxys and T5 Connies, that's all we'd see in space: nothing but. Excelsiors and Ambassadors and all of that would get left behind because we'd pretend to be Kirk and Picard. I think, in some subtle way, we're being told "There's more to Star Trek than pretending to be Kirk and Picard. Go be your own hero." and if this meant restricting the iconic ships to let the others shine, then so be it.

Now, I know I'm probably talking out of my rear with all of this, but I think this may be a reason, even if it doesn't make sense. Yes, we can make the Galaxys and everything shine, but there are other classes out there and they need their time, too.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    cha0s1428 wrote: »
    All fleet ships cost the same amount.

Actually, they don't. There are Fleet and "Fleet" ships, those with the Fleet tag and those without that still require a Fleet. You've got ships with discounts because of owning a T5 C-Store variant and you have ships without said discounts because there is no T5 C-Store variant. You've got ships that T1-T5 Shipyards, where the cost to reach that tier of shipyard most definitely is part of an increased cost to get the ship. There are T1-T3 Spire ships as well, which likewise face an increased cost. Heck, you've even got a few 5 FSM instead of 4 FSM boats out there.

IMHO mind you, there's all sorts of issues with how they have various T5 and T5 Fleet Ships priced. 2k Zen, 2.5k Zen 9 Console, 2.5k Zen 10 Console, and then the various Tier requirements for ships...but that's a separate discussion of what if rather than what is...meh.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The Excelsior-class? Most we got was one movie and being chumped in another.

Er...no. 5 films, 12-17 TNG, 31 DS9, 4-6 VOY, and even a display in ENT. There were at least 18 of them named, several more that were unnamed, and even some named ships which might have been Excelsior-class ships. There were more Excelsior-class ships shown/mentioned than Galaxy-class ships...though, a Galaxy did get its own show while the Excelsior never did. ;)

The Excelsior is not quite in the same category as the Ambassador...a handful named and less than a handful of appearances.
  • Options
    ogremindesogremindes Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want the Galaxy Retrofit to be not obviously terrible to a non-optimiser like me. Which really just means changing the boff layout to one that doesn't have 3 ensign engineer powers.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    But the Excelsior, the Cardy Gallor and The Ferengi D'kora were also seen on these shows and they were never depicted as being as superior to the Galaxy IN ANY WAY as they are in this game. I know two of these are lock box ships, but it really is kinda ridiculous.

Shows.
    Fictional shows.
    Writers.
    Stories.
    Fiction.

Watching any of the Star Trek series/movies is not akin to watching a documentary or the like on History, Discovery, etc, etc, etc.

They were works of fictions riddled with plot holes, plot armor, plot weapons, and all kinds of plot devices. Things were invincible until they needed a pretty explosion to move the story. Things were pretty explosions until they needed to be invincible to move the story.

It was more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction, though no Space Opera - it certainly wasn't Modern Marvels: Starfleet or anything of the like. It was entertainment. Just like STO's entertainment. Entertainment's full of compromises...and STO's no different.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Y'know, I got thinking: what if the reason the Galaxy family sucks is because we're being told to make adventures with these other ships? I mean, think about it: yes, the Galaxy, because of the Enterprise-D, is incredibly iconic because we saw it being flown and kicking plenty of butt. The Excelsior-class? Most we got was one movie and being chumped in another. Ambassador-class? It HAD to die and we rarely see these things again. Sovereign-class? Three movies before we could really see it shine.

If Cryptic and CBS gave us our powerful Galaxys and T5 Connies, that's all we'd see in space: nothing but. Excelsiors and Ambassadors and all of that would get left behind because we'd pretend to be Kirk and Picard. I think, in some subtle way, we're being told "There's more to Star Trek than pretending to be Kirk and Picard. Go be your own hero." and if this meant restricting the iconic ships to let the others shine, then so be it.

Now, I know I'm probably talking out of my rear with all of this, but I think this may be a reason, even if it doesn't make sense. Yes, we can make the Galaxys and everything shine, but there are other classes out there and they need their time, too.

Nah, that ain't the case. For example, we have the Venture Class which is also an Exploration Cruiser and a new take on the Galaxy designed by Cryptic that doesn't look bad at all. It esentially is a new ship, so a player may want to make his adventures in the Exploration Cruiser - Venture Class which is different from Picard's Enterprise-D.
    Why should someone be gimped on purpose because he/she happens to like a certain profile of a ship? Maybe he/she likes Exploration Cruisers, but not necessarily Galaxy Class. I've seen plenty of Ventures and Monarchs as well. I for example always liked the exploration part of ST, so when on Fed you can usually see me in explorers - be it the Exploration Crusier (my fav cause I also like cruisers) or the Multi-Mission Explorer.

As to seeing nothing else but Galaxies and Connies if they're usefull, I don't think that's an issue. I mean, if we look around the game so many players fly some weird alien ships anyway. Besides, maybe those 2 are really popular, but then again there are people that loved the Excelsior or Intrepid or Defiant or Akira, etc....so I don't really think it's an issue of seing nothing than those 2 ships.

I can think of several reasons why the situation with the Galaxy is what it is, but most of them are probably wrong so I'll just shut up.

With this revamp they didn't do what most of us expected (talking about the Galaxy-R here), but at least they didn't make her worse. It has the improved saucer separation now and a 2-piece bonus which can be usefull I guess for new players and chars that don't have access to top quality fleat gear yet. The bundle for a cheaper price of 4k Zen and a bridge pack included will hopefully lead to us seing a bit more canon Trek ships and Starfleet ships flying around, which is nice.
    The revamp didn't improve nothing significantly to the Gal-R, but it received a touch and at least it's better if only by smidge now, rather than worse. They could've slapped a hangar to her which would make my biggest STO nightmare come ture and I'm happy they didn't violate the ship like that.
    So I guess I'll take what I get, it's something even if small and be on my merry way. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know, I really like the news, plain and simple. And I'm not one to slot a tactical officer in the new universal boff slot. I plan on using a science boff instead. I'm getting tired of everyone assuming it will still only be used for tac. I didn't like the tac and science setup on my sovereign either so I got the mirror one instead. And I'm excited about the saucer sep and hanger. I think it will really help the ship (yes I have the saucer sep console already, on one character, from early on in STOs history, but not on the other characters; I plan on getting it as soon as I can for the others). Why are so many people upset about the lack of changes to a ship that others (like me) think is a great ship already? I use my Galaxy-R and X all the time and love them! And now the saucer sep is fixed and the X is improved a bit. Why do so many insist they want a Tac or Uni commander rank station on the ship when there is enough people who think it is fine without it? (Can you tell, I'm frustrated by this much?) Cryptic can't please everyone....and there are plenty of other ships to fly. Why does there need to be such a big argument over this ship (or any ship, for that matter)?
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Shows.
    Fictional shows.
    Writers.
    Stories.
    Fiction.

Watching any of the Star Trek series/movies is not akin to watching a documentary or the like on History, Discovery, etc, etc, etc.

They were works of fictions riddled with plot holes, plot armor, plot weapons, and all kinds of plot devices. Things were invincible until they needed a pretty explosion to move the story. Things were pretty explosions until they needed to be invincible to move the story.

It was more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction, though no Space Opera - it certainly wasn't Modern Marvels: Starfleet or anything of the like. It was entertainment. Just like STO's entertainment. Entertainment's full of compromises...and STO's no different.

True, But this isn't reality, It's fantasy..... (I've always wanted to use that line :P)
    a fantasy game based on those fictional shows that is.

It even has stories written by writers too, with plot holes just like the shows ! So I'm a bit confused where you are going with this.

I think with this case STO should try to follow the shows somewhat, like a guide, otherwise why even make this a Star Trek game in the first place ? Just my opinion.

So I guess my mistake would be to expect STO to be like Star Trek ?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Not this...
    So many ways the Gal-X or similar could be better to match Scims.

This...
    Or a BRAND NEW modern State of the Art T5 Federation Dreadnought Class altogether? ;);) lol :)

But only after the Balaur, Ravager, Warbarge 3pack! :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Still I say it is all about the skills and abilities of the crew to push the right buttons at the right time.

Theres a guy doing STFs in an Oberth with Fleet Gear. He usually survives.
    Give a noob the same ship and gear and he is dead in seconds.
    Its all about skills.

And stop having the last word. Schlimmer als meine Mutter
    :D

The Dedication plaque on my ship says, "The sword alone is of little value" ;)

And it is true also that if you give a great crew a better ship they can do even more than they could with the rust bucket. Compare the Enterprise-D's encounter with the Borg with the Enterprise-E.

And it's not hard to be worse than your mother I'm sure that she's a lovely woman.
  • Options
    cha0s1428cha0s1428 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually, they don't. There are Fleet and "Fleet" ships, those with the Fleet tag and those without that still require a Fleet. You've got ships with discounts because of owning a T5 C-Store variant and you have ships without said discounts because there is no T5 C-Store variant. You've got ships that T1-T5 Shipyards, where the cost to reach that tier of shipyard most definitely is part of an increased cost to get the ship. There are T1-T3 Spire ships as well, which likewise face an increased cost. Heck, you've even got a few 5 FSM instead of 4 FSM boats out there.

IMHO mind you, there's all sorts of issues with how they have various T5 and T5 Fleet Ships priced. 2k Zen, 2.5k Zen 9 Console, 2.5k Zen 10 Console, and then the various Tier requirements for ships...but that's a separate discussion of what if rather than what is...meh.

True enough. I have only recently come back since right after Season 7, so I am new to the Spire ships.

I suppose what I am talking about then is if you look at the Fleet Gal being a T4 shipyard ship, required either 4 modules, or a zen purchase + 1 module, and then compare it to all of the ships requiring a shipyard 1-3.

Star cruiser, and Heavy cruiser both are equal in tankiness as far as Boff layout goes, and both have more dps capabilities as well as equal or better Sci capabilities.

The Excelsior i left out of that comparison, as well as the ships that cost fleet credits as apposed to modules, as the Excelsior isn't set up as a tank as per its boff layout. (though it can very well) and the FC ships as they, well, they should be compared against each other rather than module ships.

My point is that when you compare the Fleet Galaxy to other ships that cost the same modules and/or zen purchase for the discount, it is out performed by all of them on every level, with the very tiny exception of hull HP.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    True, But this isn't reality, It's fantasy..... (I've always wanted to use that line :P)
    a fantasy game.

With stories written by writers too, with plot holes just like the shows. So I'm not sure where you are going with this.

Er...I um...said that.
    I think with this case STO should try to follow the shows somewhat, like a guide, otherwise why even make this a Star Trek game in the first place ?

So I guess my mistake would be to expect STO to be like Star Trek ?

Like Star Trek? Which Star Trek? There's no show nor movie that's taking place in 2409. That's what year it is...it would be a mistake to think STO was taking place during any of the shows or movies - since it's not. Where we are with STO is where Star Trek is...like it or not.

Was TNG like TOS? Was VOY, DS9, ENT like TNG and TOS? This is STO...this is where Star Trek is now.