test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beyond Level 50

Comments

• gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    done been said ships will not be going past t5. meaning the 10 consoles is the max. the extra 10 level if it ever happens will just be new content and the summon fleet ability.
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only problem we'll have now is the fact that so many people have been playing at top level for so long, most of those people will practically give up when they see that all of their current gear will become obsolete in comparison with any new level of gear. More importantly, getting a new level of ship, when all of the damn C-Store ships that have cost people thousands of ZEN to obtain are also now obsolete, would be more than a pain in the TRIBBLE, it would be downright robbery. "Hey, you know all those ships you guys have bought with real money to be at the top level of ships and gear? Well, now it's all getting replaced by NEW ships that will also cost you thousands of ZEN! Yay for us!" Great, fantastic, thanks...

It was Cryptics fault for making the level cap 50 for so long. If they release a cap increase now, many people will probably complain quite a bit, and quite loudly.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You know there is a way to do a level cap increase that would not require new gear.

Make Rear admiral lower and upper 10 levels each. mark gear is based on rank and not level.

It always seemed a waste to have mk x gear that was only needed from level 40 - 44. That would get us more points for the skill tree without ranking us beyond vice admiral at 60.
  • whitewinged7whitewinged7 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    You know there is a way to do a level cap increase that would not require new gear.

Make Rear admiral lower and upper 10 levels each. mark gear is based on rank and not level.

It always seemed a waste to have mk x gear that was only needed from level 40 - 44. That would get us more points for the skill tree without ranking us beyond vice admiral at 60.

So what do you suggest then. Do we really just sit here forever because people would get upset that eventually their $50.00 got used up. Does everyone freak out when the $50.00 in gas they spent evaporates inside your engine over time?

Im not saying they are wrong to be a little grumpy maybe be able to trash the old ship and start rebuilding a new one and grind for mats? IDK but can we really justify staying at 50 forever just because someone wants the $50.00 to last forever? Is that fair to the rest of us who want to move up and on?

Idk its a tricky topic because like I said so many people think that digital items should last forever. If indeed they have been at 50 for 3 years shouldnt it be entirely possible to get the next tier of stuff easily?

I for one think its time for the next step.
  • mercenary4hiremercenary4hire Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm all for a level cap increase but 14 console ships are going to be overkill and would require rebalancing the entire game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    At Level 100 our captains should become part of the Q Continuum complete with the following abilities:

- Teleport - Teleport anywhere in the known Trek Universe
    - Transform - Temporarily turn players, objects, and NPC's into other things
    - Summon - Summon any any being you want to fight on your behalf (because let's face it, why should a Q dirty their hands? It's unthinkable.)

And the best part for the devs is that they only have to make a single animation for all of these: a snap of the fingers.

Make it so.
    edited February 2014
    At Level 100 our captains should become part of the Q Continuum complete with the following abilities:

- Summon - Summon any any being you want to fight on your behalf (because let's face it, why should a Q dirty their hands? It's unthinkable.)

And the best part for the devs is that they only have to make a single animation for all of these: a snap of the fingers.

Make it so.

Obviously this is a joke however....

If once a month a player won a lottery or was randomly chosen via the in game Q to BE a Q much like Riker was and had all of these abilities.

Technically it would simulate what Picard and Janeway had to deal with when Q constantly interupted them and the mission.
    edited February 2014

Make it so.

lol TRIBBLE it

level 100

- I win - the i win button triggering this skill kills all npcs on the map and blows up all ships. in pvp triggering this skill will kill all foe players.
    edited February 2014
    No I'm saying raise the level cap to 60 and make lower and upper half full ranks. everyone gets to level up again and we all get to keep our gear.

I also don't think that everything will have to be replaced. When fleet level ships came out all existing lockbox ships got retrofitted with an extra console slot and stats. (5 bullet points over the UI subheading)

If they raise the level cap and don't retrofit at minimum the fleet gear that would kill fleet holdings. That would kill the grind. I'm not worried because they have motives not to squash that. I know they have talked about us having a use for all those ships in drydock.

We already know we are getting an expansion this year. I do not thing it is a new faction. I do think we are at the point of a level cap increase. Expanding lower and upper half makes sense.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Again divorce ranks from level. Lvl 60 should still be a captain.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rpuma83rpuma83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    Wanna buy all your ships over and over gain, complete with gear ? :P

Yes I have no issue with that. It gives me more to strive towards. This is common place in most mmo's when the level cap is increased.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Game doesn't need t6 ships with 11 or 12 consoles...you don't see any other mmo give more gear slots to character when they level up do you? No, they get new more powerful gear...which means XIII, XIV, and maybe XV gear.

Grinding out new gear would be time consuming, but lets face it.....it would be cheaper than making all t5 c-store and fleet ships obsolete.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited February 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Game doesn't need t6 ships with 11 or 12 consoles...you don't see any other mmo give more gear slots to character when they level up do you? No, they get new more powerful gear...which means XIII, XIV, and maybe XV gear.

Grinding out new gear would be time consuming, but lets face it.....it would be cheaper than making all t5 c-store and fleet ships obsolete.

Thank you! my point exactly. I do agree we dont need more slots ect the game is already to easy with the current amount of choices we have. Contain our supply of powers and make the enemy smarter harder and in more numbers across the board.

You never saw Picard or Janeway faceroll through a fleet of klingons or borg lol ok maybe janeway but, that was voyager it was invincible
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thank you! my point exactly. I do agree we dont need more slots ect the game is already to easy with the current amount of choices we have. Contain our supply of powers and make the enemy smarter harder and in more numbers across the board.

You never saw Picard or Janeway faceroll through a fleet of klingons or borg lol ok maybe janeway but, that was voyager it was invincible
    The reason we grind through all the Rep systems and STFs to get the best gear is precisely so that we can blow through the foes with ease. If you wish to make the foes harder simply slot common White gear rather then set-based Purples. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    why do people think a level cap rise will actually help the game or them as a player? :eek:
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    why do people think a level cap rise will actually help the game or them as a player? :eek:
    I think the general idea is that a level increase comes with a big Mission Content increase to gain all those new levels.

Since it appears that the new Expansion Pack is not a Faction, but rather will be a Delta Quadrant expansion, it would seem we are getting some new Mission Content - I assume around 20-30 new Missions. So we do not need a level increase. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    No I'm saying raise the level cap to 60 and make lower and upper half full ranks. everyone gets to level up again and we all get to keep our gear.

I also don't think that everything will have to be replaced. When fleet level ships came out all existing lockbox ships got retrofitted with an extra console slot and stats. (5 bullet points over the UI subheading)

If they raise the level cap and don't retrofit at minimum the fleet gear that would kill fleet holdings. That would kill the grind. I'm not worried because they have motives not to squash that. I know they have talked about us having a use for all those ships in drydock.

We already know we are getting an expansion this year. I do not thing it is a new faction. I do think we are at the point of a level cap increase. Expanding lower and upper half makes sense.

If they raise it to 60, the you'll just be asking them to raise it to 70 a few months later.

Some people just don't get it.
    edited February 2014
    Ok But they have talked about the ship away team on a few occasions. That was usually talked about with a level cap increase.
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    If they raise it to 60, the you'll just be asking them to raise it to 70 a few months later.

Some people just don't get it.

There is nothing wrong with asking. It wouldn't be the first level cap increase. if you want we can go back to level 55 with mk x gear.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, I don't want this. I oppose vertical expansion in general, and vertical expansion at this point in STO would alienate a massive portion of the player base.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    No. Focus on producing more and better end game activities. Raising the level cap just adds a few more days before people end up doing that suff anyways.

I've never understood these people who whine about the current level cap. Adding more levels is about the worst thing you could add to this game at this point.

Indeed, there is little point to a level cap increase. Once you're at level 50 then your advancement is in the reps. I have three toons I'm playing right now, a KDF(Tac) and Rom(Tac) and a Fed(Eng).... the KDF is 50, T5 on all reps... same with the Rom(tac), Fed(Eng) is 50 with T4 Dyson, and T3 in Rom/Omega/Nukara. It frankly takes longer to advance in rep to T5 once you hit level 50 than it does to get there in the first place. Adding additional levels does nothing but add a day or more of game play before repping again. It's pointless. We have Borg melting lvl50 10 console ships now.... do we really need 11,12,13 consoles? My vote is no, with you.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They should divorce levels with Rank. Do a patch and make everyone Captains again. Heck right after tutorial you should be Captain anyway.

For Klingon faction, your Captain already when you killed the previous one.

And for Fed... your an ensign who gets a field commission to Lt and once your back at Earth Space Dock you get to keep ship and stay a Lt? I didnt know Lts can command a ship. If the Brass wanted you to keep the ship as Captain then they should of given you another promotion to Captain.

As for Romulans... I dont understand why your captain/Centurion... I mean the story is clearly driven by Tovan. He's captain in all but name :)

Maybe only Guild Leaders could probably have a title that is Admiral/Vice Admiral if SB5. But that would be a social title only...

If they do raise the lvl limit, new skills will be needed.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok, at level 50 we get command of the most powerful ships in the game.

Let's leave that aspect of things where it is.

However, this doesn;t mean there isn't room for progression, just in other areas.

What if, after level 50, a character had to select their final posting.

I never played CO, but something along the lines of the lairs I've heard of from there.

Give players a choice of final postings: shipyard, science lab, diplomatic post, academy office, colonial outpost......basically a small map.

Now, build a bunch of decorations and services for it. Banks, tailors, all manner of pots, plants and goldfish bowls. That sort of thing.

Then have an ingame store that sells them all. I'd suggest that it allows you to convert all manner of marks into its own unique cash.

Gate some services behind levels, have to get to level 55 before you get a bank, 60 before you get an exchange.

At the highest levels of whatever system is in place it might also be able to buy a shop that approximates some of the services of a low tier fleet base.

It would give higher level characters something to do, that does not effect current ingame balance, while also giving those who insist on going fleetless a small measure of relief.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Give players a choice of final postings: shipyard, science lab, diplomatic post, academy office, colonial outpost......basically a small map.

Now, build a bunch of decorations and services for it. Banks, tailors, all manner of pots, plants and goldfish bowls. That sort of thing.

This could be cool, although they could add option to decorate more things in our ships, ability to make unique interiors.

Also, I would like that they give us option what will our maximum rank be. For example I want to be Captain, and I want other npc-s to call me that way, not admiral. Can this be done?

As someone mentioned earlier,we can progress higher levels without getting new ranks, it would be bad if get promoted even higher as it is same year in the game.

Higher level could mean that there will be new tear of captains skills so maybe we will have to wait for skill tree revamp that was mentioned.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    They should divorce levels with Rank. Do a patch and make everyone Captains again. Heck right after tutorial you should be Captain anyway.

For Klingon faction, your Captain already when you killed the previous one.

And for Fed... your an ensign who gets a field commission to Lt and once your back at Earth Space Dock you get to keep ship and stay a Lt? I didnt know Lts can command a ship. If the Brass wanted you to keep the ship as Captain then they should of given you another promotion to Captain.

As for Romulans... I dont understand why your captain/Centurion... I mean the story is clearly driven by Tovan. He's captain in all but name :)

Maybe only Guild Leaders could probably have a title that is Admiral/Vice Admiral if SB5. But that would be a social title only...

If they do raise the lvl limit, new skills will be needed.

Technically any commissioned line officer can command a ship. In the present USN for example most Commanding Officers aboard Submarines, Destroyers and Fridates have Commander Rank, Patrol Vessels tend to be commanded by Lieutenant Commander and Lieutenat ranked persons. LCAC's and Tugs are generally commanded by enlisted personnel (usually Master or Senior Chief Petty Officers)

When an officer is in command of a ship, they are addressed as "Captain" regardless of their actual rank. "Captain" is both a navy rank and a navy title.... the two aren't always the same.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »

And anger a bunch of people as a result. Some of us don't want to be just a Captain, but Admiral Bada**.

Being able to choose your rank and have npcs refer to it would be good. Also, it should not be limited to the regular ranks, but include ranks like Master Chef, Ambassador, etc. After all, if I am a Ambadassador, then I should be an Ambassador just like Ambadassador Worf.
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I think the general idea is that a level increase comes with a big Mission Content increase to gain all those new levels.

Since it appears that the new Expansion Pack is not a Faction, but rather will be a Delta Quadrant expansion, it would seem we are getting some new Mission Content - I assume around 20-30 new Missions. So we do not need a level increase. :)

session 9 is not the expansion. the details on that are not even known yet other then its due late this year.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Please just 10 more levels no more for Fleet Admiral.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • andihraveyandihravey Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been playing this game for over a year, got to level 50 within 3 weeks (due to me going out to work). I then grinded like made to get all purple consoles (simply because there was nothing else to do) fleet consoles came out, got miself a fleet and grinded for them, rep systems came out, grinded for all of that and then the consoles and stuff it comes with. The face is this game seems to be more about grinding than anything else. and to be honest it sucks.

I would love the rank to be increased to 60. to be honest its never gonna happen. They have had numerous opportunitys. When nimbus came out, they could have increased it to 55. Yea it wouldnt be much, but it would be a step in the right direction. These featured episodes, they could have put them all together and built the next rank increase into the rep system as a bit of a change, and that would have brought us up to 60.

The fact is by the time this happens, most of us will have left the game because we are that bored with the same stuff every day. there's only things that are keeping me coming back to this game, and that is my fleet mates, and the fact its star trek.
  • chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I support this idea. I think after 4 years its time to move on. remember when we only had rear admiral and moved up to vice admiral later on? we all go tover it and have fun flying the vice admiral stuff. I can think of a way that it would not make our ships useless as we rank up. like the fleet system and ranking that up, make like doff missions to upgrade your ships. shields, deflector, engine, console slots, weapon slots, boff slots, as you level you can customize your ship and loadout to your needs. perhaps as you get higher in tiers you can unlock more boff slots so to have a 6 or a 7 boff ship. its about wht you'd expect as you level up. at lvl 90 grant a skill to call in 2 ships from your roster as support. crews and equipment needed on the ships or they warp in as immobile. upon reaching level 90 undergo a mission to equip these ships and designate a intern-captain. or even could do away with the shill and just have 3 ships toghther at all times (would make sense as at that point your a fleet admiral 5 pip).

these are my ideas how this could work. feel free to add or edit as anyone see's fit. This is one new mechanic I really look forward to seeing in the future and think could sirously invigorate this game.
  • ukkorbyukkorby Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What good is a Admiral if you cant promote your bridge officers beyond Commander, this set-up does not bode well with the Star Trek theme