test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What are your thoughts on the end of the daily events calendar?

Comments

• Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I think the weekend events are great....BUT...the removal of any reason to bother showing up the rest of the time was not so great. Now you can't really do much during the times when those events AREN'T on. And since next week is the last event, and there are no more on the calendar, it seems we won't have anything worth doing for awhile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I think the weekend events are great....BUT...the removal of any reason to bother showing up the rest of the time was not so great. Now you can't really do much during the times when those events AREN'T on. And since next week is the last event, and there are no more on the calendar, it seems we won't have anything worth doing for awhile.

how can you say there is nothing to do, you can still play all the stuff you play when the bonus is active, it dosent all disappear the moment the bonuses do, see my last comment.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014

why should you need incentive to play a game you like?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Why not have weekend events that award consumables that give say 2 hour EC, Dil, Fleet marks, Commendation boosters that the player can then activate and use when they want too and have the time to play. It would generate the traffic on the weekends they are wanting as people and getting on to grab up as many boosters as they can. Then they would be free to use them when they want. Put it in the players hands vs making us log in at a particular time and date to get the rewards we want.

so we play at weekends but we don't get bonuses instead we get awarded consumables that we can use to earn bonus marks at a later time?

eeeeer no!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    why should you need incentive to play a game you like?

that's what ive been saying all along.

its just people choose not to listen.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    how can you say there is nothing to do, you can still play all the stuff you play when the bonus is active, it dosent all disappear the moment the bonuses do, see my last comment.
    Even a monkey does not fall for this one. Equal pay for equal work, or the monkeys go on strike. Surely you are not implying that a monkey is smarter than you, here.

I see no reason why I should do the same work for inferior pay if I can just wait for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Really??

STFs.... still working
    FEs... still working
    Missions.. still working
    Replays... still working
    Alts... still need leveling and useable

Okay then, I give up, what EXACTLY locks out when the events are not up? As my game still works 100% from what I can see
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Even a monkey does not fall for this one. Equal pay for equal work, or the monkeys go on strike. Surely you are not implying that a monkey is smarter than you, here.

well have a banana and get back to work.

• Options
    artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    scruffi wrote: »
    Agreed, I work 24 hours over every weekend and generally the beginning and end of every week meaning I can't participate either.

In reality a game that profits mainly from employed adults should cater its rewards to employed adults, meaning fairly distributed events.

Kids and people with 24/7 to do whatever they want are the only benefactors, because they can grind events solidly and achieve more to aquire the EC and Dil to aquire the Zen and C-Store items that the working portion of the playerbase provide.

I work 40h a week, full-time.

Please do not tell me this change doesn't serve adults.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    STFs.... still working
    Your paycheck is heavily penalized if you jump the gun. If you want to be penalized because you're too impatient, well, that's your loss. But even a monkey knows better than to do the same work for less pay. Even if I were enough of a sucker, most of that content barely moves now that everyone has to wait or be punished for it.
    FEs... still working
    FE Replay is not on. No benefits to be had from wasting your time with this now.
    Missions.. still working
    I never liked that TRIBBLE the first time, there is nothing I want out of them...and there never was.
    Replays... still working
    Replays is not on right now, so no, it is NOT working.
    I have 32. No shortage of alts. All 50.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Really??

STFs.... still working
    FEs... still working
    Missions.. still working
    Replays... still working

Okay then, I give up, what EXACTLY locks out when the events are not up? As my game still works 100% from what I can see

ditto! glad someone can see that.

• Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The bonus mark event before never really gave enough bomus marks that missing it would cause you problems.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This. I work 40 hours a week. My work times are rarely consistent. I rarely have a Saturday or Sunday off. Yet, I still find time to waltz over to my computer, and play a few rounds of STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    The bonus mark event before never really gave enough bomus marks that missing it would cause you problems.
    Failing the bonus mark event carries the same penalty as failing the optional. Playing without it is the same thing as playing STFs where the optional always fails. Most would consider being unable to achieve the optional to be a sign of serious failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Failing the bonus mark event carries the same penalty as failing the optional. Playing without it is the same thing as playing STFs where the optional always fails. Most would consider being unable to achieve the optional to be a sign of serious failure.
    Which isn't a big deal. I still go for them but I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum if they are missed.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I work 60 hrs a week and often work overtime after that, this incudes days nights weekends bank holidays even Christmas day, im also married with a family, I still find plenty of time to play.
    like this week I worked 3 day shifts 3 night shifts im off today but start two 12hr day shifts tomorrow overtime that will go strait into 3 more 12 hr days regular shifts.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    This. I work 40 hours a week. My work times are rarely consistent. I rarely have a Saturday or Sunday off. Yet, I still find time to waltz over to my computer, and play a few rounds of STO.
    I work 60 hrs a week this incudes days nights weekends bank holidays even Christmas day, im also married with a family, I still find plenty of time to play.

Exactly. These guys know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

FE Replay is not on. No benefits to be had from wasting your time with this now.

I never liked that TRIBBLE the first time, there is nothing I want out of them...and there never was.

The lack of rewards from replays, exploration and foundry mission is a general (and IMO fundamental) design flaw of this game and not really connected to the removal of the hourly events.

I feel this discussion gets a little out of hands, the question was not "Is the game finally and utterly broken because of the removal" the question is if this is a bad thing.

My impression from reading the posts here is:

A. There is a large group of people who plays along just like before (I'm admiralty one of those)...

B. ...and there is a large group of people that doesn't and they state they hardly log in any more.

So if the change causes A PART of the community to not play the game any more I'd say its a bad change, no matter how little effect it had on the other part. Those can not expect that group B stops complaining because group A does not care.

The only question left is if the benefits Cryptic gets from the change (or just sees in those) outway the "price" of alienating or even loosing those players. And my impression is that Cryptics maths on that kind of issue always were.... questionable to say it polite....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My personal opinion is that there should be some sort of daily random events. Whether that's the same events as before I dont think is needed.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the removal of the Bonus Fleet Mark events, which I used, was a mistake. Knowing that I could earn a small amount of extra marks made grinding them out easier and made me log in daily.

Now I'm not logging in nearly as much.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The lack of rewards from replays, exploration and foundry mission is a general (and IMO fundamental) design flaw of this game and not really connected to the removal of the hourly events.

One word disproves this entire statement:

Vault
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    One word disproves this entire statement:

Vault

And how would it do that? I'm really curious.
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My impression from reading the posts here is:

A. There is a large group of people who plays along just like before (I'm admiralty one of those)...

B. ...and there is a large group of people that doesn't and they state they hardly log in any more.

So if the change causes A PART of the community to not play the game any more I'd say its a bad change, no matter how little effect it had on the other part. Those can not expect that group B stops complaining because group A does not care.

I somehow doubt, though, if these people wouldn't have stopped logging in regularly anyway, either with a different reason or without a specific one.

Reading the comments, it seems many people stopped enjoying the game's content on its own merits anyway; in the long term there's no amount of trickery that can keep people in a game they no longer enjoy. I've definitely noticed a lot less people being online frequently in my fleet, but I know that wasn't caused by the change to event structures - it might've speeded up the process, but it's certainly not the main cause...

*shrug*

I suspect the changes in design philosophy in the past seasons are catching up with the older regulars, causing them to lose interest. I also think new people have been drawn to the game to compensate - I'm not saying the game is doomed at all. I just think we'll start seeing some different population dynamics; as far as Cryptic's concerned this is probably not a major problem, as the vets have already spent their money, while new people don't have everything yet.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Your paycheck is heavily penalized if you jump the gun. If you want to be penalized because you're too impatient, well, that's your loss. But even a monkey knows better than to do the same work for less pay. Even if I were enough of a sucker, most of that content barely moves now that everyone has to wait or be punished for it.

I have 32. No shortage of alts. All 50.

Paycheck ?? Is Cryptic supposed to pay me, to sit at my personal computer playing video games?

So, as there is no benefit to FEs and mission replays, I take it no one has the full 3 piece set from the Dyson mission.. after all, no point playing it over and over for the deflector, engines and shield.

Same goes for other missions that give sets or weapons... I take it those rewards are locked out until a "bonus" event is on???

You're talking rubbish, this is a game not a job, if you no longer see it as a way to relax and have fun, you need to stop playing and go do something else.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that there should be some sort of daily random events. Whether that's the same events as before I dont think is needed.

so your answer to dropping the hourly events in favour of the every other weekend event is to have a 24/7 365 days random event?

that would take away any challenge the game has to offer.
    that's what people seem to lack the most, its a challenge to get whatever we need even when there are no bonuses, if you have bonuses all the time it would cease to be a bonus anymore.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    And how would it do that? I'm really curious.

Well it doesn't disprove the parts that aren't associated it, but Vault had dismal rewards for completion.

However, it was played regularly when the Reman set was procured via the same content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think this is really sad, that the only thing you get from playing the game if how much you can gain in whatever points you are after.
    whats so wrong with just playing the game for the fun of it?
    and so what if you play a particular thing for say fleet marks, so what you only got single fleet marks instead of 50 or 100 per cent extra, so you stamp your feet and say no point in playing, now you never even got the single marks.
    if you were that desperate for the marks single marks is better then no marks at all so where is the logic in that?

when I play all I care about is having fun, if I play and earn some stuff for the fleet or my rep that's great, if I get bonus marks even better, but that's just secondary the main part is im having fun, if im not having fun then I would not care how many gazillion extra marks im earning there would be no point in playing at all.

Because there's nothing new. You can only run so many missions so many times until it's just plain boring. Even the Featured Episodes have to be re ran to get all the stuff. The game is stale, and long time players are bored.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    so your answer to dropping the hourly events in favour of the every other weekend event is to have a 24/7 365 days random event?

that would take away any challenge the game has to offer.
    that's what people seem to lack the most, its a challenge to get whatever we need even when there are no bonuses, if you have bonuses all the time it would cease to be a bonus anymore.
    No. I said some events. Doesn't need to be the same events (even more than one in the same day) that were hourly events. In fact, it probably shouldn't be. The weekend events are fine by me the way they are. It would just be nice to have something to make the game a bit more dynamic during the day.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Because there's nothing new. You can only run so many missions so many times until it's just plain boring. Even the Featured Episodes have to be re ran to get all the stuff. The game is stale, and long time players are bored.

well I have done all of that and again and again and hope to do it all again and again for a long time to come and I am never bored at all in fact I often find I have a problem fitting in all the stuff I want to do and have to leave some stuff for another time.

you would have hated games like packman, space invaders, donky kong and frogger.
    lucky the players in those days didn't think that way or the games industry would have not made it off the ground and would never have evolved into the games we play today.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    you would have hated games like packman, space invaders, donky kong and frogger.
    lucky the players in those days didn't think that way or the games industry would have not made it off the ground and would never have evolved into the games we play today.

That's an excellent point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]