test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What are your thoughts on the end of the daily events calendar?

newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
In just over 12 hours the daily events, bonus hours, etc will disappear to be replaced by something else which has daily missions in your tab and weekly or weekend long special bonus events.

Frankly I think that almost all the events except mirror and the 3 hr bonus time were useless, but I did like being able to look at the calender and see when the next 3 hour Window was coming around.

Now many of these will be replaced with dailies and cryptic may sell tokens to reset your timers as Al Rivera confirmed in the last podcast, but my only concern is for some of the less popular mission I knew would be busy during the bonus hour. I am worried that without that daily set time some of those less popular missions will never get enough people to get started. If you play kdf, you will know what this is like, try getting a colony invasion going outside of the set bonus hours - good luck with that.

Other than those concerns I don't think I will miss it too much.

Thoughts?
Post edited by newromulan1 on

Comments

• Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I never cared for someone else's schedule dictating when or how I should play, so this has no impact on me.

*shrug*
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I never cared for someone else's schedule dictating when or how I should play, so this has no impact on me.

*shrug*

I'm with you on the schedule thing. I'm still more concerned about what will happen as an alternative to the regular events. I would rather have a calendar with known event times than a once in a while weekend event that pops up. The needs of those resources is a daily thing not a monthly or once in a while thing.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If things like mirror and fleet mark bonus become dailies you can do any time, that would be great.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thing is you could run all the rep events and rack up a bonus. if they limit this to one or two events then it will be highly restrictive beyond what we have now (pre 8.5)
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the daily calendar and I'm going to miss it. I usually just do FM missions during the FM bonus hours. I also like the Tour the Galaxy and the Academy Event. I know a lot of people also did the Mirror Event to great effect.

I'd hoped that they'd eventually add a Defera Invasion Bonus Event to get more people playing these missions all at once (more people means more fun).

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to see.

I heard that Tour the Galaxy will be a daily event, which I can appreciate. I have 2 alts with Borg engines, and I use those 2 as my "money" alts.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let's see... I don't give a TRIBBLE... and I don't give a TRIBBLE. There. Although the Marks events are cool.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let's see... I don't give a TRIBBLE... and I don't give a TRIBBLE. There. Although the Marks events are cool.
    Yeah that. I was always like "Marks event is at 3? I'm not playing then..."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    demonwolf1975demonwolf1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is totally bad not all of us can get on on the weekend's do to aahhhh having to work on the weekends so the only time we can join in on the event is if we take the weekends off this ends up with us make lese money to pay bills and Ooo new toys STO comes out with and after looking at the calendar this well not be a weekend event but a bi-weekend event and sucks even more Hay cryptic go back to how it was before thar was nothing woing with it
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I only play during the week, so for me personally this is a disaster. Think they would have been better off by keeping the more popular events and using the weekends to promote some of the others. [/imho]
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hate!.............
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    warpcore#6887 warpcore Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really miss the daily events... It was a favourite part of STO to me as it made me diverse my play and think about and 'DO' more.....

Weekend events could of just been added as special weekend events IMO

Some of us don't get to play weekends, so thanks Devs, you have just taken something away from our play

:(
    "One of the advantages of being a Captain is being able to ask for advice without necessarily having to take it."....... James T. Kirk
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,993 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I miss the hourly events, me and my fleet mates enjoyed the 2 hour bonus marks events as we could make more marks so our projects both player and fleet would run faster, this decision by cryptic could be a slight problem for fleets on their fleet project as we are losing those extra marks.

So from a fleet perspective, it could be a disaster
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      I like the old event system better. The only problem it had was some little used events like vault shuttle, path to 2409, and maybe a few others could have used merging or being replaced, but not throw the whole thing out.
      Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    • Options
      luvsto1701luvsto1701 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      My RL friend hates and I mean HATES this. She tells me each night since it happened that she is gonna quite STO over it.

Me personally I'm always doing fleet mark events for the fleet. I do miss bonus fleet mark 3 hour window a lot.

It has upset a lot of my fleet members and I've seen quite a few say "well I guess i'll log on during bonus mark event in two weeks"...

So I guess I would have to say I am not in favor of this change at all.

The Dyson weekend should have shown the devs that more people will log in when big events are going on...but the cost of this event should not be the removal of the hourly events.
    • Options
      rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      There were events?

Oh you mean that thing that added a couple marks. Eh, big deal.
      Gold.jpg
      Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
      Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
      Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    • Options
      umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      I'm not fond of the loss of hourly events. It makes the game feel a tad less dynamic and engaging to be in. I think it was a bad move to go for weekend events only.

I do think the hourly event reel needed a look over and a removal of the least popular events/turning some into dailies. But I believe removing them wholly was a bad move.
    • Options
      greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      The hourly events didn't overly affect my game play previously. Only ones I really cared about was the marks and Tour the Galaxy. Tour the Galaxy is a daily now, but with the changes feels a bit less fun.

The marks event never really influenced my gameplay enough that I miss it being gone (as in, if the only time I was playing was between the different events it never stopped me from doing things) but at the same time, it's kind of a downer that it is.

Largely this is due to the fact that there's no longer the "Wonder what is happening today?" feeling you can get from checking the calendar to see if there was anything you wanted to do in the hourly events.
    • Options
      doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      The mystery of whether anything you wanted to do today would coincide with an appropriate time to do it while you were available has now been replaced by the certainty that you have absolutely nothing you can do for the next N weeks.

And then what? We have dilithium event and marks event, the only things you'd possibly care about. Now that we've seen those, what's next? Metaphasic Weekend? Crafting Weekend? Blaaaargh. Weeks that are certainly not worth attending...
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      maoguinmaoguin Member Posts: 40 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      I don't mind no more "hourly events", but would have been nice if they had made each one a day like FM day, mirror day etc.. the every other weekend thing tho pretty much bites
    • Options
      toutsuutoutsuu Member Posts: 15 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      Ya why is it every other "weekend"? Cause if you look at it the only days not included are Tuesday and wednesday so there shouldn't be ppl complaining that they can't participate because they are busy on sat and sunday.
    • Options
      twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      My use of the Daily Events calender went like this.;

"Why are there so many people here at the dilithium mine/ the Academy/ Club 47?"

*click*

Other than that I never looked at it.
      <3
    • Options
      revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      The event calender was IMO one of those (many many many) things in this game that were a good idea and badly executed.
      It was full of useless events (time to craft), events that didn't really fit into that (foundry events.... So we had to pick a foundry mission that would be resolved in 1 hour to fit the event calender? Or wait a day to turn it in? Not much sense here...) and to generic (mark event).

Mirror and tour of the universe should have stayed, obviously. That academy event... Well no idea of anybody did that, I didn't like it... But if people liked it it should have stayed too.

Other then that the hourly events should have promoted particular content. Not generally "reputation marks" , more like "nukara prime event" or "contestand zone event" ect to fill up those particular zones.
    • Options
      lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
      edited February 2014
      toutsuu wrote: »
      Ya why is it every other "weekend"? Cause if you look at it the only days not included are Tuesday and wednesday so there shouldn't be ppl complaining that they can't participate because they are busy on sat and sunday.

Unfortunately, some of us can only play during weekdays. It's actually rare for me to be able to play on weekends. The death of the calendar affected me.
    • Options
      pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      I believe so; last night most of my fleet ( Jupiter Force) were in ts playing other games,i myself re-subbed back to Tor just for something to do.
      Its pointless to log into Sto now for a handful of marks when thousands are needed for fleet bases and all the shinies that we want from them.

This is not a rant,more of an observation.

I'm in game as i type this and every channel bar one is dead apart from the conversation i just started on this very subject .

So by removing the hourlies less people are logging on as there is no incentive,weren't they put ingame to get people together in the first place ?

Surely less people is worse for cryptic ? We had no weekend event this weekend just gone and i logged in for 35 mins the whole weekend just to refine dil.

I really just don't get how the metrics from the hourlies showed this is the way to go,no doubt someone more clever than me will show me the maths for this ,imho the only thing needed was to remove the crafting and extra sample event,maybe the academy event as well.

I spent 20 euro this weekend on SWTor and bought premium account for BF4 ,how many others have spent money on other games since the hourlies went "poof" ?

My opinion,mine alone,is that the removal of the hourlies is a bad bad thing.

I'm interested as to what others may think.
      The player formerly known as Chunter.
    • Options
      erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      You are the first to make this kind of topic ! Or not.

Anyway, as I said before, I really like the WE event, over the hourly events. I always missed them, and some of them happened very late in the morning (5am for MU). While most of them were useless.
      Now, I log in during the WE event, because of the event. While I didn't for the hourly events.

Your fleet will probably be there this WE a lot more than during the weeks before.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      I don't think it is a bad thing. For me personally i found it far more frustrating to find out that "fun" event were scheduled in the middle of the night or when i had to work.

The weekend roster and turning hourlies into dailies gives me the chance to do those events which i previously never got around to.

One thing though is that when PWE goes weekend event then they should have an event EVERY weekend and not just once in a blue moon.
      This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    • Options
      thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      questerius wrote: »
      I don't think it is a bad thing. For me personally i found it far more frustrating to find out that "fun" event were scheduled in the middle of the night or when i had to work.

Same here ... when they introduced the "Hourly Events" with F2P, and got rid of STF-Wednesday I was pretty annoyed (don't like the concept of being forced to "get it done" in 1-3h ... caught myself rushing through Foundries, to read the Dialog afterwards i.E.)

-> although, the current Events should be more frequent ... imho
      Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    • Options
      artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      The change to the hourly events is beneficial to me personally.

I work throughout the week and schedule commitments in the evening. The weekends are the only time I have to advance my STO efforts.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
    • Options
      jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      The hourly bonuses were pretty nice, but there were so many of the hourly events that just weren't interesting or worth the effort as far as my playing goes. As with Questerius, I found myself seeing that the "good stuff" was scheduled after my bedtime, or even more frustratingly, within three minutes of ending right whenI logged in.

I've only experienced one weekend event so far, so I don't know if I've got enough data samples to draw a conclusion yet. I do miss the hourlies a little--but just a little.
      boldly-watched.png
    • Options
      revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2014
      I don't know why it has to be weekend event OR hourly.

But the thing is, the hourly event was deeply flawed.
      There was a lot useless TRIBBLE in there like... Time to craft (how about adding an actual crafting system first?) or that anomaly event (how about a crafting system to use those first?)

The hourly events should have stayed but they needed to be changed IMO.