test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sony Online Entertainment?s Next Game Is "Dedicated" To Star Wars Galaxies Players

daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
macronius wrote: »
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Post edited by daan2006 on

Comments

• Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Could be completely true and still mean absolutely nothing. The information there doesn't mean it's coming back.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Prolly not. EA has the sole right to making SW games for the next five years. If Sony attempts to rerelease SWG, EA could view it as a breach of contract on Disney's end. And EA is not the sort of company you want to TRIBBLE off. Most likely it's just another IP with SWG gameplay.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    Standard property protection, nothing more.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    More a case of keeping the SWG name from being used elsewhere. the game shut down a few years back and its likely the trademark time has almost ran out because it hasnt been used within a set time frame.

i doubt its to bring a new game and SOE has no further rights to the IP, so they can blow hot air as much as they like no matter what they state, it means nothing. if SWG2 was to come it would be through EAware alone.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Trademark renewals cost $400, and this one keeps a pretty straightforward name under lock and key. If EA (who has exclusive rights to Star Wars for quite a few years) wants to make anything that sounds similar (which could apply to almost anything with Star Wars and Galaxy in its title), they'll either have to buy/license the name from SOE (at a price set by SOE) or face a lawsuit.

You don't need to continue doing business under a trademark to keep a trademark. It makes it easier to enforce, but in this case, the name Star Wars Galaxies is undeniably associated in the gamer public with a single, specific game, and that's the most common test courts use on trademarks for dead products.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some context that seems to be missing:

SOE just canned another four games. To try and temper some of the pissyness that resulted, Smedley let it slip (entirely on purpose) in an AMA that they're building a game "for SWG fans". If SOE wants to use those kinds of statements, they need to retain the trademark for the title.

So no, Galaxies is staying (rightfully) dead. SOE just wants to try and direct some of the rabidity of its fanbase back in their direction, and to do that they need to have the trademark.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I entirely missed out on the SWG when it was live, but i was horribly disappointed in the SWTOR experience. I do hope that if they ARE remaking SWG, that it's a much better experience that TOR, as well as a more authentic SW feel.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I entirely missed out on the SWG when it was live, but i was horribly disappointed in the SWTOR experience. I do hope that if they ARE remaking SWG, that it's a much better experience that TOR, as well as a more authentic SW feel.

Galaxies was good for a couple of months until Sony released the CU and NGE. Then it went right down the crapper. If anyone ever remakes SWG, I'd like it to not have those expansions.

Of course, even if they released a SWG II, it'd have to be in line with JJ's trilogy, and as I said in the other thread, Episode VII is going to represent the status of the EU and it has to be good. Otherwise, I'm sticking with SWTOR. It's expensive as hell to live there, but at least I know my characters are still my characters.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well well well, looks like Sony has something new coming down the pipe, and it's focused on the EX-SWG players. (I bring one of them.) I miss the crafting of SWG, to date it's still the best system that was other there. Now if Sony can beat what SWToR has going on, it might be worth a new look. Sony needs to kick it up a few notches, and bring a new A game.

http://www.nerdacy.com/2014/01/24/sony-online-entertainments-next-game-dedicated-star-wars-galaxies-players/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_132479

Now the next question I would have is simple. Will this new MMO be set in the Star Wars 7 timeline? Might be interesting tieing this new game to the new movies. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Several huge assumptions being made here. Most notably...

1) That it's a Star Wars title.

2) That what Smedley is focusing on is anything remotely like what SWG die-hards were focused on.

3) That it's ever going to see the light of day.

SOE just pulled the plug on four different titles. Then they just conveniently announce they're going to be trying to put out a successor to one of their most polarizing and underperforming titles in company history?

Look at Smedley's actual statement. There is zero context, or any kind of detail. He's putting on a master class of how to get an entire group of people riled up by saying absolutely nothing at all.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    oh gawd Smedley at it again. Don't get me wrong I was a diehard swg player. Played for heck of along time. Would I love to see a SWG2 oh hell yeah. SWG by far, my view here, has to be one of the most epic games ever made for an mmo type. Crafting, planetary cities, ect.. the list could really go on and on.. was soo vast. But any swg player knows that after the CU, things went downhill. Not to mention the NGE oy..

Ill be keeping an eye on what goes down with this however.. it intrigues me
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I would not start preordering Collector editions yet, if I were you. EA has exclusive rights to SW games for the next 5 years and Episode VII still is barely in preproduction. Sony is just trying to regain the faith it lost after cancelling so many titles.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I read the "announcement". Sounds like vaporware to me...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well I just hope the one thing they bring back is the sandbox of SWG, that was one of the best things in the game. That and tamers before the changes that were made to nerf it.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I fail to see how this relates to STO?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I fail to see how this relates to STO?

Threads in Ten Forward don't have to be STO related.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Plus topics like this get people talking. Don't you think?

stirling191 Even if Smedley's remakes don't give any details, the fact of him saying:

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now.

That alone speaks volumes of what they are going to do. You don't tell a SWG ex-player they can come home, if it's not going to be something like what type played before, and far better of a game than we had. We lived Star Wars in the game, and a lot of us got burned early on before the game closed down. I just hope the lesson was learned, and whatever if plan is 100% better than before.
  • Options
    carpfishercarpfisher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    Well well well, looks like Sony has something new coming down the pipe, and it's focused on the EX-SWG players. (I bring one of them.) I miss the crafting of SWG, to date it's still the best system that was other there. Now if Sony can beat what SWToR has going on, it might be worth a new look. Sony needs to kick it up a few notches, and bring a new A game.

http://www.nerdacy.com/2014/01/24/sony-online-entertainments-next-game-dedicated-star-wars-galaxies-players/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_132479

Now the next question I would have is simple. Will this new MMO be set in the Star Wars 7 timeline? Might be interesting tieing this new game to the new movies. Just something to think about.

If it's a sandbox scifi MMORPG with loot and crafting quality built on continuous distributions (none of this white-green-blue-purple qualities and nothing more), with open class customization, no mission-story-mode*, customizable vehicles and starfighters with customizable reverse-engineerable components, built on matured Planetside 2 tech, sign me up.

I don't care if it's got the Star Wars IP attached to it. In some ways, I'd prefer it not to be. "Star Warsy" and "iconic" are words that still make me cringe.

*I am not the Chosen One. Your story does not make me feel like I contributed something unique, because the story isn't unique to me. Epic events, sometimes scripted, sometimes with live gamemasters; always optional and always with open participation--these things all contribute to a larger story that feels uniquely mine.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Plus topics like this get people talking. Don't you think?

stirling191 Even if Smedley's remakes don't give any details, the fact of him saying:

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now.

That alone speaks volumes of what they are going to do. You don't tell a SWG ex-player they can come home, if it's not going to be something like what type played before, and far better of a game than we had. We lived Star Wars in the game, and a lot of us got burned early on before the game closed down. I just hope the lesson was learned, and whatever if plan is 100% better than before.

Doubt it. Gaming companies will say anything to get your business and once they have it, you mean nothing to them later. I remember when Peter Molyneux promised that Fable III would be the crowning jewel of the franchise. That went over real well.

All this is is just hype. Don't get all excited. It's still SoE. This game could be nothing more than another WoW clone looking to make a quick buck. Put some brakes on this train before you end up shelling out thirty bucks for early access to a game you will regret paying.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ya already had a thread going about this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    That alone speaks volumes of what they are going to do.

Incorrect. It speaks volumes of what *you* want them to do. It says absolutely nothing about what they're actually doing.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    Trademark renewals cost $400, and this one keeps a pretty straightforward name under lock and key. If EA (who has exclusive rights to Star Wars for quite a few years) wants to make anything that sounds similar (which could apply to almost anything with Star Wars and Galaxy in its title), they'll either have to buy/license the name from SOE (at a price set by SOE) or face a lawsuit.

that trademark is held by lucasarts, not SOE. and exclusive rights to the game side is held by EA. so SOE has no involvement in the trademark whatsoever and if SOE wants to keep up its rabble rousing to the aggrovation of EA they would likely find themselves getting bashed by Disney.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Still, other than Everquest Next, SOE hasn't mentioned much, this could be good.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME IS DEDICATED TO YOU.

and yet the dedication of SWG fans meant so much they introduced and rammed through a number of highly unpopular choices at SOE that eventually the game died. i bet that same dedication to running the game to the ground was celebrated as a big success...

i dont even know this man or the game, and yet i understand a lot more of what happened then clearly this man does about the dedication of the players.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    i dont even know this man or the game, and yet i understand a lot more of what happened then clearly this man does about the dedication of the players.

I think not.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    As President of Sony Online Entertainment, Smedley oversaw the relaunch of Star Wars Galaxies in an iteration of the game known as the New Game Enhancements (or NGE). During the time period immediately after the relaunch, as subscriptions were dropping rapidly, there was much unrest on the official game forums. Smedley decided to participate in these threads in a manner most participants found antagonizing. In response to a discussion on the possibility of an emulator to recreate the game as it was before the New Game Enhancements, one such post by Smedley read: "ROFL. Ok. Without engaging in the obvious "we'll bust out our lawyers and sue people" rhetoric" .. "You don't seriously think we're worried about this do you". Since then, in an online interview with the social media site reddit in July 2012, John Smedley admitted to ?stupid decisions? regarding Star Wars Galaxies Combat Upgrade and New Gaming Enhancement policies, and acknowledged player led emulator projects seeking to restore a free to play Galaxies circa April 2005, Publish 14.1, pre-Combat Upgrade, such as the SWGEmu project.

I think he would know everything about those things. In any case, I was there in that AMA, and he seemed genuinely apologetic for what occurred, let's let bygones be bygones and see what comes of this at least?

There's always time for torches and pitchforks later, good things do come to those who wait.......
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think not.

I think he would know everything about those things. In any case, I was there in that AMA, and he seemed genuinely apologetic for what occurred, let's let bygones be bygones and see what comes of this at least?

There's always time for torches and pitchforks later, good things do come to those who wait.......

saying he could know everything and just being a token valve without actually looking at the context is one thing im thinking. the problem is we dont know his mindset and frankly this play for a media spot leaves me very suspicious of his motives.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    saying he could know everything and just being a token valve without actually looking at the context is one thing im thinking. the problem is we dont know his mindset and frankly this play for a media spot leaves me very suspicious of his motives.

Like I said, I was there in the AMA and he seemed genuinely apologetic. Course I can't guarantee someone's feelings over the internet, but I prefer to think that people have a conscience. Wouldn't you agree~?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Like I said, I was there in the AMA and he seemed genuinely apologetic. Course I can't guarantee someone's feelings over the internet, but I prefer to think that people have a conscience. Wouldn't you agree~?

define the role of a conscience! we humans are greedy creatures and opportunistic as well as ambitious unless you think these traits dont exist in our psychology. i maybe overplaying the angle but i have seen these music stars on mags and papers doing too much exposure, everyone else says its enough and these "stars" continue to do it anyways, because it increases their exposure and gets them money from it. in a similar fashion this man could be using that angle to boost SOE's potential business earnings just by linking the SWG name as a known weakness for the fans.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

So was Chris Metzen about focusing Cataclysm on Thrall.

And former EA CEO John Riccitello about Sim City.

And Peter Molyneux on Fable II.

And NCsoft on City of Heroes.

Honestly, if you really believe game companies are sorry, I got a mining operation on the outskirts of Paradas V you'd just LOVE to invest in.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Honestly, if you really believe game companies are sorry, I got a mining operation on the outskirts of Paradas V you'd just LOVE to invest in.

lmao this so true :) this post just made my day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead