test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Blog: Ships - From Start to Finish

Comments

• pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Even better than a bridge pack would be a system that provides a parts-appropriate MSD.

That'll probably take a long while though, but if what we've heard of interiors getting worked on eventually is true, that would be a delicious blueberry atop the sundae.

Then bridge visitors can peek around engineering and go "That's supposed to be a phaser bank! Why is there a fat strip of torpedoes on the upper saucer?"
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited January 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    You see .... This is what I'm wonder as well .... as the ship can't function without the abilitity.

Basically, it would be like the fleet veteran ship which has a console ... if that console were also built in (which it's not) .... it would also have 9 console slots on the fleet version ... because the transformation is a power / ability.

If its not a console on the new ship .... then there likely will be no other fleet version ... although I bet you will later be able to procure it via a fleet store like the Odyssey and BortaS.

Hoping that's the case. The hinge is if the transformation is a console or not.

Since the anniversary ship comes with a Dyson secondary deflector array maybe that is where the transform ability comes from?
    Thus allowing it to be used without consuming a console slot. :eek:

We'll know more next week with the Dev blogs, frankly if I'm able I might grind these out on my 48 characters hopefully the 2dry mission they mentioned for grinding will be better than the party patrol mission option as at the academy is normally laggy for me with everything having collision effects on all the NPCs there, but I just had back surgery this wendsday and am only now getting comfortable sitting for any length of time.

ps. and yes I did grind out 48 Breen heavy raiders during the winter event while stuck at home waiting for surgery. :P

pps kinda wondering where people get the idea of hanger pets as the ship doll shows no hanger slot or mentions any kinda pet?

pps2 :P
    wrote:
    This ship by default has a Commander Science seat and a Lt. Commander Tactical seat among its bridge officer stations. However, when the ship enters Tactical Mode, the two seats effectively switch. The Commander Science seat is downgraded to Lt. Commander Science, and the Lt. Commander Tactical is upgraded to Commander Tactical. Additionally, Tactical Mode also enables powerful Dual Heavy Proton Cannons, effectively giving the ship 4 Fore weapons and 3 Aft.
    Players that use Subspace Field Modulator for defense with its -400 Proton Damage resistance for 15 sec could mean you just killed yourself vs another player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • baratgabbaratgab Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great article. As a new player with an engineer main character I was hoping for a cruiser, but I guess creating a science oriented vessel was the right thing to do (I read that it's a long time since science captains got an event ship) - and also consistent with the dyson set's orientation.

BTW, the Romulan ship looks fantastic. I will consider starting a Romulan science captain to get it. The federation ship looks a bit too 'beetle-like' for my taste on the concept art pictures, but on the actual in-game pictures it seems nice. (EDIT: I read in a post that these ships are too 'alien'. I think that was my feeling too about the Federation ship. It seems that the Romulan/Klingon one has a more moderate 'alienness' than the Federation; but again, the in-game pictures seemed OK.)

Thanks for the new ships!
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I think these Dyson ships are ugly and I personally am disappointed that Cryptic is moving away from traditional Star Trek and making the Federation look more alien than it was canonically shown. We seen future ships like the Enterprise-J and the Relativity and they are nowhere near as alien as these Dyson ships. Besides, how could they create new ships within days of setting foot in the Dyson sphere?

I really hope we get choose to have a standard Federation/Klingon/Romulan hull with no fancy Dysonification.

Agreed 100% with 75% of your statement. Counting the 3rd sentence as a question.

Even among traditional Star Trek not a fan of the Luna look. You did it with the Avenger and it looks ugly. Looks-wise Odyssey is still the prettiest FED ship out there (though not my favorite), imo.
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just curious, and I didn't see it in the blog... Will these be available to anyone or only to those at level 50? Because if I need to level up my ROM and KDF, then I better get started soon!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You see .... This is what I'm wonder as well .... as the ship can't function without the abilitity.

Basically, it would be like the fleet veteran ship which has a console
    ... if that console were also built in (which it's not) .... it would also have 9 console slots on the fleet version ... because the transformation is a power / ability.

If its not a console on the new ship .... then there likely will be no other fleet version ... although I bet you will later be able to procure it via a fleet store like the Odyssey and BortaS.

Hoping that's the case. The hinge is if the transformation is a console or not.
    The normal vet ship has the console too, not just the fleet version.

Anyway, I think it will probably have it built-in, since there's no console in the screenshot where you see the button for the transformation. That might be because it was a test build, but it could indicate that the ability is built into the ship by design.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Just curious, and I didn't see it in the blog... Will these be available to anyone or only to those at level 50? Because if I need to level up my ROM and KDF, then I better get started soon!

CM

If it is like the past events... you will have to be level 10 to do Q's event and then he will award you a ship crate that is bound to character which you will need to get to level 50 to open the ship crate. So if this is the case you wont have to rush after level 10.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, mikefl.... hoping thats the case, but will do some leveling anyway today :)

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dat concept art... SO COOOL:cool:. I know its ALOT of work but I would've loved to see 3d models of most if not all the dyson/fed ships especially the ones resembling the Sovereign class. Could you imagine if every ship had like 8 different saucer configs :eek:
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cool ships. Too heavily dyson looking on the outside but very nice!

If I have to grind to get these ships, I'm not getting. I'm happy with my current ridiculously built fleet/borg/dyson or nukara ships right now.
    I actually disagree, if it didn't look distinctly Dyson then calling them Dyson Hybrids would be pretty inaccurate.

Being a Hybrid would entail that it looks distinctly "off" compared to a pure ship. Look at any ship that has Borg Enhancements, it starts to show Borg components, that's natural.

I am curious how these ships will look with all of the current hybrid ship sets. What will the Dyson ship model look like with a Reman shield set for instance?
    pyrogxmk3 wrote: »
    Even better than a bridge pack would be a system that provides a parts-appropriate MSD.

That'll probably take a long while though, but if what we've heard of interiors getting worked on eventually is true, that would be a delicious blueberry atop the sundae.

Then bridge visitors can peek around engineering and go "That's supposed to be a phaser bank! Why is there a fat strip of torpedoes on the upper saucer?"
    No no, bridge pack is good, but accurate MSDs would :drool.
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    ps. and yes I did grind out 48 Breen heavy raiders during the winter event while stuck at home waiting for surgery. :P
    Wow....Respect. :cool:
    Players that use Subspace Field Modulator for defense with its -400 Proton Damage resistance for 15 sec could mean you just killed yourself vs another player

I was just thinking about that the other day while looking at all my Dyson Polaric Proton cannon weaponry in my inventory.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cool ships. Too heavily dyson looking on the outside but very nice!

If I have to grind to get these ships, I'm not getting. I'm happy with my current ridiculously built fleet/borg/dyson or nukara ships right now.
    I guess this should be called a 'Grindaway' and not a 'Giveaway'.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,176 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    I guess this should be called a 'Grindaway' and not a 'Giveaway'.

As already stated by branflakes, this anniversary will not be a grindfest. On completion of the FE once, you will be rewarded with 400 free marks, leaving only 600 more to get. Q's mission on average will take no more than 3 - 5 minutes to complete where upon completion you will receive a further 40 marks, meaning it will only take 15 out of the 25 days of the event.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    As already stated by branflakes, this anniversary will not be a grindfest. On completion of the FE once, you will be rewarded with 400 free marks, leaving only 600 more to get. Q's mission on average will take no more than 3 - 5 minutes to complete where upon completion you will receive a further 40 marks, meaning it will only take 15 out of the 25 days of the event.

It honestly depends on the each player and their definition of "grind."

Keep in mind also that this is just after the Winter event which means it will seem more grinidish to many because of that.

For me, depending on whether this is a fleet level = ship will determine how many characters I get it on ... but I will be selective because of winter grind burnout.

P.S. --- > I do love the dev blog as well as the work that has gone into these ships. Just want to make sure the stats are worth the grinding effort (ie. Not a ship that will be toss away when a fleet version is released.).
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I dont mind the grind for the ship personally. Looks like a sweet ride.

Not sure if its been discussed on this thread previously, but do we know when/if other science ships will be picking up that second deflector slot? Or is it exclusive to this ship?

Right now sci ships are the weakest of the pack. 2nd Deflector could potentially change that.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,176 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It honestly depends on the each player and their definition of "grind."

Keep in mind also that this is just after the Winter event which means it will seem more grinidish to many because of that.

For me, depending on whether this is a fleet level = ship will determine how many characters I get it on ... but I will be selective because of winter grind burnout.

P.S. --- > I do love the dev blog as well as the work that has gone into these ships. Just want to make sure the stats are worth the grinding effort (ie. Not a ship that will be toss away when a fleet version is released.).

That is very true, that is why I think this has been given a less of a grindfest feel.
  • okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The ship itself looks pretty nice, I like the versitile sci/tactical concept a lot. The time-limited grind system on the other hand I don't like at all. Forcing people to return daily for a few minutes to do a mindless repetitive task isn't fun in any way, so why lock a ship behind such a system? It may be ok to do something like that when it's not offered for a limited time - so you can take a break, and return to the task when you feel up to it. But presented like this it feels more like a job than a game. The only reason I can see, would be to purposefully make the system annoying, so people will feel inclined to bend over and supplement the work with real cash - through lobis. If this ship will have the account-wide unlock for advanced version in cash shop later on, it feels pretty underhanded - so I hope that's not going to be the case.

Overall I don't mind something taking an effort to acquire within the game - on the contrary that's perfectly fine.. but when the game attempts to force itself into schedule of your life, for weeks on end, it's trying to do something a game isn't supposed to.

very good job on the ship, and the blog was very nice addition too.. but the delivery method of the ship is poor.

-- edit --
    Regarding the speculation of the 'mode switch' being a console or not, I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier on the thread (didn't read all of it), but the 'secondary deflector' on the screenshot on the blog page shows 'infinity' symbol on the tier marking, which would suggest to me that it comes along with the ship. Also the design in fed ship at least seems to suggest that switching the mode 'hides' the secondary deflector in destroyer mode. With these two together, it would be reasonable to assume the mode switch might be tied to the secondary deflector. This still doesn't really tell if the 9-console ship is 'poor man's version', or whether it's considered equal to 10-console ships, with the 10th console being replaced by the secondary deflector.

The latter is less likely though, if it's a feature intended for all sci ships in the future.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am thinking about the class names of each.
    Dyson Sience Destroyer (or like I call them Solanae Science Destroyers) .... -Class?

Any bets on that?:D

But I will sit out the grinding and buy the fleet variants later.
  • stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It better have a UNIQUE BRIDGE as well! Just cause you put a lot of effort into the exterior doesn't mean it gives you a free pass to skimp on the interior :mad:
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • zelzxezelzxe Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    those ships look awesome.
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After thinking about it for a while, I now realize the 2nd deflector effectively serves as the 10th console so I'm feeling better about the 9 regular console slots, especially if -- as another poster suggested -- we can load up something awesomesauce like the Borg deflector along with say the MACO.
  • cptrichardson12cptrichardson12 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...*Remembers that there will be a new lockbox soon.*

Uh, Devs? The next box wouldn't happen to be other Dyson ships, would it? I mean, it does seem rather like a thing to do.
  • mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited January 2014
    stolts wrote: »
    It better have a UNIQUE BRIDGE as well! Just cause you put a lot of effort into the exterior doesn't mean it gives you a free pass to skimp on the interior :mad:
    The new origin bridge is nice. What I'd like to see is a new ready room that isn't so garish.
  • angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2014
    The KDF ship looks too passive, too friendly. The head is too bulbous and lumpy, like a... Child's toy. >.> KDF designs should be really aggressive looking (like the raptor beak stylings of several of the raptors and birds of prey or hammer head stylings of the Vor'kang, K't'inga and Negh'var), or sleek (like the classic Bird of Prey).
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    As already stated by branflakes, this anniversary will not be a grindfest. On completion of the FE once, you will be rewarded with 400 free marks, leaving only 600 more to get. Q's mission on average on an underpopulated in-house test server will take no more than 3 - 5 minutes to complete where upon completion you will receive a further 40 marks, meaning it will only take 15 out of the 25 days of the event.

Reality may trump in house testing when thousand of players try to get into the limited number of Academy instances to run the Mini-Q mission, hopefully the other mission will not be at the academy also.

Grinfest maybe the wrong word but Limited-time availability to receive the ship means scheduling time to run the necessary missions on as many characters as you want the ship on before it is no longer available. though there usually is the option to spend real money and obtain the ship if say you were unable to log in for 2 weeks which has happened recently due to game glitches I believe. Honestly if the ship was available anytime during the next couple of months using the quoted criteria I don't think most people would be so annoyed by it.

like this currently randomly occurring Glitch kinda hard to run any mission when that occurs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After thinking about it for a while, I now realize the 2nd deflector effectively serves as the 10th console so I'm feeling better about the 9 regular console slots, especially if -- as another poster suggested -- we can load up something awesomesauce like the Borg deflector along with say the MACO.

That actually...
    Makes no sense.

The point of the secondary deflector idea was to give back a leg to the powers used by science vessels.

If it replaces a console, there's been no net gain.
  • okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That actually...
    Makes no sense.

The point of the secondary deflector idea was to give back a leg to the powers used by science vessels.

This is probably true, and why I'm thinking it's not a likely scenario - and the ship is in fact comparable in 'tier' to other 9-console ships. There are still unknown factors though - like, how does the secondary deflector compare to extra console slot?

Since the slot itself is named 'Secondary Deflector', and the only case we've so far seen it in, is the new set of ships, I believe it will in fact be a separate item type - and regular deflectors cannot be installed into that slot. This would be likely because deflectors were not originally planned with consideration to being able to use two at once, and so this might lead to unpredictable combinations.

This would also allow different, and potentially significantly more powerful abilities to be implemented through the secondary deflector, while ensuring that this new deflector line can also only be utilized one per ship. t's possible that a sci ship with 9 consoles and 1 secondary deflector would be more powerful than the old setup of 10 consoles without secondary deflector. This though, might still cause trouble if/when the old sci ships also get the secondary console slot.

Based on this I think if the ship is intended to be in line with 10-console ships, it's more likely that the transformation feature is built-in with the ship, thus effectively freeing a console slot like suggested earlier on the thread, and supported by the screenshots in the blog.

The only reason I see for the awkward way the ship special abilities are tied to 'universal consoles', is to sell those consoles with the ship acting as a wrapping. And that doesn't work so well with abilities that are specific to particular ship.
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That actually...
    Makes no sense.

That's wrong. A deflector usually gives you a lot more of bonusses then any console, even the fleet-consoles (SCI, ENG or now TAC) are worth much less. For example: There is an Elite Fleet Deflector that gives you a Bonus of 17.5 to targeting-system, 17.5 to maneuvers, 8.8 to eps, 8.8 to flow-caps, 8.8 to power-insulators, 17.5 to sensors and on top of that a 10% cooldown-reduction on all science-abilities.
    The results are: You can use Science abilities more frequently (heals as well as anything else), drains are stronger, EP2X is slightly stronger, you can detect cloaks a little better and Fire on my Mark/Sensor-Scan is slightly stronger, you've got slightly higher defense and bonus accuracy.

And now we take a look at your statement: "A second deflector is not worth as much as a 10th console." For the second deflector they could make it a 8 console ship - for free - , if you compare it to current Science-Ships.

There are other deflectors that would also give you some benefits, but I think the Elite Fleet is the best choice here.

EDIT: We should wait for more announcements first: If the secondary deflector is coming for all Science-Ships, then the anniversary Ship might be woth much less compared to them. We should also wait for the stats of the new Science-Destroyer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
    edited January 2014
    The normal vet ship has the console too, not just the fleet version.

Anyway, I think it will probably have it built-in, since there's no console in the screenshot where you see the button for the transformation. That might be because it was a test build, but it could indicate that the ability is built into the ship by design.

I know ... what I was doing was trying to compare these ships to a fleet level ship that has a transformation ability and 10 console slots. It's transformation is a console which takes up one of the 10 slots and leaving 9.

If these ships have the ability built in but no console for it and 9 console slots ... it equals that vet fleet ship.

If it only has 9 and the ability becomes a console .... then it does not.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    edited January 2014

Two points ...

1) It is being assumed and expected that all science ships will be upgraded to have a second deflector slot. They would be retrofitted at some point just like how Birds of Prey are supposed to get flanking. ... Not removes it as a 10th console = .... or do you want all sci ships that get them and are fleet to lose a console slot? :)

2) We are not sure yet if it will be a full deflector it takes or specifically designed "secondary deflectors" ... which if introduced would give them something new they can put into a future fleet holding .... new line of secondary deflectors. etc.

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am just thinking about the 2nd Deflector thing. IF the other Sci Vessels will get that Update too, will there be unique Deflectors available just for this Slot?

Because I don't believe we can slot 2 regular/Fleet Deflector items. Maybe those n.Ds will rather act as some kind of support/small boost.