What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If they DO increase the level cap...?

2»

Comments

• earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rpuma83 wrote: »
    I really have never understood this thinking on these forums. Almost every single MMO has expansions that increase level caps with new end game gear and new skills. Does it mean that you have to work hard again to get the top shineys and new awesomes?? Yes of course it does. But isn't that the point? To progress the game? To give players something new to do. I love the feeling of gaining levels and new skills.

I know they do that on LoTRo. And MAYBE 10 people complain about it.
    Honestly, it seems like most people that say anything about new possibilities for gear, are just whining, or lazy. Especially, as, if I remember correctly, the general thrust of the level cap raise, isn't necessarily going to bring about new (higher), marks of equipment, but more of a lateral expansion, anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    edited January 2014
    zanos64 wrote: »
    There is another option, drop the ranking system.

Next expansion/level cap:

"Congratulations, after spending so long, and working so hard in your career, we are pleased to announce your retirement. Go forth and live long and prosper".

At which point you loose access to Star Fleet/KDF items. Now you are a Privateer. Meaning you have to repaint your ship to show it's "retired status. Also you are able to buy "black market" ships and gear.
    For example a former Federation officer could in theory buy a KDF ship and equip it with Ferngie weapons. You'd also be able to mix and match interiors.
    Maybe take it one step further, you unlock a black market ship builder. Now you get to design your ship to look like anything you want, even the interior.

But that is just my thought. Forced retirement and living the life of a free lance merc/privateer. Maybe even working for section 31.

Lol, that actually wouldn't be so bad, and honestly, it's close to the way I already think of my characters, anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    That's what I've been saying all along: They should've left it at captain and not tied levels to it.

Oh, that's what you meant. :D No thanks. I got into this game to play a Starfleet captain. Oh, and since your ship is not your property, but rather the property of the Federation, why do you get to keep it?

You want to do that? There's a little thing you may have heard of called roleplaying.

Actually, in that case, you'd have to only maintain one ship (with maybe the exceptions of the anniversary ships, winter & summer ships). As why do you get to keep more than one ship in your personal dockyards, if they're Starfleet owned?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    THIS.

Horizontal expansion is a good thing. Give us a new faction (seriously, I wants a Jem'Hadar character, big-time), new enemies (GIMME SOME ICONIANS TO SHOOT PLS), and a way to ease the grind (thank you, Battlezone!). Just no vertical expansion, because that will make the players go NERDRAGE.

Skip the level cap increase, give us a Dominion faction for the big expansion. Please.

Actually, I'd rather have the level raised, and skip the Dominion faction, please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually, I'd rather have the level raised, and skip the Dominion faction, please.

Let's agree to disagree, then. Because I LOATHE vertical expansion, but I am a HUGE Dominion fan.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally I'm with star sword, never should of been promoted past captain.

Though at 50 we should be captains 60 commodore and now you control a squadron.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Raising the level cap is not a good thing.It does happen in almost every RPG, but that still does not mean it is a good thing. let's say it is a good thing, then we raise the level cap, new xp points, new skills etc. After that we have to raise the cap again and again and again ... because raising the level cap is a good thing and if we wouln't raise it we are doing a bad thing. That is not good.

Torpedo heavy yield I is a nice skill. THY II is a better skill. THY III is even better. THY IV, eh we don't have that. Yep, but we would if we raise the level cap. I hope you see this is a meaningless exercise, because it doesn't take any more skill to use THY I than to use THY III. You just have to hit a key.

If people want to level, reroll. The game is more challenging at lower levels. You have less options, so what you can do, you have to do it right.
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Let's agree to disagree, then. Because I LOATHE vertical expansion, but I am a HUGE Dominion fan.

Lol, OMG, someone actually WANTING to "agree to disagree", instead of making it a hate thread? That's rare!

You, my goodsir, are a rare find......someone who wants their opinion to be heard, but is willing to allow others' opinions as well.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    fovrel wrote: »
    Raising the level cap is not a good thing.It does happen in almost every RPG, but that still does not mean it is a good thing. let's say it is a good thing, then we raise the level cap, new xp points, new skills etc. After that we have to raise the cap again and again and again ... because raising the level cap is a good thing and if we wouln't raise it we are doing a bad thing. That is not good.

Torpedo heavy yield I is a nice skill. THY II is a better skill. THY III is even better. THY IV, eh we don't have that. Yep, but we would if we raise the level cap. I hope you see this is a meaningless exercise, because it doesn't take any more skill to use THY I than to use THY III. You just have to hit a key.

If people want to level, reroll. The game is more challenging at lower levels. You have less options, so what you can do, you have to do it right.

Why? levelling in this game, apart from tiering the reps, is a joke. Personally, I'd love to see the amount of xp it takes to gain levels, get hit with a x5 or so modifier, so that, not only do you feel like you accomplished something to gain that level, but you also get to use that lower tier ship, for a lot longer. Also be nice if they'd revamp the AI for enemies, so again, when you accomplish a mission, a sense of accomplishment accompanies it.
    Also, just because the cap get's raised, doesn't mean you have to have overpowering versions of skills, or new skills, that have the same issue. How about laterally growing? Such as, I've seen many want to be able to do something with all those ships languishing in peoples' shipyards?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there won't be T6 ships as that would render all ships people buy right now obsolete and Cryptic doesn't want to go there, yet.

LOLOL. They are already doing that with every new power-creep lockbox ship. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I see both good and bad on this.

Good - New skills, higher level bad guys to face, higher rank, and new gear.
    Bad - Ships will be obsolete, gear will be obsolete, and the big grind starts all over again.

I don't mind a new skills. They can do special missions for your character specs only to gain special skills and gear. WoW used to have this and it was fun to do those little specials.

Higher level bad guys, just make the current ones tougher for those are not challenged enough. I have a rough time on some of the higher levels now to play at. Specially since your character stats drop as you fight and die.

New gear is always good, but we have plenty of that as it is. And more is constantly added. That is no problem.

Rank, they should throw that out the door. Cause what is next Fleet Admiral, then what next? To me it better to just keep it as it is.

Ships, I don't want to see the ones I spent time and $ on go to waste. Its different if I have to kill a certain boss to get a ship/gear. However I spent real $ on ships. That is something I don't want to see get replaced just cause of a level boost.

Last thoughts, just leave it the way it is. I love not having to say, well that went all my hard work. Time to spend and grind more. Even in other MMOs that increase levels each expansion. Many was fussing about this. Cause some spent months to get that special gear or item.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is a problem, because all the sudden all that fleet gear you grinded forever for is no longer the best stuff, all your stuff, instantly rendered sub-par. Which means grinding all over again. I foresee many angry people.

One good reason to break the lv cap would be so you can earn more XP, to put towards you current skill tree. In EVE Online they just let you lv up every possible skill out there (if you're patient enough to do it). Maybe they'd need to be a bit more costly past lv 50, but, essentially, why not? Currently we de facto lv up thru a *paid extra for* reputation system.

That was the whole point of leveling up to begin with, so you'll get better skills.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No new skills or investment to be had. No skill cap increase. Instead of a skill cap increase, a choice of when hitting the new level cap, picking any one unused skill, ground or space, to be maxed out. The only requirement is to have at least five space skills maxed and two ground skills maxed. Which is easy.

Level cap does need to increase but no new tier ship. The level cap should be linked, and I know I'm going to be burned for this one, to a new Rep system. A separate system for each faction, Federation and Klingon. Sorry Romulans, but you chose a side in the war so you get whatever one you're part of and you technically already have a Rep system. It needs to be divided into ten parts, still with a 100k cap. Only one Rep mission can be run PERIOD, to keep things that cannot be said here from happening again. Earning 2500 points upon completion after 20 hours.

Expertise is used as the main component of the Rep mission as to avoid anymore grind of meaningless missions other than the normal day to day missions or doff projects any person would run. Each tier unlocks a new mission. There will be no "Ongoing Efforts" Rep missions to earn Dilithium after reaching T10. None of this Reputation can be accessed until you hit level 50 and finished at least two other Reputations.

The First Officer System needs to be implemented. All ships have one. It's just like having a separate Boff station but just for your FO, passives included. They can use the skills that they already come with but with some sort of modifier depending on what profession they're in and what power. However, the powers that the FO is using cannot have a duplicate of any tier be used by another Boff in a separate station, chose wisely. Once a FO is chosen that Boff is locked in for 24 hours and cannot be swapped out until after.

I know a lot of you complain about there not being enough filler content for 10 new levels, if that is what they decide to increase it by. But think about it. What "really" goes on in the Star Trek universe behind the scenes. That's right, lots of repetitive bull. System checks, sector scans, the occasional pirate to blow up and more mindless grind than we could imagine. Yes it gets boring, but we can put up with it until the next bone they throw at us.

Just my 2 cents. I know you all don't agree with it but whatever. That's why these forums are here.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is a problem, because all the sudden all that fleet gear you grinded forever for is no longer the best stuff, all your stuff, instantly rendered sub-par. Which means grinding all over again. I foresee many angry people.
    This is the story of every level-based MMO. Experienced players know this. Newbs will have to learn.